Would McDermott Fire Dorsey If We Fail Thursday?

boyst

Would McDermott Fire Dorsey?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. If we come out flat and lay another egg against TB on offense heading into our bye week, would McDermott fire/demote/remove responsibilities of play calling/OC from Dorsey?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If we fail to score points, should he fire him before the bye?

• yes
    • no

6 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

I would think all you guys who hate the scheme would want him to wait until after the season. A mid-season firing means it's the person, not the scheme. 😉

His schemes have worked at times.  The man can't adjust.  And schemes don't adjust themselves.

No. First off any firing would come at the end of the season. Firing him now does what exactly? Gives the reigns to Joe Brady? What has Brady done as an OC to make ANYONE think that's a step up? Mike Shula? Good God, no. Let's see if Ken can fix things. I have my own doubts, but this is what happens when you hire an inexperienced OC. 

And if we do fire him at the end of the year...who exactly do you think gets that OC job? Joe Brady...another "promote from within"? Even if they go outside the organization....I have a feeling they aren't going to look for a guy with a ton of experience. If they go outside my bet is...Tee Martin. So let's all just hope Dorsey can figure things out or we are back to square one with an inexperienced play caller in most likely hood 

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

No. First off any firing would come at the end of the season. Firing him now does what exactly? Gives the reigns to Joe Brady? What has Brady done as an OC to make ANYONE think that's a step up? Mike Shula? Good God, no. Let's see if Ken can fix things. I have my own doubts, but this is what happens when you hire an inexperienced OC. 

And if we do fire him at the end of the year...who exactly do you think gets that OC job? Joe Brady...another "promote from within"? Even if they go outside the organization....I have a feeling they aren't going to look for a guy with a ton of experience. If they go outside my bet is...Tee Higgins. So let's all just hope Dorsey can figure things out or we are back to square one with an inexperienced play caller in most likely hood 

Tee Higgins? I think that he has a few more years of playing before starting his coaching career. I kid, I kid. Tee Martin is an interesting prospect for the OC position and the Bills interviewed him in 2021.

• Haha (+1) 1

If you read through the replies he said in one  "Josh told me he likes running plays out of shotgun" or something to that effect. May have been a Freudian slip. Just making conversation. I didn't believe it either until I read replies too (not just posts). Dorsey is also known to be a hothead, so it wouldn't surprise me if he would want to fight back.

If you'd posted this after the Giants I'd have said yes and yes. Dorsey wasn't the problem at all yesterday. He called a good game. It was the players on offense that were the problem.

The coaching on defense wasn't good yesterday. I actually wonder whether at some point McD would consider handing over defensive playcalling to Holcomb or Washington.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Tee Higgins? I think that he has a few more years of playing before starting his coaching career. I kid, I kid. Tee Martin is an interesting prospect for the OC position and the Bills interviewed him in 2021.

Ha! Yes Martin. 

From what I have read Martin was almost the choice in 2021. Came down to Allen feeling more comfortable with Dorsey. I have almost no doubt that if Dorsey left or was fired Martin would be among their top choices if not first choice. 

Problem is, lack of play calling experience. Again. We are living that reality now.

What is this overwhelming love for Dorsey?  Does he call a good game sometimes? Sure.  But the offense is easily defended against.  There is not creativity, almost no growth from last year.  There are things other NFL offenses are doing (Philly, Mia, KC, San Fran) that the Bills either can't, won't or know how to incorporate.  

I'm not surprised the Bills are struggling.  Allen just out right refuses to take the short stuff and forces passes on long developing plays with a bad O-line.  Not the greatest recipe.  In short, Dorsey is trying to run an incompatible offense with this team.

16 minutes ago, jlgarsh said:

If you read through the replies he said in one  "Josh told me he likes running plays out of shotgun" or something to that effect. May have been a Freudian slip. Just making conversation. I didn't believe it either until I read replies too (not just posts). Dorsey is also known to be a hothead, so it wouldn't surprise me if he would want to fight back.

The sentence I read was more like “Josh prefers shotgun”.  Didn’t specifically include any action of Josh telling this poster that, although for some reason the poster has the understanding or belief.  The person generally makes a strong defense for Dorsey, although their replies and comments don’t read to me like it could actually be Dorsey.

