What are your top TWO takeaways from the Bills-Steelers game?

Chaos

6 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

No our starters got there asses handed to them by a team with a superior coach that had them ready to play.  That is something that has eluded this Bills team for 7 seasons including the playoffs, a top tier coach having his team ready to play.  McD is a average coach and never will be elite.  Get over your worship of this guy he is 100% never going to get our team to a SB.  Period.

What’s alarming is our first D and O got a crack against pit 2s. And they still looked bad ….

that’s alarming 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1.) Starters got manhandled on both sides of line of scrimmage. 

2.) Father times seems to have caught up with Hyde and especially Poyer. They look slow. 

Another thing Dawkins is eating himself out of the league. He played terrible. 

Edited by noacls
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

Our offense is going to be top 5. Our defense is going to be in the bottom half of the league.

That would be wild given the talent on that side of the ball. 

Imagine what the top DC’s could do with this group .. There aren’t any excuses for McDermott to not field a top 10 caliber defense. 

15 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

In the regular season Allen likely runs for a 1st down on that play. It was clear he was instructed NOT to run and as he crossed the LOS he realized "Oh ####" and ran back behind the LOS.  It was actually funny to watch.  It also told you all you needed to know about the Bulls mindset for last nights game:

*  Don't get hurt

*  Don't give away anything about what we'll be doing week one.

*  work out the kinks and get ready for the season opener.

Unfortunately, the Bills came up against a motivated Pittsburgh which fielded one of the top 3 D lines last night and they got after Allen who was trying to operate a vanilla offense for a couple of series. 

What I saw was that Allen looked sharp when he wasn't running for his life.  He threw a fast and accurate ball for several of his completions.  The 35 yard pass to Davis that was called back for holding was jaw dropping.  In fact, on that 2nd Bills drive they were penalized 3 straight plays for 25 yards which also cancelled out 45 yards worth of pass completions.  If the Bills score that drive is anyone really bitching much this morning?

I suspect that in the end getting their a$$'s handed to them in the first half was a good thing.  Over the course of a season most teams need a wake up call.  So for the Bills to get their wake up call in the PRESEASON is ideal.

1) I had a very similar impression.  I think the starters took the don't get hurt seriously & it affected their play & effort.  I'm sure Josh's #1 instruction was not to put himself in any danger.  

2) Getting their asses kicked in Pittsburgh goes all the way back to the Jim Kelly era.  Back then it was Kelly going home, now it's McDermott intimidated by Tomlin.  You can't idolize the coach on the other side, that's McDermott's biggest problem coaching against Tomlin.  Tomlin has been his idol since their college days.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

1. I hope they actually have a plan at MLB, other than aj Klein

2. I hope the play calling for the first team offense is more what we saw with Barkley and Kyle ie short quick rhythm passing and some runs when the QB is under center 

On point 2 how much I'd the playcalling is Dorsey and how much is Josh checking into plays he wants.  Perhaps he needs to stop improvising as much and let his weapons start making some plays as called and designed.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, dickleyjones said:

1. The board will overreact.

2. This board never disappoints.

We still haven't won a Super Bowl. Most "overreactions" end up pointing to the actual truth -- we aren't good enough. People can scoff and mock, but that's been the reality and all indications are that it will remain the reality, so those who "overreact" are doing so reasonably.

• Agree 2

One more thing about last nights game.  In the preseason, coaches approach these games very differently. Buffalo is a legit SB contender that wants to get through the preseason healthy and fill out the bottom end of their roster.  In contrast the Steeler's are a mid level team that will win 8 - 10 games.  Tomlin wants them to be hungry street fighters and that starts in the preseason. 

Remember, the Ravens did not lose a preseason game from 2016 - 2022.  And during that 7 year span they went to the playoffs 4 times winning only 1 playoff game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

You've got an agenda, so this is really a futile attempt: nonetheless, look two posts above for a plausible rationale. The two teams did not approach the game in the same way. That is reflected in how the game played out. I agree that McD has not shown himself to be an elite coach. I do think he is somewhat better than average, though he has the annual clunker and when he does, it looks bad. I don't think this game is indicative as it was not game planned. They were not trying to compete and win, that was not their aim and it is rational that they had other priorities.

Lots of overreaction. Concern about OT is the most significant genuine anxiety. MLB is not great, but I think they can scheme that deficiency to some degree.

The Jets D must be salivating. 

Delvin Cook will be looking to hit a hone run again. 

34 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

The new media darlings are Kenny Pickett and the steelers, everyone believes the bills have peaked.

