A commonality among the Bills recent signings

Simon

11 hours ago, Simon said:

I'm not going to give the Bills hell about the way the season ended last year. Between the absurd string of personal tragedies that started as early as training camp and the spate of devastating injuries they suffered by the end of the year, it's a miracle they made it as far as they did.

What I will give them hell about is that they were absolutely, positively physically intimidated by that Bengals team. It's undeniable and there is just no place for that on a ballfield for any reason whatsoever.

So what do they do the week before they play the Bengals again?

Add Linval Joseph, a widely respected leader and genuine badass who has spent his career as one of the biggest, strongest, toughest players in the league.

Add Rasul Douglas, another respected leader and oversized, physical, aggressive player who has zero fear on a football field.

Add Leonard Fournette, a brick shlthouse of a running back who would rather run through somebody than around them.

This is absolutely not a co-incidence. 

McBeane recognized the problem and took proactive steps to address it right before it was time to knock heads with these guys again.

Great post! I wish they would have made all 3 moves sooner. Especially the Joseph move. Other than Oliver I have zero faith in our present 3 tackles.
The additional toughness and leadership is way overdue. Without these moves I just see a repeat performance of the Cincinnati playoff game. I hope at least two of them are playing Sunday… better with all 3! End the softness!!

10 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Just compete this time. No more excuses. No snow, no wrong cleats, no Hamlin narrative.  Punch them in the mouth.

I certainly support Hamlin but please have him inactive this week… need our players to focus on nothing but the game.

5 hours ago, 4th&long said:

A week before? If what you say is true I’m sure it would have happened more than just a week before. 

I get where you’re coming from, but Beane mentioned he had been in talks with Joseph’s rep for weeks.  We can’t force him to sign when, and for whatever amount, we are able to offer. 

Fournette replaces Damien Harris, who also brings that physicality.  They probably waited to see how Harris’ situation plays out.. saw it will be a while, and then made the move. 

As far as Rasul Douglas, the foundation for that deal was also planted about a week or so prior, according to Beane.  We clearly wanted the younger, potentially elite, player in Jaylon Johnson.. but once it was deemed Chicago was asking for way too much, we pivoted back to a guy we targeted as our B option earlier.   Deals typically happen the day of, or before, the trade deadline for a reason.  Deadlines spark action. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Simon said:

McBeane recognized the problem and took proactive steps to address it right before it was time to knock heads with these guys again.

It's been a the Method of Operation since the off-season. The last  three signings re-enforcements.  Getting Torrence, McGovern, Edwards, Murray, Harris, Rapp, Floyd. All physical players that upgraded their positions with a nastier edge to their game. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I freaking LOVE the Linval Joseph signing! 

He is a real life version of a guy I would create in Madden as a DT.

Also love that he's coming in totally fresh for the stretch run. Shows he is incredibly smart too. Not that injuries can't happen later in the season, but he didn't go down with some nagging injury in week 3 or 4 in a game nobody is going to remember or care about come January. 

The man is 100% in early November and ready to contribute when it matters most. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Simon said:

I'm not going to give the Bills hell about the way the season ended last year. Between the absurd string of personal tragedies that started as early as training camp and the spate of devastating injuries they suffered by the end of the year, it's a miracle they made it as far as they did.

What I will give them hell about is that they were absolutely, positively physically intimidated by that Bengals team. It's undeniable and there is just no place for that on a ballfield for any reason whatsoever.

Add Linval Joseph, a widely respected leader and genuine badass who has spent his career as one of the biggest, strongest, toughest players in the league.

Add Rasul Douglas, another respected leader and oversized, physical, aggressive player who has zero fear on a football field.

Add Leonard Fournette, a brick shlthouse of a running back who would rather run through somebody than around them.

I like the moves to try to shore up some gaps in our lineup.   But I thought we were overhyping the Bengals ?  😛

13 hours ago, Simon said:

Oh come on man but Beane & McD suck from what's been said on here & we need to move on because he or they just never learn from their mistakes & as long as those guys are in charge our Bills will never be more than a good in season team to never make it to the big game . WHAT EVER !! 

I'm with you every season both of these guys learn something moving forward & i think the team is better for it ! The changes this year alone scream it . They addressed the O line, LB, RB, & DE which some needed major help in the off season & then were forced because of injury to bring in others to fortify those lost to injury .

I hope McD can be here until he retires but if he does show that he is just totally inept then get rid of him but it is a fine line to get it all to line up perfectly to win a SB it's just some don't see it & never will which you would think that after the 90's that might be easier to realize .

I think back to the Chuck Knox era, he brought in Phil Villipiano, Isiah Robertson and Bill Simpson. All were at the end of their careers. Robertson and Simpson played significant roles. All 3 were showing younger players like Fred Smerlas, Shane Nelson and Jim Haslett the way. Villipiano was on the team for 4 years but barely played, but he influenced the defensive mindset. 

