'Quarterback' on Netflix

Jukester

Watched two and 1/2 episodes and here are my impressions so far as it's a well done show.

-Mahomes and Allen seem to have the exact same personalities on the field.  They can get overly emotional during a game and that can be a good or bad thing depending on the circumstance.

-Kirk Cousins is the most interesting of the three.  If Mr. Rodgers was born in '88 and played QB he'd be Kirk Cousins.  Tough as hell though, a hard worker, and an easy guy to root for considering he was a 4th round pick in the same draft the Redskins took RG3.  YOU LIKE THAT

-Marcus Mariota is a pretty reserved kid who comes across as boring.

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/13/2023 at 1:58 AM, Thrivefourfive said:

Do we want JA17 watching this or not?? Part of me says yes, learned more about your enemy (without being in complete awe of him). Or, screw it, do your own thing.. you’re a creative genius and you’ll chart your own course. 

I’m not sure…???

As his parent, you need to decide what is best for him and follow through.

23 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I have dayboff

Is this when Brian Daboll takes a day off?

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/13/2023 at 12:09 AM, PetermansRedemption said:

I saw the preview and will probably watch. Just wish it wasn’t Mahomes or at least it also had Allen instead of Cousins or Mariota. Cousins and Mariota? Really? Wonder if all the better options declined. Mariota is borderline irrelevant and Cousins is Mr Average. 

The point of picking these three QBs was to have one (Mahomes) who is a superstar, maybe the best ever, one (Cousins) who has been successful but is in no way historically exceptional, and one (Mariotta) who has been a journeyman trying to hang on as he goes from team to team. 

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Watched two and 1/2 episodes and here are my impressions so far as it's a well done show.

-Mahomes and Allen seem to have the exact same personalities on the field.  They can get overly emotional during a game and that can be a good or bad thing depending on the circumstance.

-Kirk Cousins is the most interesting of the three.  If Mr. Rodgers was born in '88 and played QB he'd be Kirk Cousins.  Tough as hell though, a hard worker, and an easy guy to root for considering he was a 4th round pick in the same draft the Redskins took RG3.  YOU LIKE THAT

-Marcus Mariota is a pretty reserved kid who comes across as boring.

Agreed on all.

2 more things I thought - Cousins was in serious Rib pain going into game and Von hit him perfectly and re aggravated that pain early on . Dude is very tough.

I'm not a fan of Mahomes personality off the field. Idk what it is but he just rubs me the wrong way. Just kinda corny and unlikable.  Very stark contrast to how Allen off the field 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I'm not a fan of Mahomes personality off the field. Idk what it is but he just rubs me the wrong way. Just kinda corny and unlikable.  Very stark contrast to how Allen off the field 

I think they're pretty similar actually. Both supremely confident but with a kind of cornball midwestern way of playing it down. If Mahomes we'd drafted Mahomes a year earlier and Allen had somehow wound up on the Chiefs, I suspect our opinions of them would be the opposite.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Agreed on all.

2 more things I thought - Cousins was in serious Rib pain going into game and Von hit him perfectly and re aggravated that pain early on . Dude is very tough.

I can't help but like Mahomes even if I hate him on game days. As The Frankish Reich says, if he were on the Bills and Allen on the Chiefs, our opinions of them would reverse.

The "Put the shoe on the other foot" test is always a good way of defusing your prejudice and judging the reality of a situation. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Could it be that he has crushed Mafia’s souls twice in the playoffs, including one that was so gut wrenching there’s a name for it?

Dunno just a guess. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 90sBills said:

Could it be that he has crushed Mafia’s souls twice in the playoffs, including one that was so gut wrenching there’s a name for it?

Dunno just a guess. 

Agree to an extent… but it was more the ineptitude of Bills coaches with the game won and 13 seconds, Mahomes took advantage because he’s awesome 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/13/2023 at 12:15 AM, Jukester said:

Mariota especially was a head scratcher.  But regardless, it's always cool to see some of the backstories and inner workings behind these guys.  I'm also a tennis fan and watched Break Point.  I had no clue about many of the players featured and by the end really felt more connected to them.  