Is the window closing? Is it time for change? 

44 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

No our starters got there asses handed to them by a team with a superior coach that had them ready to play.  That is something that has eluded this Bills team for 7 seasons including the playoffs, a top tier coach having his team ready to play.  McD is a average coach and never will be elite.  Get over your worship of this guy he is 100% never going to get our team to a SB.  Period.

This is more likely than not to be true.

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli

27 minutes ago, SCBills said:

That would be wild given the talent on that side of the ball. 

Imagine what the top DC’s could do with this group .. There aren’t any excuses for McDermott to not field a top 10 caliber defense. 

They’re all old and injury riddled.. outside of a few anomalies football is a sport for people in their 20s. Age catches up with all of us eventually. Everyone looks so much slower 

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, balln said:

What’s alarming is our first D and O got a crack against pit 2s. And they still looked bad ….

that’s alarming 

Exactly! Yet, many are willing to ignore or give excuses. 

Who cares about the score. It's the above that raises eyebrows. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

1.  Kincaid and Torrence impressed

2.  Dawkins and Brown a concern 

This is the correct answer. 

MLB is an issue.. but it’s also one I’d expect McDermott to be able to scheme around in real games given the talent on this defense.   We also don’t know if Bernard is, at least, serviceable.  Dodson is what he’s always been… a backup… and given his reported temper flares and evident game struggles, I have to wonder if he’s even a lock for the 53 at this point, given we may need to start Klein until TB is able to be given a shot. 

Dawkins/Brown have to be better.  We can whine all we want about it, but if they’re not.. our offense will struggle because there’s likely not many options to fix it at this point.   We can keep Knox in to help one of them, but not both. 

Kincaid/Torrence look like smash hits.  It’s early, of course, but the ceiling for both of them is All-Pro level.   Much, much needed if we want to keep this window open long term.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

49 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Concern about OT is the most significant genuine anxiety. MLB is not great, but I think they can scheme that deficiency to some degree.

Agree. Dawkins has been a solid player throughout his career, so he should be fine. Spencer Brown, however, has never been consistently good, or even competent. He's agile, but he gets beat on double moves. He's long, but he gets beaten around the corner. He's strong, but he gets rag-dolled. 

Brown was promising college player well worth a third-round pick. But he's never shown that he can be a starter, let alone the starter with no competition. Because of that, he is only player that can singlehandedly doom the entire season. He's that bad in a position that important on a team that good. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, finn said:

Agree. Dawkins has been a solid player throughout his career, so he should be fine. Spencer Brown, however, has never been consistently good, or even competent. He's agile, but he gets beat on double moves. He's long, but he gets beaten around the corner. He's strong, but he gets rag-dolled. 

Brown was promising college player well worth a third-round pick. But he's never shown that he can be a starter, let alone the starter with no competition. Because of that, he is only player that can singlehandedly doom the entire season. He's that bad in a position that important on a team that good. 

Yea on his holding call on Davis king ball -

he SHOULD not be looking like that as frequently as he does at this point. He’s a backup 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

-I had a party
-I drank

Didn't watch any part of the game.

You were the smart one.

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Do the players get to tell the coaches they sucked too?

Most of them probably not if they want to keep their jobs.  But the fans/press sure can. ;)

Edited by CodeMonkey
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I was expecting much more from the O-line this season - and in a small sample size, they looked worse.

They showed the KC & Bills highlights back to back on ESPN yesterday.  It was painfully easy to see how much more protection Mahomes has, and how much more time in the pocket.

2nd observation is that Kincaid is the real deal - looks to be a great draft pick.

3rd, even though it was not asked for, is that Elam may not be a starter.  Which isn't great.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Success said:

They showed the KC & Bills highlights back to back on ESPN yesterday.  It was painfully easy to see how much more protection Mahomes has, and how much more time in the pocket.

Not uncommon for teams with defense minded head coaches to see the D get more love off season, and show during the season.

But they did put some effort into the line this past off season.  Hopefully they just need more time together.

• Like (+1) 1

Team is again one and done again in the playoffs if it cant fix the horrible OL and LB issues.   

Looks no where near a SB contender at this point.  Bean whiffed on OL (outside Torrence) by failing to upgrade RT, and not trying Williams at MLB is a giant McD mistake.  LB coach said they drafted him in part for his smarts and don’t even try him there.   

4 minutes ago, Success said:

I was expecting much more from the O-line this season - and in a small sample size, they looked worse.

2nd observation is that Kincaid is the real deal - looks to be a great draft pick.

