We need one more superstar

Billzebub

10 hours ago, 0017 said:

KINGcaid! For sure! I just came up with that name by the way 😊

Before we crown him King i want to see him in a real game against a really good D which we will on Monday .

I hope he is what they drafted him to be but stranger things have happened .

Defense

Once Von returns, he will have a serious impact not just directly, but when they bump Groot to the inside, and Floyd on the outside, the hits and pressures will be exponential.

At mid level Milano will deliver another 1st team all pro performance.

Back end, Tre will be back to the old Tre as a 1st team all pro, and the wonder twins Dr. Poyer and Mr. Hyde will be back.  That’s why all of this nonsense about the hype train of MLB will be absolutely DEVASTATING to our defense is a bunch of bull cookies.

Dont forget we have a top 3 rated nickel CB and an excellent Big Nickel defense with Rapp substituting for Taron.  Whether it’s Elam as we’re playing man coverage this game or Benford/Dane for our traditional zone defense.

Lots to be excited about in this team.

Offense

Diggs is Diggs

Davis finally has a healthy ankle so we’ll see.

When 11 peesonnel it will be Diggs, Davis, and it depends on their defense whether it s Sherfield for his speed and hands, of Harty for his explosiveness.

Then we have DK2 and although everyone has high hopes for Kinkaid, I believe Knox will have another 9-10 TD season.

Lastly, one of the unsung stories is the vastly improved interior as Morse now has help in McGovern and Mt. O’ Cyrus to push the defense ti create hole for Harris and Cook.

Guys get excited!  Football is back and we’re going to kick ars on 9/11. It will be a hard fought fight that night, but we will be victorious. 

Edited by machine gun kelly

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

The point he’s making is that (typically) teams have 3 superstars. 

We’re not talking about commercial endorsements… it’s something you just feel.  

Nobody feels like we have any superstars outside of Allen and Diggs.  …because we don’t coming into the season. 

Tre could be if he’s 100% healthy.  

Von could be if he’s 100% healthy.

Rousseau could be if he makes the jump. 

Kincaid could be if he breaks the rookie expectation rule for Tight Ends. 

Cook could become a Kamara type but we have to see it. 

Milano, Hyde, Poyer, Oliver, Floyd, Knox etc., are all good players.   They aren’t superstars.  

Milano is close, but positionally just doesn’t affect games in a way that moves the needle in the way a superstar does .. I don’t think any LB does… not Roquan Smith, not Fred Warner, not Matt Milano.   When you think 49ers, you think Deebo, Kittle, McCaffrey, Bosa etc. 

I won’t to hold out hope on Oliver, but at some point you are what you are. 

The three superstar thing is a NBA theory.

I dont think it holds water for NFL. 

If you have a superstar G, safety, and DT what do you really have? Not much. Kind of like the Steelers over the last few years.

And I guess I just disagree on the number of star players the Bills have. 

I guess the one thing I agree is White and Miller are stars that have huge question marks coming off surgery.

We have many possible emerging stars in Knox, Kincaid, and maybe Davis. 

I'm not sold on Cook as much as others here but I'm excited to see what he can do. I've always preferred a Thurman Thomas or Marshall Faulk type RB as opposed to a Henry or Chubb bruiser. But for Cook to be a star, Dorsey needs to design an offense to get him the ball.

11 hours ago, Billzebub said:

I’m trying to look objectively at our team.  I’m older so I was around for the early 90’s superbowl teams.  We had Andre, Jim, Thurman and Bruce.  Lots of contributors…. Lofton, Talley, Biscuit, Etc.

This team is deep but lacking in high end talent.  Really, we have Josh and Diggs…. Generational talents, after that there is no one on the roster that terrifies anyone.

We need (like we had back then) one or two more superstars .  You want a Super Bowl?  We need a game wrecker, someone like Diggs or Allen that, game plan or not, no one can do a damn thing about it.

My belief is that if any one of the following players contribute in a dominant, game altering way, we will win a Superbowl.

1) Rousseau 

2)Oliver

3) Cook

4) Kincaid 

Will one of them step it up? If so who?