Maybe they went with good, fair and bad

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I think they're pretty similar actually. Both supremely confident but with a kind of cornball midwestern way of playing it down. If Mahomes we'd drafted Mahomes a year earlier and Allen had somehow wound up on the Chiefs, I suspect our opinions of them would be the opposite.

I suspect that whichever QB they ended up with tied would be the talk of the town

allen WOULD BE considered the best in the world if he went to the chief’s… and pat would be robin

Haven't watched the show and probably won't, but in terms of Mahomes, I think the dislike other than what he's done to Buffalo is about the people he surrounds himself with... wife and brother. Not exactly a choice on his part, but still.

Personally, I'll always hate Mahomes the player, but what he did after the clock struck 00 after 13 seconds made me realize how good a dude he is.

On 7/13/2023 at 8:41 AM, Mr. WEO said:

Cousins has 6 seasons in the top 10 in passes completed, 5 in top 10 in attempts, 7 in top 10 yards (4th last year), 6 in TDs, 6 in passer rating, 6 in completion%. 4 Pro Bowls.  28th all time in yards, 23rd in TDs, 23rd in YPA, 25th in game winning drives, 26th in 4th Q comebacks.

Those aren't average numbers. 

The obvious counter to this irrefutable evidence of Cousins essentially being a top-10 QB during this golden era of passing offenses is the question: "So what?"

His numbers are solid, but to what end? Has he put the team on his back to win the "big" games? Has he been transcendent under duress? In some ways, he has. But like in regular season ways, in 1pm ways, in home ways...he's mostly thought of as the ultimate stat-padder. Prolific, but only statistically. (He HAS orchestrated some impressive comebacks, no doubt.)

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

The obvious counter to this irrefutable evidence of Cousins essentially being a top-10 QB during this golden era of passing offenses is the question: "So what?"

His numbers are solid, but to what end? Has he put the team on his back to win the "big" games? Has he been transcendent under duress? In some ways, he has. But like in regular season ways, in 1pm ways, in home ways...he's mostly thought of as the ultimate stat-padder. Prolific, but only statistically. (He HAS orchestrated some impressive comebacks, no doubt.)

Relax, someone called him "Mr. Average".  He's anything but, as I have shown.  "Stat padder"?  I guess if you mean a guy who throws a lot of passes to receivers for a lot of TDs.

Name all the QBs currently in the league who are "transcendent under duress" (bizarre criteria, by the way).  

The Offense has abolutle carried the Vikings ("on its back") for the past 3 years as their Defense is absolutely terrible.  Last season that D let Daniel Freaking Jones run roughshod over them for 31 points.  Cousins went 31 for 39 and 2 TDs.  Brough them back from 10 points down to tie in the 4th Q. D gave up the lead and the Offense came up short on the last drive.

Stat padder?  You mean like Herbert?  Rodgers for the past several seasons?  Dak Prescott? 

On 7/13/2023 at 12:58 AM, Thrivefourfive said:

Do we want JA17 watching this or not?? Part of me says yes, learned more about your enemy (without being in complete awe of him). Or, screw it, do your own thing.. you’re a creative genius and you’ll chart your own course. 

I’m not sure…???

Of course you want Allen to watch.  He might pick up some ideas on preparation, leadership etc - different strategies.  Always valuable to learn something new.

Then there's this:

After the Chiefs divisional round win against the Jaguars, Mahomes and company were awaiting the winner of the Bills vs. the Cincinnati Bengals divisional round clash.

I think the Bengals are better, but I think with all those injuries on the o-line that the Bills have a chance,” he said.

Mahomes was asked who he would rather play between teams in the AFC Championship game.

“I mean, I think we match up better versus the Bills, but I want to play the Bengals. I mean, I just want to play them, we haven’t beaten them, and I’m tired of their talking.”

