Von Miller

Riverboat Ritchie

43 minutes ago, Ray Stonada said:

Agree with that, but McD is actually reducing his snap counts each week as he realizes what's happening. I think that's the smart way to handle it. Reduce it to zero and he won't get up to speed.

Yeah, I agree they are doing it the best way it can be done. At the risk of triggering anybody, it's a "process".

fwiw, I've seen him do a few things the last two weeks that indicate he's getting more confident with the knee.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Einstein said:

Do we have any reason to believe he’s not fully healthy?

Our coaching/training staff is notoriously conservative when bringing guys back from injury.

Have you seen him out there? That is not the same player. Either he is not fully healthy or he doesn’t want to play anymore. I’m going with he is not fully healthy. 

• Like (+1) 1

I have noticed his speed is progressing. He is pushing the RT backwards. If Von can now make the cut towards the QB he will be back. I sure hope it's his brace holding him back. I wtched him last night and his explosive rush off the line is there! It's just that he runs straight past the pocket every time. I bet McD is telling him to do that. Baby steps... we will see.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Simon said:

Yeah, I agree they are doing it the best way it can be done. At the risk of triggering anybody, it's a "process".

fwiw, I've seen him do a few things the last two weeks that indicate he's getting more confident with the knee.

I mean, this is exactly what everyone called for. Bring him back slowly and allow him to work to get back to effectiveness by the playoffs.

Now many of those same people are lamenting that he isn't doing much. Well, yeah, that was always going to be the case, but maybe in a few weeks he will get to the point that he is somewhat his old self. Also, maybe he won't. It is a risk.

But I think they should still give him some snaps each week. If there is even a small chance that he could get back to what he was, even just somewhat, that would be huge for the playoffs if we get in.

• Agree 1

I fully understand him getting back into it. What bothers me is his level of effort. He gets off fast on the snap, then just slows down & stands there. He is not even trying to make a play most of the time. It's one thing if he can't do it yet, but not even trying is another all together. Let him sit until he's capable of a 100% effort. I can't understand why he takes reps from AJ who is playing well.

There was a play during the Seahawks game.  Von miller was rushing Wilson, he was in the midst of a spin move. Wilson threw the ball for a big play (possibly a touchdown) and when the replay was shown, you can see von miller being single blocked, no where near Wilson, turned the opposite direction as the other defensive lineman (because he was spinning) watching the ball in the air.  I am probably not explaining it well but all I can think of now when I see Miller is bread fresh out the toaster…..#toast

8 hours ago, wppete said:

Have you seen him out there? That is not the same player. Either he is not fully healthy or he doesn’t want to play anymore. I’m going with he is not fully healthy. 

How quickly people forget what Tre White looked like when he eventually came back. It’s not a Doc telling you you’re fine, so nothing ever happened. It happened, and it takes time. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

How quickly people forget what Tre White looked like when he eventually came back. It’s not a Doc telling you you’re fine, so nothing ever happened. It happened, and it takes time. 

The real question is how far back Miller can get. My hope was that he would be back close to his former self just prior to the playoffs. I thought that was what was most important - and a reasonable time frame. But the longer this drags on, the more concerning the situation is. And I said “my hope” because at his age there is no guarantee that he makes it back close to his former self or that it happens this season. 

• Agree 1

But he goes up and down the sideline and tells superior players not to Blink! That's elite leadership! Lol 

Dude should focus on his VonCast and GM aspirations and retire after a ring this year.  Stop taking snaps from guys

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Haha (+1) 1

The majority of snaps should be going to Leonard Floyd and AJ Epenesa right now, with Shaq Lawson/Kingsley Jonathan coming off the bench.

Von Miller isn't anywhere close to back, and is making zero impact right now.

Greg Rousseau should probably be sitting and getting his foot better.

