Week 9 thread - We’re on to Cincinnati

BillsFan619

8 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Because they don’t have Deebo Samuel.  That is not an excuse, it is a reality.  Some players make a big difference.  

That is true. Also, there is a reason why Purdy was the last player selected in the 2022 draft. He has operated in Shanahan's offense brilliantly, but his physical talent is somewhat limited. There is now ample film is out on him and defenses are beginning to figure him out.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

This past week they still put up numbers but the main reason they lost the last two games is the quarterback giving the ball away. Purdy has thrown 3 touchdowns and 5 interceptions the past 3 games....he had zero the first 5 games.

Deebo Samuel being hurt sunday did not help either.

Samuel and Trent Williams.  

I keep asking him because he keeps saying "injuries are an excuse for the Bills defense, next man up".  He doesn't believe that injuries should effect production.

On 10/30/2023 at 7:07 AM, GunnerBill said:

No. The Bills defense is not in position without two of its best 3 players to win us games against the best teams. If the Bills can keep Cincy below 30 that would be a huge win. Realistically these big games are going to have to be won by the offense. 

The Bills D has played well vs Tyrod and Baker for the most part. They sucked against the Patriots and that was largely on McDermott's gameplan IMO. But they simply don't have the horses at the moment to hold the Bengals. 

The rest of the way the offense will have to carry is in the heavyweight matchups. They are the ones under the microscope IMO.

if this is the thought process,  they better go out and get a big time #2 Wr. because we don't have that Offense this year.

Edited by gordong

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I keep asking him because he keeps saying "injuries are an excuse for the Bills defense, next man up".  He doesn't believe that injuries should effect production.

If the only way you can look good is by having an offense stacked with playmakers then you simply aren't that good.  Like how much talent do you need to look good?

I am pretty sure there are a good number of QB's that could do a lot better than what Purdy has with Aiyuk, Kittle and McCaffery still healthy.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

If the only way you can look good is by having an offense stacked with playmakers then you simply aren't that good.  Like how much talent do you need to look good?

I am pretty sure there are a good number of QB's that could do a lot better than what Purdy has with Aiyuk, Kittle and McCaffery still healthy.

It's two critical pieces to their offense which includes their best playmaker.  If the Eagles lost Lane Johnson and AJ Brown...they would be tough on them as well.

36 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

well yes injuries but they are still moving the ball.

Purdy's 5 interceptions are the direct reason.  

The Bengals fans I've seen online seem remarkably unconcerned about Sunday's game.

I mean, we might go out & look like we did in both games last year - overmatched.  But the NFL can be pretty nutty. You can blow a team out one year, and then lose to them the next - it's actually happened.

4 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Should have been 6 but he got bailed out by a roughing the passer penalty.  And it was a terrible throw right to the defender.

2 minutes ago, Success said:

The Bengals fans I've seen online seem remarkably unconcerned about Sunday's game.

I mean, we might go out & look like we did in both games last year - overmatched.  But the NFL can be pretty nutty. You can blow a team out one year, and then lose to them the next - it's actually happened.

us against Kansas City for instance.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

I think it’s undeniable that the Bills defensive floor is lower with their current lineup. That means the offense has to carry the team, and they haven’t been as of late . That’s a serious problem going forward ; one that largely falls on scheme/ coaching imo. We saw improvements vs Tampa when they made a few changes to their approach - at least for 3 quarters.  They need to do more of this, not less as the schedule/ competition gets tougher down the stretch. 

That is undeniable, that the "defensive floor is lower with their current lineup."  

But what is not undeniable is that this defense still has plenty of talent to put out at least a halfway decent defense, which in this era of NFL football is all that's required, per the last two SB winners, providing that a team has a top offense.  Which we should, but right now do not, have.  

To the extent that that "defensive floor is lower with their current lineup," again, that's a Beane issue.  

The only player that the D should have major issues working around is Milano, but if you've read what I've written, I've warned about this for at least the past two drafts.  Now, if I can envision this, the "expert(s)" should easily be able to as well.  It's not complicated, but it is a difference of philosophy.  

I realize I'm merely adding to what you said, but just sayin'.  Everyone throwing the towel in on our D is getting old.  Make it work to an average D level.  If we cannot do that with Oliver, AJE, Groot, Floyd in the front-7, then find someone that can.  Bernard's even playing much much better than anticipated.  Williams or Dodson may not be, but hey, again, anyone upset over that needs to check with Beane, first, for even drafting Williams, but secondly, for drafting the same exact type of player that Bernard is more relevantly.  Perhaps a bigger LB acquired by free-agency as well would have been better insurance.  They obviously didn't want that and believed that smaller "faster" LBs that could cover the pass were better.   Well, now their theory is being put to the test.  If they don't like it, they need to go stand in front of a mirror.  

