Bills vs Broncos-Monday Night Football

BuffaloBillyG

3 hours ago, ngbills said:

We will hear how much DEN is better than the team that gave up 70 points. We will play to their level and either win close or possibly lose. Then DEN will go to MIN and lose by 50+ the next week. 

Josh Dobbs isn’t hanging 50 on anyone.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

Always in the back of my mind,….

on Thanksgiving weekend 2020, the Bucs lost to KC at home to fall to 7-5.  Then Tampa had a bye in week 13 (same as Buffalo this year).  They came out of the bye and won 8 in a row to win the Super Bowl.  Easy peasey right?!?

We just need to get that Tom Brady guy. I wonder what he’s doing these days? 

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

If you want a coaching change,  root for a loss 🙃

Ughhhh I couldn’t do it. We still have a chance. As bad as we look it’s always refreshing to see the Jets get destroyed at home. 

Chiefs are the class of the AFC and look SB bound. The AFC East is still up for grabs. It’s a strange year. It seems like most teams are capable of winning. 

• Like (+1) 3

57 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Can't do it.  The Bengals & Chiefs walked away from coaches who were regularly getting their teams to the playoffs because ownership recognized that the current coaches could not get the team over the hump.  I'm hoping that Pegula sees the situation in the same way that the Brown's & Hunt's did.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Any day the Josh Allen led Buffalo Bills play a football game, I like their chances.

That being said, this game is one that I feel like either breaks our season, or gives you nothing in return (aside from the W). 

If we win, regardless of how it looks, we’ll still have our doubts and apprehensions. 

I haven’t looked too much into the Broncos statistics this year, but from what I’ve heard in passing, I’m going to focus much more on their last 3 games than the entire season. 

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Breakout Squad said:

Ughhhh I couldn’t do it. We still have a chance. As bad as we look it’s always refreshing to see the Jets get destroyed at home. 

Chiefs are the class of the AFC and look SB bound. The AFC East is still up for grabs. It’s a strange year. It seems like most teams are capable of winning. 

The team that got hammered by Denver is the clear class? Don't seem at all clear to me.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Can't do it.  The Bengals & Chiefs walked away from coaches who were regularly getting their teams to the playoffs because ownership recognized that the current coaches could not get the team over the hump.  I'm hoping that Pegula sees the situation in the same way that the Brown's & Hunt's did.

Who are you talking about-- Romeo Crennel or are you talking about Schottenheimer? 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Casey D said:

Who are you talking about-- Romeo Crennel or are you talking about Schottenheimer? 

Shottenhiemer. He was very successful at winning games and getting the Chiefs to the playoffs but I think he was 3 - 7 in playoff games.  I know he officially "resigned" but he was forced out by ownership.  Now it didn't work out for the Chiefs as the next coach couldn't even get them to the playoffs whch is the risk if the Bills were to part ways with McD.  But they made the bold move based on their realization that Marty was not going to get them to a SB.

The better and more timely example IMO is Marvin Lewis in Cincinnati.  Lewis worked a major miracle in turning around a horrid Bengal's franchise.  That team was bad, very bad. A lot like the Bills team that McD took over. And like McD Lewis fixed the problems and transformed a loser into a winner and multi year playoff team.  But Lewis never won a playoff game (0 - 7 I think) and as a defensive minded coach he was ultimately the wrong guy to get the Bengals over the hump.  So Mike Brown went with a young offensive minded guy in Zack Taylor.

Two examples one with a sad ending and one with a happy ending.  But two examples of ownership walking away from head aches who enjoyed a lot of success.

12 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Shottenhiemer. He was very successful at winning games and getting the Chiefs to the playoffs but I think he was 3 - 7 in playoff games.  I know he officially "resigned" but he was forced out by ownership.  Now it didn't work out for the Chiefs as the next coach couldn't even get them to the playoffs whch is the risk if the Bills were to part ways with McD.  But they made the bold move based on their realization that Marty was not going to get them to a SB.

