Bills linked to Jason Peters

DJB

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Dallas and Chicago didn't release Peters..........they had no control over Peters..........he signed one year deals and became a free agent as soon as the season ended.

You understand how this works, right?

He and Ndamukong Suh are two freaks of nature that are much older than anyone else at their positions but have continually proven they can step in WHENEVER and play good football.    

They just have no interest in spending the offseason required to attend team activities or training camp.   They have both just been picking and choosing when they want to play and whether they want to play with the interested teams.    

You're being disingenuous now. You know how this works. Peters was available after his contracts ended.   They didn't resign him. 

11 hours ago, Rico said:

He had a mean streak, I can see how people were fooled by him. :pirate:  

51829391-arizona-cardinals-v-buffalo-bil

"I'm hongry, damn it!"

offensive-tackle-mike-williams-of-the-bu

"I've gotta drop a deuce, damn it!"

Actually, he seemed like a very nice guy. When he was in NYC for the draft he went into a firehouse and was joking around with the firemen not so long after 911.  They all seemed to really like him.

The thing is, Williams was a RT in college (never played LT to my knowledge) and came into the league with an ankle injury. People said "no problem, his college QB was left handed." Yeah, OK. In college, he was at least twice as strong as any defender he faced but as we know, this matters less in the pros.

McKinnie otoh was great. Yes he had an off field issue or two but he was a fantastic LT. I remember being up in Buffalo for a game and Univ. of Miami was playing Syracuse that Saturday. McKinnie DEMOLISHED Dwight Freeney the entire game to the extent that I thought that Freeney was way overrated (and he turned out to be an excellent NFL player). Donohoe seemed to hate McKinnie and took "Big Mike" instead. McKinnie could have been our LT for 15 years or so.

So there it is. We walked away from McKinnie and traded Jason Peters. It's really hard to believe. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

You're being disingenuous now. You know how this works. Peters was available after his contracts ended.   They didn't resign him. 

No you apparently really don't know how this works.

Why would you presume that Peters wants to re-sign with the team he played for that season and then go thru offseason activities and training camp?

Not only does he have no interest in offseason team activities or training camp he knows that if he signs a contract and then doesn't show up at the team facility he's setting a bad example.........and his reputation is as a great teammate who goes out of his way to mentor younger players.   Those actions don't align.

What guys like Peters and Suh are doing is well documented and not new practice for veterans in the NFL.

They don't want to commit to playing again every offseason until all they have to do is show up and play games..........and then they pick and choose the best fit for them where there is mutual interest AT THAT TIME.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, CSBill said:

Unfortunately, a "sign' of the apocalypse from the book of Revelation, not a future blessing.

2 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

If he'd kept the problem to 40 days and 40 nights, I would've been fine with it...

52 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Actually, he seemed like a very nice guy. When he was in NYC for the draft he went into a firehouse and was joking around with the firemen not so long after 911.  They all seemed to really like him.

The thing is, Williams was a RT in college (never played LT to my knowledge) and came into the league with an ankle injury. People said "no problem, his college QB was left handed." Yeah, OK. In college, he was at least twice as strong as any defender he faced but as we know, this matters less in the pros.

McKinnie otoh was great. Yes he had an off field issue or two but he was a fantastic LT. I remember being up in Buffalo for a game and Univ. of Miami was playing Syracuse that Saturday. McKinnie DEMOLISHED Dwight Freeney the entire game to the extent that I thought that Freeney was way overrated (and he turned out to be an excellent NFL player). Donohoe seemed to hate McKinnie and took "Big Mike" instead. McKinnie could have been our LT for 15 years or so.

So there it is. We walked away from McKinnie and traded Jason Peters. It's really hard to believe. 

The mishandling of high draft picks and sending their best players off to other teams were hallmarks of the end of the Wilson era, but so was signing big name FAs like Mario Williams and Terrell Owens to put butts in the seats rather than to make the team better.  It's why I don't whine about Beane like so many others on this board.  I'll take honest -- if sometimes unsuccessful --  attempts to build a winning team any day over the crap show Bills fans suffered through prior to 2018.   There is nobody ever associated with the NFL I loathe more than Russ Brandon.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

The mishandling of high draft picks and sending their best players off to other teams were hallmarks of the end of the Wilson era, but so was signing big name FAs like Mario Williams and Terrell Owens to put butts in the seats rather than to make the team better.  It's why I don't whine about Beane like so many others on this board.  I'll take honest -- if sometimes unsuccessful --  attempts to build a winning team any day over the crap show Bills fans suffered through prior to 2018.   There is nobody ever associated with the NFL I loathe more than Russ Brandon.

Let me get this straight . You like bad rather than worst? Boy you set the level pretty high.

• Eyeroll 1

40 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What guys like Peters and Suh are doing is well documented and not new practice for veterans in the NFL.

They don't want to commit to playing again every offseason until all they have to do is show up and play games..........and then they pick and choose the best fit for them where there is mutual interest AT THAT TIME.  

Bruce hated training camp IIRC and some fans/media took issue with that.  Guy still went out that and got it done into his 40s because he didn't need the discipline and practice of training camp.  His personal training habits were enough.

