We need a good every down running back option--Kareem Hunt

Mister Defense

Cook may turn out to be a great every down running back, but he isn't built like one and was not one in college.  Can you see someone Cook's size taking one big hit after another and not wearing or breaking down soon? I cannot. I think he will be much better in a more limited role, although getting a lot of touches as both a runner and receiver.

While Damien Harris is only 26 he has missed many games the last few years due to injury. He has already missed two with the Bills.

Latavius Murray looks good and may get a lot more carries than most expect, but is 33.

For a team that seems more committed to the run now, the Bills are very thin at running back. An unproven starter, an often injured Harris, and 33 year old Murray. Seems like the Bills are just hoping, rather than actually nailing this vital position, much like they did last year with the slot receiver position.

When before last season many seemed to say it was not a big deal losing Beasley, that MacKenzie or Crowder would be even better, I thought that was foolish.  It was a crap-shoot (that the Bills lost) for what was one of the most important positions in this offense.  Getting rid of Singletarry and not having a good replacement may derail this offense in the same way this year. The Bills cannot compete with the top teams in the AFC if they are so one-dimensional again. An improved running game is vital for the Bills to take the next step.  They cannot just role the dice again.

The Bills should make a play for Taylor, but Kareem Hunt is a more realistic option. He  is still out there and the Bills should sign him.  He is 28 but has not had many carries lately in his career. They have a little extra money now with the Basham trade and should bolster this vital position now.

• Vomit 5
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 9
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Dislike 6

6 minutes ago, eball said:

Disagree completely.  The Bills’ trio of Cook, Harris, and Murray is probably in the top half of NFL RB rooms.

No way, for the reasons I stated above.  They COULD be, but the evidence is not there to back it up.  It is the opposite at this point.

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 5

Interest in Kareem Hunt is only from the ive heard of him camp.  He clearly lost a atep last year and wasnt nearly as effective.  Multiple teams have brought him in and nobody has signed him.  This isnt the same kareem hunt the Browns originally signed.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, section122 said:

Interest in Kareem Hunt is only from the ive heard of him camp.  He clearly lost a atep last year and wasnt nearly as effective.  Multiple teams have brought him in and nobody has signed him.  This isnt the same kareem hunt the Browns originally signed.

The Bills have not brought him in, shouldn't they?

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 2

6 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Now way, for the reasons I stated above.  They COULD be, but the evidence is not there to back it up.  It is the opposite at this point.

Kareem Hunt, who had 3.8 yards per carry last year is the answer? Sorry but the evidence suggests he's a JAG at this point of his career. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Mister Defense said:

The Bills have not brought him in, shouldn't they?

No.  You are concerned about Murray who showed well last year but want Hunt who didn't.  That doesn't really make sense.  

Additionally improving the rb room isnt the priority improving lb or ot is or at least should be.  If Harris gets injured then maybe but I think that would lead to an elevation of evans or mims whichever makes the ps.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, section122 said:

No.  You are concerned about Murray who showed well last year but want Hunt who didn't.  That doesn't really make sense.  

Additionally improving the rb room isnt the priority improving lb or ot is or at least should be.  If Harris gets injured then maybe but I think that would lead to an elevation of evans or mims whichever makes the ps.

No I am very happy that the Bills signed Murray, think he plays like a much younger player. But the Bills are too thin at the position right now, going into the season. It will just give Dorsey an excuse for not running the ball enough again.

Just now, buffblue said:

What is with the running back obsession around here? 

Not a vital position to you? Because of the lack of recent big contracts and seemingly devaluing of the position in the NFL now?

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Mister Defense said:

No I am very happy that the Bills signed Murray, think he plays like a much younger player. But the Bills are too thin at the position right now, going into the season. It will just give Dorsey an excuse for not running the ball enough again.

Not a vital position to you? Because of the lack of recent big contracts and seemingly devaluing of the position in the NFL now?

So....4 RBs?  Is that the right number?

18 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yes, as Gilliam is not a running back for the Bills, do not count him as such, with an average of one carry a year for three years.

Kind of humorous, the reaction, almost like the criticism of those sounding the alarm last year for the slot receiver position.

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Mister Defense said:

Yes, as Gilliam is not a running back for the Bills, do not count him as such, with an average of one carry a year for three years.

Kind of humorous, the reaction, almost like the criticism of those sounding the alarm last year for the slot receiver position last year. 

