Week 9 thread - We’re on to Cincinnati

BillsFan619

4 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I had to move from Buffalo after UB for a job.  I didn't want to leave as I loved Western NY but South West Ohio is a fantastic place and I felt right at home within a few years of moving here.

I'm here in northeastern Ohio and it is a flat out dump... feel sorry for my wife who is from here. Basically her home has turned into a sort of mix of urban and backwoods Kentucky.

I feel the whole "bless your heart" fakeness as spent my teen years in Charlotte, NC... it turns off some people.

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yes this game really should tell us about McD.  10 days to prepare, a bad taste in his (and all Bills mouths) from last year, a Cincy D that is vulnerable, our defense, which McD coaches has not played well in 4 weeks (and while good vs. Miami, Miami too self destructed a # of times and did put up yards), and the fact that many here hold him in such high esteem, one day he needs to show he deserves that praise.

Yep it is up to McD to have the team up and frankly roll Cincy.

the cincy d is vulnerable but the bills isn't?

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Of course it's the "Midwest" and yes it is also the northern most "Southern" city.  That is what makes it different and nice.  IMO of course.

And yes Downtown & OTR are nice but don't forget the Banks (where the baseball & football stadiums are located along the Ohio river) and Mount Adams (which is like Allen street on a big hill).

I already retracted my statements upthread. I had a bad exchange at CVG baggage claim and posted while still angry. Sorry, Cincinnati. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I'm here in northeastern Ohio and it is a flat out dump... feel sorry for my wife who is from here. Basically her home has turned into a sort of mix of urban and backwoods Kentucky.

I feel the whole "bless your heart" fakeness as spent my teen years in Charlotte, NC... it turns off some people.

Other then for business or driving through on my way to Buffalo & Rochester I can't comment on NE Ohio as I've never lived there.  But the difference between NE and SW Ohio is like the difference between Western NY and Down State NY. 

Another interesting thing about SW Ohio is that it's a heavily Catholic area, not Baptist like you would get further south.  It's German Catholic as opposed to the Italian/Irish/Polish Catholicism of Western NY but the cultural impact on the city would remind folks of a place further north then south.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, teef said:

the cincy d is vulnerable but the bills isn't?

I didn't say the Bills Defense isn't vulnerable.  I would like to see them show up however as they have not been good and yes we get there are injuries, but all teams have them and yep sometimes they need to step up and the coaches held accountable (looking at you McDermott).

Why are there always excuses?

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I already retracted my statements upthread. I had a bad exchange at CVG baggage claim and posted while still angry. Sorry, Cincinnati. 

We can at least agree that no one has a good experience at the CVG baggage claim.  It is flat out the worst baggage claim in the United States. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I didn't say the Bills Defense isn't vulnerable.  I would like to see them show up however as they have not been good and yes we get there are injuries, but all teams have them and yep sometimes they need to step up and the coaches held accountable (looking at you McDermott).

who is making excuses?  it's reasonable to think without 3 top players, the d may not be as effective.  i expect mcd to still have a solid game plan, but at some point it's a personnel issue.  it's ok to realize that.

what's with you always getting upset over mcd?  i can just picture you red faced, typing angry on your keyboard anytime anyone mentions the guy.  you won't even post in the offseason because you can't B word about the  guy.  try to have reasonable discussion.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Of course it's the "Midwest" and yes it is also the northern most "Southern" city.  That is what makes it different and nice.  IMO of course.

And yes Downtown & OTR are nice but don't forget the Banks (where the baseball & football stadiums are located along the Ohio river) and Mount Adams (which is like Allen street on a big hill).

7 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I went to Xavier and got a good taste of Cincinnati. In addition to the areas mentioned, I lived in Hyde Park one year and spent a lot of time in Mt Lookout for Zip’s and visiting friends. I still get back now and then and it’s MUCH better than it was back in the late 70’s and early 80’s. OTR is as fun now as it was dangerous then. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, teef said:

who is making excuses?  it's reasonable to think without 3 top players, the d may not be as effective.  i expect mcd to still have a solid game plan, but at some point it's a personnel issue.  it's ok to realize that.

And it's really 4 with an ineffective Von.  No unit could really withstand that.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SWATeam said:

And it's really 4 with an ineffective Von.  No unit could really withstand that.

true.  i'm not saying i expect them to lay down either.  if they show up looking anything like they did in that playoff game, we'll know who this team is.  

18 minutes ago, teef said:

what's with you always getting upset over mcd?  i can just picture you red faced, typing angry on your keyboard anytime anyone mentions the guy.  you won't even post in the offseason because you can't B word about the  guy.  try to have reasonable discussion.  

Who's making excuses???  You can't be serious.  This site is full of McD truthers who seems to think he took over the worst team in the league coming off a 2-14 season and created a juggernaut.

I've said he is a good coach.  I however have seen too many warts that hold this team back, and yes he is responsible for a # of them.

Enough about their top three defensive players, we get it.  However I do expect more from them regardless.  Again I only need to point to Cincy continuing to play well on offense last year stopping the Bills DL in the playoffs, without their 3 best OL's. 

Sometimes it is about coaching.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

How many FGs vs TDs? Getting FGs in the red zone sucks, TBH about it.