I don't understand having so much depth, and then making guys play at 75% percent.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The real question is how far back Miller can get. My hope was that he would be back close to his former self just prior to the playoffs. I thought that was what was most important - and a reasonable time frame. But the longer this drags on, the more concerning the situation is. And I said “my hope” because at his age there is no guarantee that he makes it back close to his former self or that it happens this season. 

Unfortunately, his best years under this contract have been seriously diminished by injury. You can argue not unexpected at his age, but he was performing very well prior to the injury. Sometimes you take a big swing and it’s not a home run.

But I agree, there is no telling how close his play will ever be compared to before the injury just a year ago (almost). It might take more time to heal, while his window is closing.  

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Unfortunately, his best years under this contract have been seriously diminished by injury. You can argue not unexpected at his age, but he was performing very well prior to the injury. Sometimes you take a big swing and it’s not a home run.

But I agree, there is no telling how close his play will ever be compared to before the injury just a year ago (almost). It might take more time to heal, while his window is closing.  

I agree. While I can find fault with the Bills putting themselves into a position where they needed to make a move like signing Von Miller, I think it was the move they needed to make at the time. Taking the chance on him made sense considering where they were at the time. 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Maybe he doesn't get back.   No one csn tell but he certainly is putting it the work to get there. Baby steps but they are steps.

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

said it all off-season… his ability down the stretch was likely the gap between Super Bowl contender vs playoff contender. I don’t think that’s far off still. An added game wrecker off the edge makes the next 6 weeks much more manageable than it would be in his absence 

28 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I agree. While I can find fault with the Bills putting themselves into a position where they needed to make a move like signing Von Miller, I think it was the move they needed to make at the time. Taking the chance on him made sense considering where they were at the time. 

my only concern was duration at his age. It would’ve been nice to get a second contract guy instead of a third contract guy if going all in on someone 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

The majority of snaps should be going to Leonard Floyd and AJ Epenesa right now, with Shaq Lawson/Kingsley Jonathan coming off the bench.

Von Miller isn't anywhere close to back, and is making zero impact right now.

Greg Rousseau should probably be sitting and getting his foot better.

I don't understand having so much depth, and then making guys play at 75% percent.

It really begs the question how much more progression he could make on the field in live action, vs. on the practice field.  If it's not demonstrably significant, I'd rather he 'ramps up' on the practice field until he's really ready to contribute.  

Miller was never going to be effective this season. The question is whether he should be playing at all. I still think some of the quickness and fluidity returns next year, but I’d prefer he wasn’t working out the kinks right now by taking a game day spot.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Miller was never going to be effective this season. The question is whether he should be playing at all. I still think some of the quickness and fluidity returns next year, but I’d prefer he wasn’t working out the kinks right now by taking a game day spot.

Im starting to agree. 

I was on board with him getting snaps just so we can hopefully get 80% Von by the playoffs … but now we actually have to focus on making the playoffs. 

And, at the very minimum, Von cannot take any snaps away from Floyd, Epenesa or Rousseau.   

I can see the hope that one of these games it clicks and the snaps he takes from Shaq prove to be worthwhile, but we cannot have the Von rush that dips completely out of the screen allowing Hurts/Mahomes to simply scamper for 10-15 yards on 3rd and 6+ over these next two games. 

• Agree 1

At this point you have to assume that Miller isn't going to make any real impact this year, including postseason should bills get there.

In fact if I'm McD, I'm almost inclined to sit him this week and give him an extended break during the bye week as a last ditch effort to see if he can bring anything to the table when they head to KC for the stretch run.

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

At this point you have to assume that Miller isn't going to make any real impact this year, including postseason should bills get there.

In fact if I'm McD, I'm almost inclined to sit him this week and give him an extended break during the bye week as a last ditch effort to see if he can bring anything to the table when they head to KC for the stretch run.

I would prefer if McD had made him inactive weeks ago.   But if he sits Von for the Eagles game I'll give McD credit for actually putting the rehab aside and trying to play the best possible defensive lineup to win this game.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.