The Bills are Going to Miss the Playoffs

DapperCam

4 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

If we head there 9-7 it will likely be a win and in type game. Hoping that isn’t the case.

9-8 team is pretty likely getting in.  Also in that scenario Miami is resting starters 100%

2 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

It is really obvious that TBDers haven’t watched the Bengals play this year. 

I don’t think they’ve watched anyone play or looked at the standings before declaring we’ll probably miss the playoffs 😂. I think our playoff odds are even better this year than they were at this point last season despite being a win behind lol every other wildcard competitor is in the same division pretty much that is gonna likely be dominated by a single team, one is over a game behind us right now

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

9-8 team is pretty likely getting in.  Also in that scenario Miami is resting starters 100%

I don’t think they’ve watched anyone play or looked at the standings before declaring we’ll probably miss the playoffs 😂. I think our playoff odds are even better this year than they were at this point last season despite being a win behind lol 

And certainly better than in 2021 after the Tampa game at 7-6.

8 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Who are the two teams that knock the bills out of the 7 seed then?  

We will have a much clearer picture once this week's games wrap up. But you bring up a good point it that right now it seems like there is sizeable separation between the top 7 in the standings and everyone else. But part of that separation right now is that the Bills already played this week and everyone else still has to play. Because of this the Bills are 2 games up in the win column on the next best teams behind them after 7. But a couple of these teams will likely get W's and then only be one game back.

The obvious choices I think would have to be Bengals and Chargers and each has a head-to-head against us remaining. Chargers are only one game back in the loss column and play the Bears. They have already had their bye week so they can pick up an extra win when the Bills eventually have their bye. The game two weeks before Christmas could be huge depending on how things unfold. 

3 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I disagree that 9-8 definitely gets in. Would likely have to rely on tie breakers in that case and our AFC record might be worse.

Assuming Dolphins, Chiefs, Ravens and Jags win their divisions, I see a path for any of these teams to making it to 9-8: Bills, Browns, Steelers, Bengals, Texans. Maybe even the Jets, but probably not with Wilson.

If you look at the Texans remaining schedule it is a joke. I could see them grabbing a wild card spot for sure.

13 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

If cincy loses today I doubt we are the betting underdog next week.  

lol if we’re heading into week 18 at 10-6, who are the 3 better teams eliminating us from playoff contention at 10-7.  Is anyone making these predictions looking at the standings? 😂 there’s little to no chance we miss the playoffs at 10-7 the way things have shook out so far 

My setup is obviously about catching Miami or I wouldn’t have posted the Miami part of it.  However, yeah if we finish at 10-7 and split with Philly and Dallas (let’s say) that means we are 6-6 in the conference.  I really don’t think it is impossible for 3 other teams to be at least 10-7. 

We have the entirety of the central and annoyingly, possibly even the Jets with Wilson and QB, which I believe is one of the signs of the apocalypse.

Btw, this administrations next playoff win on the road will be their first playoff win in the road.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

1 minute ago, DapperCam said:

I disagree that 9-8 definitely gets in. Would likely have to rely on tie breakers in that case and our AFC record might be worse.

Assuming Dolphins, Chiefs, Ravens and Jags win their divisions, I see a path for any of these teams to making it to 9-8: Bills, Browns, Steelers, Bengals, Texans. Maybe even the Jets, but probably not with Wilson.

If you look at the Texans remaining schedule it is a joke. I could see them grabbing a wild card spot for sure.

Did I say definitely? 😂 I believe I said ‘pretty likely’ 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

The Bills are as likely to go on a run and lock up home field advantage as they are to miss the playoffs.  In 2020 TB was 7 - 5 before going on a SB winning run that included winning all 3 ROAD playoff games.  The 2021 Bills were 7 - 6 and thought dead before going on a run that likely would have seen them in the SB had "13 seconds" not happened.  

Take it one game at a time.

This. 

As McDermott would say, "nothing is guaranteed, everything is earned".  

Every year some teams go on a tear early in the season and then fade (2020 Steelers, 11-0 finished 12-4 and got washed in the WC round).  Other teams are up-and-down but solidify their play and make the playoffs or even win the Superbowl.  In 2021, the Chiefs were 3-3 and then 3-4 at one point, before winning 8 and a row and ultimately losing to the Bengals in the conference championship, I think in part because "13 seconds" the previous week took everything they had.

Does it look like a cakewalk, no it does not, but sometimes when things look like a cakewalk (Steelers) one needs to beware a House of Cards.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, BadboyBills said:

If we somehow don't acquire any D help we're cooked. 

Somehow ? I don’t think it’s likely that the Bills will acquire any significant defensive additions at this point in the season. The best they can do is get Jones and / or Milano back later in the year, while also continuing to ramp up Miller for the late season stretch. Besides, their best chance at success is with the Offense. 