Reminds me of regular Army people I knew that disliked the special operations community.  Thought they were undisciplined, but when bad things happened they were the best suited to handle them.  

• Like (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Bruce hated training camp IIRC and some fans/media took issue with that.  Guy still went out that and got it done into his 40s because he didn't need the discipline and practice of training camp.  His personal training habits were enough.

But that happened after he joined the Bills, Talley got on him and got him to train properly [and apparently Carmen [his college counselor and eventual wife helped]]

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No you apparently really don't know how this works.

Why would you presume that Peters wants to re-sign with the team he played for that season and then go thru offseason activities and training camp?

Not only does he have no interest in offseason team activities or training camp he knows that if he signs a contract and then doesn't show up at the team facility he's setting a bad example.........and his reputation is as a great teammate who goes out of his way to mentor younger players.   Those actions don't align.

He signed in mid August with the Bears. He signed 1 year contracts with the Eagles in 2017, 2019 and 2020--all between March and Mid July.  Attended each camp.

Suh signed with the Rams in March of 2018 and the Bucks in May 2019.  He again signed with them in March of 2020 and again in April 2021--that's 3 offseasons he signed on for in a row on 1 year contracts...."with the team that he played for that season", before training camps started.

6 hours ago, BearNorth said:

But that happened after he joined the Bills, Talley got on him and got him to train properly [and apparently Carmen [his college counselor and eventual wife helped]]

Bruce the rookie in '85 versus the guy by 1990 who was NFL Defensive POY are two different animals.  Heck, he was DPOY at 33 in 1996.  Didn't need training camp.

People lose site of the fact that after a ruptured achilles, Peters came back to be 1st Team All Pro in 2013 as a 31 year old and followed it up as a 2nd Teamer at 32.

Common denominator is guys like this know how to get it done because they know their body well enough.  Both didn't need camp to be in shape and ready. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He signed in mid August with the Bears. He signed 1 year contracts with the Eagles in 2017, 2019 and 2020--all between March and Mid July.  Attended each camp.

Suh signed with the Rams in March of 2018 and the Bucks in May 2019.  He again signed with them in March of 2020 and again in April 2021--that's 3 offseasons he signed on for in a row on 1 year contracts...."with the team that he played for that season", before training camps started.

And Suh decided to wait until midseason to join a SB contender last year.    And says he has turned down the 49ers this offseason but is contemplating another mid-season return.

These guys haven't been desperate to sign on the dotted line in the offseason for years. 

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And Suh decided to wait until midseason to join a SB contender last year.    And says he has turned down the 49ers this offseason but is contemplating another mid-season return.  

These guys haven't been desperate to sign on the dotted line in the offseason for years. 

I've already showed you that is simply not true.   Despite you "knowing how this goes", you didn't know these guy routinely took one year offers before, during, and toward the end of training camp.  Why double down on a falsehood so easily disproven?

Anyway, Suh says he hung out because he had little kids last season.  In that video, he doesn't mention any offers he turned down LAST year before the Eagles gave him a call. 

23 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I've already showed you that is simply not true.   Despite you "knowing how this goes", you didn't know these guy routinely took one year offers before, during, and toward the end of training camp.  Why double down on a falsehood so easily disproven?

Anyway, Suh says he hung out because he had little kids last season.  In that video, he doesn't mention any offers he turned down LAST year before the Eagles gave him a call. 

So you are saying Peters signed in mid-July, mid-August and is contemplating another return here on August 21.............and you think that his intention was to be available for the entire offseason and OTA's?    Are you really that f*cking daft or back on the denial train like you were about Peters being a future HOF'er?

Suh will return at some point this year and that will be two years of starting his season in-season........with no camp at all.

Did I say they've been doing this for 10 years or something?  Try to keep up, really.:rolleyes:

You said these guys don’t sign until after camp and preseason. That’s wrong.   Of course they do—they both did it 3 times in the past 5 seasons of short contracts. 5 times between March and July.  

What’s the hard part to understand?  You made  a poorly sourced statement.  Move on. 

Edited by Mr. WEO

11 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Would it make more sense to sign Peters  after 1st regular season game to avoid having his cap hit for whole year if part of roster opening day?

If thats how the cap calculation works, then sure. I can only hope that McBeane have a gentlemen's agreement with a post-dated contract already signed. 

I will feel much better about the OL if he was on the team.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/19/2023 at 11:38 PM, AuntieEm said:

He had a contract to play RT once he showed at LT he was underpaid.  I hated him forcing his way out of Buffali but I couldn't fault him who knows how much quicker the drought would have ended if he remained a Bill had they reworked his deal fairly.  Easily could have made difference in making playoffs. 

