Davante Adams trade speculation…UPDATE: Schefter says no chance he is traded today (link pg 17)

Alphadawg7

6 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I agree, I think Hyde and Poyer are gone after this year, wouldn’t mind Hyde coming back on a reasonable deal like Poyer did, but Po looks cooked.

AJE is going to get paid, make no mistake.   Pass rushers get paid, he’s on pace for at least double digit sacks, he’s been batting down balls, causing havoc.   While it’s great, the better he plays the remainder of the year, the less likely the Bills can pay him.   Unless you consider 15+ a year “reasonable” he’s a goner.

The Titans are in a tough spot.  Supposedly, D-Hop wants to win, and they clearly aren’t going to, but they also need to know what they have at QB and that’s a lot harder to figure out with no targets to throw to.  I’d venture to guess, they won’t trade him, he’s cheap and pretty valuable to them.

Adams is just too much to make happen. 

Poyer has another year so he’s most likely here in 2024.  After 24, he’ll be gone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

2 minutes ago, without a drought said:

There's an out after this year with only 2 mil in dead cap. There is 5.5 mil savings on the cap. This is probably his last, he won't be here with a 7.5 mil cap hit in 2024. 

Thanks drought.  That I didn’t know.  My feeling is let’s see how this plays out with Poyer.  If you guys remember last year, we looked a lot weaker at the safety position when Hyde went down and the games Poyer was out.

As much as there is a real need for our 1st next year to be a WR, I can see Safety as another position.  We look pretty deep at everything else as even Brown has been improving at RT.

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Look, this is revisionist history x 1000.

In the 2019 off-season, Beane's first priority was to improve the OL, which could neither run block nor pass protect in 2018.  No OL, no Josh.

Hence the firing of Juan Castillo, the hiring of Bobby Johnson, letting him bring in "his guy" in Feliciano, signing Mitch Morse in FA, doubling down at various positions like C and RT in the journeyman FA market, and yes, drafting Ford. 

Ford was graded as a year-1 starter by Lance Zierlein (grades not infalliable but his scouting evaluations usually have me nodding when I go back and read them after a player has been in the league a while).  Ford was generally regarded as high ceiling, low floor guy - somewhat raw at tackle, but with a lot of physical traits and athleticism to develop into a solid starting OLman.  (And the fact that he's still in the NFL on a team which hopes to contend says Beane and his men aren't alone in that scouting e v a l).  I'm afraid if you want us to believe that you thought Ford was "a disappointment from the moment they called his name", you're going to have to show your receipts.

Ford showed flashes at RT his rookie season, starting 15 games (but platooning with Ty Nseckhe).  He also suffered a lot of injuries, some of which he probably tried too hard to play through (I can remember a game vs Tenn where he was on injury report with a knee injury, but he couldn't seem to lift his R arm into blocking position).  It happens that a guy who shows a lot of athleticism and physical promise and flashes as a rookie, fizzles because injuries derail him.  (That may become true of Spence Brown, by the way.)

Beane's second 2019 off-season priority was to bring in experienced, solid WR who were already solid route runners and who would help Josh Allen develop and expand his passing vocabulary as "player coaches".  And it paid off handsomely with Cole Beasley, who bonded with Allen then started arguing with Allen in training camp about throwing with anticipation and how to read the D.  Allen wouldn't be the QB he is today without Beasley and to a lesser extent, John Brown.

Has Beane neglected the WR position (in fact, the offense) overall?  I would say "yes".  But it doesn't come down to one year or one round.  And part of it comes down to misses, or to players who have all the athletic potential in the world but for some reason, take a while to get their head in the right place and live up to it (Zay Jones, I'm talking about you). 

And Yes, the guys who drafted AJ Brown and Metcalf have their misses, too - how many Lombardis does Jon Robinson have again?  Oh that's right - he's 47 and home sitting on the couch. 

