Week 9 thread - We’re on to Cincinnati

BillsFan619

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

I mean other QB's start the season injured. Other QB's don't throw 4 INTs in a game or throw for 82 yards.

He was awful, but again they had just removed a bag from his body.  Seriously, it was quite evident to the most novice fan.

56 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I feel genuinely curious and confused why you’d choose to come here to do that instead of a bengals board.

Threated? Offended? These are the kind of comments that lead people to determine you’re crusading. 

Talk ball all ya want. Finding a respectful tone while visiting an opposing teams board is free. 

Why do you ask such bizarre questions?  Why do you care?  Why can you not accept that fans of a team have better insight and fans of others enjoy learning and sharing?

Feel free to ignore me, Im not here to troll, but Im not here to answer stupid personal questions from emotionally unstable people either (I'm assuming that your name is a direct correlation....?)

Edited by Caesar
  • Vomit 2
  • Dislike 1

It’s fair to say Bengals fans are extremely confident they are going to kick the Bills in a beat down. It’s Bills fault that the game was canceled etc… Bills are soft .. Cook gets 10 carries but not committed and Josh is all off script. Much like Phil Simms , Bills have no chance!!!

6 hours ago, FLFan said:

I understand your point, but you are just wrong when it comes to the Bengals.  They have an MO of whining and searching for extra motivation by hanging on to dumb stuff, and just making stuff up as in the case currently being debated.  Their coach encourages it.  He was behind the whole "we are being dissed because the Bills are selling Championship tickets" BS last year.  This is not fans being sensitive despite your arrogant comments.  In the case of the Bengals, it's a real thing.  They are whiney *****, led by a whiney B word.  Sorry, but its true.  You will never see the Bills doing this, because they have real leaders.

If searching for dis-offs gets a team to come out physical and motivated, then that's what they need to do.

The Bengals came out ready to play last January and the Bills came out flat.  They won.  We lost.

Until we stomp them into Tiger-fur carpets (as God intended Buffalo to do), I can't critique what they do and praise our coaches.  It worked for them.  Whatever we did, didn't work for us.

Sunday night, let's hope that changes.

9 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

If I remember correctly Hendrixson when he went to the ground picked his head up and changed the direction of his roll into to make sure it was into allen

He did.  Let's hope the Bills remember.

Edited by Beck Water

9 hours ago, Logic said:

You sure are mouthy for a guest in enemy territory. 

We get all sorts of visiting fans from opposing teams. You sure are choosing to go about your business an...in interesting way.

Good luck to you, and good luck to your Bengals this Sunday.

I for one am not a fan of the opposing team fan " coming in peace" and "just giving an opponent viewpoint" then proceeding to lecture about all that we think that is wrong and dominating the "discussion" with little piss battles everywhere.  I personally wish fans would just stay on their own team sites, and have never understood the psychosis of the opposing fan who actually takes up residence on another team's message board.

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I'm almost certain Elam has been on and off the injury report going back to camp and through the season. He was listed as questionable at least once I thought. He was listed as DNP on Wednesday 

9 hours ago, Wraith said:

Beane did recently say his injury goes back to camp.

Apparently he was on the report the last 2 weeks. Was he before that?

3 hours ago, Caesar said:

He was awful, but again they had just removed a bag from his body.  Seriously, it was quite evident to the most novice fan.

Why do you ask such bizarre questions?  Why do you care?  Why can you not accept that fans of a team have better insight and fans of others enjoy learning and sharing?

Feel free to ignore me, Im not here to troll, but Im not here to answer stupid personal questions from emotionally unstable people either (I'm assuming that your name is a direct correlation....?)

Dude, I'll take you at your word that your intent is not to troll, but you really need to re-calibrate; your tone and word choice are at a level of aggressiveness and insult-slinging associated primarily with trolls and disruptive visitors from other teams.

I say this for informational and educational purposes - if you want to incite, Keep on "As you were".  If you want good discussion, you might want to dial it back and tone it down a bit because otherwise, folks here who are worth talking to will read a couple of your posts, assess the word choice and tone, and decline to engage.

12 hours ago, Caesar said:

Serious question.  Are you a teenager?  

I dont come here to trash talk and I dont come here to talk with children, period.  I simply read for the best Bills info and to provide some Bengals info.