The better and more timely example IMO is Marvin Lewis in Cincinnati.  Lewis worked a major miracle in turning around a horrid Bengal's franchise.  That team was bad, very bad. A lot like the Bills team that McD took over. And like McD Lewis fixed the problems and transformed a loser into a winner and multi year playoff team.  But Lewis never won a playoff game (0 - 7 I think) and as a defensive minded coach he was ultimately the wrong guy to get the Bengals over the hump.  So Mike Brown went with a young offensive minded guy in Zack Taylor.

Two examples one with a sad ending and one with a happy ending.  But two examples of ownership walking away from head aches who enjoyed a lot of success.

Well the Chiefs were in the wilderness for 15 years, and Lewis had a much worse record than McDermott.  You better have a sure-fire candidate in mind before you fire a guy with McDermott's record.  Chances are you will most likely go backwards.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 2

Just now, Casey D said:

Well the Chiefs were in the wilderness for 15 years, and Lewis had a much worse record than McDermott.  You better have a sure-fire candidate in mind before you fire a guy with McDermott's record.  Chances are you will most likely go backwards.

McD has Allen which IMO has been the difference versus Lewis.  I agree that firing McD is risky.  But I believe that with an offensive minded coach and Allen this team will go the way of the Bengals who got the coach right first then got the QB right.  We have the QB what is in doubt is whether or not we have the coach and more importantly coaching/management philosophy to fully exploit the special QB we have. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

McD has Allen which IMO has been the difference versus Lewis.  I agree that firing McD is risky.  But I believe that with an offensive minded coach and Allen this team will go the way of the Bengals who got the coach right first then got the QB right.  We have the QB what is in doubt is whether or not we have the coach and more importantly coaching/management philosophy to fully exploit the special QB we have. 

Like Josh McDaniels?  Finding "that" coach is almost as hard as finding the right QB

Edited by Casey D
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Casey D said:

Like Josh McDaniels?  Finding "that" coach is almost as hard as finding the right QB

I would take the chance pending the outcome of this season.  If McD stabilizes the Bills situation and they go on a run and win the AFC East and then win a playoff game or two McD will have proven us naysayers at least partially wrong. Get to the AFC Championship game or a SB and he will have definitively proven us wrong and I would be very happy to admit I was wrong. 

The thing I don't want to live through is a slow decline like they had in Cincy under Lewis.  That's worse then an implosion.

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I would take the chance pending the outcome of this season.  If McD stabilizes the Bills situation and they go on a run and win the AFC East and then win a playoff game or two McD will have proven us naysayers at least partially wrong. Get to the AFC Championship game or a SB and he will have definitively proven us wrong and I would be very happy to admit I was wrong. 

The thing I don't want to live through is a slow decline like they had in Cincy under Lewis.  That's worse then an implosion.

Fair enough.  But we have no say and McD is not going anywhere after one down year after taking a laughing-stock franchise and turning it into a primetime team.  So I am not going to contemplate something that won't happen until 2025 at the earliest.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Casey D said:

Fair enough.  But we have no say and McD is not going anywhere after one down year after taking a laughing-stock franchise and turning it into a primetime team.  So I am not going to contemplate something that won't happen until 2025 at the earliest.

You are probably right and that's a shame.  The current NFL is a league where owners have to make snap decisions.  Maintaining the status quo will not get this team over the hump.  The ONLY way it might work is if Bean takes control and tells McD that the lions share of resources are going to the offense for the next 3 seasons and that we're bringing in an experienced OC who specializes in dual threat QB's.

I watched what happened to Carson Palmer down here in Cincinnati.  When Palmer became convinced the Bengal's were not building a team that could win a SB because of their criminal neglect of the O line (sound familiar) he forced his way off the team by "retiring".  I could see this happening with Allen a couple of years down the road if they stick with McD who tries to turn Allen into Brock Purdy while spending 3rd round draft picks and signing other teams backups for the O line.

