Week 4, Bills favored by 3 over Dolphins

Chaos

16 hours ago, appoo said:

They also have Christian Gonzalaz, Kyle Duggar, Jabrill Peppers, Jonathan Jones and Jalen Mills - all 5 of whom might be faster than any Bills rotational secondary player

Perhaps, but the Bills seem to do just fine with what they have...likely because they are fundamentally sound and usually in the right positions.

15 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Perhaps, but the Bills seem to do just fine with what they have...likely because they are fundamentally sound and usually in the right positions.

Agreed.  I think this game will be very telling about our Safety situation this season.

Can our cerebral/fundamental play back there match up well enough against the speed and looks Miami can throw at us?

As far as our corner play.. Without Elam getting any run, we don’t have burners, but if you look at the coverage metrics through 3 games.. Tre is holding his own and Benford/Johnson are elite.  

We also have a top 5 DL and likely the fastest linebacker duo in the league. 

As obnoxious as the ESPN analysts can be.. Bart and RC do make a good point about their run game vs our Nickel looks with Bernard/Milano as undersized linebackers.   Going to be real interesting to see if we can slow down their rushing attack and force them to throw the ball.. as counterproductive as that sounds with their weapons. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

I hope so as this game worries me. Can the Buffalo secondary keep up with all their speed?

If they win both teams are 3-1 and Buffalo has the edge. If they lose 2-2 vs 4-0 yikes.

A shame Von isn't playing.

People keep saying this like they have Ferraris and we have Cavaliers. Their guys are like 1/4 - 1/2 second faster over 40 yards.  Yes, the speed absolutely matters but we play mostly zone defense.  We aren't running with them from the line all the way through the play.  What matters is we disrupt their timing, get to the ball, take good angles, and don't miss tackles. Maintain zone integrity and don't give too much space.  Hold tough in the redzone where speed doesn't matter as much. Make them kick fg's.  Offense needs to maintain drives, put it in the endzone, don't turn over the ball.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 6

19 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

People keep saying this like they have Ferraris and we have Cavaliers. Their guys are like 1/4 - 1/2 second faster over 40 yards.  Yes, the speed absolutely matters but we play mostly zone defense.  We aren't running with them from the line all the way through the play.  What matters is we disrupt their timing, get to the ball, take good angles, and don't miss tackles. Maintain zone integrity and don't give too much space.  Hold tough in the redzone where speed doesn't matter as much. Make them kick fg's.  Offense needs to maintain drives, put it in the endzone, don't turn over the ball.

I think McDermott will have the defense ready. I don't see the Dolphins scoring more than 27 points. That's a lot, but I can easily see the Bills offense scoring more than that. In other words, the Bills are likely to score more points against the Miami defense than the Miami offense against the Bills defense. 

Genius, ain't I? 😁

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, finn said:

I think McDermott will have the defense ready. I don't see the Dolphins scoring more than 27 points. That's a lot, but I can easily see the Bills offense scoring more than that. In other words, the Bills are likely to score more points against the Miami defense than the Miami offense against the Bills defense. 

Genius, ain't I? 😁

i'd be surprised if either team lets the other score more than 30 points.

• Like (+1) 1

https://twitter.com/alexbrasky/status/1707154174914232442?s=20

“I just feel like it’s not any different from any away game,” said Hill, “They got a great team. I feel like the fan base is just like any other fan base. So it’s gonna be just like a normal environment, you know, to us.”

Edited by BillsFan4

I have no idea if this was mentioned at all on here, but I would like to think that Sherfield could be a bit of a factor this week maybe giving good insight on how the Miami offense likes to attack certain defensive looks and what could disrupt it. Might not be a big factor but anyway we could possibly slow that offense down even just a bit could be huge in this game imo.

• Like (+1) 2

if someone gets under his skin maybe he'll jump into the stands and beat up a woman and child

having said that, i'm not sure that what he said is that controversial.  im entirely in favor of making it loud enough that it costs them a false start or two though

4 minutes ago, julian said:

You’d be surprised if Josh Allen continues to score at will against this below average D … I’d be shocked if Bills don’t put up 30+

Wrong lens

Id be surprised if the Dolphins allow the Bills to get enough TOP to score a lot of times.

