Sean Payton on Broncos 2022 Season - Wow

Beck Water

I gotta find the rest of this interview and listen 👀🍿

“There’s so much dirt around that. There’s 20 dirty hands, for what was allowed, tolerated in the fricking training rooms, the meeting rooms. The offense. I don’t know Hackett. A lot of people had dirt on their hands. It wasn’t just Russell. He didn’t just flip. He still has it. This B.S. that he hit a wall? Shoot, they couldn’t get a play in. They were 29th in the league in pre-snap penalties on both sides of the ball.”

“It doesn’t happen often where an NFL team or organization gets embarrassed,” Payton said. “And that happened here. Part of it was their own fault, relative to spending so much (expletive) time trying to win the offseason – the PR, the pomp and circumstance, marching people around and all this stuff. We’re not doing any of that.”

“It might have been one of the worst coaching jobs in the history of the NFL. That’s how bad it was.”

Wow.  Just....Wow. 

I guess when you're Sean Payton, you aren't too worried about burning bridges in the "small world" of the NFL.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Talk about being candid and open! 

Of course Hackett has to be blamed but someone in that organization interviewed him, looked at his track record and still thought he is worthy of being a HC. I also blame the idiots who hired him into that position 

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Of course Hackett has to be blamed but someone in that organization interviewed him, looked at his track record and still thought he is worthy of being a HC. I also blame the idiots who hired him into that position 

and wasn’t a big part of the Hackett hire trying to entice Aaron Rodgers out of Green Bay?

3 minutes ago, mrags said:

I’ll say this. He better know what he’s doing and get results. With all the crap he’s talking of he ends up looking even remotely similar to last year he might as well hang up his clipboard 

Yeah! And take his chalkboard home too!

• Haha (+1) 1

The Bills had some REALLY bad offensive coordinators during the drought.

But there was just something about Nate Hackett that was especially awful.

Not sure I could even put my finger on it, but I must say I was floored when the Broncos hired him last year. 

• Agree 7

9 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Did they get new idiots before hiring Payton? (Serious question.)

Shocked that he was that open, in part to defend Russ I’m sure. Build him back up. But that felt like some bridge burning there, and you never know when how or when that might affect you in some way. That did not feel professional, IMO. 

Edited by Augie

10 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

John Elway?

Destroying Hackett as a HC last season is entirely justified. He was COMPLETELY unprepared for the scope of the job. For the layers of details and logistics and planning and organization. As suggested by Payton, the Broncos struggled just to RUN a professional NFL offense play-to-play, making substitutions and getting play calls delivered down the chain in time for the players to diagnose and execute (or even snap the ball at all). Early in the season, especially, it seemed almost unprecedentedly dysfunctional. 

That being said, there are MANY quality NFL coordinators who failed as head coaches. So it's still possible Hackett can be successful letting Aaron Rodgers run his GB offense in New Jersey. Might even be the best hire the Jets could have made at OC, with Rodgers aboard. Out with the LaFleur system (that Rodgers excelled in but didn't always love) and in with the overt Aaron Rodgers system (not hugely different, schematically, to be honest). 

5 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

After Denver used a 1st round pick on Payton? That would look even more foolish. 

All I’m saying is he will look pretty bad if he’s talked all this chit and they don’t  look any better than they did last year. 

• Agree 1

It’s really not too surprising when you think about it in the context of Payton’s history. He’s not saying anything that others haven’t thought, he’s just saying it out loud. His willingness to call out the league in a way that rubs it’s nose in its stupidity, consequences be damned, killed the Saints for years. 

I hope Payton is correct. I also hope to see the Broncos crash and burn as well.

I've always thought of him as the most overrated coach of modern times. Yes, he has a Super Bowl (oddly enough the only SB was in the Katrina aftermath🤔). Didn't take the Saints back. Bounty Gate. Had a hand in the Saints overspending for years then as soon as it looked like they were in for a few rough years...he bails and lines his pockets with a network job (of which I didn't think he was half bad at) and jumps right back into coaching somewhere else. Had to protect his career W/L record.

I will give credit to McVay. He pretty much did the same with the Rams by mortgaging their future for a SB...but at least he's seemingly seeing it through.

Never understood why folks would hate on a guy for his honesty. This is what we as NFL fans want, forget the vanilla responses, give us the dirt!

His statements about the coaching last year can still be 100% valid even if disappoint this year imho. We can evaluate what went wrong with his season afterwards, I don't think it will make his statements about the Bronco's last year any less valid. They were a coaching disaster and I was totally blown away that anyone would hire Hackett as a HC. That said... it would be difficult for Payton to not improve last years Broncos.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

By that you mean that he had a track record of Aaron Rodgers liking him and that hiring Hackett might lure him?  I think that is all the track record they looked at.  It couldn't have been his track record at Jacksonville and Buffalo.

7 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

By that you mean that he had a track record of Aaron Rodgers liking him and that hiring Hackett might lure him?  I think that is all the track record they looked at.  It couldn't have been his track record at Jacksonville and Buffalo.

Well he gets credit (deserved or not) for somehow squeezing a sort of decent season out of the otherwise completely inept Blake Bortles. I'm still not sure how that happened. 

22 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I gotta find the rest of this interview and listen 👀🍿

Wow.  Just....Wow. 

I guess when you're Sean Payton, you aren't too worried about burning bridges in the "small world" of the NFL.

Burning bridges with who?  Nate Hackett?  He's a bum.

At least Payton has the nuts to say what really was going on there.  It's what most football fans could plainly see.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Burning bridges with who?  Nate Hackett?  He's a bum.

At least Payton has the nuts to say what really was going on there.  It's what most football fans could plainly see.

This is an interesting comment from that Tweet:

"They were 29th in the league in pre-snap penalties on both sides of the ball."

Reminds me of past Bills teams; it's kind of an odd stat, taken on its own, but it tells you all you need to know about a football team in terms of professionalism, preparedness, coaching, practice habits, discipline, teamwork, and tons of other stuff.

That's a really good stat to pay attention to.

Call it the train wreck stat, if you will.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.