Josh has lost confidence… reasons why.

Toledo Bill

A couple of years ago Josh would confidently stand in the picket and throw. Yes, he would still break out and run when needed but I remember sometimes thinking… wow, he had great protection.

I can only guess what has led to a now skittish, frustrated quarterback.

1. of course the offensive line seems to have regressed terribly.

2. Have defenses basically figured Josh (and our play calling out)?

3. Poor coaching

I am interested in opinions. Hopefully this is fixable.

The line is better than last year.  They held up OK against a great D line last night overall.  Dorsey made some head scratching calls, but Josh had guys open and didn’t take the easy throw.  And I don’t think defenses have figured things out.

Last night Josh just sucked.  Too much hero ball.  He needs to take what’s there, and last night he didn’t.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Toledo Bill said:

A couple of years ago Josh would confidently stand in the picket and throw. Yes, he would still break out and run when needed but I remember sometimes thinking… wow, he had great protection.

I can only guess what has led to a now skittish, frustrated quarterback.

1. of course the offensive line seems to have regressed terribly.

2. Have defenses basically figured Josh (and our play calling out)?

3. Poor coaching

I am interested in opinions. Hopefully this is fixable.

1. The offensive line was fine last night

2. Josh maybe. Playcalling, maybe not. I have concerns about Dorsey and Josh being emotionally beneficial towards one another, but on each of the interceptions he had plays available he did not take. Or the series before half time, he under throwed to Cook - nothing to do with playcalling

3. Maybe unsuitable rather than poor

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills should have a pre-recorded post game interview for when Josh plays bad. It's always the same thing...

"I need to play smart and learn to limit my mistakes and take what the defense gives me and be smart with my body and not take those hits. The best ability is availability!"

Derp. Thanks Josh.

How about the media does their job and we actually ask the TOUGH QUESTIONS?:

So how are you going to actually FIX these things? Are you going to study this film and make adjustments?

"I don't watch a lot of tape, the teams play us different and I want to be able to react."

That doesn't sound like a good idea Josh. Surely you will be taking care of your body so you are available for your team.

"I'm not a big workout guy. I like to give my body time to recover and that's what works best for me."

Uhhhhh Josh, this doesn't sound good. I hope you will be eating well and getting some good sleep.

"My favorite wings are Bar Bill. I'm a big fastfood guy, love Chick-fil-A. I'm a whisky guy." (You were hammered last night - Kyle Allen) "I can neither confirm nor deny."

Josh, it sounds like you are doing absolutely nothing right and just relying on your athleticism to run around and make wild plays and you throw the ball up into danger and take big hits. I don't think you are taking this seriously.

"Ok...."

josh-allen-ok.gif

Edited by KDIGGZ
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, oldmanfan said:

The line is better than last year.  They held up OK against a great D line last night overall.  Dorsey made some head scratching calls, but Josh had guys open and didn’t take the easy throw.  And I don’t think defenses have figured things out.

Last night Josh just sucked.  Too much hero ball.  He needs to take what’s there, and last night he didn’t.

This happens way too much with Josh and he seems to be regressing with it. 

• Agree 5

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Spencer Brown constantly getting abused pushed right into Allen space threw out the game. Brown needs to be benched I would play Bates at RT he’s better then Brown. 

• Like (+1) 5

“Hero ball” and “arm arrogance” are more weird excuses. As if Allen can’t help but put the team on his shoulders.

He makes terrible, panicked decisions because he doesn’t trust his OL and can’t read the field. That’s not hero ball. It’s just poor QB play.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Just now, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Spencer Brown constantly getting abused pushed right into Allen space threw out the game. Brown needs to be benched I would play Bates at RT he’s better then Brown. 

Not what I saw.  And when you are playing a great D line get the ball out quick to slow them down.  Josh did in the first half and quit doing it in the second half.

• Like (+1) 2

I think self-discipline is the problem, not confidence. He's addicted to the dopamine rush of the deep ball, and teams that can get pressure with four can just wait for him to implode, like a child who really really really wants that candy just out of reach.

Maybe that's what Diggs is seeing. A man-child quarterback. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Not what I saw.  And when you are playing a great D line get the ball out quick to slow them down.  Josh did in the first half and quit doing it in the second half.

U didn’t see Spencer getting abused most of the game he’s a major problem. He’s getting pushed right into the feet Josh . 

Also u can’t just play that style of quick throws the entire game the Jets made adjustments and we didn’t plain and simple we also don’t have a good running game to turn to which makes defending us much easier. 

• Like (+1) 1

We had (by my count) 3 drives which ended with great calls for underneath stuff that just fell short.  Harris on the late RB screen, cook sweeping outside just getting solo tackled before the first, and another underneath throw I think to a TE that just came up short 

It seems like that was all it took for Josh to decide he has to make Madden highlight real plays and do it all himself.

The first int was arrogant foolishness, he had a first and more but he still threw the ball, he was by himself.

The second he had pressure in his mush, but it was still foolish as all get out, bad choice.

The third was Davis running a bad route, but he had time to throw and diggs underneath for a year certain first down.

The fumble that came immediately after the third pick was shocking.  Total sugar high Josh taking his eye off the ball presnap and then running like a confused 8 year old into a mess.

This was his worst game as a pro, he's the sole reason we lost.  