3rd, even though it was not asked for, is that Elam may not be a starter.  Which isn't great.

drafting Elam over OL when we had CB depth and a franchise QB to protect was a mistake, and even bigger one now. 

39 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

The Jets D must be salivating. 

Delvin Cook will be looking to hit a hone run again. 

Is the window closing? Is it time for change? 

I wouldn't try and prognosticate from the entrails of a preseason beast. It wasn't pretty, but it also wasn't dispositive. 

I indicated already what I considered of perduring concern. The folks who enjoy misery and rapidly predict doom are in fine fettle.

It's a weird quirk to carry. The trolls are gleeful and the morose feel vindicated. If that's your holiday, have at it.

3 hours ago, BillsFooteball said:

1. RT is a huge  issue

2. MLB is a huge issue 

The rest I’m not so worried about. It concerns me that going into the season a SB caliber team before any injuries has 2 significant holes. Understanding cap restraints there has to be something once all cuts are made. 

I agree but hope we are wrong.  This would be the biggest fail since Beane got here, in my opinion.  Those were 2 of the 3 biggest off-season needs and were completely ignored.  He got the needed pass catcher in Kincaid, but that’s it.  Every other add wasn’t a need for this team to take a step forward 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

1) We looked disinterested and frankly, wimpy.

2) We are in trouble - Jets and Miami will cook this D.

Number one seems like the Cincy game.  Excuses were given for that, and “preseason “ given for this.   Can’t wait to see wha tactually happens in the reg season and postseason.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JROC INTEL said:

I noticed Josh looked super antsy also. I have some confidence that will ease but it was jarring to see that again for sure

I think they scared the hell out of him to not do anything to get touched or hurt. The scramble he had, he literally stopped and turned around instead of just running forward. 

I think the game plan from the coach was "you can play, but don't get dirty." 

• Agree 1

1.) I can't get out of my head what I saw on Twitter after the game: The start to that game looked A LOT like the Bengals playoff game. 
2.) That was the most disorganized, undisciplined, and ineffective I've seen this team look under Sean McDermott -- preseason or not.

I'm trying hard not to overreact to one preseason game, particularly when this roster is so talented and coach McDermott has a track record of 10+ win seasons. It's almost impossible for me to believe that a team this good, with this good a quarterback, and a good head coach...could possibly be as bad as they looked yesterday. But what if they are? 

I'm waiting for something to wash the bad taste of the Bengals loss out of my mouth, but yesterday's game certainly was not that thing.

I'm normally the most optimistic, glass-half-full Bills fan you'll ever meet, but doubts and worries are starting to creep in. Something just seems...off....with this team. It's a subtle, intangible thing, but...I can't shake the feeling.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

1.) I can't get out of my head what I saw on Twitter after the game: The start to that game looked A LOT like the Bengals playoff game. 
2.) That was the most disorganized, undisciplined, and ineffective I've seen this team look under Sean McDermott -- preseason or not.

I'm trying hard not to overreact to one preseason game, particularly when this roster is so talented and coach McDermott has a track record of 10+ win seasons. It's almost impossible for me to believe that a team this good, with this good a quarterback, and a good head coach...could possibly be as bad as they looked yesterday. But what if they are? 

I'm waiting for something to wash the bad taste of the Bengals loss out of my mouth, but yesterday's game certainly was not that thing.

I'm normally the most optimistic, glass-half-full Bills fan you'll ever meet, but doubts and worries are starting to creep in. Something just seems...off....with this team. It's a subtle, intangible thing, but...I can't shake the feeling.

I blame Marge.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

right now Pit has a better WR group, better OL, DL, LB and secondary.  Pickett is very good.  

AFCN may end up being the toughest division in the NFL, by far, if the Browns get anything from Watson. 

2 hours ago, JDubya76 said:

OK, I just finished watching. Oooooofffff

GOOD: Some of our most recent draft picks looked really good. Cybo and Kinkaid in particular. I am very hopeful that Cybo stays healthy in the trenches. Kinkaid is going to be elite.

BAD: Offensive line play during the final 1/2 of last season was porous to say the least. If the line play this season stays the same or, god forbid, mirrors what happened yesterday, Josh is going to get hurt. AGAIN. It all starts up front, they need to keep him from running for his life every time he drops back. I am astounded that it is not management’s priority to protect their 1/4 billion dollar QB and that they are happy picking linemen from other teams lost and found boxes to do the job.

The laugh reaction is solely for the 'lost and found' remark. 🤣

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.