So no, you can't say "whooo, if Beane had drafted AJ Brown or Deebo Samuel in the 2nd we woulda won at least one Lombardi by now", any more than the 8th grade girls CYC Bball team can say "we would have won the championship if I sunk that 3 pointer at the half".  (DK Metcalf was drafted before we picked, so that's Top Drawer Revisionism there).  You change one thing, and everything else in the game changes.

Nice post, well said.  Also...Ford was graded to go as high as 15th overall in the draft.  And when I did one of my mock drafts that year and I had us taking Ford in the 2nd, tons of people piled on me and said no way Ford ever gets to the 2nd round or anywhere close to us.  Now that he didn't work out, people act like it was a known fact he was gonna be a bust.  

I was pounding the drum months before the draft for DK and I wanted him in the first, and when he was still there in the 2nd I was again praying it was DK even though I knew for sure it was gonna be Ford especially after the trade up.  But as much as I wanted DK, I was not at all upset with the Ford pick because our OL needed help and he was great value there for that spot in that draft.  

Revisionists always crack me up and they pretend GM's were magically supposed to have seen into the future on every pick.  Ford was a good pick there at that moment in that draft.  Ultimately he didn't work out, but no one was going to blame any team for drafting Ford there.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Because they're wide receivers Beane could have chosen. What's your point?

For your sake I'll assume your first paragraph is sarcasm.

We don't need two #1 WRs (although Miami has that). We need a #2 and a #3. We have neither. Davis ain't it. Nor is anyone else on the roster.

You said “notable receivers” then go in to name guys like Antonio Callaway, Mecole Hardman, Van Jefferson, Elijah Moore, Rondale Moore, David Bell, do I need to keep going? Then name several WR from this years draft who have done nothing. Notable means they have done something of significance at this point. That is my point. Just naming names isn’t naming notable wide receivers 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

You said “notable receivers” then go in to name guys like Antonio Callaway, Mecole Hardman, Van Jefferson, Elijah Moore, Rondale Moore, David Bell, do I need to keep going? Then name several WR from this years draft who have done nothing. Notable means they have done something of significance at this point. That is my point. Just naming names isn’t naming notable wide receivers 

Always love "arguing semantics" guy.

I would take all of those receivers over Gabe Davis, btw.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Always love "arguing semantics" guy.

I would take all of those receivers over Gabe Davis, btw.

Gotta love “complaining just to complain but have no real substance” guy. Fine, I’ll bite-explain to me what any of those guys have done that would put them above Gabe. I don’t want to hear what Gabe doesn’t do, I want to hear what they have done 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Gotta love “complaining just to complain but have no real substance” guy. Fine, I’ll bite-explain to me what any of those guys have done that would put them above Gabe. I don’t want to hear what Gabe doesn’t do, I want to hear what they have done 

Especially since Gabe has shown he can come up big in big spots. I don’t trust any of those guys over Gabe in the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/20/2023 at 11:40 AM, Beck Water said:

Look, this is revisionist history x 1000.

In the 2019 off-season, Beane's first priority was to improve the OL, which could neither run block nor pass protect in 2018.  No OL, no Josh.

Hence the firing of Juan Castillo, the hiring of Bobby Johnson, letting him bring in "his guy" in Feliciano, signing Mitch Morse in FA, doubling down at various positions like C and RT in the journeyman FA market, and yes, drafting Ford. 

Ford was graded as a year-1 starter by Lance Zierlein (grades not infalliable but his scouting evaluations usually have me nodding when I go back and read them after a player has been in the league a while).  Ford was generally regarded as high ceiling, low floor guy - somewhat raw at tackle, but with a lot of physical traits and athleticism to develop into a solid starting OLman.  (And the fact that he's still in the NFL on a team which hopes to contend says Beane and his men aren't alone in that scouting e v a l).  I'm afraid if you want us to believe that you thought Ford was "a disappointment from the moment they called his name", you're going to have to show your receipts.

