Sign Matt Corral! (Cut by Carolina)

UmbrellaMan

The Bills need a talent infusion at backup QB, and Corral is far more talented than the players currently on the roster. He was Chris Simm’s #1 QB in the draft last year, but more importantly, his dual threat ability would be a revelation for a QB learning and developing under Josh Allen. He would be an amazing scout team QB if nothing else. 

Put a claim in Buffalo! 

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

He wasn't even good in College.  I wish they would have put in a claim for Malik Cunningham.  The easiest way to win with a backup is QB is with a mobile QB.

He was VERY good in college.. what in the world are you talking about?

In what world is : 3400 Pass Yards, 20 TDs, 5 Ints, 

614 rushing yards and 11 TDs in a season in the SEC not good/ mobile? 

Mobile QB: does 1300 yards and 15 TDs in 2 years not count? 

Mallik Cunningham had 200 more yards in 2 years than Corall 

This take from you isn't surprising based on your other posts, though. 

Edited by warrior9
  • Like (+1) 6

18 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

He was VERY good in college.. what in the world are you talking about?

In what world is : 3400 Pass Yards, 20 TDs, 5 Ints, 

614 rushing yards and 11 TDs in a season in the SEC not good/ mobile? 

Mobile QB: does 1300 yards and 15 TDs in 2 years not count? 

Mallik Cunningham had 200 more yards in 2 years than Corall 

This take from you isn't surprising based on your other posts, though. 

Sorry, I actually watch a ton of college football and not just look at the stats.  Lane Kiffin can make anyone look good.  He is small and limited. 

1 hour ago, UmbrellaMan said:

The Bills need a talent infusion at backup QB, and Corral is far more talented than the players currently on the roster. He was Chris Simm’s #1 QB in the draft last year, but more importantly, his dual threat ability would be a revelation for a QB learning and developing under Josh Allen. He would be an amazing scout team QB if nothing else. 

Put a claim in Buffalo! 

Lisfranc injury.  Pretty sure that's what Sammy Watkins had?  But I thought they ordinarily heal pretty well.

Corral made the initial 53 man roster and was cut so the Panthers could claim 3 guys off waivers.  That's gotta sting.

29 minutes ago, buffblue said:

Matt Corral is not close to being a good prospect. He's been absolutely atrocious in every opportunity he got with the Panthers. Zero pocket presence and accuracy and terrible at reading NFL defenses. Hard pass

I'm not saying you're wrong, but do you make a special deal of watching the Panthers pre-season or something?  Cuz the guy never threw a regular season pass for them.

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'm not saying you're wrong, but do you make a special deal of watching the Panthers pre-season or something?  Cuz the guy never threw a regular season pass for them.

Yeah, I live in Charlotte and follow the Panthers pretty closely.

Admittedly Corral hasn't had a huge body of work (and he got injured his rookie year), but I have seen all of his action in preseason games. He has honestly looked completely lost every time he's on the field. The book on him coming out was great arm and athleticism, but also lacking in many of other attributes necessary to be a functional qb. So far that has proven to be highly accurate. He played in a very simplistic offense in college and has struggled mightily adapting. Corral panics and gets happy feet in the face of pressure or when he doesn't understand what the defense is showing. He'll give up on plays prematurely and deliver inaccurate passes because of poor mechanics. From my viewpoint he is just overwhelmed and lacks confidence. 

I guess some team will take a chance on him because there's no harm in trying, but I don't see him turning into a successful reclamation project.

A lot of quarterbacks look like absolute trash early on. Aaron Rodgers was sketchy in preseason behind Favre. Sticking with Green Bay, Jordan Love may finally be emerging after looking “lost” many times in limited action in the past.

obviously Corral is not the perfect prospect, but he has the clay to mold into a productive starter if the light bulb comes on. The duo of Kyle Allen and Matt Barkley are just wasted roster spots, imo.

Edited by UmbrellaMan

2 hours ago, UmbrellaMan said:

Put a claim in Buffalo! 

Trouble with putting in a claim is that he would have to be signed to the 53 man roster and he's not ready for that. He would need to learn the playbook and get snaps and that wouldn't happen in season (the practice snaps that is).

Best course is to see if he clears and sign to PS. He's still somewhat raw IMO and running the scout team would be a good start for him. I do think he's got a shot to be a plus backup.

19 minutes ago, UmbrellaMan said:

A lot of quarterbacks look like absolute trash early on. Aaron Rodgers was sketchy in preseason behind Favre. Sticking with Green Bay, Jordan Love may finally be emerging after looking “lost” many times in limited action in the past.

obviously Corral is not the perfect prospect, but he has the clay to mold into a productive starter if the light bulb comes on. The duo of Kyle Allen and Matt Barkley are just wasted roster spots, imo.

Rodgers and even Love were both 1st rounders that their team was going to give plenty of rope to develop.  Guys like Corral get a few chances, and if they blow them or get hurt, more times than not that's a wrap.

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

Sorry, I actually watch a ton of college football and not just look at the stats.  Lane Kiffin can make anyone look good.  He is small and limited. 

I watch a ton of college football too and actually understand how good Matt Corral was in college. If you do what you say, you'd see the same. 

So you watch "a ton of college football" and came to the conclusion Matt Corral wasn't good (or mobile) in college but Malik Cunningham was? 

