MLB Battle

akcash

Spector

Dodson

Bernard

Outside hire

Klein- insurance

I believe this is a two horse race with the definite possibility we sign somebody or Klein starts week one. I think Beane try's to unload Bernard somewhere. I'm hoping Spector wins. 

Didn't see a thread for this discussion.

Edited by akcash
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, akcash said:

Spector

Dotson

Bernard

Outside hire

Klein- insurance

I believe this is a two horse race with the definite possibility we sign somebody or Klein starts week one. I think Beane try's to unload Bernard somewhere. I'm hoping Spector wins. 

Didn't see a thread for this discussion.

Wow, you gathered all this from like 4 padless practices? Impressive.

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Haha (+1) 4

Spector ain't it. He looked lost last year in PS.  I hope I'm wrong. 

Dotson is solid, has potential for a stop gap at the least but is capable of starting.

Klein is capable of starting, smart, and able to mesh with the defense.

Bernard ia a wildcard

The rookie dude starting this year terrified me.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, akcash said:

I seen enough from these three linebackers last year to get an ideas what's gonna happen.

And none of them could have improved? None of them could have picked up anything over the course of last year to get better? Interesting. By the way these were their snap counts from last year:

Dodson-276

Spector-86

Bernard-254

Keeping in mind those were mixed with some ST snaps and not all on defense...that's impressive that you can tell their fate from such a small body of work. Wow.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

And none of them could have improved? None of them could have picked up anything over the course of last year to get better? Interesting. By the way these were their snap counts from last year:

Dodson-276

Spector-86

Bernard-254

Keeping in mind those were mixed with some ST snaps and not all on defense...that's impressive that you can tell their fate from such a small body of work. Wow.

Did you watch Bernard play last year?

they were mostly ST reps because he was a third round pick. He played 2 games and didn't play very good on defense. Hes too small there is no way he is playing MLB. And Spector is bigger and more explosive and from watching the games has better instincts and shedding ability.

He shedded Quinton Nelson last year (week 1 preseason game) in a head on collision at full speed. Bernard could never do that.

Edited by akcash
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 3

33 minutes ago, boyst said:

Dotson is solid, has potential for a stop gap at the least but is capable of starting.

Bernard ia a wildcard

The reviews of Spector from Day 3 of camp had him looking good.  Players can improve in their 2nd year.

Of course, looking good in a padless practice, or any practice, and looking good in a game….Two words “Nathan Peterman”

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

As far as I know he's not part of the selection process, but Astro in his latest camp notes said Bernard looks too small to be an MLB. Now, this is early in camp and I think Astro may be a of a different vintage than some fans (and coaches) so as much as I appreciate his write-ups, I hope he's wrong about that. Spector is 6' 233 lb. so he ain't no old-school thumper either. 

I'd like to Williams mature this year and get a shot at the spot in 2024.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I think Klein is going to be it. I am hoping the young guns show up, but Dodson and Bernard looked hopeless last year in their limited snaps. Something really needs to click for those guys. 

Interesting take. I never would have went there. If you're right, that shows that McDermott will sacrifice considerable athleticism in that position for instincts. I assumed they want an MLB with some quickness and ability to neutralize the pass game. I don't think Klein is that player in today's game.

But Klein could get it. If so, I doubt it lasts more than this year, but who knows.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

This could be a post from 2 months ago, and it would still be wild speculation/best guess.

Need to wait for the pads to go on.  About the only thing you can gage now is ability to put defense in the right calls, positioning/responsibilities, pass coverage drops (which we know we have more small/athletic types), and leadership/command.  

Ultimately I think the job will be Dodson's.  He'll check more boxes, IMO, to handle early downs and 3rd downs.  But I wouldn't be surprised, and actually looking forward to seeing, if Coach has more sub-packages this year (ie: Bernard or Dorian, or more dime with Rapp) on obvious passing downs.

• Like (+1) 1

They want it to be Dorian - but he might not be ready.  So let him back up Milano.  He might be best suited for that as of now.

