A commonality among the Bills recent signings

Simon

I'm not going to give the Bills hell about the way the season ended last year. Between the absurd string of personal tragedies that started as early as training camp and the spate of devastating injuries they suffered by the end of the year, it's a miracle they made it as far as they did.

What I will give them hell about is that they were absolutely, positively physically intimidated by that Bengals team. It's undeniable and there is just no place for that on a ballfield for any reason whatsoever.

So what do they do the week before they play the Bengals again?

Add Linval Joseph, a widely respected leader and genuine badass who has spent his career as one of the biggest, strongest, toughest players in the league.

Add Rasul Douglas, another respected leader and oversized, physical, aggressive player who has zero fear on a football field.

Add Leonard Fournette, a brick shlthouse of a running back who would rather run through somebody than around them.

This is absolutely not a co-incidence. 

McBeane recognized the problem and took proactive steps to address it right before it was time to knock heads with these guys again.

• Like (+1) 31
  • Agree 18
  • Awesome! (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 6

24 minutes ago, Simon said:

I'm not going to give the Bills hell about the way the season ended last year. Between the absurd string of personal tragedies that started as early as training camp and the spate of devastating injuries they suffered by the end of the year, it's a miracle they made it as far as they did.

What I will give them hell about is that they were absolutely, positively physically intimidated by that Bengals team. It's undeniable and there is just no place for that on a ballfield for any reason whatsoever.

Add Linval Joseph, a widely respected leader and genuine badass who has spent his career as one of the biggest, strongest, toughest players in the league.

Add Rasul Douglas, another respected leader and oversized, physical, aggressive player who has zero fear on a football field.

Add Leonard Fournette, a brick shlthouse of a running back who would rather run through somebody than around them.

McBeane recognized the problem and took proactive steps to address it right before it was time to knock heads with these guys again.

Never connected the dots. Thanks for doing so. 

I certainly hope the Bills are more tougher, meaner and more intimidating to other teams now. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills added three players who have won Super Bowls and are tough veteran players. Joseph and Fournette were both contributors to their SB teams. Although Douglas was not a starter in the playoffs during his rookie year run he has been an established veteran with 3 playoff starts. 

Overall all the Bills not only replaced an offensive role player (Harris) and brought on defensive reinforcements at two positions where they were desperately needed (CB and DT) but they got guys with experience who may have something in the tank (esp Douglas and Fournette). The Bills got a whole lot tougher which will only help. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Are any of these players even active this Sunday given they have to learn the playbook?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Coldfronts said:

All great points but one thing I can't get past is that they are all past their prime.  A youthful team with a few veterans usually get you there, but that's not what we 

Fournette is 5 years younger than Murray (33) and Douglas is the same age as White (28). Joseph may be older, but, still better than anything we currrently have active as a DT1. ALL 3 were very good additions. 

• Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

6 hours ago, Simon said:

But will any of them play this weekend 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Are any of these players even active this Sunday given they have to learn the playbook?

Fair question.

Just a gut feeling that Joseph will be in there. He did it last year in Philly. I think he can again. Douglas is the question mark in my mind. I hope so, but I'd call him doubtful. Would love to be surprised here, but if he needs the extra week to learn terminology, I'm good with that. Can't have blown coverage against Burrow.  Fournette, listening to Beane seems the biggest longshot IMO.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Xwnyer said:

But will any of them play this weekend 

If I had to guess, I would say there's a very good possibility of Joseph and Fournette get to play. Douglas,  I'd say likely to get some time, but I'd be surprised if he got much. Barring inj***** of course. 

Didn't want to say it...😁

Edited by LyndonvilleBill
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Simon said:

Yuuup!

