Worst Sean McDermott Offense Coordinator

Punching Bag

Who was McDermott's poorest offense coordinator  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Who was McDermott's poorest offense coordinator

Dennison was a Curt Modkins type patsy who should’ve never ever been an OC. Does he even coach JV?

Dorsey also sucks, but Dennison was another level.

Daboll was good and if you are pretending he’s not, it’s because you’re still mad they went with Kenny.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, FireChans said:

Dennison was a Curt Modkins type patsy who should’ve never ever been an OC. Does he even coach JV?

Dorsey also sucks, but Dennison was another level.

It’s true but Dorsey gets the benefit of having Josh Allen, imagine Dorsey with Nathan Peterman 

• Thank you (+1) 2

I’m sorry…Dorsey has his flaws…but I think the real issue is McD himself. I think one of the reasons they went with Dorsey in the first place is because he’s a young guy that would be grateful for the opportunity and would do what the HC wanted.  That’s why McD and Daboll bumped heads so much…Daboll did what he thought he needed to do. Dorsey doesn’t seem to do that and instead defaults to McD with whatever he wants. 

There are plenty of issues to go around, but I think all of this starts with mcd. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Do you guys think the OC operates in a vacuum without direction from McD?  Sure Dorsey is dialing up plays but McD is dictating the overall scheme and framework ie more runs, more pocket play, more check downs &  less improvisation by JA.

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

I’m sorry…Dorsey has his flaws…but I think the real issue is McD himself. I think one of the reasons they went with Dorsey in the first place is because he’s a young guy that would be grateful for the opportunity and would do what the HC wanted.  That’s why McD and Daboll bumped heads so much…Daboll did what he thought he needed to do. Dorsey doesn’t seem to do that and instead defaults to McD with whatever he wants. 

There are plenty of issues to go around, but I think all of this starts with mcd. 

I’ve said this in about 3 different threads for the past two days…… it’s ONE HUNDRED % correct!

Josh is now operating in a system that doesn’t utilize his best attributes.  You can almost see the frustration when you see him on the bench.

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Do you guys think the OC operates in a vacuum without direction from McD?  Sure Dorsey is dialing up plays but McD is dictating the overall scheme and framework ie more runs, more pocket play, more check downs &  less improvisation by JA.

I’ve said this in about 3 different threads for the past two days…… it’s ONE HUNDRED % correct!

Josh is now operating in a system that doesn’t utilize his best attributes.  You can almost see the frustration when you see him on the bench.

Would you believe same thing about a head coach with offense only background dictating what defense coordinator was supposed to do?
Overall game yes - we need to pick up pace or slow it down - but Coach McD does not have an offense background.  He could tell OC how he thinks an offense play would be attacked by a defense but not play selection.

2 hours ago, Beast said:

Rick Dennison. The man who single-handedly launched the Bills run to 4 Super Bowls.

When he was canned, Dennison unleashed a curse the likes of which haven't been seen since the Bambino cursed the Boston Red Sox.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

I’m kinda torn.. I feel like Dennison would win a lot of games with this current offense. It would be a lot of boring run run pass. But I think it would work with todays roster. 
I took Dorsey just because the stakes were so high when he was hired. I never expected Dennison to guide a top offense. 

2 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

This offense has too much talent for them to be this inconsistent. The problem is Dorsey period. Most coordinators would dream of having Allen/Diggs/Kincaid/Cook. The offensive line isn’t shabby either so why is Dorsey not getting it done ? 

Does it?  For sure Allen & Diggs are elite but who else is even very good?  I think Cook & Kincaid have the potential to be elite but today they are not.  And do we have a single O lineman rated in the top half of their position?

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Does it?  For sure Allen & Diggs are elite but who else is even very good?  I think Cook & Kincaid have the potential to be elite but today they are not.  And do we have a single O lineman rated in the top half of their position?