• Like (+1) 3

You have to have Fournette up for this. Our offense is completely stuck in the mud. Throw in a RB that can run it when they know you are running it,  pass protect and catch it out of the backfield. What we are doing isn’t working and you can’t wait any longer to play your hand here. You have to start treating these games like they matter because they all do. It might even be too late to really get it rolling but you have to at least try. I’d bring Fournette up and start him. Show the Broncos something we haven’t put on tape yet. A physically imposing offense that will roll down hill at you and not stop moving.

Put Gilliam out there with him. 5/41 in the backfield, 2 TEs, very good run blocking WRs, unbalanced lines, a QB that can run power and play action. Let’s change the identity of this team this week and go on a run. Hybrid of 15 panthers/22 Eagles offense…save the season 

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Could win, could lose.  Bills defense depleted by injuries and with sucky draft picks and offense not right.  Not sure what type of game Russell Wilson will have but guessing Bills will win circling the wagons for the week.

3 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

This is stupid on every conceivable level.

Edited by Mr. Wonderful
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 hours ago, HopelessNJBuffaloFan said:

Another game to make a losing team look like Super bowl contenders. Why the hell can we not we have a regular schedule so we can embarrass ourselves at 1:00 PM and we can be over it by 7 PM?? Another game i will watch a few series, shut it off and take something to go to bed. LOL 

I can already envision our D chasing a fat over the hill Wilson to the first down marker and not get the tackle.

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Oddly the Chiefs got Reid because his team also recognized he couldn't get Philly over the hump.  Both teams have since been to Super Bowls lol.

I banged the table for the Bills to get Reid that year.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

Scouting report from a Colorado guy who's watched way too much Broncos football:

- Bye week, so Sean Payton was hitting the video hard? Umm, no. I hear he went to Cabo last week. So one solid week of prep ...

- Offense: Payton does have the run game working now. Javonte Williams will hurt us up the middle. He's tough to bring down and is finally back in pre-ACL form. Perine is also a load to bring down up the middle. I hope Linval Joseph is in mid season form and can play a lot of snaps. Jaleel McLaughlin is their Deonte Harty but younger, with better instincts, and an outside threat. The Broncos passing game is still a work in progress. Russell Wilson still holds the ball too long and lacks the escapability he had in Seattle. He can still throw with authority if he has a lane; he's more susceptible than ever to batted down passes. So a pass rush is key, even more than in most games. Receivers: horrible TE situation, but Jeudy is finally playing well and Sutton's length makes him a great red zone target. Mims is a rookie flyer who can hurt you deep or on an end run but not really integrated into the passing game. Broncos main issue has been finishing drives, and while I think they can move the ball I'm not confident they can convert drives into more than a couple TDs max.

- Defense: let's be honest, they gave up in that game where Miami put up 70. It's to their credit that they pulled it back together. Yes, they were lucky vs. KC, but they also do have playmakers: Simmons is as good as they get at safety. Pat Surtain Jr. is as good a CB as there is - not many QBs challenge him. Josey Jewell and now Nick Bonitto are also playmakers. I'm not so concerned about the pass rush, unless of course Vance Joseph dials up more blitzes than he usually does and the Bills once again fail to pick them up. It sounds stupid to say that a team that gave up 70 has a good defense, but I'm gonna say it: it's a good defense ... when reasonably healthy, which they are now.

Strategy: on defense, find some way to plug the middle and stop the run game. The Broncos pass game is still pretty rudimentary and Russ will turn it over/take drive killing sacks/cause his line to hold as he hangs on too long. On offense, take what they give you! They have the playmakers to make Allen pay for trying to force things. Other than Surtain the CBs aren't very good, so just throw to the side opposite him and watch out for Simmons. Gabe Davis, this is your chance to shine. I think we can run the ball up the middle, less so to the outside, so let's see some Fournette and Murray. Special teams: Don't give Mims a chance to burn you; easier said than done. He has special return talent.

The Bills, even with a beat up defense, are the better team, but this could be a close one and could really go either way. Bills 24, Broncos 20.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Any day the Josh Allen led Buffalo Bills play a football game, I like their chances.