Ford showed flashes at RT his rookie season, starting 15 games (but platooning with Ty Nseckhe).  He also suffered a lot of injuries, some of which he probably tried too hard to play through (I can remember a game vs Tenn where he was on injury report with a knee injury, but he couldn't seem to lift his R arm into blocking position).  It happens that a guy who shows a lot of athleticism and physical promise and flashes as a rookie, fizzles because injuries derail him.  (That may become true of Spence Brown, by the way.)

Beane's second 2019 off-season priority was to bring in experienced, solid WR who were already solid route runners and who would help Josh Allen develop and expand his passing vocabulary as "player coaches".  And it paid off handsomely with Cole Beasley, who bonded with Allen then started arguing with Allen in training camp about throwing with anticipation and how to read the D.  Allen wouldn't be the QB he is today without Beasley and to a lesser extent, John Brown.

Has Beane neglected the WR position (in fact, the offense) overall?  I would say "yes".  But it doesn't come down to one year or one round.  And part of it comes down to misses, or to players who have all the athletic potential in the world but for some reason, take a while to get their head in the right place and live up to it (Zay Jones, I'm talking about you). 

And Yes, the guys who drafted AJ Brown and Metcalf have their misses, too - how many Lombardis does Jon Robinson have again?  Oh that's right - he's 47 and home sitting on the couch. 

So no, you can't say "whooo, if Beane had drafted AJ Brown or Deebo Samuel in the 2nd we woulda won at least one Lombardi by now", any more than the 8th grade girls CYC Bball team can say "we would have won the championship if I sunk that 3 pointer at the half".  (DK Metcalf was drafted before we picked, so that's Top Drawer Revisionism there).  You change one thing, and everything else in the game changes.

Wow, that was a lot of yakking to say that Beane forced an early pick(plus 2 4th's) for perceived immediate need at a non-premium position..........which is the perfect formula for failure, btw.    

We know now that having two very good WR's is much more important than the quality of your RT wrt to reaching and winning SB's.

And btw,  "Ford showed flashes at RT his rookie season" is both very subjective and of questionable consequence.    Brandon Spoon showed flashes at LB his rookie year.   I could give a long, long list of washouts who were graded on a curve by fans in their rookie year so they seemed to be on some kind of positive trajectory when, in fact, they just sucked.    Ford has always been a 40's-low 50's PFF grade OL from 2019 on.   He sucked in 2019 and he still sucks.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

There’s of course a chance he could tell the front office to deal him to a contender between now and tomorrow

What would it take is the question because I don’t think they’d take the bulk of that contract this year. They traded a first and a second then handed him a 5/140m contract…

Surely they’d want a first next year to begin talks. 

Adams half-assed his route on 4th & 10 and never got open, leading to Jimmy G holding the ball & getting sacked for the 19th time tonight & essentially sealing the game. He also had a big drop on 3rd down from his own goal line early in the game. Then he slams his helmet.

As good as he can be, I'm pretty sure Beane will not be calling the Raiders.

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

My God the thought of Adams and Diggs with Allen is too fun.  

F them picks Beane. Make it happen

would anyone really care if we gave up similar compensation to what we gave for Diggs if the result gets us a Championship? 

I would give a first and a second for Adams.

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

would anyone really care if we gave up similar compensation to what we gave for Diggs if the result gets us a Championship? 

Taken into account their ability to draft legitimate players in the first round. I’m with you. Give up the 1st rounder in a heart beat. Ask them to eat some of his salary this season to make it work. Then rework his deal. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I'd honestly send them Gabe Davis, Elam and a 1st. Will the Bills sign Gabe next year? 

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

I would give a first and a second for Adams.

We got Diggs for a 1st and a 4th. He didn't have the established production that Adams has but he was younger and not a half season rental. I'd like to think the same compensation could get Adams now.

I think Mark Davis should fire McDaniels tomorrow and go into rebuild mode, but I doubt he actually does it. It also hinges on Beane being willing to make one midseason all-in move and I'm not sure he is ever going to do that.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.