Name a random Bills player and one thing you remember about them

4 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Langston Walker & Derrick Dockery did not think Ralph was cheap.

I watched a game in which the Bills were playing in heavy rain and mud. Dockery was the only player on the field with a spotlessly clean uniform. His jersey looked like it just came from the dry cleaners.

The Bills at one time created some sort of column by Langston Walker. OK great, but he was a simply awful player! I mean wtf???

This thread has brought back some odd memories. When Ralph did spend money, it was usually spent in ridiculous ways, such as a huge contract for Jerry Ostroski or a big extension for Kelsay. We also had Levy "promise" not to tag Clements. 🙄 I mean, really?

Those were strange days indeed but looking back, those were actually funny times too in an odd way. :) 

16 hours ago, eball said:

I just found this article written in 2017 about the game.  Great read.

NFL Films did a piece on him not too long ago ("Barefoot in Buffalo: Todd Schlopy’s Journey From Kicking to Camerawork"). He became a Hollywood cameraman, and got a chance to film a Bills game back in 2021 (against the Commanders). It was a dream come true for him. They review that game and his role in it as well. Nice watch, only about 9 minutes long.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Dan in Owego said:

Marvcus Patten, i believe a 12th round draft pick from UCLA destroying everyone in one on ones at the 92 Fredonia training camp. Remember walking away thinking we had another stud.

Patton and I think his mom played LB for some woman's league too as I recall. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

That one was really strange. He had absolutely no known history of drug use or psychosis. From all reports he was a model stydent and a great kid at Alabama. 

The entire CK experience was odd, from start to finish. Second round pick that started 7 games in 3 seasons and was then released.... a true bust. 

46 minutes ago, Rubes said:

NFL Films did a piece on him not too long ago ("Barefoot in Buffalo: Todd Schlopy’s Journey From Kicking to Camerawork"). He became a Hollywood cameraman, and got a chance to film a Bills game back in 2021 (against the Commanders). It was a dream come true for him. They review that game and his role in it as well. Nice watch, only about 9 minutes long.

That was great!

• Like (+1) 1

Cyrus Kouandjio was found in a T-shirt without pants, but wearing underwear, wandering in a field after climbing over an electric fence on the 400, authorities said. When an Erie County Sheriff's deputy went to detain him, a police source said that the 6-foot-7, 322-pound Kouandjio yelled, "Shoot me!"

Derrick Holmes crushing it in a game against the Redskins back in the mid-90s, literally carrying multiple defenders with him into the end zone. After the game reporters asked him what inspired him to play so hard -- he replied that his brother had just been convicted of murder and was facing the death penalty.

TE Bobby Collins having his height and weight mis-reported in draft publications. The Bills were proud to do their "due diligence" and identify him as a "diamond in the rough". Not sure that he caught more than a handful of passes during his days in Buffalo.

Jason Peters went undrafted out of Arkansas. He was signed as an undrafted free agent as a Tight End. After a year or so playing on special teams and in gadget plays, he landed the starting RT position. The Bills signed him to a decent contract extension. They then promptly moved him to LT and slapped their backs for "buying low". We all know what happened next.

54 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The entire CK experience was odd, from start to finish. Second round pick that started 7 games in 3 seasons and was then released.... a true bust

One that I predicted btw. He was the 4th or 5th best blocker on the Crimson Tide that season, AND he was injured. I saw this coming and  posted as much on TSW.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I had to go back and look up his name but an obscure player I remember is Matt Stevens (DB) who made one huge hit and did pretty much nothing else in his time here. I was saddened to see that he was as high as a 3rd round pick. 

I remember him. He looked like he would be a great safety and was highly regarded. His only real problem was that he was woefully bad. :) 

1 minute ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I dont know if I should be happy or sad that you and I both remember him, considering he was so bad 😀

I was thinking the same thing my friend. :)

On that note, do you remember a left tackle we acquired from the Dolphins during the draught? He was rather thin for an OT and was a white guy. I can't remember his name or even the year that we had him, but I remember being suspicuious. Why would Miami give us a LT?

Well, he was the worst player that I ever saw in the NFL. This man was getting beaten and destroyed on every play. I would watch the games actually frightened that he was going to get a QB or even a RB seriously harmed, or even killed. Sadly, I'm not exaggerating. I just can't remember his name.

But as you say.....maybe I  should be happy. :)

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

House Ballard. He took me fishing on Lake Erie as a kid. Super nice guy. A true gentle giant.

Back when House was a starter on the team, he regularly dined at a restaurant out in Amherst that my sister was waitressing at.

He would come in with various other big guys on the team and they would sit down and have dinner.

My sister said House's routine was to pick out an entree on the menu, and then order 2 of them for himself.   

😀

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I was thinking the same thing my friend. :)

On that note, do you remember a left tackle we acquired from the Dolphins during the draught? He was rather thin for an OT and was a white guy. I can't remember his name or even the year that we had him, but I remember being suspicuious. Why would Miami give us a LT?

Well, he was the worst player that I ever saw in the NFL. This man was getting beaten and destroyed on every play. I would watch the games actually frightened that he was going to get a QB or even a RB seriously harmed, or even killed. Sadly, I'm not exaggerating. I just can't remember his name.

But as you say.....maybe I  should be happy. :)

So off the top of my head.  Kirk Chambers, Erik Pears or Sam Young are tall thin OTs that come to mind.   Young played  in Miami after he was with Bills.  Not sure where Chambers or Pears came from.  Pears started for Bills at RT and RG for a few years 

Edited by freddyjj

5 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

So off the top of my head.  Kirk Chambers, Erik Pears or Sam Young are tall thin OTs cone to mind.   Young played  in Miami after he was with Bills.  Not sure where Chambers or Pears came from.  Pears started for Bills at RT and RG for a few years 

I think I got it.......Greg Jerman! 

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

He also had beautiful hair.  And he wasn’t very good.

Terrance McGee had the greatest non-touchdown kickoff return in the history of football.

Don Smith scored the first Super Bowl TD in Bills history.

Holy crap.  I didn't know/remember this.  I didn't see the first Super Bowl because the army had other plans for me that day.  I never watched a replay because it would be too painful.  

• Like (+1) 1

Fred Jackson once rushed for more yards in a game than Marshawn Lynch in a game where Lynch rushed for more than 100 yards.  Fred's first 100 yard game in the NFL and my first live Bills game.  Large part of the reason he became my favorite player on offense.

Levitre-Wood-Wang once formed an offensive line core that really knew how to penetrate up the middle.

Aaron Williams deserved better.

Nobody still knows til this day how to spell or pronounce Jairus/Jarius Byrd, who threatened the single seaon INT record as a rookie CB converted to S.

• Like (+1) 2

Leonard Smith was one of the toughest Bills to ever play the game and he was passionate as hell... one of my absolute favorites and meeting him at a tailgate with Andre Reed in 1999 was just an amazing day.

front_8171686.jpg

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Holy crap.  I didn't know/remember this.  I didn't see the first Super Bowl because the army had other plans for me that day.  I never watched a replay because it would be too painful.  

Desert Storm, huh?  Were you over in the "sandbox?"  

Anyway, glad you made it home.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.