More players to receive season long gambling suspensions this week.

Tipster19

5 minutes ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

it's gonna suck if it is a good bills player

It would be very Billsy, 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

The article I saw lead with Isaiah Rodgers (Colts kick returner/backup CB) "and others".

Presumably he's the biggest name on the list. 

Yeah, media ***** Schefter wouldn't lead with anything other than the highest profile player involved...

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Anyone know how it works with regard to the cap?

Ie if White or Miller was suspended for the year, does his salary comes off the books and frees up enough money to sign Hopkins???

It would as the contract would be pushed pack a season.  It would create about 24 to 25 million in cap space.  Of course that would be less than ideal given their age and the cap hit we'd take the next couple of seasons.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I agree with Pat Kirwan from MTC.  An easy fix.  Suspended for life or at least 5 years.  That will nix it.

these guys are morons.  Their avg shelf life is 3.5 years and they get suspended for a year.  Make it 5 and no one will break the rules.  They can gamble as idiots their life away once they retire and be on some sad show how they pushed ot away.

i make a very nice living and I don’t gamble because you lose more than you win.  A fool and money.  The old phrase.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I agree with Pat Kirwan from MTC.  An easy fix.  Suspended for life or at least 5 years.  That will nix it.

these guys are morons.  Their avg shelf life is 3.5 years and they get suspended for a year.  Make it 5 and no one will break the rules.  They can gamble as idiots their life away once they retire and be on some sad show how they pushed ot away.

i make a very nice living and I don’t gamble because you lose more than you win.  A fool and money.  The old phrase.

That seems a little harsh but maybe one year for non NFL games and three seasons for any NFL game.

The NFLPA has given Goodell free reign on the gambling policy so if I were him I'd ban gambling on anything while employed by the NFL (player, coach, administrators, water boys, etc.).  That would clear up any confusion.  Like I said, one season for non NFL gambling and three seasons for NFL gambling.  

16 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

That seems a little harsh but maybe one year for non NFL games and three seasons for any NFL game.

The NFLPA has given Goodell free reign on the gambling policy so if I were him I'd ban gambling on anything while employed by the NFL (player, coach, administrators, water boys, etc.).  That would clear up any confusion.  Like I said, one season for non NFL gambling and three seasons for NFL gambling.  

Should be owners too.

• Agree 2

31 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This would be a fun thread for people to guess random players who will be busted (other than Isaiah Rogers). It’s kind of like when we guess a random player that the Bills will draft.

I’ll go first: Robert Spillane WLB - Raiders

Star Lotulelei.........playing with his $350K covid pay on the couch during the 2020 season.   

Bills are fined a 3rd round comp pick in 2024 draft since he can't be suspended.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Did a riverboat gambler sleep with your girlfriend and kick your dog or something?  That's some serious pearl clutching you're doing there.

As for losing more than you win, it depends.  By betting small and taking advantage of regular promotions, I've made far more than I've spent over time with my online gambling account (without any great lucky jackpots to skew the numbers).  Contrary to what you seem to think is possible, it's just a fun hobby for me that hasn't ruined my life.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This would be a fun thread for people to guess random players who will be busted (other than Isaiah Rogers). It’s kind of like when we guess a random player that the Bills will draft.

I’ll go first: Robert Spillane WLB - Raiders

Tyreek Hill.

Edited by Tipster19
Duplications
  • Like (+1) 1

updated

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/nfl-suspends-isaiah-rodgers-rashod-berry-and-demetrius-taylor-at-least-one-season-for-gambling

Isaiah Rodgers and Rashod Berry of the Indianapolis Colts and free agent Demetrius Taylor are all suspended indefinitely for betting on NFL games in 2022. All three players will miss at least the entire 2023 season and then be eligible to apply for reinstatement after that.

The NFL has also confirmed that Nicholas Petit-Frere of the Tennessee Titans is suspended for the first six regular season games of 2023 for betting on non-NFL sports at the team facility. He is not suspended for training camp or the preseason.

22 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It would as the contract would be pushed pack a season.  It would create about 24 to 25 million in cap space.  Of course that would be less than ideal given their age and the cap hit we'd take the next couple of seasons.

Can the team say the player/s violated the terms of their contract and void the whole thing? 😁👍

3 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Yea that is a pretty bad look for the NFL.

Not the suspension, the gambling on a teammate and heavily.

Didn't Pete Rose get banned from baseball when he was managing the Reds for betting on games including his own team. Similar situation here. It is a bad look.

21 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Should be owners too.

They own a fair number of the NFL gambling businesses, they have brought this on themselves, and it is only going to get worse, although they likely don’t care as long as the money is good, 

7 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

They own a fair number of the NFL gambling businesses, they have brought this on themselves, and it is only going to get worse, although they likely don’t care as long as the money is good, 

The players get money too you know.

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

The players get money too you know.

Not the point, the point is that the owners opened “Pandora’s box” and brought the “ integrity of the game” problem upon themselves,  sooner or later a group of players is gonna throw a game for big money, just a matter of time, 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.