PSE has been "Dissolved"

Bulldog

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

My worry is the Sabres are worth 2X-3X more in any other city. I don't know what their lease situation is but I bet they aren't as tied down as the Bills are. (And the Bills aren't even that tied down when you really look at it.)

Both. QC is not getting a team.

LOL at you for even thinking there is a remote chance of the Sabres leaving Buffalo.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Anybody that thinks Terry is going to keep the bills and then sell to sabers isn't that in touch

First of all he cried when he bought the sabers.. not the bills

Second he would have a PR nightmare that would not go away in buffalo

That's not true. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

That's not true. 

I'm pretty sure I remember him crying when he bought the Buffalo sabers... in The opening press conference

And I don't remember him crying when he bought the bills

It was like over 10 years ago.. but I'm pretty sure he cried during the sabers press conference

And said how this was his dream

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

I'm pretty sure I remember him crying when he bought the Buffalo sabers... in The opening press conference

And I don't remember him crying when he bought the bills

I do.  I remember he had a huge boogie coming out of his nose.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

He was crying and blowing snot bubbles.

I definitely remember it for the sabers

But that makes my point even more... He's passionate... And the sabers are his baby

He's not discarding them

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

I do.  I remember he had a huge boogie coming out of his nose.

So he's a passionate owner who saved two franchises in Buffalo...

And he's also put billions of dollars into Buffalo

He's not discarding his legacy to get rid of the sabers

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I agree.  I just thought it was odd he'd separate the 2.  I read (speculation?) that PSE was Kim's baby so maybe splitting them might be better tax-wise.  Someone also said he could sell up to a 25% stake in the Sabres.  I don't know.  But I'm 100% sure he's at least not selling the Bills.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Terry bought the Sabres for $189M and it's worth over $600M.  He has also had possible net yearly revenues with maybe the exception of Covid

years.  Team is on the rise again and fans will go back to their seats.  He is not losing money owning the Sabres.

That’s great. Still a lot of silly speculation, especially if they are not losing money.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

I agree.  I just thought it was odd he'd separate the 2.  I read (speculation?) that PSE was Kim's baby so maybe splitting them might be better tax-wise.  Someone also said he could sell up to a 25% stake in the Sabres.  I don't know.  But I'm 100% sure he's at least not selling the Bills.

For sure the one Buffalo thing was kind of his moniker

21 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I definitely remember it for the sabers

But that makes my point even more... He's passionate... And the sabers are his baby

He's not discarding them

You will tip my OCD over the edge if you type sabers one more time.

S-A-B-R-E-S

😂

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

You will tip my OCD over the edge if you type sabers one more time.

S-A-B-R-E-S

😂

Dude I'm using my phone to speak into it

That's how it's autocorrecting it lol

I know how it's spelled my phone apparently doesn't

Edited by Buffalo716

If Terry is selling a minority stake in the Sabres to raise renovation funds then taking the Sabres out of PSE structure would be a necessary first step.  

I have heard that if it were totally up to Kim, the Pegulas would have sold the Sabres and been done with hockey a few years ago.  The reason that hasn't happened is because Terry loves hockey.  Terry put $100 million into Penn State's hockey program to bring them D-1.  I would be very surprised if Terry is giving up the Sabres. 

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

If Terry is selling a minority stake in the Sabres to raise renovation funds then the Sabres out of PSE structure would be a necessary first step.  

I have heard that if it were totally up to Kim, the Pegulas would have sold the Sabres and been done with hockey a few years ago.  The reason that hasn't happened is because Terry loves hockey.  Terry put $100 million into Penn State's hockey program to bring them D-1.  I would be very surprised if Terry is giving up the Sabres. 

I don't blame her.  The fans hate them, aren't showing up and the team is losing money.  But Terry loves hockey.  Which is why I don't believe he's fully selling the team.

Just now, Augie said:

I’m sure you’ve been trying to forget, so it must have been quite something! 

No, I don't think I'll ever forget it.  I kept saying "wipe your nose Terry, wipe your nose."  But he didn't listen for awhile.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

If Terry is selling a minority stake in the Sabres to raise renovation funds then the Sabres out of PSE structure would be a necessary first step.  

Pretty much the same thing, but my wife was thinking of trading in her SUV, and suggested I replace my sedan, but I just wanted to hang onto it. We stood pat. 

Just add many zeroes. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, boyst said:

he's been quietly shopping the sabres for a while i have heard. this might make it easier.

This has to be the reason.  Given the condition of Kim, it makes sense for Terry to streamline and focus his interests.  Also the profit margin for a struggling small market team who hasn’t seen the playoffs in a decade plus can’t be great.  

I think Terry wants to focus all of his time, energy, and resources on the Bills

9 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

What happens to MSG Western New York? That was owned by PSL & showed Bills & Sabres content.

PSE was an overseeing holding company.  I imagine under it's "dissolving" all the other entities are separated.

I'm sure Terry has been involved with all the details and that's probably why he wasn't in WNY for the RJ ceremony.

All this no doubt was in the works before RJ passed away.

Same questions can be asked (and eventually answered) about the Amerks, Bandits and all the other subsidiaries.

This is corporate stuff and will take time for all the info to come out.

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

This has to be the reason.  Given the condition of Kim, it makes sense for Terry to streamline and focus his interests.  Also the profit margin for a struggling small market team who hasn’t seen the playoffs in a decade plus can’t be great.  

I think Terry wants to focus all of his time, energy, and resources on the Bills

I wonder if he'd sell (up to 25%) but give control of day-to-day operations to the minority owner?

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I wonder if he'd sell (up to 25%) but give control of day-to-day operations to the minority owner?