I don't care if you dont "just look at stats" no player that "wasn't good in college" has over 30 touchdowns. <5 INTs 600 rushing yards in the SEC. 

If you don't just look at stats and actually watch the game and came to the conclusion he isn't mobile (or good in college), you need to get your eyes checked. Pretty sure he even had a 30 yard run in the NFL this preseason LOL. 

We already know Beane tried to get Trey Lance. Corral has elite arm talent and he is also incredibly mobile. 

If anything at all happens to Josh’s Allen we are sunk. Corral might make things interesting.

No.. Not according to @Back2Buff... He "ACTUALLY watches a ton of college football and doesn't just look at stats" and he said Matt Corral isn't mobile... not even with 600 yards... immobile QBs get more than 600 yards every year! Trust him... he "watches a ton of college football" 

Edited by warrior9

4 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Try to be less specific.  I’d like to see if that is somehow possible.

Dude, everyone who says "I actually watch and don't just look at stats" 

Actually mean, "I saw him play once and I drew X conclusion.." No way in hell someone watched him in college and didn't think he was a stud college QB (he also said he isn't mobile" lolllll) 

He also said he's small and limited.. He's 6'2 and 215.. he's a big guy LOL .. Maybe he doesn't look at height and weight stats either... 

Edited by warrior9

We already know Beane tried to get Trey Lance. Corral has elite arm talent and he is also incredibly mobile. 

If anything at all happens to Josh’s Allen we are sunk. Corral might make things interesting.

Can't say I've followed this player so I'm looking at a tiny sample size but his preseason looks pretty ugly. If that is who he is I'm not surprised he was cut. M. Cunningham however would be a good get imo though if they now want their QBs to execute from the pocket, which impacts play design, blocking schemes etc... that's probably not what he does best.

To me teams should all have a developmental player for the most important position.

14 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Dude, everyone who says "I actually watch and don't just look at stats" 

Actually mean, "I saw him play once and I drew X conclusion.." No way in hell someone watched him in college and didn't think he was a stud college QB (he also said he isn't mobile" lolllll) 

He also said he's small and limited.. He's 6'2 and 215.. he's a big guy LOL .. Maybe he doesn't look at height and weight stats either... 

Seems like a perfect lottery card as a PS player for Buffalo.  Beane said he was negotiating with a QB so it sounds like it's a players that has interest elsewhere??

26 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Seems like a perfect lottery card as a PS player for Buffalo.  Beane said he was negotiating with a QB so it sounds like it's a players that has interest elsewhere??

Oh I have no idea, I was just talking about the derp who said Corral wasn't good in college then claimed he "watched a lot of college football" 

Corral may never translate to the NFL, I was just saying he was a great college QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, buffblue said:

Yeah, I live in Charlotte and follow the Panthers pretty closely.

Admittedly Corral hasn't had a huge body of work (and he got injured his rookie year), but I have seen all of his action in preseason games. He has honestly looked completely lost every time he's on the field. The book on him coming out was great arm and athleticism, but also lacking in many of other attributes necessary to be a functional qb. So far that has proven to be highly accurate. He played in a very simplistic offense in college and has struggled mightily adapting. Corral panics and gets happy feet in the face of pressure or when he doesn't understand what the defense is showing. He'll give up on plays prematurely and deliver inaccurate passes because of poor mechanics. From my viewpoint he is just overwhelmed and lacks confidence. 

I guess some team will take a chance on him because there's no harm in trying, but I don't see him turning into a successful reclamation project.

Sounds like the description of Josh before he rose to his current level.  

28 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Sounds like the description of Josh before he rose to his current level.  

Except that Josh was bigger and a superior athlete with better intangibles coming out. He also played in a more pro-style offense at Wyoming than Corral at Ole Miss, who was propped up by Lane Kiffin's one read attack

7 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

He wasn't even good in College.  I wish they would have put in a claim for Malik Cunningham.  The easiest way to win with a backup is QB is with a mobile QB.

Hmmmm. I kinda like this idea. Dammit, I love it. Who wants a Barkely or Allen if you can grab a wildcard Manziel/Tebow type (not literal) hired gun.

Unless Frank Reich is lying and he was just hyping the kid up, it seems like he wanted him back on the Panthers Practice Squad:

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2023/08/30/panthers-frank-reich-i-would-love-to-get-matt-corral-back/

The Panthers announced 11 of their 16 PS signings today and he wasn't listed among them, yet:

https://www.panthers.com/news/panthers-add-11-players-to-the-practice-squad

Which to me implies Corral has options and is at least weighing them, if not outright turning down Carolina. 

I think he is fully in play for our QB Practice Squad signing.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, UmbrellaMan said:

Put a claim in Buffalo! 

Well him being Simms #1 QB last year doesn't mean much when a team who drafted him already cut him.  But I have no issue bringing him in as a PS developmental guy, especially given our backup QB situation is meh

9 hours ago, UmbrellaMan said:

Do we really know?  Why would the 49ers trade within the conference if teams outside the conference were making offers, especially a team that’s likely to be a threat come playoff time?  

Need somebody who's done it before to some extent, as in even stepped on the field, won a game. Sign me up for Colt McCoy with the rest of the borings. If there's any way to further stick him on the PS and completely cleanse the current QB depth I'm all for it.

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.