Rough season opening losses— are we snake bit?

Miyagi-Do Karate

Is it just me, or do we have a disproportionate number of opening season heartbreakers? I am not talking just losses; I mean buzzer-beater type losses.

to name a few:

1) 2002: also lost on the last play of the game to the jets. Chad Morton 100 yard KO return in OT.

2) 2004: lost on last play of the game against Jags— big 4th and long conversion, and then Ernest wildfire catches the GW TD with a few seconds left on a force-out call.

3) 2007: Broncos win on GW FG, where Jason Elam ran onto the field to kick it and the announcers were screaming there wasn’t going to be enough time left.

4) 2009: McKelvin fumble in the last minute on a KO return, which led to patriots 1-point victory.

5) 2013: patriots kick GW FG with 4 seconds left to win by 2 points

6) 2023: jets punt return in OT to win it.

These are just ones in my recent memory. I suspect there are even more….

Do we still lose if Wilson doesn't make e an amazing catch? I doubt it but who knows. I physically throw up after the game. Yet today it's more clear to me that we lost to a good defense in the Jets much like last year. Yet last year we also went 13-2 against the rest of the league. I'm upset but the sky isn't falling yet.

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There is no balance.  

It's a weird thing about the Bills. And it's not just opening day.  Most fans around the league can name some of the more prominent ones.

But there is a very short list of corresponding flukey/weird endings that went the Bills' way.  It's just disproportionate. I'd be okay losing the occasional heartbreaker, if we also won 1 or 2 along the way.  The vast majority of time, we're on the losing end of these kinds of games.

• Agree 1

Not just opening season heartbreakers, how about games that are memorable for the entire country, and they always end in Buffalo losses?!?  

Just in the last couple years, everyone will remember the game when Aaron Rodgers with all the build up had a 4 play season.  And we Lost!  Last season the Minnesota game was voted the game of the year, so many chances to win and we Lost!  The KC 13 second game was legendary, and we Lost!

There are plenty more over the years.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I think you can remove "season opening" from the thread title.

23 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Disproportionate amount of weird losses period

I mean who loses on a walk off punt return lol

I mean, I am only talking about season openers. No doubt we have had a lot of other bad losses too. But this is such a high number to lose this way on the first week of the season. 

That's true.  They said last night that Allen is 0-5 in OT games in his NFL career, so it's been a while for sure.

Another last-second WIN that came to mind was at Baltimore last season.

Of course, I am talking in general, whereas the original thread was about season opening games.  Last year's opener at the Rams (which I was able to attend in person) was a whole lot more enjoyable than the debacle that was last night.

Edited by msw2112

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Do we still lose if Wilson doesn't make e an amazing catch? I doubt it but who knows. I physically throw up after the game. Yet today it's more clear to me that we lost to a good defense in the Jets much like last year. Yet last year we also went 13-2 against the rest of the league. I'm upset but the sky isn't falling yet.

No the sky isn't falling but when you keep making all the dumb mistakes over and over again it gets old.  I can care less if Josh doesn't enjoy being patient on the football field taking the easy stuff he's given.  If he needs his sugar high plays he can save those till after they build a big enough lead they can cover any bone headed plays.

5 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Is it just me, or do we have a disproportionate number of opening season heartbreakers? I am not talking just losses; I mean buzzer-beater type losses.

to name a few:

1) 2002: also lost on the last play of the game to the jets. Chad Morton 100 yard KO return in OT.

2) 2004: lost on last play of the game against Jags— big 4th and long conversion, and then Ernest wildfire catches the GW TD with a few seconds left on a force-out call.

3) 2007: Broncos win on GW FG, where Jason Elam ran onto the field to kick it and the announcers were screaming there wasn’t going to be enough time left.

4) 2009: McKelvin fumble in the last minute on a KO return, which led to patriots 1-point victory.

Off the top my head to counter that they had a few pretty good exciting last minute wins on opening day:

1988 or 1989 Kelly ran in the last TD against the Dolphins with no time left

1995 Bills held off the Patriots deep in their red zone to win

1996 beat the NY Giants in NJ in Overtime.  I remember a great Kelly to Reed TD 

2000 beat and hold off the Titans after the Music City Miracle.  The Titans kicker missed at the end of regulation to tie the game 

2014 Beat Da Bears in OT.  Freddie had that famous run where he ran over that Bears defender

Edited by Another Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Off the top my head to counter that they had a few pretty good exciting last minute wins on opening day:

1988 or 1989 Kelly ran in the last TD against the Dolphins with no time left

1995 Bills held off the Patriots deep in their red zone to win

1996 beat the NY Giants in NJ in Overtime.  I remember a great Kelly to Reed TD 

2000 beat and hold off the Titans after the Music City Miracle.  The Titans kicker missed at the end of regulation to tie the game 

2014 Beat Da Bears in OT.  Freddie had that famous run where he ran over that Bears defender

you are always coming in half glass full!! Love it! 

