Remember the 2021 season: Concern vs Panic

transplantbillsfan

I'm concerned right now. We should all be concerned.

Stop panicking.

The Bills have a worse record than they did at this point last season. They looked inept offensively in the 1st half the last 2 weeks against 2 of the worst teams in the NFL... at least by the metrics of the moment.

But this board has a short memory.

Everyone remember us rolling into the playoffs in 2021? 4 straight wins and then that historically dominant win against the Patriots before the 13 second heartbreaker. And that was the year everyone was saying "that was our year!"

That was also the year we started with an embarrassing and surprising loss to the Steelers, won 4 in a row and then went 3-5 in our next 8 games including disgustingly shameful losses to the Jags and Colts.

Buffalo was 7-6 with 4 games remaining and it was very questionable whether we'd even make the playoffs... much less look so good for a stretch of games.

Here we are again... except it's not as dire as 2021 because we're still so early in the year. Plus, there's really no single dominant team in the NFL. First time in years there were no undefeated teams after 6 weeks.

We have a loooooOOOOooonnngg way to go this season.

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 5
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

Just now, transplantbillsfan said:

Stop panicking.

The Bills have a worse record than they did at this point last season. They looked inept offensively in the 1st half the last 2 weeks against 2 of the worst teams in the NFL... at least by the metrics of the moment.

Everyone remember us rolling into the playoffs in 2021? 4 straight wins and then that historically dominant win against the Patriots before the 13 second heartbreaker. And that was the year everyone was saying "that was our year!"

That was also the year we started with an embarrassing and surprising loss to the Steelers, won 4 in a row and then went 3-5 in our next 8 games including disgustingly shameful losses to the Jags and Colts.

Buffalo was 7-6 with 4 games remaining and it was very questionable whether we'd even make the playoffs... much less look so good for a stretch of games.

Here we are again... except it's not as dire as 2021 because we're still so early in the year. Plus, there's really no single dominant team in the NFL. First time in years there were no undefeated teams after 6 weeks.

giphy.gif

Did the offense work back then? Did we have injuries to our best D players? Did Mac freaking Jones look like an all Pro against us? 

2 weeks ago I would have been with ya. This is now 3 straight with 2 being against horrible teams and key starters out and we lay an egg. You say some are panicking. I say some are burying their head in the sand.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Stop panicking.

giphy.gif

Not to be a Negative Nancy did you take a peak at the upcoming  schedule?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Stop panicking.

giphy.gif

Your comparing an offense that was still creating an identity with a developing QB to the regression of that. Josh looked better in 21. The defense was better in 21. Hell even the special teams is bad now and only getting on older.

• Agree 2

I'm not at panic yet.  But my faith is surely rattled.

There isn't a team we can't beat on the remaining schedule. But there also isn't a team who couldn't beat us.

One at a time, as they say.  What else can we do? Let's beat the Bucs, get to 5-3, and see how the rest play out.  I always say it's better to be the hot team in December and January.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Stop panicking.

giphy.gif

Read the room, man. Read the room. 

• Haha (+1) 2

The 2021 struggles were a coaching staff who couldn’t get it together, then we lost in the divisional round with the infamous 13 seconds. I don’t take much comfort in the 2021 season, because it actually showcased our shortcomings, and maybe the ceiling for this team. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

That team lost to urban Meyer so save it 

I’ll never forget the 41-15 home loss to the Colts as well. Brought a bunch of family to the game from out of town. I remember thinking I’d show them what an elite QB on a contender looks like. Instead the team

suffered one of their random malfunctions we’ve grown accustomed to. 

There is reason for concern, I agree.  All this talk about heads rolling and McD losing the locker room is the usual board hyperbole.  So what do we know?

1.  The defense is definitively weakened with the loss of Tre, Milano and Jones.  Their backups suffer by comparison.  Today we also missed Oliver who has been playing well enough to help with their losses.

2.  Our offense is not playing well.  Why?  Josh's shoulder, drops?  Something is missing though in the last 3 weeks.

3.  Special teams isn't so special.  Uncharacteristically missing FGs, poor coverage...

4.  Josh is not the same Josh.  Their trying to protect him hasn't, and the lack of the threat of his legs is making a huge difference in our offense.

The bottom line is with all of the above, the players need to play mistake free.  They haven't and that has resulted in losses.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Stop panicking.

giphy.gif

Give it up already.   They are toast.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

And where is Urban Meyer now? 

Probably where McD and Dorsey need to be. I don't get your point? That McD gets out coached by has beens and worse? They were a better more dangerous team in 21. They are a shell with an aging core now. 

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Did the offense work back then? Did we have injuries to our best D players? Did Mac freaking Jones look like an all Pro against us? 

Do you actually want answers to these questions? The answers to the first 2 are NO (in a 5 game stretch from Jags to Patriots Buffalo scored 6, 15 and 10) and YES (Tre White).

The last question is no because Mac Jones only threw 3 passes. We lost to him, though.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

2 weeks ago I would have been with ya. This is now 3 straight with 2 being against horrible teams and key starters out and we lay an egg. You say some are panicking. I say some are burying their head in the sand.

