Former Buffalo Great OJ Howard Cut by Raiders

BuffaloBillyG

Didn't even make it until final cuts this year on a team that moved on from their top 2 TEs from last year. (Waller/Moreau). Shame to see injuries derail what could have been a great career. Bad signing last year by Beane but at least he didn't compound it by keeping him around. 

• Sad 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I was SURE that he was going to be a star coming out of Alabama. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Same, though no telling how he would have turned out had he not followed the Sammy Watkins career path. Hate to see guys with so much promise not live up to what could have been after injuries.

• Agree 2

30 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I was SURE that he was going to be a star coming out of Alabama. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Same here and I would have bet money on it. He had a difficult enough time coming back from the less severe injuries like high ankle sprains, but the ruptured achilles early in the 2020 season proved to be too much. He was just never the same athlete after that. I give him credit for trying though.

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Beast said:

It really needs to be asked, much like the wrong Josh at QB, do we have the wrong OJ on the wall of fame?

came here to make same joke, well done Beast

29 minutes ago, T master said:

This thing just blows me away a guy so freaking good in college & seemed to have so much talent to build on just can't even stick with a team as a 3rd TE - WOW ...

tbf he played on a pretty great college team.  im a huge alabama fan, but always wary about drafting their skill players because they dont often live up to the hype

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Didn't even make it until final cuts this year on a team that moved on from their top 2 TEs from last year. (Waller/Moreau). Shame to see injuries derail what could have been a great career. Bad signing last year by Beane but at least he didn't compound it by keeping him around. 

Buffalo Great?

• Haha (+1) 3

4 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Kincade may have more catches in training camp than Howard does in his career.

129??? 

Howard averaged 500 yards and 5 tds his first 2 years. I also loved him college and all accounts are he’s a great dude. People who laugh at others failing, especially because of injuries, are such losers. 

• Agree 3

17 hours ago, K-9 said:

Same here and I would have bet money on it. He had a difficult enough time coming back from the less severe injuries like high ankle sprains, but the ruptured achilles early in the 2020 season proved to be too much. He was just never the same athlete after that. I give him credit for trying though.

Do WRs/TEs ever come back fully from achilles injuries?   I can't think of one.  

19 hours ago, Airseven said:

Never fully recovered from the injury.

Its wild and it shows that the draft can be a crapshoot - not only based on the player’s ability to translate into the NFL but circumstances like injuries etc.  

I remember that coming out of the draft in 2017 there were analysts who said Howard was a “can’t miss” prospect at TE.  

His early years showed promise but after a few injuries and the torn ACL he was a shell of himself.

”Can’t miss” prospect in 2017

Career likely over in 2023.

The life of an NFL player 

6 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Yes. I have him firmly in the "Top 5 Bills All-Time Named OJ list". 

That’s the sad thing about Simpson is if he wasn’t a POS, his single season record is the greatest of all time.  I looked up Jim Brown in 12 games and all the 2000 yards guys as pretty much everyone was 16 games and no one did what OJ did in 14 games.  No one ever.  The crazy thing kid for years everyone knew he was coming and 8 in the box and he still did it.

Talk about the ultimate goof for a Bills fan.  You have the greatest single season performance better than Jim Brown, Gale Sayers, Sweetness, the dancer in Detroit, and he’s ends up a murderer and everyone has disdain.  Only in Buffalo.  Talk about a lunch pail, time to make the donuts mentality as we don’t even get that one.

Maybe Josh does something so unique once he’s 40 we get our unicorn.  It would be nice as there is no better fan base in all of sports, any sports!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.