Nothing I said warranted the "WTF????!!??" comment, and again you are proving yourself to be a box score watcher.  We will see how much pounding the Bills do on Sunday in Cincy.

Could fool me by looking at your posts.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, QLBillsFan said:

It’s fair to say Bengals fans are extremely confident they are going to kick the Bills in a beat down. It’s Bills fault that the game was canceled etc… Bills are soft .. Cook gets 10 carries but not committed and Josh is all off script. Much like Phil Simms , Bills have no chance!!!

The team that’s 28th in rushing defense and 29th in rushing offense calling other teams soft because their own team is always bad to start a season 😂

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

13 hours ago, Caesar said:

Refute the fact that the Bengals are NOT hobbling injury wise?  Sure, we have no starters in danger of missing the game due to injuries.

As to the defense I have continually stated that we give up way too many yards.  It is kind of tricky stat wise though.

We were awful vs the Browns vs the run - but a closer look reveals that we held them to under 2 yds per carry 9 out of 10 times and then give up a 20 yarder a couple times. The offense did NOTHING and the game got away in the rain, vs a great oline and RB, and the 4th Qtr they just stomped us.
49ers had 365 yards passing, but 156 came on 3 drives vs prevent defense that ended in zero points.

We will always give up yards, we always have.  With Burrow and Higgins healthy hopefully the offense can stay on the field a little longer which will help. 

Allen is always a dual threat and if he goes off I will not be surprised just because of who he is.

What saves your defense is turnovers. You give up a lot of yards but get a lot of turnovers.  Our Defense has been like that... let the other team keep driving the whole field for a lot of yards but then either get a turnover before the score or stop the TD and make them kick fgs.  Thats what your D is right now I think, but I haven't watched too many Bengals games.

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I really want to hate Mike McDaniel, but I just can't...the dude seems like a good guy and is a cool dork...kinda reminds me of myself actually

Mike McDaniel is one of the more refreshing and interesting coaches in the NFL. In a world where being bland is the order, McDaniel breaks the mold. He is a dork, which adds to the intrigue. He embraces the dorkism, probably to mask his intentions at times (much like Belicheck deflects everything with his brutishness, McDaniel's does with his dorkishness). And both are brilliant in how they do that. Whenever MM pops up on the TV, I stop and listen and usually laugh in appreciation.

He is a villain and always will be to us because he's the coach of the Phish. I hope he loses this weekend, but in a world of boring "speak because I have to and say nothing we already don't know, NFL Coaches," McDaniel's is refreshing. This is an entertainment business, after all, and McDaniel is one of the best at it in his weird and unique dork way.

Edited by CSBill
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

This is how a lot of Bills fans feel about our OC (Dorsey).   Some folks complain about Allen running around instead of getting the ball out quickly.  It would be easier if Dorsey's schemes and play-calls gave Allen someone to throw to.  

14 hours ago, Caesar said:

I dont want to diminish Tua in any way, and Hill has been tremendous for them, but Mike McDaniel with Burrow or Allen would be extremely dangerous IMHO.

I simply don’t buy the Dorsey criticism, and the primary reason for that is that ALL fan bases criticize their playcaller and the Bills have one of the top offenses in the league.  This is going to sound a bit strange because I love Josh Allen more than any other player I’ve ever watched, but I think it’s fair to say Allen creates more of the “problems” on offense than Dorsey does.  I put the word “problems” in quotes because often Allen makes an amazing play, but I think he goes off schedule and looks for “more” too much.  I also don’t think Dorsey and McD have told Josh not to run…he has made that decision himself because everyone else keeps hammering at it.

I am really hoping that the offense we saw against Tampa is what we’ll continue to see as the season wears on…if that happens we are going to be just fine.  There’s nothing wrong with how Dorsey is calling games.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Mike McDaniel is one of the more refreshing and interesting coaches in the NFL. In a world where being bland is the order, McDaniel breaks the mold. He is a dork, which adds to the intrigue. He embraces the dorkism, probably to mask his intentions at times (much like Belicheck deflects everything with his brutishness, McDaniel's does with his dorkishness). And both are brilliant in how they do that. Whenever MM pops up on the TV, I stop and listen and usually laugh in appreciation.

