Case Keenum is more than a target

Lothar

If Keenum is cut by the Texans, we apparently lose the Edmunds 3rd round pick. We need to either ensure the Texans keep him or we need to trade for him - Joe B says 6th or 7th but he might actually be worth a 4th to us in that scenario. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I did ponder this the other week think it was with @Beck Water. It definitely used to be the case that the guys that were qualifying FAs for the purposes of the comp pick formula had to actually make the rosters they signed to (without being cut) and make it a certain number of weeks (think it was 6). If they stay on that contract having been traded to another team they still count.

Wasn't sure if that was still the case but it appears so. In which case definitely woth one of our extra 6ths to trade for a better backup and keep our extra 3rd.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Success said:

As long as the Patriots don't get an extra pick.

2 minutes ago, BillsfaninChicago said:

If the equation is correct the Patriots will then get two extra 1st round picks either way ;)

This joke has run its course, like the Patriots franchise post Tom Brady.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 14
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Lothar said:

If Keenum is cut by the Texans, we apparently lose the Edmunds 3rd round pick. We need to either ensure the Texans keep him or we need to trade for him - Joe B says 6th or 7th but he might actually be worth a 4th to us in that scenario. 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I did ponder this the other week think it was with @Beck Water. It definitely used to be the case that the guys that were qualifying FAs for the purposes of the comp pick formula had to actually make the rosters they signed to (without being cut) and make it a certain number of weeks (think it was 6). If they stay on that contract having been traded to another team they still count.

Wasn't sure if that was still the case but it appears so. In which case definitely woth one of our extra 6ths to trade for a better backup and keep our extra 3rd.

Are you guys suggesting that if WE trade for Keenum and have him on OUR roster until week 6 or so he still qualifies and we keep 3rd round comp pick?

That is wild if true.

Just now, No_Matter_What said:

Are you guys suggesting that if WE trade for Keenum and have him on OUR roster until week 6 or so he still qualifies and we keep 3rd round comp pick?

That is wild if true.

Yep. Certainly used to be the way it worked. If Keenum is cut we have lost to pick. I think that is clear.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. Certainly used to be the way it worked. If Keenum is cut we have lost to pick. I think that is clear.

Yeah I got bolded. I just find it hilarious if one way to prevent cutting him is to trade for him to make sure we keep our comp pick. 

Edited by No_Matter_What

11 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I still see the Texans holding onto Keenum as a vet mentor. I'll gladly trade for Davis Mills, however.

If by any chance the Texans are vacillating on who to keep, trade for Mills. I'd rather have Mills and we want Keenum to stick.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If what you posted is true then it is definitely worth it.

Beane butchered the comp pick opportunity with Gilmore. He can't screw this up too. 

An extra 3rd round pick is one of the ways you retool while on a franchise history QB contract.

Edited by Ethan in Cleveland
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

This joke has run its course, like the Patriots franchise post Tom Brady.

Thoroughly speculative studies based upon nebulous data I fabricated prove 3 out of 5 TSWers enjoy the New England Conditional Draft Pick fallacy.  You and sourpuss Limeaid may file protests with the appropriate agencies.

• Haha (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, Process said:

Well that's interesting. Keenum making the Texans is the difference between us getting a 3rd round pick and nothing?

If he's cut, we wouldn't just get a worse comp pick?

That's crazy. What a stupid system. 

Yea we wouldn't get anything. 

7 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Thoroughly speculative studies based upon nebulous data I fabricated prove 3 out of 5 TSWers enjoy the New England Conditional Draft Pick fallacy.  You and sourpuss Limeaid may file protests with the appropriate agencies.

Must be filed in duplicate yes?

3 minutes ago, Process said:

Well that's interesting. Keenum making the Texans is the difference between us getting a 3rd round pick and nothing?

If he's cut, we wouldn't just get a worse comp pick?

That's crazy. What a stupid system. 

Dear Process,

Yes, it is.  Life sucks, then you die.

Yours truly,

W. Belichick 

NFL Conditional Draft Pick Czar

(In perpetuity)

Just now, AuntieEm said:

Whichever gives ol' Limeaid more angst.  

• Haha (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

About as data driven as the obligatory spleen references when ANY injury is reported 

9 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

With a TPS report attached

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

About as data driven as the obligatory spleen references when ANY injury is reported 

Don't forget the obligatory "Super bowl!" salute every time some scrub that adds to the back end of the roster is signed.

It might just barely have registered as humorous the first time. 

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Don't forget the obligatory "Super bowl!" salute every time some scrub that adds to the back end of the roster is signed.

It might just barely have registered as humorous the first time. 

I’ll pile on with the requisite “get ‘er done Beane” whenever anyone is available via trade 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

I’ll pile on with the requisite “get ‘er done Beane” whenever anyone is available via trade 

There's a thread in the Off the Wall forum for "phrases you hate." We've identified a number of them.

Indeed, I may have to imbibe a Guinness or two to mollify the soul and forestall an attack of misanthropic exasperation.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Lothar said:

How does that work? Keenum left as an UFA and signed with another team. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

There's a thread in the Off the Wall forum for "phrases you hate." We've identified a number of them.

Indeed, I may have to imbibe a Guinness or two to mollify the soul and forestall an attack of misanthropic exasperation.

I’m with you. On my 3rd Guinness, are there any more phrases we can identify?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

If by any chance the Texans are vacillating on who to keep, trade for Mills. I'd rather have Mills and we want Keenum to stick.

If I was a Texans fan and they traded 25 year old Davis Mills with a reasonably high ceiling just so they can keep 35 year old Case Keenum with no ceiling as a backup, well not sure what I'd do because if I was a Texans fan and didn't already blow my brains out...

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.