The Bills losing four straight Super Bowls: Do you consider that to be bad?

The Bills losing four straight Super Bowls: Do you consider that to be bad?  

207 members have voted

1. 1. Inspired by a response, just curious... the Bills losing four straight Super Bowls: Do you consider that to be bad?

Overall, it was a great time. The Bills won a lot of regular season games and playoff games. You had the Kelly and Marino led battles with the Bills and Fish. But with that said it was frustrating that they couldn't win one. They should have won the Giants game. They really were the better team but credit the Giants as they played the perfect game. Hogging the ball for 40 minutes and keeping it away from Kelly and Thurman (who was on fire that day). Hopefully the Allen led Bills can a bring a championship to WNY. If any fanbase deserves one its Bills fans. My vote was not bad. Bad was the 70's and 1984, 1985, as well as the drought.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Champions of the AFC four years in a row is not bad by any metric. It astonishes me to this day how fans from other teams use that as a put down for this franchise. 

Those games were 30 years ago. Not one player, scout or executive (or owner) is around from that era anymore to my knowledge. Maybe a few of the gate guards because some of them look ancient. 

It's almost as irrelevant as when Jet fans yell "yeah but we have a Super Bowl" that was what...50 years ago? That a very high percentage of them weren't even alive to see? At least a good amount of us have SEEN our team in a Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 5

That was me....I wasn't saying those times weren't great. I lived in Buffalo and had tickets then. I also went to the first 3 Superbowls,  but how can you say those Superbowl losses weren't bad? We lost 4 Superbowls. How  can that be anything but bad?

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, nucci said:

That was me....I wasn't saying those times weren't great. I lived in Buffalo and had tickets then. I also went to the first 3 Superbowls,  but how can you say those Superbowl losses weren't bad? We lost 4 Superbowls. How  can that be anything but bad?

Actually I think it was semantics, poorly written imo.  Obviously it was "bad" to lose 4 in a year, hell it was bad to lose 1 but I was reflecting would you like to go through that era again, I said absolutely.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

Actually I think it was semantics, poorly written imo.  Obviously it was "bad" to lose 4 in a year, hell it was bad to lose 1 but I was reflecting would you like to go through that era again, I said absolutely.

Thanks, that was my point. Those times were great but ended poorly

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I have a hard time looking back at those years without being really disappointed. 

It was exciting to go to all those playoff games, but today,  looking back,  it sucks. 

We lost 4 in a row,  I understand the vast accomplishment the team had in getting to 4, but we lost them all.  That's just terrible and no other way to spin it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

As a whole, winning 4 straight AFC championships was epically good.  BUT individually

Losing SBXXV was bad, stubbornly sticking with what our offense had always done against a defense that they hadn't seen and was working against it.

And losing SBXXVIII was bad because we basically gave up at the first sign of adversity even though we owned the first half.

45 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

So I am just curious... as Bills fans, do you all consider four straight Super Bowl losses bad or no?

This was inspired by a response from another thread, and I am genuinely curious as to how others feel.

So many current fans would be happier being virgins.  

If they never in Superbowl then they would not have 4 losses in it.

They should be fans of another team who has never been there so each time they can say:

• This is our year to be in the Superbowl and win it on our first time.

and then

• I told you so.  Bills will not make playoffs.  We need to dump owners, front office and coaches as well as most of players.

Best term for these players: douches

4 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

So many current fans would be happier being virgins.  

This is an interesting analogy. Would it be bad to get to 3rd base 4 times but never get home? I’d say frustratingly bad. So I voted bad in the poll. 

• Like (+1) 1

Voted "not bad."  

Sure, it would have been great if the Bills won them all.  

I think fans generally underappreciate how utterly dominant the Bills were in the 1990s.  You're very unlikely to see a team go to four consecutive SBs ever again.   The Bills went to playoffs in eight of the ten years in that decade.   

It's also a symbol of how great the NFL used to be IMO - when teams could build teams of great players vs. today where you get to have one great player.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, dpberr said:

Voted "not bad."  