Kincaid has caught every ball thrown in his direction. He’s proven he can ball  in the pros. When is Dorsey going to stop being a p**** and give the proper amount of snaps to a guy we used our most valuable draft pick on ? Yes, this is on our 💩 OC 100% Kincaid is a first round talent, Cook a 2nd, Diggs is borderline HOF if he keeps these numbers up for a few more season, and Davis/Shakir/Knox all have their strengths as well. It’s up to Dorsey to exploit them, but he’s too inconsistent. I really do think the clock is ticking on his job. The offensive staff better put in some A performances these next few games. This still doesn’t let McDermott off the hook because his D has looked super sus as well. 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

Dennison got fuct with that piece of crap TuhROD … but he still got my vote. 

Wouldn't this speak to Dennison's genius? Getting to the playoffs with a scrap QB and really bad rookie QB. I mean they both can't suck. We made the playoffs for the first time in 17 years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Wouldn't this speak to Dennison's genius? Getting to the playoffs with a scrap QB and really bad rookie QB. I mean they both can't suck. We made the playoffs for the first time in 17 years.

Andy Dalton had more to with getting to the playoffs than our own QB did. 

That is a fact. 

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I'm sorry, this is just a tired lazy take.

You’re right. I forgot to include the insane number of lucky INTs our defense hauled in throughout the regular season, which actually DID have something to do with us winning. 

If my memory is correct, TuhROD had two actually good games - Miami and Seattle - that season. 

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

You’re right. I forgot to include the insane number of lucky INTs our defense hauled in throughout the regular season, which actually DID have something to do with us winning. 

If my memory is correct, TuhROD had two actually good games - Miami and Seattle - that season. 

As I recall Tyrod and co. also led us on a late game comeback In at least 1 of those wins.

I was at the game vs Tampa Bay.   We were down 27-20 with 3:18 to play.  We got a TD and  a FG with 0:13 to play and won in regulation.  What did Andy Dalton do for us (or against Tampa Bay) in that game?  https://www.espn.com/nfl/game/_/gameId/400951575

If we lose that it matters ZERO what Andy Dalton may or may not have done.

It's a deeply flawed analysis on your part, but go ahead and stick with it.  

Be honest, if Daboll didn’t hit (and his nfl OC resume was awful), McDermott would have been gone a long time ago. But he did hit and for as bad as Dorsey is, it’s still not even close to “bad” in the big picture.

but I still don’t get coaches of SB contenders hiring first time coordinators for such a huge job. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/24/2023 at 12:15 PM, PayDaBill$ said:

The potential problem is what if 22 year old running athlete quarterback is all Josh Allen can do? At 27 years old his body can’t continue with that style of play. The issue I think is Josh Allen doesn’t want to put in the film study to make him a better quarterback like the great ones do. I don’t think the problem is all the offensive coordinator and the coaches. I think Josh Allen has Joe Namath issues too much into being a celebrity problems. Joe Namath never put in the time needed to be great he partied in the nightlife and didn’t protect himself from injuries when he played which we are starting to see with Josh Allen. Yes Joe Namath won a Super Bowl early in his career but he wasted a lot of his talent partying and too caught up running around with chasing women and celebrities around New York City and Los Angeles instead of focusing on what got him famous being a football player with the New York Jets.

Maybe the Buffalo Bills organization like Sean McDermott don’t have the backbone to tell Josh Allen? But I wonder if Stefon Diggs has? That could potentially be the problem between those two who knows? But I do think the problem is Josh Allen needs to put in more film room and game plan study time and Josh Allen is still relying on his athletic ability to get by as a NFL quarterback like a high school student back in my day just winging the test with cliff notes instead of actually reading the Shakespeare book. Where Patrick Mahomes puts in the film room time and game plan study.

When you get picked off first play of the game your are not putting in the film study time. Again Josh Allen can correct that but it is up to him. The Buffalo Bills can fire who ever and if Josh Allen doesn’t do the extra work there is nothing the Bills can do about it. Because Josh Allen already has the guaranteed money so it is up to Josh Allen at the end of the day in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.