This is despite the Bills beating the Chiefs in their last two regular season meetings.

Edited by Beck Water

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Relax, someone called him "Mr. Average".  He's anything but, as I have shown.  "Stat padder"?  I guess if you mean a guy who throws a lot of passes to receivers for a lot of TDs.

Name all the QBs currently in the league who are "transcendent under duress" (bizarre criteria, by the way).  

The Offense has abolutle carried the Vikings ("on its back") for the past 3 years as their Defense is absolutely terrible.  Last season that D let Daniel Freaking Jones run roughshod over them for 31 points.  Cousins went 31 for 39 and 2 TDs.  Brough them back from 10 points down to tie in the 4th Q. D gave up the lead and the Offense came up short on the last drive.

Stat padder?  You mean like Herbert?  Rodgers for the past several seasons?  Dak Prescott? 

I’ll say the Mr average comment May root in a specific dynamic… that at any given tim the nfl only really has maybe 20 true starting qbs, and about a dozen teams searching. It colors fans perceptions in ranking what a middle of the pack qb is. Among the guys that are unquestioned starters - he’s pretty average or lacking exceptional traits and results. He’s a good starter, and has some longevity with that status to accumulate stats and rankings.

if you took the 20ish deserving hard to  get him above average to slightly above in that group. starting qbs of the last couple years, it’s probably 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, 716 said:

I just started episode 1 and I find out that Mahomes' middle name is my 1st name - spelled differently but still a FML moment 🤦🏿

we may have to consider revoking your membership here, with your incredibly close ties to the chiefs. 

12 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Of course you want Allen to watch.  He might pick up some ideas on preparation, leadership etc - different strategies.  Always valuable to learn something new.

Then there's this:

This is despite the Bills beating the Chiefs in their last two regular season meetings.

Mahomes and the chiefs were 0-3 vs the bengals regular season and playoffs.  

33 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Mahomes and the chiefs were 0-3 vs the bengals regular season and playoffs.  

Yup, until they weren't anymore. A lot of time has been spent bemoaning what Buffalo looked like against Cinci this year. But nothing is ever static in the NFL and long-term I'm not super afraid of them, definitely not more than KC

14 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Actually, yes. Kinda just like those guys, but without the plus physical traits (although I question if Dak has any plus traits at this point...never forget him being called the "black Kirk Cousins". Hilarious.)

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, arcane said:

Yup, until they weren't anymore. A lot of time has been spent bemoaning what Buffalo looked like against Cinci this year. But nothing is ever static in the NFL and long-term I'm not super afraid of them, definitely not more than KC

Eventually Kelce retires and Chase/Higgins have to get paid. In a couple years the balance of power could look very different. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/15/2023 at 12:52 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

Haven't watched the show and probably won't, but in terms of Mahomes, I think the dislike other than what he's done to Buffalo is about the people he surrounds himself with... wife and brother. Not exactly a choice on his part, but still.

Personally, I'll always hate Mahomes the player, but what he did after the clock struck 00 after 13 seconds made me realize how good a dude he is.

Referencing something in the show?  Something he did in that game made u appreciate him as a human, or as a player? i took it as human, but unsure what youre referencing

10 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Referencing something in the show?  Something he did in that game made u appreciate him as a human, or as a player? i took it as human, but unsure what youre referencing

I think he’s talking about Mahomes seeking out Allen to hug right after the game. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Huh? Haven't watched the show. I'm talking about how Mahomes sprinted from the EZ to Allen after throwing a GW TD to embrace him and congratulate him on a great game.

That's all I needed to know how great a dude (aka human) Mahomes is. That was rare.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Personally I love that mahomes said what he said.  The more the chiefs and bengals talk about each other the better.

The Bills need to be as understated and quiet this season as they can be which will be hard I know but it is whats best for them.

I love reading the window is closing and how allen is declining.....This is exactly what the bills should want in the media and around the league.

Between the chiefs-Bengals talking and everyone talking about rodgers in New York....the bills should be able to just go about their business.  Just need the diggs stuff to not come back up.

