Best Bills Cornerback of all time?

GerstAusGosheim

Best Bills Corner of All Time?  

277 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best Bills cornerback of all time?

2 hours ago, Bogie_Klinkhammer said:

Bobby James

Did he get hurt at a homer game? I have this vision of him to my left and it got ugly, but that might be some replay I saw. What a shame! No telling how it might have turned out with today’s medicine. 

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

Did he get hurt at a homer game? I have this vision of him to my left and it got ugly, but that might be some replay I saw. What a shame! No telling how it might have turned out with today’s medicine. 

I was in the endzone and he intercepted a pass,  he stumbled forward while avoiding a tackle with all his weight on one leg, the tackle bowed his leg backwards and I knew he was done, bad bad injury

22 minutes ago, Augie said:

Preseason against the Rams at Rich Stadium.

3 minutes ago, Bogie_Klinkhammer said:

I was in the endzone and he intercepted a pass,  he stumbled forward while avoiding a tackle with all his weight on one leg, the tackle bowed his leg backwards and I knew he was done, bad bad injury

Oh boy, that matches my memory. 

Are you with California Psychics?      😂 

I think I was on the far 40 looking left. I think that was my first ever sports related “OH! This is NOT GOOD!”  moment. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

Now that actually surprises me, as I think of him playing at the Rockpile, but I’m realizing a LOT of things were not the way you remember them. 

He played his first four years at the Rockpile and we all saw him play there so cut yourself and your memory some slack. 

• Haha (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

Oh boy, that matches my memory. 

Are you with California Psychics?      😂 

I think I was on the far 40 looking left. I think that was my first ever sports related “OH! This is NOT GOOD!”  moment. 

I am not sure why but I knew he was done. It was an unusual hit to a fully planted leg, never saw that type of injury then or now.  A leg fully bowing backwards. Horrible , my favorite player too

Edited by Bogie_Klinkhammer

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

Now that actually surprises me, as I think of him playing at the Rockpile, but I’m realizing a LOT of things were not the way you remember them. 

I thought it was the rockpile too but he played till 74. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Bogie_Klinkhammer said:

Hey Augie, says here he was injured in 75, I freaking give up.

https://thebuffalofanatics.com/walking-the-buffalo-bills-wall-of-fame-robert-james/

Yep. August of ‘75. Remember that particular game like it was yesterday. And for all the wrong reasons. I mean there is absolutely no reason to remember a meaningless preseason game to begin with. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Yep. August of ‘75. Remember that particular game like it was yesterday. And for all the wrong reasons. I mean there is absolutely no reason to remember a meaningless preseason game to begin with. 

It was almost 50 years ago. I remember $3 beer too.

• Haha (+1) 1

I remember the year to year shock of losing Winfield. He stepped it up even further immediately in Minnesota and it was very obvious very early how much of an impact player he was and it just felt like we screwed up again. And then he made 3 pro bowls in his 30s. 

7 hours ago, Nelius said:

I remember the year to year shock of losing Winfield. He stepped it up even further immediately in Minnesota and it was very obvious very early how much of an impact player he was and it just felt like we screwed up again. And then he made 3 pro bowls in his 30s. 

It hurt losing him and Pat Williams to the Vikings in that era 

Best Ball Skills? Clements

Best Tackler? Winfield (And best overall CB IMO)

Most recognized/ordained by NFL talking heads? Gilmore  (And White was cementing too as a "shutdown corner")

Which would you most want to return a kick off for you?  McGee (also excellent man-on-man)

(One of the best kick returns of all time, and it added up to nothing as time expired in the half lol)

- I didn't see Byrd or Edgerson play..

17 hours ago, K-9 said:

Yep. And it really isn’t all that close. 

Nope, that would be Robert James. 1st team All Pro in both 1973 and 1974 seasons. 

I still go with Butch Byrd, however I loved watching Robert James. One thing no one has mentioned yet is that James made his mark and earned his role initially as a great special teams gunner. 

• Like (+1) 2

Derrick Burroughs had a rough first couple of years, but he was coming on as the guy, but he got a career ending neck injury in Houston week 3 of the 1989 season.

He was a big, fast, physical corner that the SB teams SURELY could have used.

His career ended at age 27.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/31/2023 at 9:54 AM, Sierra Foothills said:

I knew we were forgetting someone... yes Thomas Smith was an excellent cornerback.

Former 1st rounder and started nearly 100 games for us.

Not a great ball athlete though.

I loved Thomas Smith.  Hell of a coverage corner. We could use a Thomas Smith about now.

On 10/31/2023 at 7:03 PM, BillsPride12 said:

I can't tell if this is supposed to be sarcasm.  Jabari Greer was super underrated.  I was a big fan of his when he was here.  Was happy for him when he got to win a Super Bowl in New Orleans 

I was so pissed about them keeping that kid glued to the bench faaaaar longer than they should have that I almost had to ban myself for crusading.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.