That’s an interesting thought, given the apparent circumstances. I guess it depends on if you can find that special minority owner.   🤷‍♂️

7 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

The sabres have the best pipeline in the NHL and will be contending for Stanley cups soon

He's not selling them... he's Also putting money into the arena rn... And he owns the complex next door

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

No way Buffalo loses the Sabres.  The league knows Buffalo is one of the best hockey towns in the NHL.

This is 100 percent correct.

Buffalo is one of the best hockey markets in the country and always #1 in the ratings. The team is becoming good again. If Pegula does sell it would be to a local interest.

The idea of the Sabres leaving Buffalo is way more of a nothingburger than the Bills prior to the stadium agreement. And a Bills relocation was always highly unlikely itself. 

Edited by buffblue

2 hours ago, boyst said:

Don't even get me started on them. They're complete *****. Territorial, invasive, and destructive. 😡🤬

Are you kidding me?!

Canada Gooses are the envy of all ornithology!

Majestic! Barrel-chested!

Don't you remember when that plane had to land on the river in New York 'cause Canada Gooses flew into the engine? It's 'cause Canada Gooses likely had intel that there was a pedophile or two on board and took matters into their own hands. As they should!

tumblr_p24cea5hvj1qfwptlo1_400.gif

letterkenny-wayne-mc-murray.gif

ZesCF80.gif

• Vomit 1

25 minutes ago, Logic said:

Are you kidding me?!

Canada Gooses are the envy of all ornithology!

Majestic! Barrel-chested!

Don't you remember when that plane had to land on the river in New York 'cause Canada Gooses flew into the engine? It's 'cause Canada Gooses likely had intel that there was a pedophile or two on board and took matters into their own hands. As they should!

tumblr_p24cea5hvj1qfwptlo1_400.gif

letterkenny-wayne-mc-murray.gif

ZesCF80.gif

Well to be fair...  I prefer Mrs cartman's view of Canada to Wayne's 

• Haha (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

for such a fast exciting game and such a long season and post season they fail to get the viewers they should. 

baffling, maybe not for a robot 

Odd sidetrack, but…..years ago a friend of mine went to a party where he saw his first ever HD TV. I remember him saying “hockey is great when you can see it better!”  

Skip ahead to last Saturday when I tuned into the Notre Dame game in Dublin. My TV told me it was available on some channel I didn’t know I had in 4k, would I like to go there? Click!  The ND helmets looked like the stuff in the Best Buy showroom when they try to WOW!!! you. It was very cool (though our slow internet struggled a couple times).

Hockey would be wise to get some content on 4k feeds, if they don’t already. I’d love to see it and see how much it upgrades the experience. They should have more viewers, it is fast and intense……….says the guy who loved the French Connection but left WNY in 1977 and has viewed little hockey since. 

EDIT: Think back to golf before shot tracker. I would find that unwatchable now. How it is televised changed the game in terms of viewership. Hockey could learn from that. 

(Lighten up, it’s nice Sunday background.) 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Whole lot of speculation going on in here....I doubt Terry sells the Sabres but I guess with all things considered it could be possible...but I PROMISE you he isn't selling the Sabres without some sort of stipulations in place that cements keeping the team in Buffalo.  There is zero chance of the Sabres getting relocated 

I hadn’t thought of him selling the Sabres. If he did, would a new owner really want to stay in Buffalo or move them. They need a new arena so what would be the new owner’s preference? Move or stay? Buffalo can clearly fill the seats but money talks and nothing is guaranteed. Makes me nervous. 

I don’t know much about the PSE situation. I’ve always thought that it was stupid to operate both brands with the same leadership/people. The NHL and NFL are completely different business models with different revenue streams. A lot of teams combine their staffs but their roles are different.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Terry put $100 million into Penn State's hockey program to bring them D-1.  I would be very surprised if Terry is giving up the Sabres. 

Yep, he built Penn State's Pegula Ice Arena in 2013 so the team could go D-I. 

[Backstory: I saw this girl at my gym a year ago, and I noticed she was wearing a "Pegula Ice Area" shirt. I knew nothing about this at the time and wondered if that's where the Sabres played (I hadn't followed them since the 80's when they played at the Aud)? Or maybe "Pegula" was a common name and the ice arena was named after some other Pegula? I doubted that second thought, lol, as I grew up in the area. It had to be somewhere on the east coast. So I was so curious I had to look it up, and also take a pic of that t-shirt. Now your post gave me an excuse to post it here. I realized then Terry was big-time into hockey. I was also a little disappointed the arena wasn't in Buffalo.]

20221219-094038-cropped.jpg

Edited by chongli

4 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

They probably really want to hit Houston and maybe Atlanta, but I wonder if that will just be another round of expansion.  

Atlanta has lost two NHL teams. I think the league would be stupid to allow another franchise for that city. They apparently don't support hockey in that town.

I have zero inside information, but I doubt that Pegula is selling the Sabres.  There are many reasons, many of which have been stated above in this thread:

• he loves hockey and the team
  • after several years of failure, the team has turned the corner and is poised for a nice long run of success
    • which will be fun and enjoyable for him as the owner
    • which will likely be highly profitable for him as the owner
  • he has several children who can take over the family business when he gets too old (it looks like Kim's health may already have her out of the mix, sadly)
  • he currently has good management in place on the sports side, both with the Bills and Sabres, so he can focus more on the business side
  • he has others in place to help with the day to day work on the business side, so some of his "President" title may simply be as a figurehead; he can be as heavily or little involved as he wants to be
  • he doesn't need the money, so he's not in a position where he'd be forced to sell
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.