If not, is there anyone else?

Can Allen and Diggs do it alone?

The great 90s team was built before free agency, and then held together during the early stages of FA (remember Plan B?), by the genius of Bill Polian.  Polian couldn't do it today.  He couldn't have kept Kelly, Thomas, Reed, Smith, Bennett, Hull and Talley together year after year, let alone the dozen or so A-listers who are overlooked now by the roster of truly great players.  The only way to get a really good roster together is to do what Beane did in his early days, bite the bullet and clear out the salary cap deadwood, and then rebuild using a detailed knowledge of the quality of unvalued veterans (Poyer, Hyde).  The only way to KEEP the good roster strong is to draft really well, and in that Beane has not held up his end.  The Bills should already have the other superstars on the roster that the OP wants them to have.  Instead we have Boogie Basham's empty locker, Epensesa on the way out, Elam buried on the depth chart, Oliver over-rated by a mile, Edmunds playing elsewhere so we could afford to keep Oliver, Wyatt Teller gone, two of our draft picks this year gone, the backup QBs we drafted gone, etc etc etc.  

Super star? Well I’m your man, but I ain’t cheap..,  Beane won’t want to afford me though…, 

I've felt for some time this iteration of the Bills needs their 'Bruce Smith'.

Von Miller seemed to play that role to a certain degree last year, but what is really lacking is a disruptive force up front in their prime. (i.e. Chris Jones and why he's so important to the Chiefs and their recent SB wins.)

I happen to think that Greg Rousseau is going to be a star, and a perennial top 10 edge rusher, regularly posting double digit sacks.

He was on his way to a breakout season last year before the high ankle sprain.

Still just 23 years old. This will only be his fifth year of playing defensive end EVER! One year in high school, one year in college, two in the pros. He's been learning the position and filling out his frame. 

It's Greg Rousseau breakout season.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Good thing that's what Kincaid is gonna be:wub:

Also trading for Kupp would give us two more superstars and create a dynasty!

Kupp has a hamstring issue, after missing the second half of last year w a bad ankle injury that required surgery.  He will miss some time this year.  And will likely gradually decline because he is 30 and playing on some rough turf in LA.  He will be good but not dominant anymore.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

The three superstar thing is a NBA theory.

I dont think it holds water for NFL. 

If you have a superstar G, safety, and DT what do you really have? Not much. Kind of like the Steelers over the last few years.

And I guess I just disagree on the number of star players the Bills have. 

I guess the one thing I agree is White and Miller are stars that have huge question marks coming off surgery.

We have many possible emerging stars in Knox, Kincaid, and maybe Davis. 

I'm not sold on Cook as much as others here but I'm excited to see what he can do. I've always preferred a Thurman Thomas or Marshall Faulk type RB as opposed to a Henry or Chubb bruiser. But for Cook to be a star, Dorsey needs to design an offense to get him the ball.

The Bills may not have a bunch of A list Superstars on offense after Allen and Diggs.  But they have a lot of talent nonetheless.  Sherfield and Harty are both better then what we have had at the back of the WR depth chart.  And Shakir should not be written off yet.  We have three TE's that can play.  Morris is an NFL player.  And Gabe Davis can still be a good to very good NFL WR.  Our RB's all can play too.  If our O line is above average, we should dominate most weeks on offense.  As for our defense, in today's NFL there are not many defensive stars like in yesteryear.  It is an offensive game, and the rule changes have taken the physical intimidation and domination out of most defenses, and defensive players.  So in today's game you are just not going to have the number of stud defenders that the Bills had in decades past.  There are just not that many out there.  But our secondary is as solid as any in the league if our guys stay healthy.  And our D line looked much improved overall in the preseason.

If we get solid O line play, and good coaching on defense with whatever scheme we run, we should be strongly in the mix for the Super Bowl this year.

3 hours ago, QB Bills said:

Genuinely curious about this comment. You think Edmunds shielded Milano and not the other way around?!?

