Andrew Luck will be eligible for the HOF in 2024

Gregg

NFL Rookie Watch on Twitter: "Andrew Luck will officially be eligible for the Hall of Fame in 2024. Luck’s stats over his first six seasons in the NFL were mind BOGGLING. Luck had 171 passing TD’s (3rd all-time), trailing only Dan Marino and Patrick Mahomes. 23,671 passing yards (4th all-time), trailing… https://t.co/sl2KzHmkZz" / Twitter

He was really good when he played. But he didn't play long enough to get in despite those impressive stats. IMHO.  if I remember correctly injuries forced him into an early retirement. He took a lot of hits playing behind a bad Colts OL.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HOUSE said:

Oh sure Steve Tasker doesn't belong yet you would even consider this guy ?

This is a sad sad day....

When Ray Guy got in the HOF, I thought that would open the door for ST players. Tasker should get in IMHO.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Terrell davis got in with the same number of years.  But I don't think there is any chance Luck gets in.  Not even if he gets lucky....the way he walked away I think is preceived a certain way even if it is unfair.

Comparing his number to Allen....Luck completed 60.8% of his passes which would be considered bad today. His won/loss record was just above 500.   I dont see mind boggling.....yes high for first few seasons but when you consider the changes in the game its not as impressive.  Allen beats him in TD%, INT%, rushing...they are tied in Y/A.  Both are 4-4 in playoffs but Lucks postseason stats blow, he threw more INT's than TD's.

Comparing him to Allen has no bearing on HOF but he is not HOF worthy at all.  If he put up 15 seasons, maybe.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

The only short career player I’ve ever approved of being in the hall was Terrell Davis.  He was dominant and won a ring.  

Luck would be a lock if he played a few more years and won a ring, but not with his body of work as is. 

Just now, Matt_In_NH said:

Terrell davis got in with the same number of years.  But I don't think there is any chance Luck gets in.  Not even if he gets lucky....the way he walked away I think is preceived a certain way even if it is unfair.

Comparing his number to Allen....Luck completed 60.8% of his passes which would be considered bad today. His won/loss record was just above 500.   I dont see mind boggling.....yes high for first few seasons but when you consider the changes in the game its not as impressive.  Allen beats him in TD%, INT%, rushing...they are tied in Y/A.  Both are 4-4 in playoffs but Lucks postseason stats blow, he threw more INT's than TD's.

Comparing him to Allen has no bearing on HOF but he is not HOF worthy at all.  If he put up 15 seasons, maybe.

Wow, what are the odds of posting the same argument at the exact same time 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

The only short career player I’ve ever approved of being in the hall was Terrell Davis.  He was dominant and won a ring.  

Luck would be a lock if he played a few more years and won a ring, but not with his body of work as is. 

Wow, what are the odds of posting the same argument at the exact same time 

Great minds……………………..rarely appear in this joint!   😋

• Haha (+1) 3

Nope. Great skills. Put up solid numbers when he played. 

My personal criteria for HoF is: can you tell the story of the era of football they played without mentioning their name? If the answer is yes, then they don't belong. Luck was good, but never really moved the needle of the era IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

When I watched OJ, Walter Payton, Joe Montana, or Payton Manning play, I knew I was privileged to observe a HOF talent do their work.

I never felt that way about Luck, though I admit the stats are impressive.

I vote no.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

58 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Nope. Great skills. Put up solid numbers when he played. 

My personal criteria for HoF is: can you tell the story of the era of football they played without mentioning their name? If the answer is yes, then they don't belong. Luck was good, but never really moved the needle of the era IMO.

May be a good history piece on how Tanking doesn’t work in the NFL. 

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

May be a good history piece on how Tanking doesn’t work in the NFL. 

Well, for this chapter I would label it "inconclusive". I do believe that had he kept playing Luck may have ended up with a Super Bowl appearance or two. 

However, for the most part I do agree with you. Football is too unpredictable a sport to rely on that "one guy" coming in, being what he was supposed to be, staying healthy and surrounding him with the players, coaches and system for them to be worth a true tank. And even then you have to worry about teams like KC, Philly, Buffalo ect that will build something better and you have to overcome all that in a single elimination playoff scenario. 

3 minutes ago, buffblue said:

I agree. That account was genius lol

I’m not a twitter guy and couldn’t find it, but when he wrote mother dearest about the worthy opponents who left a trail of chicken bones behind he got my attention!  😂 

• Like (+1) 1

The three most comparable players would have to be Gale Sayers, Tony Boselli, and Terrell Davis. All great talents at their time but without longevity.  Luck was as impactfull as all of these players.

I would argue he is a better candidate than guys like Lynn Swann or some other mediocre players that have made the HOF.

That said I would not vote him in. I wouldn't have voted in Boselli or Davis either. I wouldn't have voted in Marv Levy or a number of other marginal players.  

One thing that will be interesting to see. Boselli and Davis retired because they couldn't play anymore. Luck simply quit. Yes he was injured a lot but he was healthy when he quit on his team. I think that will be a big negative narrative behind closed doors when they discuss him. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Oh sure Steve Tasker doesn't belong yet you would even consider this guy ?

This is a sad sad day....

Neither Luck, nor Tasker, belong in Canton.

Tasker deserves a little thought. But Luck?  Hell no.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

No non kicker special teams guy deserves HOF. But if someone does it is not Tasker. He may have been the first but like it or not Matthew Slater was best.

Hester is always who comes to mind first for me. 

Tasker never registers. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

josh cribbs for me but hester played longer iirc

I just remember Hester making game-changing plays .. as in the form of points. 

Not making good tackles. 

Most overrated prospect in the history of professional sports.  He consistently messed up in big moments and was gifted the worst didvision in the history of football.  It would diminish the value of those already in.  If he gets in, Tony Mandarich might as well.

• Agree 2

38 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Every player is "eligible for the HOF" after 5 years....

Luck had 2 monster seasons.  That's about it.  Mahomes's numbers are the "mind BOGGLING" ones, by comparison.

Luck never had the benefit of a true coaching process. If he had, he would have avoided injury, played 15 years and won 5 or 6 superbowls.  In my imagination. 

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.