Pads are truth serum for trench play and our LBs.  I really put extremely little stock in reports on how these groups are doing minus pads.  

But my gut tells me it will be Dodson.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

No love for Dorian Williams in here?

He’s my hope- but I think getting up to speed and calling the defense will be too much to overcome.

After him, I hope it’s Spector.  He’s a much more realistic option imo.  Dodson vs the pass is not something I want to witness very much 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, boyst said:

Bernard ia a wildcard

Spector is a fan favorite, but I don't see him making the roster this season. At most we're going to keep 6 LB's. A lot of times we've only kept 5. But that was when we had to Pro Bowl caliber starters in Edmunds and Milano. With the dropoff at MLB this season (as well as investing another Day 2 pick on a LB), I think we keep an extra this season. But Spector is still the odd man out to me.

Milano is an All Pro and the one sure fire starter we have, he's obviously locked in. Bernard and Williams are Day 2 Draft investments, one a Rookie and the other going into just his 2nd season. So neither are going anywhere (regardless of what anyone here thinks of Bernard). Matakevitch is Captain of the Special Teams, so he's also safe.

Then it's Dodson, Klein, and Spector. I think Klein, Dodson, and Bernard will represent who will be manning MLB for us. One will start, not sure who, and we may cycle between them to keep one fresh at all times since there's a talent drop off. 

But yeah, I think Spector's Practice Squad bound this season. The LB core of the 53 will almost surely be Milano, Bernard, Williams, Dodson, Klein, and Matakevitch, in my opinion.

54 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Beane said in his last Presser that he's not going to be playing MLB this season. He's going to be Milano's backup. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing because when Milano needs a breather or if he gets banged up, we haven't had someone capable back there.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Contrary to unofficial narratives here, Williams is a WLB and will back up Milano.  He's got no realistic chance to play MLB. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Dodson-276

Spector-86

Bernard-254

Defensive Counts: 

Dodson:  220 

Bernard:  110 

Spector:    12  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

14 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Then it's Dodson, Klein, and Spector. I think Klein, Dodson, and Bernard will represent who will be manning MLB for us. One will start, not sure who, and we may cycle between them to keep one fresh at all times since there's a talent drop off. 

But yeah, I think Spector's Practice Squad bound this season. The LB core of the 53 will almost surely be Milano, Bernard, Williams, Dodson, Klein, and Matakevitch, in my opinion.

Klein has reportedly been running with the 3rd team. He has probably been guaranteed a PS spot as a "break glass in case of emergency" player. No chance he makes the final roster IMO. It's going to be Spector and the other 5 players you mentioned. You don't give a player a full day of 1st team reps and then cut him.

• Agree 3

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Klein has reportedly been running with the 3rd team. He has probably been guaranteed a PS spot as a "break glass in case of emergency" player. No chance he makes the final roster IMO. It's going to be Spector and the other 5 players you mentioned. You don't give a player a full day of 1st team reps and then cut him.

Or they want to see what each of the young guys bring to the table there early in Camp, already knowing what they have in Klein. It's just as likely of a scenario that they've already determined he's not going to Start for us but will be a steady veteran backup. Players given reps with 1's at a position in Training Camp during a battle and then not making the roster is not unheard of. Especially if he's one of 3 being cycled through and this early in Camp. Doubly so for a 7th Rounder who had 12 snaps in the prior season.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

26 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Or they want to see what each of the young guys bring to the table there early in Camp, already knowing what they have in Klein.

I mean they've never done that before. 1st team caliber players get time with the 1st team. They don't give players a whole day at the top of the depth chart just to "see what they bring to the table." I suspect Spector will get a full day of 1st team reps again on Tuesday in line with the rotation they've followed. Unless he totally craps the bed his roster spot is a lock. Klein is an afterthought.