He is a villain and always will be to us because he's the coach of the Phish. I hope he loses this weekend, but in a world of boring "speak because I have to and say nothing we already don't know, NFL Coaches," McDaniel's is refreshing. This is an entertainment business, after all, and McDaniel is one of the best at it in his weird and unique dork way.

McDaniel is one of my favorite people in the league now. He’s kind of the anti-Marrone in a sense. Too bad he coaches for Miami, but I can’t blame that on him. He is good for the league.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

17 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

Skyline all the way. Medium 4-way with beans and a diet Doctor Pepper. BTW, Cincinnati is the only place in the world where you can get a kids 3-way in a drive-thru.

I just threw up in my mouth. The taste of it  brought back memories of eating at skyline. Threw up again. I'm trying to think of a "food"(I can't seriously call skyline food) that is worse than it but I can't. 

1 hour ago, eball said:

I simply don’t buy the Dorsey criticism, and the primary reason for that is that ALL fan bases criticize their playcaller and the Bills have one of the top offenses in the league.  This is going to sound a bit strange because I love Josh Allen more than any other player I’ve ever watched, but I think it’s fair to say Allen creates more of the “problems” on offense than Dorsey does.  I put the word “problems” in quotes because often Allen makes an amazing play, but I think he goes off schedule and looks for “more” too much.  I also don’t think Dorsey and McD have told Josh not to run…he has made that decision himself because everyone else keeps hammering at it.

I am really hoping that the offense we saw against Tampa is what we’ll continue to see as the season wears on…if that happens we are going to be just fine.  There’s nothing wrong with how Dorsey is calling games.

There is at times. But the issues with the offense are a combination of things. Not just Dorsey or just Josh. 

2 hours ago, eball said:

How many easy throws do we see week after week from other teams, with receivers wide open.  Swear it is way more then Buffalo.  

AJ Brown weekly makes highlight reel catches.  I can't think one from a Bills receiver this year. 

When was the last time you saw a Bills receiver win a 50/50 ball or catch one with a defender draped all over him.

Oh and let's not forget Dorsey's inability to set up a decent screen or YAC.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 2

I think Josh needs to run, get that adrenaline flowing. When he is trying to simply be a pocket passer all game, he looks lethargic, like he's bored. Josh is so much better with his hair on fire. This is true of many athletes. That edge that you get when both your mind and body is jacked up on an adrenaline rush is what he needs. Saw signs of that last week. Hoping to see more of that this week.

• Agree 2

26 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

I think Josh needs to run, get that adrenaline flowing. When he is trying to simply be a pocket passer all game, he looks lethargic, like he's bored. Josh is so much better with his hair on fire. This is true of many athletes. That edge that you get when both your mind and body is jacked up on an adrenaline rush is what he needs. Saw signs of that last week. Hoping to see more of that this week.

Like many things in life, he needs to be balanced but not too balanced!

• Eyeroll 1

40 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

There’s a fine line between playing with an edge and playing out of control. I’m all for Josh being Josh and playing with that edge, but he needs to do that in the context of letting the game come to him instead of forcing things. 

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

There’s a fine line between playing with an edge and playing out of control. I’m all for Josh being Josh and playing with that edge, but he needs to do that in the context of letting the game come to him instead of forcing things. 

True, but I do believe that some of these games, they have overcompensated. Forced Josh to be a traditional pocket passer a bit too much. He was in his head a bit too much instead of leaving it all out there on the field with some RPOs and scrambling. I hated RPO's last year because it seemed they did it to much, but you are correct, it certainly a balancing act.

7 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

What saves your defense is turnovers. You give up a lot of yards but get a lot of turnovers.  Our Defense has been like that... let the other team keep driving the whole field for a lot of yards but then either get a turnover before the score or stop the TD and make them kick fgs.  Thats what your D is right now I think, but I haven't watched too many Bengals games.

Our defense has ALWAYS given up yards.  2021 and 2022 as well, it is a Lou thing, "only points matter, not yards".  

3 hours ago, eball said:

Some truth here.  Allen creates problems by working outside the design of the play "off schedule" as you say.  He also creates plays.  It's a double-edged sword, and there needs to be a balance, No Doubt. 

