Rumors swirling that Elam will be a scratch tonight for Norman. Trade coming?

Roundybout

35 minutes ago, JMM said:

I refuse to believe that this is simply a case of him not playing well. He was a projected first rounder, seen as a good pick, he struggled but eventually started in the playoffs and had a very good game against the Fins. Something has happened,  and I don't believe it's got anything to do with his play on the field.  Don't know if we will ever learn what it is, and not our business. If it means he needs to get a fresh start somewhere else so be it. A trade is obviously the goal rather than an outright release. We shall see, but certainly very disappointing.

It started last year when Xavier Rhodes was curiously active over Elam. Like you, I have to believe it goes beyond talent and potential. Something happened at OBD that we’re not privy to. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

What's the deal with Hamlin inactive almost every week? Is he physically back to form or not?

coaching staff just likes Rapp more, I guess

1 minute ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

What's the deal with Hamlin inactive almost every week? Is he physically back to form or not?

coaching staff just likes Rapp more, I guess

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, balln said:

What an embarrassment for beane and McD if Isabella and Norman active, w elam not dressing. Utter trash. Beanes draft record is abysmal outside of Allen.

43 players. 2 pro bowls. Edmunds (sucks and not on team). And knox (injured) 

0 all pro

That’s why this window is SLAMMing SHUT

At least we didn't resign Edmunds to a ridiculous contract.  

But our drafts have certainly not been good enough under Beane.  Basham, Ford, Moss to name a few.  

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

So Elam is clearly getting traded, right?

Theres no way this staff truly think Josh Norman is a better option if Jackson or Benford go down. 

Either that or cut.

You can’t tell me there isn’t someone on a practice squad or a free agent that isn’t better than Norman.

In fact, you can’t convince me that Elam isn’t way better than Norman.

14 minutes ago, Beast said:

Either that or cut.

You can’t tell me there isn’t someone on a practice squad or a free agent that isn’t better than Norman.

He won’t get cut.  If there was a 1/2nd round grade zone corner from 1.5 years ago that got drafted to a press man heavy defense and couldn’t get on the field, we’d likely be willing to send them a pick or player.

Edited by SCBills

14 minutes ago, Process said:

This is as low as you can get for Elam. There is no coming back from this for him in Buffalo. Just trade him for whatever you can get.

It's pretty upsetting, quite honestly.

He's a talented guy.  I think there is a pretty good chance he THRIVES somewhere else.

And if that's the case - what will that say about our coaching staff?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

He won’t get cut.  If there was a 1/2nd round grade zone corner from 1.5 years ago that got drafted to a press man heavy defense and couldn’t get on the field, we’d likely be willing to send them a pick or player.

The point being it’s not about Elam. He is now an afterthought. Who out there is available and better than ***** Josh Norman? The list, I’m damned sure, is long.

57 minutes ago, JMM said:

I refuse to believe that this is simply a case of him not playing well. He was a projected first rounder, seen as a good pick, he struggled but eventually started in the playoffs and had a very good game against the Fins. Something has happened,  and I don't believe it's got anything to do with his play on the field.  Don't know if we will ever learn what it is, and not our business. If it means he needs to get a fresh start somewhere else so be it. A trade is obviously the goal rather than an outright release. We shall see, but certainly very disappointing.

I think he makes a lot of mistakes in practice. Maybe he isn't putting in the work and the coaches are fed up with him?

17 minutes ago, Beast said:

Either that or cut.

Aren't rookie deals fully guarenteed? No point in cutting him.

I am losing faith I the process.  I like McD and I think he did a great job making us relevant again however I think it’s time to ove on to a real Offensive minded head coach and a seasoned DC.  We missed our chance on 13 seconds and the HC must make sure his special teams and defense are ready 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, The Wiz said:

What would we even expect to get for a 1st rounder in his 2nd season that has barely played?  4th or 5th if lucky?

That's not the type of trade that Beane would normally make unless they truly think there is no hope for him.