I will say that that 1989 dolphins/Bills opener was one of the most memorable plays of my childhood. I still remember running around my house as an 11-year old kid, going nuts after Kelly scored.

• Haha (+1) 1

No Buffalo is cursed. The whole place was erected on the western door Seneca Nation burial grounds

Also, this is an interesting read: 

https://www.newyorkalmanack.com/2022/12/the-buffalo-sports-curse-120-years-of-disappointment/#:~:text=The Curse can be traced,an American League Baseball franchise.

Edited by Coldfronts

11 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

to name a few:

7) 1998: Flutie in his first game as a Bill comes in for injured Rob Johnson (also first game as a Bill) in the second half down 16-0 in San Diego. Flutie Throws 2 TDs to Reed and then drives us down to a 39yd FG to win it on the last play.  Christie shanks it. Bills lose 16-14.

adding insult to injury, it was Ryan Leafs first NFL game and damn near his only win.

Edited by Hellcamino
spelling error
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I can’t be bothered looking it up … but seems a while since they won a game in OT..

Looked it up yesterday McD is 1-4 in OT games, Allen is 0-4 in OT games. Obviously you can take off 13 seconds game vs KC as the BS that it was but the Houston playoff game, the TB loss to Brady, the Minni debacle last year and this years turd vs Jets are not a good trend.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, QB Bills said:

From my years of watching this team, I'd bet you could come up with a similar list for any given week in the season. Lots of teams lose games. Nobody loses them quite like the Bills.

I said the same thing

we sure know how to lose good - if that is such a thing

14 hours ago, msw2112 said:

The Bills have also WON their share of last second games.  The most recent I can think of was the Thanksgiving game against Detroit last year.

This is true, they do win some close games.  For whatever reason they don't seem to be the wild, whacky back and forth games and crazy scenarios that the entire country gets riveted by and is the talk of the NFL the next day.  

I mean this latest example.  What other team would get the benefit of a Hall of Fame QB rupturing his Achilles 4 plays in, and then they go on to lose a memorable heart breaker to a backup QB who was the joke of the league?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, zow2 said:

This is true, they do win some close games.  For whatever reason they don't seem to be the wild, whacky back and forth games and crazy scenarios that the entire country gets riveted by and is the talk of the NFL the next day.  

I mean this latest example.  What other team would get the benefit of a Hall of Fame QB rupturing his Achilles 4 plays in, and then they go on to lose a memorable heart breaker to a backup QB who was the joke of the league?

This is very true. I can instantly think of 13 seconds, Jets punt return, Minnesota fumble debacle, and hail Murray. Those are freak occurrences, and brutal losses, all under the same regime. I’ve been a huge McD fan, so I don’t like being critical, but these types of losses in such quantities aren’t acceptable. 

• Like (+1) 1

CBS Sports had a great read on how snake bitten the Jets are as a franchise with QBs.  

I forgot that the Jets had great expectations for a 1999 campaign, after reaching the championship game in 1998.

Much like 2023, it imploded in the first game when Vinny Testaverde, who went to the Pro Bowl in 1998, tore his Achilles in the second quarter against the Patriots.

The Jets would finish 8-8, trotting out several quarterbacks through the season.

Also in the 1999 campaign, the Bills lost their opener to the Colts, getting their doors blown off 31-14.  Flutie had a terrible game, going 22-42 for 300 yards, with 2 picks, and five sacks.

7 hours ago, Hellcamino said:

7) 1998: Flutie in his first game as a Bill comes in for injured Rob Johnson (also first game as a Bill) in the second half down 16-0 in San Diego. Flutie Throws 2 TDs to Reed and then drives us down to a 39yd FG to win it on the last play.  Christie shanks it. Bills lose 16-14.

adding insult to injury, it was Ryan Leafs first NFL game and damn near his only win.

and if I recall correctly Leaf's stat line was almost identical to Peyton Manning's in both of their first games played yet think the Colts lost. 

34 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

This is very true. I can instantly think of 13 seconds, Jets punt return, Minnesota fumble debacle, and hail Murray. Those are freak occurrences, and brutal losses, all under the same regime. I’ve been a huge McD fan, so I don’t like being critical, but these types of losses in such quantities aren’t acceptable. 

To me the game changing play was Wilson's finger tip bouncing the ball back in his hands for the TD. Just a crazy catch as 8 out of 10 times I doubt he can do that again. 

Edited by The Jokeman

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.