2023 NFL Season - Week #1 - Bills at Jets - Post game game thread

BuffaloBill

1 minute ago, BillsFan692 said:

Thats bull$#@+ it is 100% coaching josh didnt go from all-world to trash bin for no reason the same way tua didnt go from trash bin to all world for no reason.

Coaching is EVERYTHING

So what happened at half time of the Packers game last year? Because that's where the regression started. I agree, the coaches should take some responsibility but not all. Josh says the right things but doesn't execute them on the field of play.

Others have mentioned I'm not so sure the game would have been harder if Rodgers played.  After 3 plays with the pressure he looked shook and pissed - the way the D line was getting after it seemed like it could have been a very long night for him.  Still should have beat Wilson, but have to give him credit for escaping the rush multiple times and pulling a few plays out of his a$$.  They game planned for weeks for Rodgers then when he went down they faced a completely different QB and Jets went run-heavy with tons of screens and dump offs, which played to the Jets strength against our D.  Doubt they would have committed so much to the run and dump off with Rodgers in there, even if things didn't go well initially - esp with Rodgers probably telling Hackett what they would run.

The offense on the other hand...

This is also a different opinion but I hate that special teams - specifically kick coverage - is even a factor in a game.  You could completely eliminate getting beat on ST coverage by 1) kicking kickoffs out of the EZ every frigging time 2) kicking punts to the sideline or even OOBs.  Its like coaches want to always emphasize the importance of special teams but they make it important by not doing things they can control to minimize it.

Edited by stevewin

Just now, UKBillFan said:

So what happened at half time of the Packers game last year? Because that's where the regression started. I agree, the coaches should take some responsibility but not all. Josh says the right things but doesn't execute them on the field of play.

I guess you are suggesting that josh just became a completely different person / player and it has nothing to do with Dorsey/McFlop

1 minute ago, BillsFan692 said:

I guess you are suggesting that josh just became a completely different person / player and it has nothing to do with Dorsey/McFlop

Not nothing to do with them, but he needs to take personal responsibility too - and show it in action rather than just via words.

7 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

dude we cant blame the refs anymore, the jets may have the worst qb in the league and mcdermott and dorsey are just horrendous together

Missed the jist of my post. I thought the refs were decent most of the night (shockingly) but you cannot have a classic Bills loss like last night without them rearing their ugly heads which they did in the last 2mins and OT.

Truthfully I don't know what the problem is but Josh and this team have regressed. I've long been one that didn't think we had a great defense a good one but not as great as reported by many fans and media. I thought with some tweaks in our offensive line we could have a great offense. What's happened to the offense is hard to watch. Coaching? Josh ? My guess is both. Coaches didn't have five turnovers....... Josh did. Bottom line is the team has regressed and coaching needs to be held to blame ultimately unless we're to believe all these players hit a wall. Above coaching I've been a long critic of our GM. Really what's he really done that's so great. We're saddled by the cap and still have same holes we've had before. Frankly he drafted Josh Allen. That's it. 

7 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I'm buying that there are problems on this team.

All the Sal Capaccio happy talk in the world isn't going to outweigh my lying eyes. 

On offense.  Defense was fine minus some runs but that O , especially 17 was horrible. 

On one hand you hope it was just a great defense and they always give us problems,  on the other hand Josh looked lost. It's like he can't play on a leash

Strange night with Rodgers going down. Both teams probably feel like crap

7 hours ago, Billznut said:

Pegula just gave them all extensions. The only way changes will ever be made is if the Bills go 7-10 or worse this season AND next season. It will take TWO seasons of losing records before Pegula will even consider dismissing McD and/or Beane. I’d bet my life on that. 

I think you are 100% right unfortunately.

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

They did it vs Rodgers on 3 of his 4 plays. 

the jets OL is questionable for sure, but I still think our pass rush is going to be extra fierce once we get von back 

Kingcaid will change that once Dorsey/Josh start to trust him

Dorsey has no clue on how to use him, tgat was very evident last night 

Not sure if this has been discussed in here….went to bed right after the game ended and haven’t read through the 29 pages….but the fact that the refs missed that leg whip/trip on the final play of the game is just mind boggling. I’m not making an excuse for the Bills, as they surely would have lost by a FG.

How on earth do they miss that foul, right there, in the open field, where at least 3-4 officials had to see that? Are refs really that incompetent? Makes me wonder (again) if games are “fixed.”

