JA - “I’m trying to transition to being the guy that wins from the pocket”

BillsFan619

4 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Simply put, he'll be taking the checkdown more often than not

a check down on third followed by a punt is the functional equivalent of a turnover.  Add up the Bills punts + turnovers and anyone will realize Allen is the best. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Gregg said:

Not just Josh. The Bills better be ready from the start. Rodgers first game as a Jet. Primetime divisional game. The media, fans hype will be off the charts for this one. Plus remember Saleh's comment "we will see them again" after the game in Buffalo. The Jets got fired up to play the Bills more than any other team including the Pats and Dolphins last year. I expect 2 very hard fought, physical games against them again.

Don't forget the game is in NYC on 9/11

• Like (+1) 1

Why is there such a big focus this year on turning him into Drew Bledsoe? The only place he's ever gotten hurt is in the pocket. He's bigger than everyone who can tackle him and that's where he's special. If you force him into being a pocket passer, you're taking away a major part of what makes him special.

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, 90sBills said:

This is very encouraging!

He's never going to be that guy, because you can't manufacture consistency out of nowhere, and he doesn't have it.

Further, running is a HUGE part of his game and he does it extremely well.

Not utilizing it is like taking an elite WR who decides he will never run a route deeper than 25 yards.

HUH?

Josh has running skills most QBs simply do not; he needs to use them regularly.

When we get the ball down near the 5 yard line, Josh needs to be running the ball EVERY SINGLE PLAY until we score.  Give him the option to throw if he wants, but he should start with a run.

Throw or run, he'll get into the EZ before our 4 downs run out.

Of course, our OC is afraid to do this, much of the time.

👎

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

No.  See: Mahomes

I will see Mahomes (who actually does win from the pocket)

but okay.

I will see Mahomes.  Then show you…

Matt Stafford

Tom Brady (7x)

Peyton Manning (2x)

Eli Manning (2x)

Drew Brees

Nick Foles

Russell Wilson

Aaron Rodgers

Ben Rothlesberger

You just tell me when to stop. We could keep going.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

He says this because it’s the most logical path to a super bowl championship, maybe just maybe it’s not lip service and he really understands that this is the way…, 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Shemp said:

I think "canoodling" might officially be my favorite word, and it only seems to get used in Page Six-style articles.

5 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

The only place he's ever gotten hurt is in the pocket. 

Allen injuries just when running:

Broken clavicle ( knocked out for season at Wyoming)

concussion (knocked out of close game versus Patriots and Barkley was putrid in relief)

toe injury (versus Tampa 2021)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Allen injuries just when running:

Broken clavicle ( knocked out for season at Wyoming)

concussion (knocked out of close game versus Patriots and Barkley was putrid in relief)

toe injury (versus Tampa 2021)

We’re going back to his freshman year now?  LOL

No significant injuries as a result of running the football.  He was taken out against the Pats*** as a precaution.

The focus on whether Josh runs or not is misguided.  Josh’s continued development as an NFL QB is all about what happens between the ears.  More experienced, smarter QBs learn to protect themselves and make the plays that are available without putting themselves in harm’s way.  Most guys don’t have the physical abilities Josh does, so he has more tools at his disposal, but the fact that he’s talking about wanting to prolong his career tells me he is figuring it out.

• Like (+1) 1

Reading between the lines of several statements from Josh since OTAs…

Management wants him to play more disciplined ball. 

They want him to settle down, find secondary receivers, be more careful with the ball, execute the plays as they’re designed, and use his legs as a last resort or when the opportunity presents itself. 
I think the team has attempted to improve the O-line to put Josh in that position. Whether or not the line will be improved enough remains to be seen. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, eball said:

We’re going back to his freshman year now?  LOL

No significant injuries as a result of running the football.  He was taken out against the Pats*** as a precaution.

The focus on whether Josh runs or not is misguided.  Josh’s continued development as an NFL QB is all about what happens between the ears.  More experienced, smarter QBs learn to protect themselves and make the plays that are available without putting themselves in harm’s way.  Most guys don’t have the physical abilities Josh does, so he has more tools at his disposal, but the fact that he’s talking about wanting to prolong his career tells me he is figuring it out.

Allen's sophomore year actually.  He missed basically entire season as a result of that injury.