28 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If you'd posted this after the Giants I'd have said yes and yes. Dorsey wasn't the problem at all yesterday. He called a good game. It was the players on offense that were the problem.

The coaching on defense wasn't good yesterday. I actually wonder whether at some point McD would consider handing over defensive playcalling to Holcomb or Washington.

Spot on.

I dont know enough about Holcomb or Washington .  I have heard Bobby Babich speak and he is driven, intelligent and has a passion for the game.  I think he ends up as a DC or HC in the league in the not too distant future.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

This seems like a decent spot for this

https://x.com/NateGearySports/status/1716494948688707858?s=20

I went back and charted every 2nd down and 4 or less until the final two drives where they were in hurry up/catch up mode, you're going to laugh:

2nd and 4 --- James Cook run

2nd and 2 --- James Cook run

2nd and 3 --- James Cook run

2nd and 2 --- James Cook run

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

14 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

https://x.com/NateGearySports/status/1716494948688707858?s=20

He also said they got the first on 5/6 of these runs. That makes it efficient. I think he’s looking for bigger plays in this situation.

• Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'd love to know how much yardage each play gained.

I just went through it quickly and the number I got was 17 yards with 1 of them being negated by a penalty on Kinkaid. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He also said they got the first on 5/6 of these runs. That makes it efficient. I think he’s looking for bigger plays in this situation.

Yeah, only 1 of them went for negative yards so they weren’t unsuccessful by any means. Just an interesting tendency I suppose.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'd love to know how much yardage each play gained.

I didn't check to see if it got them the first down or not, but it looks like:

- 6 yards

- -5 yards

- 4 yards

- 7 yards

- 7 yards negated by holding penalty

- 5 yards

- 1 yard

2nd and Short was always a run to Cook until like the 4th quarter when they were actually trying to move fast. Might've missed a play or two but yeah, not too sure how I feel about being that predictable.

• Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, jlgarsh said:

It would be fun for someone to take the picture shot off a computer screen in that thread & enhance it to get whoever is taking it. I'd bet dollars to donuts that someone with some skill could extract the person taking the photo.

McDorsey can’t coach their way out of a paper bag on offense.  It isn’t until Allen goes into crisis mode in the 4th Qtr when good results happen.

McDermott the DC should be ashamed of himself at coaching a D who allowed Mac Jones a walk off TD drive.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Yeah, makes sense. 2nd and short should open your entire playbook to getting stuff out you might not normally do.

I like moving the chains, and I like running the ball when needed. But I think the point is, we are wasting the opportunities for the Offense to be explosive and just running milquetoast all the time.

Chill TFO. This team isn’t 1-6 or 0-7.  It was one bad defensive stand at the end of yesterday from being in the division lead. 
Yes, there’s plenty of room for improvement, but the knee jerk ‘fire____’ chant is idiotic. Every season has highs and lows.  After a dismal opening day they’re 4-2. 

Be concerned but not time to panic yet. 

2 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

What I meant was does he have that power, or is that Beane.

I assume Beane.

Wouldn't surprise me if McBeaner sit around the table, breaking bread and getting their wives input into how they can repent for Dorseys sins because the knows not what he does.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

No.  The issue that needs to be fixed is figuring out why it takes an entire half to figure out an opponent gameplan and how to protect properly against it.  1st and 2nd half are complete opposites of each other lately.  1st half the O is ineffective, 2nd half mostly unstoppable.  

This SHOULD be very fixable much sooner than halftime.

I saw the buffalo plus people talking about this and I can't imagine why they think this?

McDermott has a staff of people with minimal experience and he is calling the defense.  Instead of adding experience and proven veteran coaches to the staff they removed one.

Its all on McDermott.  IMO he is in no position to be firing people right now.  Its sink or swim for the whole staff the rest of the way this season.  Unless the players are complaining internally about Dorsey but even then that is a whole different can of worms.

The team needs to play better or no one is coming back from this staff, the head coach taking over defensive playcalling and in the first 7 weeks losing to Zach Wilson and Mac Jones and getting lucky to beat tyrod taylor irregardless of injuries tells me this team has problems firing the offensive coordinator with no in house replacement will not solve.

adding talent at the deadline might bring some new energy to a team that seems to be going through the motions at times.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.