That being said, this game is one that I feel like either breaks our season, or gives you nothing in return (aside from the W). 

If we win, regardless of how it looks, we’ll still have our doubts and apprehensions. 

I haven’t looked too much into the Broncos statistics this year, but from what I’ve heard in passing, I’m going to focus much more on their last 3 games than the entire season. 

Not sure how any Bills’ fan can be confident about Allen now.  If the Bills lose to the Broncos, this season is officially a mope fest.

Is there a leader on this team?  Not expecting Tom Brady, but someone has to step up and take charge on the field and on the sidelines because this team is soft. 

• Eyeroll 1

13 hours ago, HopelessNJBuffaloFan said:

That's only because i truly love hockey and as long as there is A Buffalo hockey team, it keeps my soul. Football i can honestly take or leave. 

We can tell

3 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

You have to have Fournette up for this. Our offense is completely stuck in the mud. Throw in a RB that can run it when they know you are running it,  pass protect and catch it out of the backfield. What we are doing isn’t working and you can’t wait any longer to play your hand here. You have to start treating these games like they matter because they all do. It might even be too late to really get it rolling but you have to at least try. I’d bring Fournette up and start him. Show the Broncos something we haven’t put on tape yet. A physically imposing offense that will roll down hill at you and not stop moving.

Put Gilliam out there with him. 5/41 in the backfield, 2 TEs, very good run blocking WRs, unbalanced lines, a QB that can run power and play action. Let’s change the identity of this team this week and go on a run. Hybrid of 15 panthers/22 Eagles offense…save the season 

What two tight ends?

36 minutes ago, KeLLy1278 said:

Not sure how any Bills’ fan can be confident about Allen now.  If the Bills lose to the Broncos, this season is officially a mope fest.

Is there a leader on this team?  Not expecting Tom Brady, but someone has to step up and take charge on the field and on the sidelines because this team is soft. 

Imagine being a fan that has a MVP candidate at quarterback for the last four years and then starting to doubt him as soon as there’s a blip in the road says more about you than him

6 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Oddly the Chiefs got Reid because his team also recognized he couldn't get Philly over the hump.  Both teams have since been to Super Bowls lol.

I banged the table for the Bills to get Reid that year.

I think the bills were interested. But Reid wasn’t interested in the lack of talent in Buffalo as well as the dysfunction 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

If we win, regardless of how it looks, we’ll still have our doubts and apprehensions

6-4 is much much sexier than 5-5. If we come out not only with the win, but looking sharp and crisp on offense I think that would do a lot to increase fan morale. If we get the win and look like we did on offense against the Giants...then yes I agree it still leaves a lot of doubt. Both of these next 2 games, at home against beatable opponents are must win.

11 hours ago, Breakout Squad said:

I don't think so at all. Not this year. Baltimore looks really good. Cincinnati is back to form. And for all the talk about them not beating a team with a winning record, if Miami gets home field for the playoffs (their losses all road games) they could be dangerous as well. 

11 hours ago, Breakout Squad said:

The Baltimore Ravens would like a word with you.

9 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

That's a bold strategy, Cotton, and I like it! But I seriously doubt that the brain trust at OBD has the cajones (or smarts...LOL) to do it.

• Like (+1) 1

In the poll “is ten wins enough” there is no consensus of whether or not it is.  Split opinion. But I would say there is a consensus that 10 is the minimum to make the playoffs. 

In the second question “path to 10 wins”, the vote indicates that the voters think we will fall short of 10. However over 95 percent of respondents think beating the Broncos is part of a realistic path to 10.  

D-Day was a must win. Football is just a game. But the likelihood of making the playoffs seems to plummet if we don’t beat the Broncos. 

• Like (+1) 1

Considering how we have been playing, Rest of the remaining games will be a nail bitter.  I just hope they pull out next two games at home against the easiest team on the remaining schedule.  It is too early to call for the season.

Edited by kkim0904

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.