Of he just took the underneath stuff and ran when he saw a sea of green we are up 13-17 in the first half and walk away easy double digit winners.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, finn said:

I think self-discipline is the problem, not confidence. He's addicted to the dopamine rush of the deep ball, and teams that can get pressure with four can just wait for him to implode, like a child who really really really wants that candy just out of reach.

Maybe that's what Diggs is seeing. A man-child quarterback. 

17 needs to get his act together.  Diggs saw it last year, and he was right. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

The problem is, he has too much confidence in himself and that is his major downfall. He has all the confidence in the world, and that is a problem. You can't fix everything with your right arm. 

I think it's a mix of that and he has little confidence in the rest of the offense, Diggs excluded. He doesn't trust the O Line to hold. He doesn't trust Davis to run the right route (him and Diggs were in the same place on a play yesterday - again - for some unknown reason), he doesn't trust Knox to hold on to the ball, he doesn't trust the run game. Part of me wonders if he subconsciously doesn't trust Dorsey.

So he fires long, particularly at Diggs, and hopes they can conjure up magic to keep the offense ticking over.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

1. The offensive line was fine last night

2. Josh maybe. Playcalling, maybe not. I have concerns about Dorsey and Josh being emotionally beneficial towards one another, but on each of the interceptions he had plays available he did not take. Or the series before half time, he under throwed to Cook - nothing to do with playcalling

3. Maybe unsuitable rather than poor

It was both Dorsey and no plays from under center. Psssst Dorsey teams have figured out Josh's every move from the shotgun. And sometimes it's ok to throw for a first down to the open TE. 

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I may be wrong but I don't remember hearing much about Josh heading back to Carson Palmer the last 2 off-seasons to fine tune himself and get some work on his flaws like he did early in his career 

Interesting observation.  It looks more like he's attending the Carson Wentz school of game management and QB play.  Last night looked eerily similar to Carson Wentz of 2021, except there was no Hurts drafted in the 2nd round to mess with this psyche.  I want to criticize a number of regular suspects, but JA was so bad.  Let's hope his ego behind the scenes isn't a hindrance to where this team can go.  Josh is putting players/coaches jobs on the line with his play.  As much I question the OC, or McClappy, JA looks so off script it's hard to accurately assess who's responsible for what.  Commercials, Hollywood girlfriend, questions about his dedication/commitment...should have all of us worried.  He's sheltered in western New York.  If JA was in a major market, he would have had to answer some tough questions through last year.  

My biggest fear of 13 seconds being the peak of this team is looking more likely.  

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Agreed on the OL. This is one of the absolute best DL's in the NFL and other than a few plays, if Josh just hits his back foot and hits and open short guy, the OL did just fine

26 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

U didn’t see Spencer getting abused most of the game he’s a major problem. He’s getting pushed right into the feet Josh . 

Also u can’t just play that style of quick throws the entire game the Jets made adjustments and we didn’t plain and simple we also don’t have a good running game to turn to which makes defending us much easier. 

On a couple plays, not all night.  Just stop.

45 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I think it's a mix of that and he has little confidence in the rest of the offense, Diggs excluded. He doesn't trust the O Line to hold. He doesn't trust Davis to run the right route (him and Diggs were in the same place on a play yesterday - again - for some unknown reason), he doesn't trust Knox to hold on to the ball, he doesn't trust the run game. Part of me wonders if he subconsciously doesn't trust Dorsey.

So he fires long, particularly at Diggs, and hopes they can conjure up magic to keep the offense ticking over.

He pined for Dorsey to get the OC job. Maybe he wanted him because he seems to think he has more power over Dorsey. Daboll pretty much kept Josh under control. Allen's best year was under BD. But to call a draw play on 2nd and 15 in OT, that's just inexcusable. 

Just now, Bubba Gump said:

He pined for Dorsey to get the OC job. Maybe he wanted him because he seems to think he has more power over Dorsey. Daboll pretty much kept Josh under control. Allen's best year was under BD. But to call a draw play on 2nd and 15 in OT, that's just inexcusable. 

True, he definitely trusted Dorsey before. Maybe he still does. I do think the protect yourself/don't run mantra has screwed him over somewhat. Second half yesterday, in particular, he seemed to continually make the wrong decision.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I may be wrong but I don't remember hearing much about Josh heading back to Carson Palmer the last 2 off-seasons to fine tune himself and get some work on his flaws like he did early in his career 

I’ve thought about the same thing. Would also lend more weight to the rumblings that he’s not putting in the work because “he’s arrived” and buying his own hype too much.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

The worst part is at the beginning of the game he was taking what was there and doing a lot of check downs. For some reason in the second half he abandoned that and went to hero ball. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm speculating here, but I think he's done a lot of ads and appearances and celebrity lifestyle stuff this offseason, and not enough preparation.

he's not look as sculpted as he should, and he's clearly not sharp at all.  he needs to be football obsessed and be fresh and prepped for everything.

We know he's not a gym rat, but we can tell he's also not a film rat either based on him throwing the same type of garbage int to the same safety 3 times in a game.

he doesn't have confidence in the guys around him or the scheme, but his answer to it is to be a spaz and fling the ball like a child.  he's got to get deep into the nitty gritty to be the best he can.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.