I think it’s more of the stance you are taking and the guy you’re taking it with. Hunt hasn’t been an every down back in several years, why would he be that now? Also I think the overall thinking is that Cook can be that guy and he has earned that opportunity to show that 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Ya Digg? said:

I think it’s more of the stance you are taking and the guy you’re taking it with. Hunt hasn’t been an every down back in several years, why would he be that now? Also I think the overall thinking is that Cook can be that guy and he has earned that opportunity to show that 

Agreed, we need to give Cook this entire year as RB 1 and see how he does.  

2 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

No way, for the reasons I stated above.  They COULD be, but the evidence is not there to back it up.  It is the opposite at this point.

And Hunt COULD get arrested for kicking another woman. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

I would rather they pursue Taylor, think they can do that even with their cap situation. 

There are not a lot of options out there, and Hunt is the best of the bunch.

I don't think Hunt would get 300 carries, but enough to take the pressure off of Cook and let him be the player he can become--rather than get beat down as the every down back that he has never been.  In addition, it seems unlikely that  Harris does not miss games, maybe quite a few this year. 

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Mister Defense said:

I would rather they pursue Taylor, think they can that even with their cap situation. 

There are not a lot of options out there, and Hunt is the best of the bunch.

I don't think Hunt would get 300 carries, but enough to take the pressure off of Cook and let him be the player he can become--rather than get beat down as the every down back that he has never been.  In addition, it seems unlikely that  Harris does not miss games, maybe quite a few this year. 

Hunt has been averaging like 120 carries a year in the last 6 years and you throw out you "don't think" he would get 300 carries?

Are you wanting us to be the most run heavy team where the back up to give Cook a relief is in the ball park of 300 carries?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

The Bills are set at RB. Harris was hurt some of last year and is now healthy. He will be the red zone guy with Murray as  back up. Looks to be a great group! 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Kind of humorous, the reaction, almost like the criticism of those sounding the alarm last year for the slot receiver position.

How many teams carry 4 true RBs?  What would be the gameplan for the 4 of them?

Kareem Hunt looked one doughnut away from being completely out of shape last season. 

I don't hate the idea, but he's not going to come in over Cook or Harris, so he's competiting with Murray for snaps, and then you have start looking at Reggie Gillman as needs to go because there is just too many people dedicated that to that position. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

57 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

The idea is nuts.

Name five teams with four HBs on the 53 where one of them is not primarily an STs guy.

You're trying to put together a roster for a game that nobody plays anymore. On a team that will absolutely be far more of a throwing team than a running team, which is as it should be, because taking the ball out of Josh Allen's hands is nuts.

If Cook had 11 more carries, he would have led the NFL in YPC last year and also had the highest percentage of breakaway runs in the NFL.  Literally, WTF are you talking about?

Additionally, almost no team uses one bellcow back anymore. This isn't 1990. Most teams are RB by committee now.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

Cook may turn out to be a great every down running back, but he isn't built like one and was not one in college.  Can you see someone Cook's size taking one big hit after another and not wearing or breaking down soon? I cannot. I think he will be much better in a more limited role, although getting a lot of touches as both a runner and receiver.

While Damien Harris is only 26 he has missed many games the last few years due to injury. He has already missed two with the Bills.

Latavius Murray looks good and may get a lot more carries than most expect, but is 33.

For a team that seems more committed to the run now, the Bills are very thin at running back. An unproven starter, an often injured Harris, and 33 year old Murray. Seems like the Bills are just hoping, rather than actually nailing this vital position, much like they did last year with the slot receiver position.

When before last season many seemed to say it was not a big deal losing Beasley, that MacKenzie or Crowder would be even better, I thought that was foolish.  It was a crap-shoot (that the Bills lost) for what was one of the most important positions in this offense.  Getting rid of Singletarry and not having a good replacement may derail this offense in the same way this year. The Bills cannot compete with the top teams in the AFC if they are so one-dimensional again. An improved running game is vital for the Bills to take the next step.  They cannot just role the dice again.

The Bills should make a play for Taylor, but Kareem Hunt is a more realistic option. He  is still out there and the Bills should sign him.  He is 28 but has not had many carries lately in his career. They have a little extra money now with the Basham trade and should bolster this vital position now.

All draft picks come out as “unproven starters.” Cook got better & better as the year went on and took plenty of big shots never getting injured once. 

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

And Hunt COULD get arrested for kicking another woman. 

Oh yeah, the old NE OH version of "kickin it"!

Murray and Harris are better players at this point without the "what's he up to now" headache. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.