Id equally be surprised if the Bills try to put up big plays and expose their defense to longer drives, TOP, and not play some sort of ball control with Cook, Murray, and Harris taking time off the clock.

------

Poyer out

Edited by boyst

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

Wrong lens

Id be surprised if the Dolphins allow the Bills to get enough TOP to score a lot of times.

Id equally be surprised if the Bills try to put up big plays and expose their defense to longer drives, TOP, and not play some sort of ball control with Cook, Murray, and Harris taking time off the clock.

Ok I understand your POV better now, but I’m going with the only thing I’ve seen which is #17 putting up ridiculous numbers against the fish until I see otherwise.

Just now, julian said:

Ok I understand your POV better now, but I’m going with the only thing I’ve seen which is #17 putting up ridiculous numbers against the fish until I see otherwise.

again, the lens you need.

his numbers in Miami last year - hell, all fo the offensive numbers - were tremendous.

hopefully coach realizes the only number that we need ot get is the score.

we go into this playing our offense which in 2023 is not blow up the scoreboard. we play our way to simply win by an entire strategy which puts all three in simpatico 

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

again, the lens you need.

his numbers in Miami last year - hell, all fo the offensive numbers - were tremendous.

hopefully coach realizes the only number that we need ot get is the score.

we go into this playing our offense which in 2023 is not blow up the scoreboard. we play our way to simply win by an entire strategy which puts all three in simpatico 

Well, as long as they win I don’t care how they do it, so here’s to hoping it happens.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Fins have a gimmicky team. The gimmick won't work all the time and their team will never win a Superbowl like this. 

I do believe the "smoke and mirrors" that has elevated the play of a very weak OL will be exposed by better Defenses like the Bills. 

Bills are a well rounded, solid football team playing at home in a difficult environment. Bills have owned the Dolphins the last several years, even the last loss was a flukey 22 game , where the offense had nearly 500 yards, but made several bone-headed miscues in Q4 that cost them the game. 

I like Buffalo here. I feel the Bills D-line will be a huge reason for the win. They'll get some pressure and limit the run. I think they will still gash us now and then , but the Bills will keep it contained and stave off bleeding. Longer more methodical drives by the offense will add to keep Miami O off the field. I expect the crowd and pass coverage to knock off Tua just enough to open up some mistakes by Miami. 

The Bills have almost always moved the ball against the Phins D with ease, and I expect that to continue. The Online has been tested against some stout DLs and pass rushers, and looked tough and highly improved. It's not gimmicks that are making that unit look like the class of the AFCE. 

The Bills routinely put up major points on this group, but the problems on O are bone headed errors- turnovers, penalties, and goofs. I expect the Bills to play a cleaner game, and run the ball better. 

Final 31-21 Bills

Edited by RichRiderBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, arcane said:

Jaelen Phillips officially ruled out for Miami. That is probably a bigger blow to them than poyer is to us. 

This one is huge. Like I said, Bills miscues and some protection gaffs leading to strip sacks/ fumbles have been the biggest reason the Phins have kept our McDaniel era games close. 

This is the best line we've had. I'm confident this will really cut down on their ability to pressure us. 

1 minute ago, wjag said:

So McD went from day-to-day to out.  Something escalated or deteriorated fast with Poyer.  Could this be a back door benching...  Um, you're like hurt...  Maybe take the week...

I didn't take it like that. 

But also think Jordan at 80% (just hypothetical) isn't as good as Rapp at 100%-- at least this week, with the speed and dynamic passing attack of Miamis.

Depends what type of defensive plan Coach has up his sleeve.  If it's a mostly soft/2 deep shell, safety play is even more mitigated/less impactful.  

Not to downplay Po absence, but this game was likely coming down to our front 4 and ability to limit YAC on defense.  And our offense being able to sustain/finish drives.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.