Sorry, that argument doesn't play.  When a contract is signed, its a deal.  Upside and downside risk for each side.  Peters could have gotten hurt for the last 2 years on the contract and still got paid..  That would have been a big loss to the Bills.  Expecting a new deal becasue it worked out better because of his performance, well, that was his downside and the Bills gain.  He voided that contract w bad attitude and great dsirespect for what a contract is.  Its always "fair" at the time of signing.  It can go either way after that in terms of who benefits.  Again, he broke trust with the Bills mafia.  I have considered him w/o character since that episode.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, bigK14094 said:

Sorry, that argument doesn't play.  When a contract is signed, its a deal.  Upside and downside risk for each side.  Peters could have gotten hurt for the last 2 years on the contract and still got paid..  That would have been a big loss to the Bills.  Expecting a new deal becasue it worked out better because of his performance, well, that was his downside and the Bills gain.  He voided that contract w bad attitude and great dsirespect for what a contract is.  Its always "fair" at the time of signing.  It can go either way after that in terms of who benefits.  Again, he broke trust with the Bills mafia.  I have considered him w/o character since that episode.

In Peters case the change in job status warranted a change in contract, both times. If any situation caused the Ralph is cheap talk, this was the time. 

At the time there was a lot of  "do you think you know more than the Bills do" on the old message board. I admit I did think I knew more than the Bills did. I knew more than the Bills did for 17 long years.

If you lowball a player of Peters talent, then you will get a team of low talent. That is disrespect for the Bills mafia.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

That's a Hall of Famer w/o character.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Actually a non-guaranteed contract is kind of one sided. Peters just made himself a side. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 8/21/2023 at 10:12 PM, Fan in Chicago said:

If thats how the cap calculation works, then sure. I can only hope that McBeane have a gentlemen's agreement with a post-dated contract already signed. 

I will feel much better about the OL if he was on the team.  

He would be in camp if that was the deal.  Then he would be cut an then signed again after week 1. 

No way there is an agreement in place. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

This stinks of old guy 'athletes make too much' attitude, while completely ignoring the DEMAND and ability to generate that money. Usually this voice thinks they're standing up to the big man, when in reality, they're standing up for the enormous man (billionaires, with a B).

"That's what a contract is", nonsense. What happens if a player looks like ass, does the team just pay out huge $$ while they're buried on depth chart? Nope! They cut them. It's a two way street. If a contract stinks, for anybody, the reality is one side or the other will alter it.

If teams want to get players to honor their full contract no matter what, then they can talk to the NFLPA about fully guaranteed contracts.... oh wait, that won't happen in a billion years. You're arguing for the billionaires to have the advantage of a one way street lol 🤡

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

Actually a non-guaranteed contract is kind of one sided. Peters just made himself a side. 

Everyone has the option to take the best offer. If that is the best offer, it’s their decision. That’s why they all want $$$ upfront and guarantees, but if nobody else is offering more, the market has spoken. 

4 hours ago, CouldBe said:

In Peters case the change in job status warranted a change in contract, both times. If any situation caused the Ralph is cheap talk, this was the time. 

At the time there was a lot of  "do you think you know more than the Bills do" on the old message board. I admit I did think I knew more than the Bills did. I knew more than the Bills did for 17 long years.

If you lowball a player of Peters talent, then you will get a team of low talent. That is disrespect for the Bills mafia.

Meh.  Eagles were 1-5 in playoff games with him as starter.  In 2017, they won 10 of their next 12 games, including the SB, with Peters's backup in his spot.   In his 12 years there, the Eagles had 7 winning seasons.  When he missed the season in 2012, they won 4 games.  When he played half the season in. 2020, the won 4 games (1 with him starting).

The Bills would have had no different history had he finished his career there.

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

Did anyone sign him yet?

He's waiting until week 18.....

27 minutes ago, Augie said:

Everyone has the option to take the best offer. If that is the best offer, it’s their decision. That’s why they all want $$$ upfront and guarantees, but if nobody else is offering more, the market has spoken. 

And Peters spoke back.  He did not do anything unethical at all. 

• Agree 3

Just now, Chaos said:

And Peters spoke back.  He did not do anything unethical at all. 

I didn’t LIKE it, but I had no question of ethics. What does the contract both sides signed allow? That’s all that really counts when you get down to it.

Loyalty to your team is never expected when athletes talk about their money. They always say it’s a business, you do what you think is best for you and your family. And I won’t even kid about loyalty to fans. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, CouldBe said:

Considering the "old message board" was closed out and patients let out of asylum without having psychiatrists visit them regularly to update their medication.

Players are demoted for lack of effort often and do not pay back money already guaranteed so it should be same for players who perform more than which is expected.  Maybe he should have complained to agent that he did not have incentive clause written in contract.

37 minutes ago, Doc said:

Did anyone sign him yet?

Social Security signed him as a spokesman.

8 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Considering the "old message board" was closed out and patients let out of asylum without having psychiatrists visit them regularly to update their medication.

Players are demoted for lack of effort often and do not pay back money already guaranteed so it should be same for players who perform more than which is expected.  Maybe he should have complained to agent that he did not have incentive clause written in contract.

I agree it was an asylum, There were no psychiatrists involved. At least in my case.

8 hours ago, CouldBe said:

Regardless of the fact Peters had a valid argument about the contract, the thing that turned me against him was when he essentially admitted that he was sulking on the field about it and it affected his play. HOF talent or not, have some pride and be a professional... or at least lie about it.

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.