Not shielded, I think those two played off each other very very well with different strengths and weaknesses and were a critical mix that isn’t there now. The middle of the defense got a lot smaller or less rangier. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

2 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Kupp has a hamstring issue, after missing the second half of last year w a bad ankle injury that required surgery.  He will miss some time this year.  And will likely gradually decline because he is 30 and playing on some rough turf in LA.  He will be good but not dominant anymore.

Time to buy cheap then and get him healthy, he will be the GOAT.

I think we were one McD/Frasier 13 seconds blunder away from winning it all two years ago with basically the same squad.

You're forgetting Milano/Poyer/Hyde who are all elite players at their positions, and maybe Tre too.  These guys are All Pro level when 100%

WR's don't win championships, it's QB's and to a lesser extent coaching/gameplanning.

22 hours ago, 0017 said:

KINGcaid! For sure! I just came up with that name by the way 😊

Not bad. I was hoping that they could just go with a follow up of. Josh and his helping Cade from the never give up  wristbands. From super Cade to  (mafia - family)  KinCade.... and as Knox had to learn to never give up on s play when Josh is the qb...

Edited by AuntieEm

Last year most Bills fans and media at large were fawning over our team.  We're better this year and now we need some "superstar" to emerge?  Nah, I'm not buying it. 

We need the guys we brought in to do their jobs and we'll be very good.  And we brought in some guys, that if they do well, we'll be one massive problem for the opponent. 

10 hours ago, Logic said:

I happen to think that Greg Rousseau is going to be a star, and a perennial top 10 edge rusher, regularly posting double digit sacks.

He was on his way to a breakout season last year before the high ankle sprain.

Still just 23 years old. This will only be his fifth year of playing defensive end EVER! One year in high school, one year in college, two in the pros. He's been learning the position and filling out his frame. 

It's Greg Rousseau breakout season.

I hope your right. He went from 4 to 8 sacks in only 13 games. I think he projects to around 12 sacks this year. Leonard Floyd will bring pressure back towards Groot's side.  And when Von comes back healthy we'll have a 3 headed monster. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1

I get the hesitancy but Josh Allen without an elbow injury. It's going to be different.   The additions of Harty, Sherfield, Kincaid, McGovern and Torrence will be significant.  I haven't liked our RB situation this much in quite some time.   

Our secondary is as solid as its been in years.  Mostly due to health and depth.  Additions of Ford and Floyd are something to really like.

Our schedule appears extremely tough.  There's an unknown at MLB.  I'm not sold on Dorsey.  McDermott has been out coached in games.  

This roster is ready to go and obviously when Von returns we'll be much better.   I think taping our logo on those tackling dummies on Hard Knocks was a big mistake.  McDermott will use that and I think we come at the Jets with physicality most won't expect.  I don't think we blow them out but do believe we win with the victory never in question. 

NEWS FLASH!  Former Bills WR Duke Williams has been placed on a 6 game IR list by the Hamilton Tiger Cats.  However, Williams apparently issued a cryptic statement implying that he was done with the Tabbies.  Now all Beane needs to do is rent a limo, and go sign deals with Chad Kelly and Williams, and he'll be back in time for dinner tomorrow.

https://3downnation.com/2023/09/07/ticats-officially-place-receiver-duke-williams-on-six-game-injured-list/

EDIT:  Sky Diver says "WHAT ABOUT ROBERT FOSTER?!?"  😡🤬

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

• 3 months later...
On 9/6/2023 at 8:50 PM, Da webster guy said:

I think we were one McD/Frasier 13 seconds blunder away from winning it all two years ago with basically the same squad.

You're forgetting Milano/Poyer/Hyde who are all elite players at their positions, and maybe Tre too.  These guys are All Pro level when 100%

WR's don't win championships, it's QB's and to a lesser extent coaching/gameplanning.

Hyde was out and maybe coming back for the afc championship that 13 seconds year 

tre was out also 

I really think this years team is better…Dline is better, oline is arguably better, corners are much better compared to that playoff roster at least, no Milano hurts but comparing linebackers to that year depends on your personal opinion of edmunds 😁

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.