Around the NFL Week 1

HappyDays

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

It just might with Hill and Waddle. It worked against Buffalo on a critical play. It sealed the game for Miami. 

It's not pretty but it sure is effective. 

It won't. I think they are a good team for sure. They are dangerous, but one trick ponies eventually end.

Just now, newcam2012 said:

Does that matter now? 

You full of questions today bro.  At the end of the day, who cares?  Let the games play and we will see.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Can you elaborate on why the Bills haven't gotten it done? 

I'd say because they aren't strong in the trenches and coaching. 

Missed this one.  I would have to say I agree. Coaching for the most part I think has been good but I totally blame that 13 seconds on coaching.  At the same time, I would credit coaching on things like beating the Ravens.  They did a great job containing Lamar.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Scott7975 said:

Missed this one.  I would have to say I agree. Coaching for the most part I think has been good but I totally blame that 13 seconds on coaching.  At the same time, I would credit coaching on things like beating the Ravens.  They did a great job containing Lamar.

I agree. The coaching against Lamar was excellent. I was very impressed. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Can you elaborate on why the Bills haven't gotten it done? 

I'd say because they aren't strong in the trenches and coaching. 

A. They badly mismanaged the final seconds of a playoff game that was possibly their only roadblock on the way to the Super Bowl.

B. The Chiefs are in the AFC and have the best offensive coach in the NFL. That makes it very tough to get the coveted bye week. It will limit their chances. 

As for weaknesses, I’d agree that the lines are not great. The coaching was too conservative in a big moment. I think the presence of Allen is enough to overcome the line issues in a flawed NFL . Will the coaching come through when they get another opportunity? We’ll see. 

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

This is a pretty balanced take on what’s transpired to date. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

What I saw today was a very confident QB in Tua and very dangerous weapons in Hill and Waddle. Throwing for 466 yards and 3 TD is no easy feat regardless of who you are playing, and the Chargers had a top 10 passing defense last season and a slightly below average scoring defense. It is very difficult to cover two speedy receivers in Hill and Waddle on the outside without leaving the middle of the field open - which is what doomed the Chargers. 

With a healthy Tua, the Dolphins are a very potent team. On the positive side, the Dolphins defense looked just as poor as last season, despite adding Vic Fangio, who is a known defensive mind. The defense may be their undoing.

The Patriots surprised me the most, and once again showcased how important quality coaching is. The Eagles took a quick 16-0 lead but Belichick made adjustments and the Patriots outscored the 2022 NFC Champion Eagles 20-9 over the final three quarters. I do not believe them to be a threat for the division, but I do believe they could play the role of a thorn in our side during portions of the season.

The offense didn’t look much different than last year . Very dangerous, but the chargers played them completely differently than they did last year and didn’t really pressure Tua. Leaving Hill one in one is a mistake, one that should have been fixed at half time but wasn’t. Even with all those passing yards they should have lost.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Meatloaf63 said:

The offense didn’t look much different than last year . Very dangerous, but the chargers played them completely differently than they did last year and didn’t really pressure Tua. Leaving Hill one in one is a mistake, one that should have been fixed at half time but wasn’t. Even with all those passing yards they should have lost.

Agree with this take. Although Tua certainly played well, I'm curious to see how he does under some pressure and the fact that Hill was left 1 on 1 on so many occasions is either brilliant scheming or just major failure with the Chargers defensive staff. Given that it's the Chargers, I'm guessing it's the later. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Meatloaf63 said:

Right ? I thought the Chargers lifted the “ blueprint” for defeating Tua the last time they played. They threw it out the window today and paid the price. LAC are a  poorly coached team in general and the HC shouldn’t feel to comfortable right now. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Vertig0 said:

Agree with this take. Although Tua certainly played well, I'm curious to see how he does under some pressure and the fact that Hill was left 1 on 1 on so many occasions is either brilliant scheming or just major failure with the Chargers defensive staff. Given that it's the Chargers, I'm guessing it's the later. 

Given that he had 1700+ yards last year I'm guessing it's the former lol

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

Gotta admit,  Miami looked really solid today on the road against a decent team. The only thing holding them back i think is injuries.  If they can keep their main guys healthy they will be right there with the AFC’s best 

Disagree.  Their D looked very bad particularly against the run.  I thought Fagio was going to deliver an upgrade? 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/8/2023 at 10:44 PM, RobbRiddick said:

Since I went through every game before the season to determine my full season predictions I thought I'd post them each week to see how many I manage to get right.

Week 1:

Lions 

Browns

Ravens

Vikings

Falcons

Commanders

Colts

49ers

Saints

Broncos

Eagles (though I was really tempted by the Pats for some reason!)

Rams

Chargers

Packers

Cowboys

Jets

Well so far in week 1 I'm 11 of 15. Not bad. Hope the Jets is one where I'm completely wrong

7 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

A. They badly mismanaged the final seconds of a playoff game that was possibly their only roadblock on the way to the Super Bowl.

B. The Chiefs are in the AFC and have the best offensive coach in the NFL. That makes it very tough to get the coveted bye week. It will limit their chances. 

As for weaknesses, I’d agree that the lines are not great. The coaching was too conservative in a big moment. I think the presence of Allen is enough to overcome the line issues in a flawed NFL . Will the coaching come through when they get another opportunity? We’ll see. 

Even the presence of Allen didn't help as as we never got the ball back.  Go Bills !

7 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

You think Miami fans are afraid of Buffalo with a healthy Tua? 

They should be.

The last time the Bills played tua, they nearly killed him AND the Bills should have won, given they walked up and down the field against them 

Also, silence dolfan 

Edited by Pine Barrens Mafia
  • Like (+1) 2

How about Jordan Love looking better than ARod did all last year without Watson, Cobb and Lazzard. 

i really think ARod is cooked

14 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

They had a good game for sure-the Giants were clearly unprepared 

i just think they got dominated and had no answer for the d. Made Barkley irrelevant , forced em to throw and just smothered jones all night 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.