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’m not patting myself on the back here but it’s nice to see people this morning finally saying McDermott, Dorsey, and Beane need to go after I got drilled for saying it all day yesterday. I get it. You love the bills and don’t want to say negative things about them but you gotta be realistic. They’ve run their course and I kept saying the last few days that we need an injection of life. It’s too late now though. It should’ve happened after the 13 seconds debacle. Should’ve DEFINITELY happened after the Bengals game last year. Not to mention the Vikings game too. Time and time again this team comes out uninspired and not ready to play. That’s on McDermott. But like I said it’s too late. They didn’t get fired THEY GOT F’ING EXTENSIONS! We wasted Josh’s prime. They had years to build an o line and get weapons. They did neither. They need a full reboot but it’s not going to happen and we as fans will suffer as always. 

Not reading all 29 pages of this thread but people I’m sure are pissed josh didn’t take the easy stuff. So am I. The problem is taking the easy stuff isn’t great with this team because we have no weapons with any speed so as soon as they catch it they fall down or get tackled. How the hell do we not have any players, NOT 1, that can seem to get YAC or break a tackle?! Yeah I’m sure it’s fun dumping it off to Knox who will get tackled immediately or Cook who will fold like a lawn chair when wind hits him. Josh doesn’t excel in that quick pass scheme anyways and you compound those issues with a bad o line and no YAC guys at all that can make life easy on him. It’s a failure on all fronts. And I said a few weeks ago this whole obsession with 12 personnel sounds nice but “you are what the defense defends you as”. Meaning we can play 2 TEs but who cares when teams still match with nickel because our o line sucks and we can’t run the ball? It’s a wasted down and they can play light boxes against it and WE STILL CANT RUN IT. 

They should’ve fired them all but we are at least 2 years behind schedule for that now. It’s too late. 

Edited by BeavercreekBillsFan
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

I’m not patting myself on the back here but it’s nice to see people this morning finally saying McDermott, Dorsey, and Beane need to go after I got drilled for saying it all day yesterday. I get it. You love the bills and don’t want to say negative things about them but you gotta be realistic. They’ve run their course and I kept saying the last few days that we need an injection of life. It’s too late now though. It should’ve happened after the 13 seconds debacle. Should’ve DEFINITELY happened after the Bengals game last year. Not to mention the Vikings game too. Time and time again this team comes out uninspired and not ready to play. That’s on McDermott. But like I said it’s too late. They didn’t get fired THEY GOT F’ING EXTENSIONS! We wasted Josh’s prime. They had years to build an o line and get weapons. They did neither. They need a full reboot but it’s not going to happen and we as fans will suffer as always. 

Not reading all 29 pages of this thread but people I’m sure are pissed josh didn’t take the easy stuff. So am I. The problem is taking the easy stuff isn’t great with this team because we have no weapons with any speed so as soon as they catch it they fall down or get tackled. How the hell do we not have any players, NOT 1, that can seem to get YAC or break a tackle?! Yeah I’m sure it’s fun dumping it off to Knox who will get tackled immediately or Cook who will fold like a lawn chair when wind hits him. Josh doesn’t excel in that quick pass scheme anyways and you compound those issues with a bad o line and no YAC guys at all that can make life easy on him. It’s a failure on all fronts. And I said a few weeks ago this whole obsession with 12 personnel sounds nice but “you are what the defense defends you as”. Meaning we can play 2 TEs but who cares when teams still match with nickel because our o line sucks and we can’t run the ball? It’s a wasted down and they can play light boxes against it and WE STILL CANT RUN IT. 

They should’ve fired them all but we are at least 2 years behind schedule for that now. It’s too late. 

I agree with 99% of this. IMO, both Diggs and Davis are pretty good with YAC, and the rookie TE showed some of that too last night.

58 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

I guess.”McFlop” doesn’t get any credit for when Josh was playing lights out. Only when he sucks,

Makes sense.

Edited by Beast

The offence has not played well against a good team sine the KC game last season.  Allen made some stupid throws but are receivers outside of Diggs getting separation ,  the one interception on the sideline was partially because Davis failed to get separation and just turned out and DB just jumped in front of him.  He needs to drive in and then out.  Not sure why we go draft a TE in the first round right after giving Knox huge extension,  the Bills needed a receiver and these street guys that Beane signs is not cutting it.

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

Didnt his performance downturn start when his personal life started to unravel (we’ve all heard the rumors)?

Maybe JA needs to grow up. He’s definitely not the same guy and appears to have taken a step back in the maturity department.  Not sure what’s going on.  Maybe a combo of a bunch of things but there no doubt there’s been major regression.  

Edited by PayDaBill$

2 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

A couple of thoughts, the morning after. I'm seeing a lot of what I saw last year from the offense.