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I’ll say the Mr average comment May root in a specific dynamic… that at any given tim the nfl only really has maybe 20 true starting qbs, and about a dozen teams searching. It colors fans perceptions in ranking what a middle of the pack qb is. Among the guys that are unquestioned starters - he’s pretty average or lacking exceptional traits and results. He’s a good starter, and has some longevity with that status to accumulate stats and rankings.

if you took the 20ish deserving hard to  get him above average to slightly above in that group. starting qbs of the last couple years, it’s probably 

I disagree.  He is the leader of an Offense that has to carry that team most years.  Among maybe 20 true starters, he is consistently in the top 10, not cumulatively, but annually.

10 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Actually, yes. Kinda just like those guys, but without the plus physical traits (although I question if Dak has any plus traits at this point...never forget him being called the "black Kirk Cousins". Hilarious.)

What physical traits did either Manning have?

It's so wild seeing Lubbock, TX on a big TV series like this... But then again, it's half the reason I wanted the Bills to draft Mahomes back in the day. 

The city is crazy passionate about football, but isn't the big market that the other Texas giants are. Was hoping the city would become Bills fans overnight, so I'd finally not be the only Bills guy in town. 

Now the whole damn city & every Texas Tech alumni in the state is wearing Chiefs jerseys... disgusting. It's hard to go back & visit Tech anymore seeing all the red & yellow everywhere 🤮

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/13/2023 at 8:41 AM, Mr. WEO said:

Cousins has 6 seasons in the top 10 in passes completed, 5 in top 10 in attempts, 7 in top 10 yards (4th last year), 6 in TDs, 6 in passer rating, 6 in completion%. 4 Pro Bowls.  28th all time in yards, 23rd in TDs, 23rd in YPA, 25th in game winning drives, 26th in 4th Q comebacks.

Those aren't average numbers. 

And yet, despite all those wonderful stats, he’s 1-4 in the playoffs and has a slightly worse winning percentage than Tyrod Taylor as a starter. He’s a stat padder. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, transient said:

And yet, despite all those wonderful stats, he’s 1-4 in the playoffs and has a slightly worse winning percentage than Tyrod Taylor as a starter. He’s a stat padder. 

I wouldn't be so sure... People are now saying stuff like that about Josh, but it's obviously not true. 

It's not like he's only getting his numbers late in the 4th quarter during blowouts against 2nd team defenses... He's accumulating those stats naturally through the progression of each game. Remember when Josh apparently couldn't win 1 score games? People were saying Kirk was a choker, but he lead the league in 4th quarter comebacks last year. 

Also, it's not like he fell apart in their playoff game last year. He did about all he could do.

31/39 for 273 yards, 2 TD's, 0 INT's, 112.9 RTG, with the game tied 24 - 24 in the 4th quarter. Giants go on to get another TD, and the rest is history. Not saying he's amazing, but he's still a top 10 QB easily. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, transient said:

He doesn't play Defense.

It's 4 games, not 5.  2012, he came in for RG3.  In those games, he had 1000+ yards, 66%, 5 TD, 1 int, 2 rushing TD....despite getting sacked 14 times. 

Enjoying the series so far - thoughts through ep 3:

• Never realized Mahomes is so fiery - it's cool to see more of the competitive side of his personality - definitely not just physical talent with him
  • Loved the montage of Mahomes complimenting rushers every chance he could "If they like me maybe they won't hit me so hard"
  • The mic'ed up on Cousins during the Bills game fighting through the pain was something else - a real inside look into guys fighting through injuries and pain (oh - and Cam Lewis wtf were you doing)
  • Cousins comes off extremely geniune and true to his public personality - builds a special hidden room for his trophies lol
  • Was interesting to see the levels they each go through in their own way to take care of their body - thought the Mahomes routine during the week to build up to game day readiness was fascinating
  • How many players would love what Reid does to let players design and show off plays they've dreamed up a regular part of practice

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.