Are you saying that's what I'm doing cause I directly said I'm concerned?

2 hours ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Not to be a Negative Nancy did you take a peak at the upcoming  schedule?

Yep.  That year we had some easier opponents on that stretch and AFC East was no where near as tough. Also we had the great second half against a good bucs team that turned the tides and injury wise it was really just Tre. I hope I am wrong but see us more as a 7-10 maybe 8-9 and start the rebuild. I really hope I’m wrong but this Team just doesn’t have it. Process is over.  

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Your comparing an offense that was still creating an identity with a developing QB to the regression of that. Josh looked better in 21. The defense was better in 21. Hell even the special teams is bad now and only getting on older.

How was that offense still creating an identity? Year 3 with Daboll, Beasley and John Brown and Year 2 with Diggs.

I'd argue this offense is still creating its identity much more than that one was. In fact, one thing I hope comes out of this game is more trust in Kincaid by Allen.

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I’m only panicking about my Josh Allen MVP bet… 

Why?

2 hours ago, Success said:

I'm not at panic yet.  But my faith is surely rattled.

There isn't a team we can't beat on the remaining schedule. But there also isn't a team who couldn't beat us.

One at a time, as they say.  What else can we do? Let's beat the Bucs, get to 5-3, and see how the rest play out.  I always say it's better to be the hot team in December and January.

Thank you, sir. You've captured my feelings exactly!

• Like (+1) 1

I guess it shouldn't really matter. How they have looked so far. Meat of the schedule up next. If we ever were going to make a run this year we would have needed to handle this part of our schedule. if we do so, I'm sure most of the concerns we have right now will be gone. If we don't, then we will have a very long offseason. 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yes. And?

Just a few weeks ago Buffalo blew out the Dolphins. It's a week to week league.

Given the upcoming schedule, injuries, & repeated poor play I highly doubt we break 500. It’s unfortunate but I haven’t seen growth over the 7 games all I’ve seen is regression.

6 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

All you've seen is regression? We're you in a coma for weeks 2, 3, & 4??? :doh:

Wash LV 🙄? Come on. Did you see the last 3 performances? That’s a football team that is not improving.

Bookmark this and get back to me when the season ends.

Look hope I’m wrong & thing’s straighten out but this is currently a bad football team.

We now have as many losses after 7 as we did last season. Unfortunately now the meat of the schedule is coming.

Edited by PayDaBill$

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Do you actually want answers to these questions? The answers to the first 2 are NO (in a 5 game stretch from Jags to Patriots Buffalo scored 6, 15 and 10) and YES (Tre White).

The last question is no because Mac Jones only threw 3 passes. We lost to him, though.

Are you saying that's what I'm doing cause I directly said I'm concerned?

I can't say if I'd apply that to you or not as I haven't really looked at what you have said. So without knowing I won't comment.

• Eyeroll 1

It is all Panic at this point all the concerns were in pre season and have come and gone, we failed to address all the roster problems.

The injuries on this team has sealed their fate for this year.  We have no talent left in the pool to step up and make any difference.

Where is Von???  MIA!!  what a bust!!   So much wasted money in his contract.

No Milano....       IR

No Tre White...   IR

No  WR2...           We need to trade for someone

NO Knox....         Playing like complete  💩  More wasted money....

No  OC Dorsey is crap.   Where do you go now to fix this issue. You can't do it now....

No  HC  McD is a joke at this point.  He has no answers and we are all sick of his excuses & mistakes.  He single handedly was the biggest reason this game was lost today.

No Josh17   where is the old Josh.....   That is sorely missing at this time. 

Edited by Toyo321

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Stop panicking.

giphy.gif

I hate Jimmy Fallon

5 hours ago, jkeerie said:

There is reason for concern, I agree.  All this talk about heads rolling and McD losing the locker room is the usual board hyperbole.  So what do we know?

1.  The defense is definitively weakened with the loss of Tre, Milano and Jones.  Their backups suffer by comparison.  Today we also missed Oliver who has been playing well enough to help with their losses.

2.  Our offense is not playing well.  Why?  Josh's shoulder, drops?  Something is missing though in the last 3 weeks.

3.  Special teams isn't so special.  Uncharacteristically missing FGs, poor coverage...

4.  Josh is not the same Josh.  Their trying to protect him hasn't, and the lack of the threat of his legs is making a huge difference in our offense.

The bottom line is with all of the above, the players need to play mistake free.  They haven't and that has resulted in losses.

The biggest thing for me is that the O line is now playing terribly.  As bad as last year.  I worry that defensive coaches have enough film on the two new guards and have identified their weaknesses within the Bills blocking schemes.  We saw something similar last season where it took about 7 or 8 games before opponents realized how bad Saffold and Brown were.

I may come across as an Allen homer but given how the O line had played the last 3 weeks I think Allen has performed very well.  Most QB's would have had nightmarish games facing the pressure he has. The push we've been seeing right up the gut is devastating under the best of circumstances but with a weak right tackle to boot it's hard to overcome.  In fact Allen is one of the few QB's that can make something out of these tough situations.

4 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Bills will win next 9.

From you keyboard to God's ear!

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.