4 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

This bills lost to the Pats and barely beat the Giants. Cinci can be dog water (as the kids say) and I'm going to be nervous. 

And you’re not wrong to be nervous.  Winning is far from certain.  But this thread seems be certain we’re not winning.

6 hours ago, DapperCam said:

Assuming Dolphins, Chiefs, Ravens and Jags win their divisions, 

Dolphins are not winning the division. Bills own Miami.

Also, in general, there is way too much gloom and doom in this thread and even after the Bills win. Why do Bills fans like misery?

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Success said:

Here's hoping that this thread continues to age poorly.

Is it aging poorly?

Part of the reason we are currently in a playoff spot is because NYJ had their bye week already (we are 1/2 game up).

We also have the worst division record and worst conference record of any team currently slotted in a playoff spot.

We are 1 loss away from potentially dropping to 10th in the conference, with a gauntlet of games coming up.

Im sweating.

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

12 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Yeah. Very true.I think the Bills can win for sure. Just got to clean some stuff up. We'll see if they do. The defense concerns me tho. Go Bills!

I think to be competitive against the top teams, we need an infusion of talent at the trade deadline.  So we’ll learn a lot about how the coaches and Beane see it, depending upon whether they make any moves, and which moves they make.

18 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

It sure would've had Godwin turned around.  Brilliant observation, considering hindsight is always 20/20.

Seriously?  C’Mon Man, there are a good handful of “if only this one play were different” on both sides of the ball.  Always are.

Your contention was “Baker is going to have a day”. 

Good analysis here

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Seriously?  C’Mon Man, there are a good handful of “if only this one play were different” on both sides of the ball.  Always are.

Your contention was “Baker is going to have a day”. 

Good analysis here

Seriously?  C'Mon Man, combing back through old posts just to say nananana you were wrong?!  Given what we had already seen against the likes of Jones and Taylor it was not an unreasonable possibility.  But congrats, your astute 20/20 hindsight was well worth the post.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Seriously?  C'Mon Man, combing back through old posts just to say nananana you were wrong?!  Given what we had already seen against the likes of Jones and Taylor it was not an unreasonable possibility.  But congrats, your astute 20/20 hindsight was well worth the post.

Why would Godwin, whose job it was to face Evans and wait for a deflection, turn around to catch the ball? it was not his job on the play. 

• Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, Franco_92 said:

Why would Godwin, whose job it was to face Evans and wait for a deflection, turn around to catch the ball? it was not his job on the play. 

You sure about that?🤣  Might want to take another look.  Godwin is clearly turned all the way around facing the QB and the ball before it got there, he just lost sight of it.  Evans is about 7 yards directly behind him, so if his job as you say was to face Evans and wait for a deflection he failed miserably on 2 fronts🤣

https://x.com/NFL/status/1717743499280609333?s=20

27 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

You sure about that?🤣  Might want to take another look.  Godwin is clearly turned all the way around facing the QB and the ball before it got there, he just lost sight of it.  Evans is about 7 yards directly behind him, so if his job as you say was to face Evans and wait for a deflection he failed miserably on 2 fronts🤣

https://x.com/NFL/status/1717743499280609333?s=20

He was confused why the play hadn't happened because Baker had to rainbow it so high, that's why he was miles late to turn around despite the throw taking forever lol, and why Evans was turned around far before him. Multiple NFL players have put out videos explaining the hail mary set up for Tampa, they are linked in the thread about the hail Mary. They have 4 layers of receivers, Evans towards the back of the end zone whose job it is to win or pop up a jump ball, another guy at the front of the endzone to do the same thing, Godwin between them to be ready for any deflection, and the same for a guy in front of the shallow guy. 

ie yeah I am sure 

46 minutes ago, Franco_92 said:

He was confused why the play hadn't happened because Baker had to rainbow it so high, that's why he was miles late to turn around despite the throw taking forever lol, and why Evans was turned around far before him. Multiple NFL players have put out videos explaining the hail mary set up for Tampa, they are linked in the thread about the hail Mary. They have 4 layers of receivers, Evans towards the back of the end zone whose job it is to win or pop up a jump ball, another guy at the front of the endzone to do the same thing, Godwin between them to be ready for any deflection, and the same for a guy in front of the shallow guy. 

ie yeah I am sure 

So he did turn around?  Almost immediately.  Because the ball was too high?  I'm sure he was expecting it on a line, from 60 yards out.  From Baker Mayfield.  ok

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Is it aging poorly?

Part of the reason we are currently in a playoff spot is because NYJ had their bye week already (we are 1/2 game up).

We also have the worst division record and worst conference record of any team currently slotted in a playoff spot.