Really a theme to get bigger and tougher for whole off-season continuing into the season.  Kincaid replaced Beasley role.  Cyrus added beef to middie of line.  Harris is a power back and Fournette is an even bigger replacement.  Rapp is a bigger version of Hamlin.  Rasul is a bigger Tre replacement and Joseph is the immovable 1 Tech we probably needed even if Daquan was healthy.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Fournette is 5 years younger than Murray (33) and Douglas is the same age as White (28). Joseph may be older, but, still better than anything we currrently have active as a DT1. ALL 3 were very good additions. 

Actually, Douglas is 29 and that's my point. The team is not getting younger but older with every new signing.  The NFL is a youth foundation league with a few older veterans scattered in.  The Bills are the opposite, with youth scattered in.  Bill are tied for the 2nd or 3rd oldest team in the NFL.  Got to win NOW!

• Eyeroll 1

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

My guesses:

Linval Joseph is dressed, gets about 15-20 snaps and is effective

Rasul Douglas is maybe dressed and maybe plays some kick cover,  but mostly spends the day working with the DB group learning the lingo, seeing how they communicate, asking coach questions in real time, etc.

Leonard Fournette is dressed, but in civvies, and it is so much polar gear that nobody can tell who he is.

These guys are all good on-the-field fits for this franchise right now, but I think they were selected as much for their attitudes and aggressive tendencies as their physical characteristics. That leadership rubs off on people regardless of what is happening on the field.

1 hour ago, 4th&long said:

A week before? If what you say is true I’m sure it would have happened more than just a week before. 

It takes two to tango. They're not inert loaves of bread you just grab off the shelf, they have to agree to when they are going to sign or make a trade.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Excellent thread and great observation. I’m just glad to see them make the moves to replace the injured starters. I honestly thought they might just stick with what they had. Let’s face it, going into the season you don’t know who’ll get hurt and at what position but when you do, you have a choice to roll with your backups or go and get replenishments. The Bills did the latter. They were down a RB, CB, DT and LB. They replaced three of the four. So I’m hoping that says something about the LB core and the chance of Milano returning. 

Edited by SoCal Deek

8 hours ago, Simon said:

counter: if he could have traded for tackle avoiding height of his career Deion sanders he would’ve.

at this point in the season strength and attitude are cheaper and more readily available than speed/skill

coincidentally, we could use some attitude so it’s not bad but I don’t know if he sought that archetype as much as those are the type you can snag cheap in November 

2 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Sometimes old linemen can be key contributors to a championship team. Whitworth is a recent example. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Simon said:

It's deniable. I'm denying it here.

Were they beaten physically? Yeah, they were. Not buying the intimidated thing, though. 

The Bills at the time said they just didn't have the energy, the juice. That's what it looked like to me, a team that was emotionally exhausted. I didn't see a bit of intimidation there, myself. I think they played tougher more physical teams last year without being intimidated, the Titans, the Ravens, ... . Why would the Bengals be special? They're a good team but no more physically intimidating than most others in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

It's deniable. I'm denying it here.

Were they beaten physically? Yeah, they were. Not buying the intimidated thing, though. 

They were ducking contact and taking chickenspit angles all over the place.

I don't know why that was the case with that particular team, but I could smell the fear from 200 miles away. :(

31 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

counter: if he could have traded for tackle avoiding height of his career Deion sanders he would’ve.

at this point in the season strength and attitude are cheaper and more readily available than speed/skill

coincidentally, we could use some attitude so it’s not bad but I don’t know if he sought that archetype as much as those are the type you can snag cheap in November 

That's a fair point, but the archetype and the timing are so suggestive that it strikes me as having more meaning than just availability.

1 hour ago, Coldfronts said:

Actually, Douglas is 29 and that's my point. The team is not getting younger but older with every new signing.  The NFL is a youth foundation league with a few older veterans scattered in.  The Bills are the opposite, with youth scattered in.  Bill are tied for the 2nd or 3rd oldest team in the NFL.  Got to win NOW!