I am honestly not sure. The site I looked at ranked it by scoring percent in the redzone but didn't break it down.  What I can tell you is that Josh Allen leads the league in TDs in the redzone with 18 (13 passing, 5 rushing.) This does not include running backs.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/red-zone-stats/qb.php

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Other then for business or driving through on my way to Buffalo & Rochester I can't comment on NE Ohio as I've never lived there.  But the difference between NE and SW Ohio is like the difference between Western NY and Down State NY. 

Another interesting thing about SW Ohio is that it's a heavily Catholic area, not Baptist like you would get further south.  It's German Catholic as opposed to the Italian/Irish/Polish Catholicism of Western NY but the cultural impact on the city would remind folks of a place further north then south.

I'm dying for some German culture as this area has NONE... this area is Italian and Eastern European which is totally not the same. No German restaurants, closest I can get to the food is smoked kielbasa LOL

30 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yeah, losing an all-pro lb and cb, along with the starting dtackle that seemed to be pro bowl bound are nothing but excuses. No reasoning behind those thoughts. 
Some people might call those “excuses “ reasons.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

11 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Floyd has backed up Von almost identically. 

Last season we didn't have him.  

Last season AJE wasn't playing like this. 

Oliver's playing better this season.

Jones wasn't playing anything close to the way he was playing the first few games this season either, ever, in 9 prior seasons.  Doubtful he would have kept up that pace.  He didn't in 9 seasons otherwise where he was pretty average.

White for all intents and purposes hasn't been around since the 2021 season.

Milano's a huge loss.  Beane doesn't take nearly enough heat for that obvious potential situation.  They have exactly what they wanted, a bunch of diminutive LBs that specialize in pass coverage.  If they didn't want that, why did they put it together like that.  The fact that they (apparently) gave little if any thought to what happens should Milano get hurt is entirely on them.  

And McD, were keep being told, is some kind of defensive guru, despite fielding an average 17th ranked scoring D over 6 seasons in Carolina.  Yes for some reason poor Clappy will be hard pressed to put it all together.  

🙂

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Yeah, losing an all-pro lb and cb, along with the starting dtackle that seemed to be pro bowl bound are nothing but excuses. No reasoning behind those thoughts. 
Some people might call those “excuses “ reasons.

Again teams need to adapt.  They f'ing let Mac Jones dissect them and lead a game winning TD drive the last two minutes.  That is a fireable offense!!!!😡😜

11 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Jones wasn't playing anything close to the way he was playing the first few games this season either, ever, in 9 prior seasons.  Doubtful he would have kept up that pace.  He didn't in 9 seasons otherwise where he was pretty average.

Milano's a huge loss.  Beane doesn't take nearly enough heat for that obvious potential situation.  They have exactly what they wanted, a bunch of diminutive LBs that specialize in pass coverage.  If they didn't want that, why did they put it together like that.  The fact that they (apparently) gave little if any thought to what happens should Milano get hurt is entirely on them.  

And McD, were keep being told, is some kind of defensive guru, despite fielding an average 17th ranked scoring D over 6 seasons in Carolina.  Yes for some reason poor Clappy will be hard pressed to put it all together.  

🙂

Shhhhh.....  Heresy to say such things.😜

22 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Who's making excuses???  You can't be serious.  This site is full of McD truthers who seems to think he took over the worst team in the league coming off a 2-14 season and created a juggernaut.

I've said he is a good coach.  I however have seen too many warts that hold this team back, and yes he is responsible for a # of them.

Enough about their top three defensive players, we get it.  However I do expect more from them regardless.  Again I only need to point to Cincy continuing to play well on offense last year stopping the Bills DL in the playoffs, without their 3 best OL's. 

Sometimes it is about coaching.

this is just weird to me.  you have such a hard on for the guy.  he's been a solid coach with faults like you said.  i'm not sure why it's such a sticking point with you.   look at the reasoning...you don't wnat to hear about the top 3-4 defensive players out?  why?  it's kind of a thing whether you like it or not.  you mentioned cincy's defense being vulnerable...why?  do you think the bills offense should march up and down the field.  and if you do think that, why wouldn't cincy do the same to our defense, especially with key players out.  they have to have an answer either way, but you're not looking at this with an equal playing field.  even if the bills were to win in a dominant fashion on sunday, you'll still find something that wasn't ok for  you.  i like the discussion, but discussing anything with you concerning coaching is different.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

🙂

So, what would you have done? Please be specific, cuz all you do is B word in general. About any and everything. 
What would the great @PBF81 have done to make sure every spot on this team is covered for injury with another starting caliber player? I mean every other team has that. Right?!?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again teams need to adapt.  They f'ing let Mac Jones dissect them and lead a game winning TD drive the last two minutes.  That is a fireable offense!!!!😡😜

Shhhhh.....  Heresy to say such things.😜

see...you play this game too hard.

I would like to outscore the living hell out of them, which in my book is putting the foot down on the freaking pedal and not even looking back to see what is going on until we've dropped 49 on them.

...but that is just me.  I'm all about the speed and the beat down.

I know that is not everyone's cup of tea as many of you around here are, "oh nooo, we gotta balance and be measured and we need to see the spread sheet where everybody gets the ball and we yada-yada-yada."

To each their own, and God bless you all, but I say let Allen be Allen and actually...I know I know, don't get upset...maybe we impose our will on them.

Go Bills.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.