Sure, it would have been great if the Bills won them all.  

I think fans generally underappreciate how utterly dominant the Bills were in the 1990s.  You're very unlikely to see a team go to four consecutive SBs ever again.   The Bills went to playoffs in eight of the ten years in that decade.   

It's also a symbol of how great the NFL used to be IMO - when teams could build teams of great players vs. today where you get to have one great player.  

That wasn't the question though. It's losing 4 Superbowls in row. Go back and  watch Dallas beat us 52-17 and tell me it wasn't bad

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

This is an interesting analogy. Would it be bad to get to 3rd base 4 times but never get home? I’d say frustratingly bad. So I voted bad in the poll. 

Some would never want to be a bat unless they get home AND THEN they would complain and say opposition was weak.

• Like (+1) 1

I was 9 when they lost the first one and I was confused.  I didn't grow up in Buffalo and every prime time game I saw....they won.  So losing in the Super Bowl was confusing.

The only time I cried is Super Bowl 27.  I was 11 and I couldn't believe this was happening.

The next year, I was just numb.

So yes, it sucked.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, nucci said:

This is kind of the spot on point. Losing the most important game four times is bad. Doesn't me the era and winning through out it + relevance wasn't fun, but the you lost four times the most important one of them all which in turn has cast a shadow that hangs to today.

It was bad losing four in a row.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nucci said:

Because the more important thing was picking themselves back up and getting back time after time.  It is why any dramatic comeback win games in the NFL are usually amongst the best classic games.  

• Like (+1) 1

Was 13 seconds a bad thing??

Of course it was!! 

Loosing SUCKS! Winning is sooo much better.

Took me a long time & therapy to get over all those loses. Thanks for dredging those painful memories back up. Well, guess I'll have to go drown my sorrows again.

Edited by Donuts and Doritos

1 minute ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Was 13 seconds a bad thing??

Of course it was!! 

Loosing SUCKS! Winning is sooo much better.

Took me a long time & therapy to get over those loses. Thanks for dredging those painful memories back up. Well, guess I'll have to go drown my sorrows again.

Until the Bills win the Super Bowl, I don't think I will ever get over 13 seconds. To this day I still can't believe they lost that game. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

As a whole, winning 4 straight AFC championships was epically good.  BUT individually

Losing SBXXV was bad, stubbornly sticking with what our offense had always done against a defense that they hadn't seen and was working against it.

And losing SBXXVIII was bad because we basically gave up at the first sign of adversity even though we owned the first half.

Exactly! Before SBXXV and the few seasons before and after when Buffalo was fielding a competitive team, I bought a shirt that said AFC East Champions, because it had been many years since I had seen "Buffalo Bills" and "Champions" on any shirt! Most of the 1970's and early 1980's were miserable for the team and the fans.

That is why NOW is when they have to win it all. 

1 hour ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

I agree 100%.

SBXXVIII was lost on 1 play, the Thurman Thomas fumble.  After that myself as a fan said the game was lost even though we had the lead and were to get the ball back.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

So I am just curious... as Bills fans, do you all consider four straight Super Bowl losses bad or no?

This was inspired by a response from another thread, and I am genuinely curious as to how others feel.

for those who were not there or 2 young... its horrific. For those who were there? Pure Entertainment. Just to get there 4 times in a row again? I would do it all over again. Just wondering.. why bring this up though? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PrimeTime101 said:

for those who were not there or 2 young... its horrific. For those who were there? Pure Entertainment. Just to get there 4 times in a row again? I would do it all over again. Just wondering.. why bring this up though? 

Because I made a comment in another thread that losing 4 Superbowls in a row sucked. Many disagree and are ok with it.

I cringe when I see other fanbases mock the Bills with their 4 straight SB loses.  They forget that included in that record are 4 straight AFC Championships.  

It was sad they didn't pull one out, but actually getting to 4 straight is borderline impossible, and the ignorance of that fact is astounding in my opinion.  It's an amazing feat.

Well it certainly wasn’t good…, 

it did show they had very good teams during those four years though, just not the best…, 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.