We really don't have to win now. Not that I'd be against winning now, of course.  But it's not like if it doesn't happen now it won't happen. There are some older guys who don't have much longer to go, such as Latavius Murray, Poyer and Hyde, Sam Martin, AJ Klein, and Von Miller as well, and now Linval Joseph. Those guys won't be with us all that much longer, and when we lose them, Poyer and Hyde would seem to be the biggest losses, and they can be replaced with McD's scheme and ability to coach up a D-backfield. Von would be a huge loss if he ever recovers to earlier levels. I hope he does, but this d-line is playing well even without that.

What you don't want to be is old and bad. We're not.

20 minutes ago, Simon said:

I don't know why that was the case with that particular team, but I could smell the fear from 200 miles away. :(

Could be a nose issue.

I saw crappy tackling and play, but no fear. They looked more anesthetized than fearful.

Again, Cincy is a very good team, especially when Burrow is playing well. Not especially physically terrifying, though.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

These guys are all seasoned vet pros, and likely already have an understanding of the Bills zone Defence, and our new RB knows how to pass block and run or catch a pass, so they damn well better start!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

These guys are all seasoned vet pros, and likely already have an understanding of the Bills zone Defence, and our new RB knows how to pass block and run or catch a pass, so they damn well better start!

Not real likely, IMO.

It's more complicated than having a general idea of the scheme. I'd expect some snaps for two, maybe even three, but not a ton, myself. 

We'll see.

Just now, Thurman#1 said:

Not real likely, IMO.

It's more complicated than having a general idea of the scheme. I'd expect some snaps for two, maybe even three, but not a ton, myself. 

We'll see.

Sure there are specifics to learn but these guys have been around long enough to be able to play during the Bengals game, they haven’t stuck around in the league this long because they aren’t  able to learn quickly, just the opposite is the case. But you are right we will see if Sean has the brass to actually play these guys. 

1 hour ago, Simon said:

My guesses:

Linval Joseph is dressed, gets about 15-20 snaps and is effective

Rasul Douglas is maybe dressed and maybe plays some kick cover,  but mostly spends the day working with the DB group learning the lingo, seeing how they communicate, asking coach questions in real time, etc.

Leonard Fournette is dressed, but in civvies, and it is so much polar gear that nobody can tell who he is.

These guys are all good on-the-field fits for this franchise right now, but I think they were selected as much for their attitudes and aggressive tendencies as their physical characteristics. That leadership rubs off on people regardless of what is happening on the field.

It takes two to tango. They're not inert loaves of bread you just grab off the shelf, they have to agree to when they are going to sign or make a trade.

Only one was a trade. Plus they had the off season till now. Sorry I just don’t agree with your post.

I do feel like when we were winning big - we were playing with attitude on both sides of the ball.  It's a tough way to play sustained all year, but that's what you want to be as a wildcard team going into the playoffs.  

If we want to play physical on offense we have guys for it both passing and running the ball- Allen, Knox, Kincaid, Fournette, Murray, Davis.  We also have speed and quickness with Diggs, Cook, Shakir, Harty.  

Defensively - 8 man rotation of guys who have ability to create havoc - hopefully Joseph can let the LBs make some plays.  Back end we have smaller LBs but bigger corners and adding douglas is just another player who will hit you.  We will miss tackles, and we will give up some chunks - but make them earn it.  

If you don't think a team like that is dangerous come playoff time... I'd say you are wrong.  

1 hour ago, Simon said:

That's a fair point, but the archetype and the timing are so suggestive that it strikes me as having more meaning than just availability.

I mean, from a psychology perspective, the entire team literally watched an unconscious teammate in a life threatening situation be carted off the field without any clear indication that he was alive/okay the last time they had faced that team. Granted a few weeks passed, and the game against the same team was played in a different venue, but the emotional and psychological triggers are still there. Mentally, that wound was still extremely fresh.