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Still makes me sick that two years in a row Beane has drafted a small LB in the third round. There was no need for a backup to Milano. Whoever isn’t the starting MLB will be the backup for both spots.
Could have added an OT or WR with one of those picks.

I'm with ya, and it is mystifying, but let's be honest, drafting obviously isn't our strength.  But if Kincaid is the Kelce clone that we're all hoping he is, and if Torrence turns into an above average G quickly, we can consider it a good draft even if none of the other draftees are here in two seasons.  

The offense is what's going to carry our team this season most likely, even during the regular season.  Expect the D to drop significantly in the rankings, but with the #1 or #2 Offense they could land us a championship.  

My personal choice is Klein, Spector, Bernard, then Dodson.

People need to go watch the Cleveland game from last year.  I think Dodson was the worst player in the entire league.

Klein was actually good last year when he played.  I thought he did well in the Det game.  Out played Milano.

5 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I'm with ya, and it is mystifying, but let's be honest, drafting obviously isn't our strength.  But if Kincaid is the Kelce clone that we're all hoping he is, and if Torrence turns into an above average G quickly, we can consider it a good draft even if none of the other draftees are here in two seasons.  

The offense is what's going to carry our team this season most likely, even during the regular season.  Expect the D to drop significantly in the rankings, but with the #1 or #2 Offense they could land us a championship.  

So, with a healthy Poyer and Hyde this year, the addition of Floyd, Ford and Rapp, Tre being even further removed from his injury, Benford and Elam being in year 2 and the whole removal of Leslie Frasier...you expect a significant dropoff? 

Funny how 2 people can look at the same info and get 2 completely different answers. Time will tell.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Still makes me sick that two years in a row Beane has drafted a small LB in the third round. There was no need for a backup to Milano. Whoever isn’t the starting MLB will be the backup for both spots.
Could have added an OT or WR with one of those picks.

Based on everything Beane/McDermott have said over the past 5-6 months, this team is clearly moving away from the traditional MLB.  

They DO NOT CARE about size.  I'm not sure why so many fans are struggling to catch-on.

This team has drafted three linebackers in the past two years.  Terrell Bernard, Baylon Spector and Dorian Williams.

All are closer to the Matt Milano mold.  And newsflash... Milano isn't going anywhere.

The plan is to have two Milano-type LBs on the field in most of our base sets.  It's probably been the plan since Tremaine Edmunds walked out the door.

Not sure if one of the young guys will be ready to start Week 1, because they want someone who can run the defensive huddle and communicate assignments.  That is why Tyrell Dodson is in the mix to start, and AJ Klein was signed as backup insurance.  But eventually (probably this season), one of those three guys almost certainly will be taking over the MLB.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

So, with a healthy Poyer and Hyde this year, the addition of Floyd, Ford and Rapp, Tre being even further removed from his injury, Benford and Elam being in year 2 and the whole removal of Leslie Frasier...you expect a significant dropoff? 

Poyer did not have surgery by my understanding.  Hyde had a back/neck issue and those have a nasty little habit of recurring.  Both Benford and Elam have a pretty sizable jump to get to even average starter status.  Let's hope that their "year 2" jump is better than what we've typically gotten from our draft picks.  Floyd, Ford, Rapp we'll see.  Rapp should be very good.  I don't understand any particular excitement over Ford who won't even start.  Floyd seems primarily destined to keep Miller's spot warm.  Speaking of which, you forgot to mention Miller.  Assuming that he comes back full strength, which is a huge questionmark, he's still on the cusp of aging out.  The combination could be two much.  With Floyd in for Miller we'll be somewhere between what we were there with Miller and having no reliable consistent pass-rusher.  

Either way, there's likely to be a huge unsolved hole in the middle of our D that IMO people are significantly discounting the impact of.  

No comment on the statement about the Offense?  You think they can lead the league also?  

IMO, whatever they lose on D they'll make up for on O.  

28 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Funny how 2 people can look at the same info and get 2 completely different answers. Time will tell.

Isn't it though.  ;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.