I’m just baffled. There’s clearly some hope for him but if he’s blacklisted in house I guess get anything you can 

26 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

It started last year when Xavier Rhodes was curiously active over Elam. Like you, I have to believe it goes beyond talent and potential. Something happened at OBD that we’re not privy to. 

Agreed that there must be something noteworthy that’s stayed in house. Otherwise there are bigger issues organizationally if it’s just skill based and how they think he needs to be handled. 

you cant sell me on Norman straight off the couch,  being better than Elam.  Elam showed flashes last season,   remember the Chefs game?   if Elam cant play zone,  and the D runs alot of zone,  whos that on?  thats on Beane and McD.   now i do think Elam is trying too hard atm,  trying too hard to impress because hes been relegated to a healthy scratch the majority of the season and its in his head.   cmon though,   Norman?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

you cant sell me on Norman straight off the couch,  being better than Elam.  Elam showed flashes last season,   remember the Chefs game?   if Elam cant play zone,  and the D runs alot of zone,  whos that on?  thats on Beane and McD.   now i do think Elam is trying too hard atm,  trying too hard to impress because hes been relegated to a healthy scratch the majority of the season and its in his head.   cmon though,   Norman?

you can’t sell me on Norman with a full off-season as more talented today… 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

McDermott is fighting for his job at this point, and he's trying to throw anything at the wall to make it stick. Either Beane is not giving him a lifeline or McDermott is seriously putting band-aids on a large open wound.

3 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

McDermott is fighting for his job at this point, and he's trying to throw anything at the wall to make it stick. Either Beane is not giving him a lifeline or McDermott is seriously putting band-aids on a large open wound.

No, McDermott is not fighting for his job. Epic dumb.

22 minutes ago, MJS said:

I think he makes a lot of mistakes in practice. Maybe he isn't putting in the work and the coaches are fed up with him?

That still wouldn't be a reason yet to completely give up on the 21st overall pick at a position of need after a season and a half. Unfortunately I believe there is something much more here.

• Agree 1

I think Beane is closing in on trading Elam and they don't want him getting hurt.  Hopefully it's for another player and not a draft pick.  If they trade Elam, I think they'll promote Ingram to the 53.  I think Norman is just a stop gap for Bucs game.

2 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Coaching failure ?

BOTH at this point. WE NEED SARTAIN or someone at least serviceable, not some washed up guys.

1 minute ago, RochesterLifer said:

No, McDermott is not fighting for his job. Epic dumb.

Yes he is... the pressure is really building, and if our problems get any worse, he will be in the hot seat like Staley is. You can feel it. Get serious.

5 hours ago, dpberr said:

Elam is this FO's worst pick to date because Elam excelled at man coverage in college.  

The risk that he would not develop into a zone corner was high from the moment he was selected.    I always felt the mistake was on the Bills for having the hubris that their coaching could transform him.  

Time to move him and get anything in return.

Just now, benderbender said:

A whole offseason to learn and no progress? I thought this was the guy who brought the notebook to the draft interview

Have you ever had a job where you were very experienced with certain skills and an employer stuck you with work that totally didn't fit your skill set?

Let's hope that Elam is just a bust and not criminally misplaced... if he goes to another team and excels, it will be VERY ugly.

• Like (+1) 1

Can Elam get it done at a high level consistently? I don’t know. Still hold out a glimmer of hope. 

But with how bad this secondary has played at times, we need everyone available. Especially at corner.

Unless he’s included in a player trade for an upgrade at CB I will be concerned. 

16 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

If they put Norman on the field tonight ? seriously

i will have reached my limit of wtf s

yea, I’m fine with their keep it all in house philosophy but i think this one needs to get explained to the base. Even if cryptically through back channels…. Rarely do I say the fans are owed something but Norman over Elam would be far enough outside reasonable that something is needed.

20 minutes ago, juno999 said:

I think Beane is closing in on trading Elam and they don't want him getting hurt.  Hopefully it's for another player and not a draft pick.  If they trade Elam, I think they'll promote Ingram to the 53.  I think Norman is just a stop gap for Bucs game.

If he’s not moved basically by halftime you need to play your better player at 4-3. You can’t hold guys out because he might be traded this weekend.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.