You can make every argument you want but the mind can be a funny place sometimes. Being on that field, against that team, given what had happened less than a month ago could have just been too much for some of them to handle in that moment. That mood/vibe spreads like a virus as well, as people look towards certain teammates for leadership and when they see that those guys aren't in it, suddenly nobody is in it.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Your point is dull.

Clearly math or use of internet search is too.

Born: August 29, 1995

https://www.timeanddate.com/date/durationresult.html?m1=8&d1=29&y1=1995&m2=11&d2=3&y2=2023

From and including: Tuesday, August 29, 1995
To, but not including Friday, November 3, 2023

Result: 10,293 days

It is 10,293 days from the start date to the end date, but not including the end date.

Or 28 years, 2 months, 5 days excluding the end date.

He is actually 29, Sal asked him straight up because his ProfootballReference and wikipedia has different DOB.

• Thank you (+1) 1

historically speaking, Jacksonville has a long history of physically overpowering us.  Ever since our first meeting in the 96 playoffs.  We're usually more talented than they are, but they regularly beat us up and take our lunch money including 3 of the last 4 meetings.

As for this game, I'm betting Fournette definitely plays with a couple of designed plays for him to learn in a hurry and of course short-yardage.  Joseph plays some obvious running downs with a "just don't get moved" mandate.

Remember when we liked the Bengals?

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

We really don't have to win now. Not that I'd be against winning now, of course.  But it's not like if it doesn't happen now it won't happen. There are some older guys who don't have much longer to go, such as Latavius Murray, Poyer and Hyde, Sam Martin, AJ Klein, and Von Miller as well, and now Linval Joseph. Those guys won't be with us all that much longer, and when we lose them, Poyer and Hyde would seem to be the biggest losses, and they can be replaced with McD's scheme and ability to coach up a D-backfield. Von would be a huge loss if he ever recovers to earlier levels. I hope he does, but this d-line is playing well even without that.

What you don't want to be is old and bad. We're not.

Could be a nose issue.

I saw crappy tackling and play, but no fear. They looked more anesthetized than fearful.

Again, Cincy is a very good team, especially when Burrow is playing well. Not especially physically terrifying, though.

Physically terrifying, no they are not. However they play with attitude and sometimes they even cross the line from playing "chippy" to downright dirty. 

And that's where having guys that can bring that physicality right back to them comes into play. Joseph is going to bring that if he plays. Should Fournette be active, we know firsthand he will not stand for the BS and will get physical if needed...be it he's involved in the play or not.

One thing that has traditionally bothered me about the Bills is that teams know you can bully them a bit. Not so much these days IMO.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Simon said:

Simon, I like and agree with your entire comment on the beginning of this thread, but don’t you scold us for cursing at times.  Sauce for the goose…

I do appreciate the thread although Douglas had actually a slow beginning to his career.  It was the last two years where’d he reinvented himself.  My hope is Elam can do the same by year 3.  He has the natural abilities.  He just has to put it together.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Fair question.

Just a gut feeling that Joseph will be in there. He did it last year in Philly. I think he can again. Douglas is the question mark in my mind. I hope so, but I'd call him doubtful. Would love to be surprised here, but if he needs the extra week to learn terminology, I'm good with that. Can't have blown coverage against Burrow.  Fournette, listening to Beane seems the biggest longshot IMO.

I'd say there's just as much chance of Douglas blowing an occasional assignment as there was watching Elam doing exactly that.   And Douglas's upside is much higher.  I'm not sure Douglas really has his head on right yet.  He seemed very sad to be leaving Green Bay, although he said the right things about helping his new team win.  Fingers crossed he's ready.

42 minutes ago, bmur66 said:

Bills were exposed as being soft by the Bengals. I took notes of who showed up for that game. Milano will be missed. This upcoming game will be a good barometer of who the Bills really are this year.

Milano is missed, every play of every game when the Bills are on defense.  Can't be helped.  Bernard is looking very active and smart, but he's a little undersized and the Bengals are very physical.  So who knows.  Maybe the addition of Joseph can help.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.