- Josh playing hero ball and someone on that coaching staff needs to rein hiim in. With Rodgers out, the goal should have been at that point to not make any major mistakes. Why was he even playing hero ball?

- Dorsey. More weapons on offense, arguablely, and he still can't get that offense rolling. This offense needs to run through Diggs, Cook and Kincaid. His play calling is very questionable and rather frustrating. Another awful game plan.

I think both things can be problems at the same time. Week 1 done, trying not to make too many overreactions. We go again.

This right here👆

34 minutes ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

After that no confidence whatsoever in the Coaching staff.  Beane built what McDermott has no business coaching and is destroying it.  I won’t even pay attention until McDermott is gone completely.  

cool, see you later

24 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Not sure how anyone can get excited about the defense when Zach Wilson was the QB.  The defense held the mighty Wilson to 16 points…SUPER BOWL!!!

Well, in fairness, also completely crushed the Jets' season hopes a minute into the game, so there's that

4 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

cool, see you later

Well, in fairness, also completely crushed the Jets' season hopes a minute into the game, so there's that

You crushed all of us yesterday saying we would eat crow because we dare picked the jets to win and said there were big issues with the team and needed a regime change. Maybe we were right? 

37 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Did anyone else kinda' want to lose the OT coin toss and/or kick off?  I just didn't think the Jets would drive the length for a game winning TD.  Of course you knew it would be hard to drive the ball against NY.

I did 💯 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

You crushed all of us yesterday saying we would eat crow because we dare picked the jets to win and said there were big issues with the team and needed a regime change. Maybe we were right? 

Blind squirrels and nuts

2 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Blind squirrels and nuts

Cool, keep the blinders on. Me personally I’d like to get Josh a good coach that doesn’t blow games and gets his team ready to play. Personally I’d like to get a GM that can get our QB weapons. I’d also like an O coordinator that doesn’t call draws on 2nd and 15. To each their own I guess. Enjoy the mediocrity. 

16 minutes ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

Cool, keep the blinders on. Me personally I’d like to get Josh a good coach that doesn’t blow games and gets his team ready to play. Personally I’d like to get a GM that can get our QB weapons. I’d also like an O coordinator that doesn’t call draws on 2nd and 15. To each their own I guess. Enjoy the mediocrity. 

Is it too much to ask Josh not to turn the ball over 4 times and not to throw downfield into double coverage?  His TD/INT ratio since midseason last year is awful.  

Who gets credit when Allen plays well?  Certainly not the coaching staff right?

Who deserves blame when Allen plays poorly?  Certainly the coaching staff right?

If you're blaming anyone more than Allen last night, you're pointing your finger at the wrong person.  

It simply was Allen.  

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Could not watch last night but, in keeping with the board zeitgeist, I'll add a meta-complaint:

Why does every swinging D feel compelled to start their own thread? Some are well-established posters, so I get that, but otherwise...holy crap, it looks like Custer was here.

Ah, it's probably just me. Now, get off my damn lawn.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Is it too much to ask Josh not to turn the ball over 4 times and not to throw downfield into double coverage?  His TD/INT ratio since midseason last year is awful.  

Who gets credit when Allen plays well?  Certainly not the coaching staff right?

Who deserves blame when Allen plays poorly?  Certainly the coaching staff right?

If you're blaming anyone more than Allen last night, you're pointing your finger at the wrong person.  

It simply was Allen.  

I agree.  Said it in the moment, up 13-3 all the Bills had to do was ball security and take what the Jets gave them and it was likely a Win.  The flinging the ball downfield twice into coverage was completely absurd.

10 minutes ago, Ayahuasca Jet said:

y'all are lame waiting until after the game to approve my account. I had zero intention to troll and just wanted to discuss the game with people who had a different point of view. 

Now I'm out like Aaron Rodgers Achilles.

oh no…please…come back…

• Haha (+1) 2

Josh was the main reason we lost but not the only reason (some bad play calls, etc. sprinkled in).  His play in the 2nd half was atrocious.  There were some silver linings, though.  Floyd looked excellent, Kincaid caught the few balls thrown his way, Diggs had a big game, and the offensive line did reasonably well against a tough DL.  Milano's a stud.  On the negative side, besides Josh's play, Cook is NOT an every down back, nor is he an "up the middle" back especially against the Jets.  Cook had a good game except when he was tasked to run right into the teeth of the DL.  And even given how poorly Josh played and the other issues, that was a miraculous TD catch.  Props to the Jets but it's a pyrrhic win for them given the Rodgers injury.  Go Bills!  And Josh, please revert to how you played the first half of last year (and more or less, how you played the first half yesterday evening)!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.