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Before Milano's injury, there wasn't a better duo of linebackers in the NFL.  We don't need bigger linebackers, the speed is the difference.

OK, great.  Then McD needs to work around that.  If we don't have what we need and our D goes from top two or three to bottom five, that's a Beane & coaching issue.  

And if "speed is the difference," then we should be fine.  Williams is fast enough.  

14 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

OK, great.  Then McD needs to work around that.  If we don't have what we need and our D goes from top two or three to bottom five, that's a Beane & coaching issue.  

And if "speed is the difference," then we should be fine.  Williams is fast enough.  

That's where we can agree.  It shouldn't go to bottom 5 but when you lose a your best at 3 different levels on the defense, they are going to take a step back.  

Stopping Joe Burrow is a tall task with those guys, without them it's a lot tougher.  

1 hour ago, MikePJ76 said:

The loss of Samuel and Williams is showing Purdy's limitations, I agree.  But that shows you how injuries can really F up a system.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 2003Contenders said:

That is true. Also, there is a reason why Purdy was the last player selected in the 2022 draft. He has operated in Shanahan's offense brilliantly, but his physical talent is somewhat limited. There is now ample film is out on him and defenses are beginning to figure him out.

It’s interesting you bring that up. I remember a few years back when he was at Iowa State. He was being hailed and the next big thing so I tuned in to watch one of their opening games of that season. In short, he was terrible. It was obvious the opponents had figured him out and his draft stock plummeted. Fast forward….is it possible the same thing is happening now? 

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Trent Williams is the best LT in the NFL. 

Just now, dave mcbride said:

It's a big loss. If Dawkins and Diggs went down, it'd have an effect on Allen. Obviously, Allen is better, but all QBs are dependent to an extent on the surrounding talent.

They still have multiple star players on offense.

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Well, they did put up 460 yards vs the Bengals. They had a fluky INT inside the 10 on a pretty bizarre play; otherwise it might have gone down to the wire. It's not as if they're not moving the ball. 

He should have had a 3rd INT on a roughing the passer penalty that was wiped out that was absolutely brutal...looked like he was throwing it to the Bengals player.

Edited by Big Turk

1 hour ago, Success said:

Why wouldn’t they. In their pov them and the Chiefs are on a different level destined to meet in the AFCCG again. The Bills are just a mere speed bump on their way to their destination. It’s not like the Bills have done anything to make them feel otherwise. That’s why I think this game is more important for the Bills than the Bengals. Get beat again and it becomes psychological with the team. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

8 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Because Purdy is regressing to the norm and not getting every break?  Yeah yeah no Deebo....

No Trent Williams either who is probably the best LT in football.  

So Purdy is missing his best offensive lineman and playmaker....is it possible that major injuries can have an effect on a team?  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

No Trent Williams either who is probably the best LT in football.  

So Purdy is missing his best offensive lineman and playmaker....is it possible that major injuries can have an effect on a team?  

To the last point, why did genius OC Shanahan call 9 running plays to the left side knowing Trent Williams is not there?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

It’s interesting you bring that up. I remember a few years back when he was at Iowa State. He was being hailed and the next big thing so I tuned in to watch one of their opening games of that season. In short, he was terrible. It was obvious the opponents had figured him out and his draft stock plummeted. Fast forward….is it possible the same thing is happening now? 

He was just fine at the end of his career at Iowa State. So now, I wouldn't say "they figured him out". He was never more than a facilitator in a great scheme. Which now is missing some pretty big pieces. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 90sBills said:

Why wouldn’t they. In their pov them and the Chiefs are on a different level destined to meet in the AFCCG again. The Bills are just a mere speed bump on their way to their destination. It’s not like the Bills have done anything to make them feel otherwise. That’s why I think this game is more important for the Bills than the Bengals. Get beat again and it becomes psychological with the team. 

The Bengals do not have an AFC win through 8 weeks of the NFL season. Their fans should be worried about EVERY AFC game.

11 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

To the last point, why did genius OC Shanahan call 9 running plays to the left side knowing Trent Williams is not there?

You installed those plays during practice and you gotta keep the other team honest.

• Agree 1

I haven't felt good about the Bills playing the Bengals for about 2 years now. Burrow is a zone killer. But this year's Bills D has been an ever changing defense in terms of what they do schematically. Still, they're undermanned.  Need to have a good Von Miller out there, along with their other DEs and Oliver bringing it. 