And no, he was not taken out as a precaution against the Patriots. :rolleyes:  Link below shows him clearly getting KO'd and lying motionless on the turf.   You need to layoff that milk of amnesia.

Also had a lot of people citing the huge hit when scrambling against Green Bay as a turning point in his performance last season.

The point is the people who insist he just never takes huge hits or gets hurt running the football are simply wrong.   

Also of note that the past two seasons he's run the ball a lot more...........and subsequently talked up the unique-to-him toll it's taken on him and cited the need to recuperate at the expense of spending the time working on the technical aspects of his game as he had been doing in prior seasons.   

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I will see Mahomes (who actually does win from the pocket)

but okay.

I will see Mahomes.  Then show you…

Matt Stafford

Tom Brady (7x)

Peyton Manning (2x)

Eli Manning (2x)

Drew Brees

Nick Foles

Russell Wilson

Aaron Rodgers

Ben Rothlesberger

You just tell me when to stop. We could keep going.

wake me when any of them wins another SB.  Breaking news--the future of the SB winning QB is not the statue in the pocket.  

Although I do admire the balls on you for tossing in Foles, lol.  Why did you leave Jeff Hostetler out??

Hang in there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/6/2023 at 4:39 PM, Gregg said:

Not just Josh. The Bills better be ready from the start. Rodgers first game as a Jet. Primetime divisional game. The media, fans hype will be off the charts for this one. Plus remember Saleh's comment "we will see them again" after the game in Buffalo. The Jets got fired up to play the Bills more than any other team including the Pats and Dolphins last year. I expect 2 very hard fought, physical games against them again.

Jets nation bringing it on this year!!!FC1yDGaUYAk7iHN.jpg

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Haha (+1) 3

If all goes to plan with our revamped running game, Josh shouldn't have to run more than 2-3 times a game .With all our new additions I think our red zone offense is going to be awesome.

Edited by 1st&ten
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

He's never going to be that guy, because you can't manufacture consistency out of nowhere, and he doesn't have it.

Not utilizing it is like taking an elite WR who decides he will never run a route deeper than 25 yards.

HUH?

When we get the ball down near the 5 yard line, Josh needs to be running the ball EVERY SINGLE PLAY until we score.  Give him the option to throw if he wants, but he should start with a run.

👎

I don’t think anyone is saying he should stop running completely. Just be more selective. I would like to see the designed runs go down. He’s a qb not a rb. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

wake me when any of them wins another SB.  Breaking news--the future of the SB winning QB is not the statue in the pocket.  

Although I do admire the balls on you for tossing in Foles, lol.  Why did you leave Jeff Hostetler out??

Hang in there.

Weo while at it why not Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer?  Just throwing my two cents on the matter.  Besides you’ve grown on me over the years, you know like a fungus. 😇😂🏈🦬🏋️♂️👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏⬆️

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

No Huddle, omg I spit up my adult pop when seeing this pic.  I think I might make it one of my pics on speed dial so I can throw it up to my packer friends.

Thanks MGK, definitely add it to the queue alongside these gems too! 🤣

image.thumb.jpeg.24df9c3e452dce4f534d7cd0a90d6565.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ed0c9eba1d62a79c3be841d901f67e65.jpeg

7CD935DF-1B0A-4F08-8450-4007CAE3F5C5.thumb.jpeg.f90c3bbe4e4741a872b2d9f202b1eacf.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Thanks MGK, definitely add it to the queue alongside these gems too! 🤣

image.thumb.jpeg.24df9c3e452dce4f534d7cd0a90d6565.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ed0c9eba1d62a79c3be841d901f67e65.jpeg

7CD935DF-1B0A-4F08-8450-4007CAE3F5C5.thumb.jpeg.f90c3bbe4e4741a872b2d9f202b1eacf.jpeg

Luv ya brotha.  There are a bunch of Jests guys at the wing house bar I enjoy an afternoon Bills game so the last will be especially fun.  

Any opportunity to bust on a Cheats fan is worth it.  You’re da man.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

HUH?

👎

you never cease to disappoint 

On 7/6/2023 at 7:08 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Russ is also 5 foot 10

It’s a lot easier to slip tackles and make people miss at that size… Josh is a thoroughbred 

It’s easier for Josh to make people miss if he tried. He doesn’t though and he’s acknowledged that in previous interviews. Josh can do wrong folks. He’s not perfect. Hopefully he means what he says. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.