While the Bills have guys like Von Miller that have the championship pedigree, it is also good to mix it up and inject something new into the equation. Douglas will play and probably start over Dane Jackson. Joseph will be a rotational player and Fournette probably will be RB3 or maybe more accurately RB2 1/2 (split with Murray). So they should all play a part. That's why to me they are reminiscent of Villipiano, B. Simpson and Robertson. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Physicality and toughness is certainly important.  But this isn't 1970's Raider football where you could literally beat the tar out of your opponent.  Any big time hit gets flagged in today's NFL.  Just look at last nite's game and the personal fouls called on both teams for landing with full bodyweight on the QB.  I think Poyer and Hyde would love to lay the wood on the Bengal's receivers.  But that's just a personal foul penalty waiting to happen.

But we do need to come out and play w attitude swag and confidence.  And that includes an aggressive game plan from the coaches.  Push the ball up the field.  Make the Bengals defense chase our guys.  The short passing game does nothing to put the opposing defense on their heals. 

Every series on offense is super critical.  Play call that way.  We have run the draw to Cook on second and long so many times this year.  And gotten nothing from it.  Take it out of the playbook.  Let Josh run as much as needed.  He is our x factor against a good team.  The Bengals went into San Fran and played a great game.  No reason we can't go into Cinci and play the same against them.  

And if there is any way to get Douglas Joseph and Fournette dressed for the game and involved on the field, they had best do it.  Because guys like Dane Jackson are just too small and unimposing physically to compete well against a team like the Bengals.

16 hours ago, Simon said:

+Bonus: Each player has a SB ring 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Simon said:

They were ducking contact and taking chickenspit angles all over the place.

I don't know why that was the case with that particular team, but I could smell the fear from 200 miles away. :(

That's a fair point, but the archetype and the timing are so suggestive that it strikes me as having more meaning than just availability.

I don’t doubt he’s cool with stocking up the personality type a bit. 

the other thing that softened my adherence to that take was also 2 of the 3 positions tend to be “those type.” Ie there aren’t a ton of run stuffing DTs and goal line backs that are delicate flowers. 

all that said, I do think beane was super down to get some attitude in the building. Just not sure if it was a plan or a happy coincidence based on the opportunity/needs

9 hours ago, SCBills said:

I get where you’re coming from, but Beane mentioned he had been in talks with Joseph’s rep for weeks.  We can’t force him to sign when, and for whatever amount, we are able to offer. 

Fournette replaces Damien Harris, who also brings that physicality.  They probably waited to see how Harris’ situation plays out.. saw it will be a while, and then made the move. 

As far as Rasul Douglas, the foundation for that deal was also planted about a week or so prior, according to Beane.  We clearly wanted the younger, potentially elite, player in Jaylon Johnson.. but once it was deemed Chicago was asking for way too much, we pivoted back to a guy we targeted as our B option earlier.   Deals typically happen the day of, or before, the trade deadline for a reason.  Deadlines spark action. 

yea, beane also made the comment about DT that they had several offers out and would take whoever said yes first like a day before linval signed. 

• Like (+1) 1

Id have liked to add Suh being that Phillips isn't the same as last year so far. He's got too much on his plate, for one.

It's be interesting if they called Kirksey, also. At least to the PS.

Those are the two pieces I wanted added. Gives us an angry, mean Suh and someone to have with Klein as a leadership and a floor at the LB positions

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/3/2023 at 12:13 AM, Simon said:

Love the analysis, hopefully we see the physicality and the experience pay dividends against the Bengals. We have to knock these clowns down a peg because they think they can dominate us after that collapse in our building. This is our opportunity to establish who we are in the hierarchy of the NFL. Up tempo, no huddle has to be the path to overcoming their defense. On defense, make sure Chase doesn’t wreck the game.

On 11/3/2023 at 12:13 AM, Simon said:

So they acknowledged what many of us have been saying for awhile? That they are soft?

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

So they acknowledged what many of us have been saying for awhile? That they are soft?

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

They look soft at the LOS on both of sides of the ball vs Bengals. Injuries factored in they should look stronger today. If not, that is on the players and coaches.

Good post @Simon, and I agree...

To add, I think they've realized this back to the off season. The interior O-line adds and development of a running game have been good adds that should help at the end of the year and in the playoffs vs. tough, physical teams like the Bengals.

I think the 3 recent additions will certainly help as we go as well, but I am concerned with how much they'll be able to add tonight. I wish we had one more week, especially for Douglass to pick up the disguised looks and terminology. It also sucks that Daquon Jones has been out for both the playoff game and today.

Edited by 34-78-83
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Simon said:

In 20+ years, I don't recall ever having done that once.

Simon, I’m kidding.  C’mon man.   The he double hockey stick always gets changed etc.  I really just am joking with you.  You know me by now.  I’m not the guy that picks fights. When someone personally attacks me I just ignore and never reply.  It’s not productive and not why I’m here enjoying you’re site.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.