Offensively, I have no idea what to predict from the Buffalo offense. The opposition doesn't seem to have any correlation to how good the Bills O is week to week

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

as important as this game is, my inner conspiracy theorist wants us to save our best stuff for the playoffs

A bills win this week can really put the Bengals in a bind.  They would have 4 conference losses having already lost to Cleveland and Baltimore in their division.

When the season winds down they play at pittsburgh, at kc and then home to the browns to end the season.   A Buffalo loss this week could lead to a tight playoff situation late in the year for Cincy.   I think you can say something similar about Buffalo with two terrible losses to the jets and pats.

our biggest issue is when cinci is on, you have to single cover 3 legit weapons, and they can power run on your nickle and dime d too.  just a bad match up for us.  the only way to win is to disguise and read them.  at some point, rapp is gonna pick up someone coming through the zone and we just have to pray for a bad throw and no flags.

i suspect we will have to score 4 TDs to have a shot.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

A bills win this week can really put the Bengals in a bind.  They would have 4 conference losses having already lost to Cleveland and Baltimore in their division.

When the season winds down they play at pittsburgh, at kc and then home to the browns to end the season.   A Buffalo loss this week could lead to a tight playoff situation late in the year for Cincy.   I think you can say something similar about Buffalo with two terrible losses to the jets and pats.

A Bengals win this week would also really put the Bills in a bind.  They would have 4 conference losses having already lost to NYJ and NE in their division.

This game is huge for both teams.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MikePJ76 said:

Make no mistake about it...this is as close to a "must-win" game as it gets in the NFL for the Bills this year. 

• There are currently 9 AFC teams with 4 to 6 wins, Bills are sitting at 5-3.  
  • If Bills lose this game, they suddenly are a fringe playoff team with all 4 losses in the AFC
  • A Bills loss gives them a record of 2-3 in their last 5 games (which were 1 play away in both wins from being 0-5) and having Chiefs, Eagles, Cowboys, Jets, Miami, Chargers, and Jets still on the schedule to play. 

The Bills can not afford to fall behind in the AFC wildcard race, and 4 losses in the AFC really puts them in a bad spot with a difficult remaining schedule.  The margin of error will be almost zero moving forward if they don't beat the Bengals.  

So...whether some people realize it or not, this weeks game is the most pivotal game of the season for the Bills on the likelihood of them making or missing the playoffs.

A Bills win could do multiple things this weekend. Move us to 6-3, one step closer to a playoff berth. Push Cinncy two games back of the Bills, tie breaker if needed, it also pushes them further down in a competitive AFC and with a MIA loss moves the Bills back into first place in the AFCE!

LETS GO BUFFALO!!!!!

Edited by TFBillsfan
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, appoo said:

I haven't felt good about the Bills playing the Bengals for about 2 years now. Burrow is a zone killer. But this year's Bills D has been an ever changing defense in terms of what they do schematically. Still, they're undermanned.  Need to have a good Von Miller out there, along with their other DEs and Oliver bringing it. 

Offensively, I have no idea what to predict from the Buffalo offense. The opposition doesn't seem to have any correlation to how good the Bills O is week to week

I don't see a likely path where the Bills D is successful vs the Bengals.

The Bills offense better be excellent or it's going to be a long day. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I don't see a likely path where the Bills D is successful vs the Bengals.

The Bills offense better be excellent or it's going to be a long day. 

And why can't they be?  This is the argument I always have.  We have a supposed defensive guru as HC and DC, yet whenever the Bills play a good team fans then are happy to give up on the D or make excuses for them.

And of course I'm the bad guy here when I say anything saying McD should have them ready.

• Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And why can't they be?  This is the argument I always have.  We have a supposed defensive guru as HC and DC, yet whenever the Bills play a good team fans then are happy to give up on the D or make excuses for them.

And of course I'm the bad guy here when I say anything saying McD should have them ready.

Since when has a McD defense come through in a big game? 

Lately, the coach has had the team less ready then ready.

I don't see you as the bad guy. 

Lastly, I think the Bengals are a very tough match up for the Bills. Burrow shredded the Bills zone defense last year. They have an excellent WR core. The Bills pass rush is often negated by Burrow's quick passing. 

Lou A blew up the Bills pass protection last year. He called several blitzes that the Bills couldn't stop. This looks to be a long day for Spencer Brown. 

The home crowd will make things difficult for the Bills. Will the Bills suffer any kind of PTSD going back to Cinci? 

A lot has to go right for the Bills to win. It's possible but the path seems pretty narrow. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.