Did you watch that assessment of the Tampa game by JT O'Sullivan?  There were a couple of plays where O'Sullivan pointed out the first read or the appropriate hot read being an easy short throw to a wide-open guy.  It was there.  Allen would fail to take that and go for a much higher degree of difficulty, in one case rolling to the left on the run and signalling Kincaid what to do - "a legitimately awesome play by Josh Allen" 

He made the throw, but Kincaid is pretty well covered with a safety over the top converging, and Allen throws a dime which Kincaid brings down with a brilliant double-toe stretch to catch it in bounds.   O'Sullivan points out the play is mesh routes with a rail and a hook route, and the first read is usually the rail route because the mesh route kind of forces defenders to interfere with each other to cover the back.  Murray is WIIIIDE open "if you throw it to 28 right there, it's an easy first down". 

As O'Sullivan says, "Josh Allen can do this stuff, but don't come at me sideways when he does this stuff when it matters most, and it doesn't work out".   

I don't have the all-22 to look at, but Bengals playoff game, first series after Cincy drove down the field for 7, 3rd and 4, Allen overthrows a deep left sideline throw to Diggs on 3rd and 4, and it's 3 and out.  It would not shock me to learn it was a similar route concept and Singletary or Cook were Wiiiiiide open down the rt sideline for an easy "move the chains".  When we're facing a very good offense which can score on every drive and we have to match them, when the conditions are sub-par so that little slips by Josh and little slips by the WR add up, when we're facing a top secondary who can react better and turn those plays into picks - Press the "Easy" Button, Josh.  It's there.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Our defense has ALWAYS given up yards.  2021 and 2022 as well, it is a Lou thing, "only points matter, not yards".  

Let me express, I thought it was a damned shame Anarumo wasn't offered a HC job somewhere else this off season - preferably in the NFC 😁

That's a valid point and McDermott falls rather into the same category - worries far more about points than yards.

That said, historically, when a defense has a big difference between points and yards given up, it usually means turnovers are a factor.  The Bengals 2022 defense was actually very well matched in points and yards - 7th and 8th.  2021, 7th and 13th, not a huge disparity.  So they actually WEREN'T giving up disproportionate yards 2021 and 2022.

This season to date the Bengals D has collected 13 turnovers, 4th in the league, and that probably goes a ways to explain how they're 27th in yards given up but 17th for points.  Meanwhile your offense is very clean, only 6 turnovers all season which is 2nd in the leage.

TL;DR @Scott7975 has a point.

1 hour ago, Rockinon said:

I think there's a point there.  Josh has said in interviews "Sometimes I need a little contact"

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think there's a point there.  Josh has said in interviews "Sometimes I need a little contact"

Sure is and that is true.  I used to say that Josh gets better after he takes off for a run and gets hit.  I still feel that is true.  More so though, I think it opens the defense up when they know he is a threat to run.  Last week was like the first time this season that was true.

4 hours ago, eball said:

We know Dorsey and McDermott have told Allen not to run, don't we? We've heard them both say it, publicly.

4 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

We know Dorsey and McDermott have told Allen not to run, don't we? We've heard them both say it, publicly.

No, they've said he needs to be careful with his body...that's not the same thing.

4 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

I think what they've both said is that they want him to take fewer hits.  They want him to go out of bounds or slide. 

The problem, as Beane has phrased it, is that when Josh runs and takes a few hits, he gets "lathered up" and competitive, and won't do that.

1 hour ago, Caesar said:

Yeah, thats pretty much how our D is. I've become fine with it.  As long as they stop most of the TDs.  It's when things like "13 seconds" happen that it bothers me or our game against the Pats a couple weeks ago.

• Like (+1) 1

I have been keeping tabs on this and surprised so many here hate the Bengals. I don't. They'll be irrelevant in 2 years when they can't afford and won't pay anyone. They're just a pimple, they won't be around forever.

However, the city of Cincinnati is loathed. They're so freaking trashy there. They have one entity which props up the entire city, Proctor and Gamble and then they have the mafia to help inflate everything (the IRS). They don't have much pride, always wishing they were as cool as even Cleveland or crying about the shadow of the Cbus. Hell, Cincinnati is just Lorain with more people.

Anyone I have met from Cinci might as well be a hillbilly from Kentucky. They have more in common with those folks than what is truly the heart of America.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.