We are 1 loss away from potentially dropping to 10th in the conference, with a gauntlet of games coming up.

Im sweating.

You’re sweating? With 10 weeks to go in the season??

• Thank you (+1) 1

The Cinci game is enormous for momentum and confidence for the second half of the season. Win, and they are in a good spot to win 12 or so games, 2nd or 3rd seed & have a spot clinched weeks before the season ends; a loss could lead to a downward spiral no one wants to see. The 4th conference loss this early in the season, not to mention the mental toll in the locker room, could be the end.

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

You’re sweating? With 10 weeks to go in the season??

The margin of error is pretty slim. We need to go 5-4 the rest of the way and we have a hard schedule (3rd most difficult remaining schedule).

I think we either need to win the next 3 games or Miami has to start losing some games to make it (Miami has the 4th most difficult remaining schedule).

12 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

For the ‘bills miss’ crowd, who are your 3 wildcard teams? I think this is a lot of doomsaying without much critical thought honestly.  Right now we are the 7 seed and the 5-6 is pit and Cleveland.  Do you expect them to stay there? Then trailing us is Houston,NYJ, and cincy. I’ll give cincy the benefit of the doubt especially since they got lucky with purdy out today but one of pit/Cleveland is undoubtedly going to fall off if not both

i wanna see some people on record with their silly playoff picks 😂. Bills are probably 75-80% gonna make it right now.  If we beat cincy next week I don’t really see a path to us missing 

Let me ask you, do you really see a path to us beating Cinci? Joe Burrow is back.

12 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

It is really obvious that TBDers haven’t watched the Bengals play this year. 

I saw some today. Enough to scare the ***** out of me.

With all that we've been lacking this season, bad coaching, bad defense, bad offense, injuries... I am not confident about anything now with this team. In fact, if you want me to, I can argue I see a path to Bills losing out! I kid. They've been that bad and everything seems to be coming to a head now.

One thing that gives me great comfort is the NY Giants. Whatever year they won a Super Bowl with Eli they entered the post season at 9-7 if I recall and just started rolling through the post season. Anyways I came on here today to get some positive vibes. Thanks everyone. Thanks a lot.

Edited by beerme1
  • Eyeroll 1

We will need one "good" win somewhere to be assured of making it and to not lose any more games to teams we should beat. 

But there is definitely a route to the Bills missing out. I would say no chance if we were 5-3 but healthy. 5-3 but banged up is a different kettle of fish. 

Down two 1st team all pro level defenders. Down another defensive starter who we don't have great depth for. A QB with a gimpy throwing shoulder. And a tight end with a broken wrist. 

Not exactly a positive picture. I don't see us winning any fewer than 9. But I don't see us winning any more than 11 best case scenario. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, chongli said:

Dolphins are not winning the division. Bills own Miami.

Also, in general, there is way too much gloom and doom in this thread and even after the Bills win. Why do Bills fans like misery?

Have you seen Western New York sports history of the four majors and college sports always something goes wrong. From the Bonnies Bob Lanier hurting his knee against Villanova not being able to play in the NCAA final four, to the Braves losing with no time on the clock to the Boston Celtics to the Sabres losing to the Philadelphia Flyers to the Bills losing 4 Straight Super Bowls to the Sabres no goal against the Dallas Stars to the Bills losing in home run throwback against the Tennessee Titans to the Bills 13 seconds against the Kansas City Chiefs doesn’t give a Western New York sports fans a lot of confidence over the years in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

So he did turn around?  Almost immediately.  Because the ball was too high?  I'm sure he was expecting it on a line, from 60 yards out.  From Baker Mayfield.  ok

As the ball was hitting the turf 4 yards away, yes, he spun around. it was very late with zero time to track despite the ball hanging in the air longer than a typical hail mary, because his primary job down there wasn't the same as Evans', like I said. Here is an ex-NFL quarterback explaining the play, and why "he's so late to turn around" "his job is to really be looking at one of these guys (evans and the other wr)" and get ready for the deflection. 

https://x.com/danorlovsky7/status/1717929916820226558?s=20

• Disagree 2

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

We will need one "good" win somewhere to be assured of making it and to not lose any more games to teams we should beat. 

But there is definitely a route to the Bills missing out. I would say no chance if we were 5-3 but healthy. 5-3 but banged up is a different kettle of fish. 

Down two 1st team all pro level defenders. Down another defensive starter who we don't have great depth for. A QB with a gimpy throwing shoulder. And a tight end with a broken wrist. 

Not exactly a positive picture. I don't see us winning any fewer than 9. But I don't see us winning any more than 11 best case scenario. 

If we can't get one "good" win I'm not sure I can stick with "just make the playoffs and anything can happen" - which is pretty much where I'm at right now.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.