Bills named team with most “expectations” on them in 2023

BillsFan619

“The Buffalo Bills were named the team in the NFL with the ‘greatest burden of expectation’ on them heading into the NFL 2023 season.

But 2023 could be a sweet spot for Sean McDermott’s team. The Bills have played their best when being the perceived underdog.“

Full Article -https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bills-named-team-most-expectations-191519391.html

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• BillsFan619 changed the title to Bills named team with most “expectations” on them in 2023
14 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I disagree. Last year they were playing under the weight of high expectations as they were everyone’s pick to get to the big dance. This year, not so much. 

Different type of pressure. Last year was about how great they were. This year it’s about how the windows closing. There will be a lot more negative press this season, as we’re already seeing.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I disagree. Last year they were playing under the weight of high expectations as they were everyone’s pick to get to the big dance. This year, not so much. 

Last year every prognosticator predicted the Bills as Champs. The year before we blew an even better opportunity with 13 sec.  I've heard many predict the Bills pull back some this season.  And frankly that's fine with me. Clean up the Diggs drama and avoid catastrophic events and this team may very well stay under the radar and win it's first championship. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

I'm surprised the Chargers didn't make this list.  Staley is fighting for his job after botching the week 18 game in OT two years ago and then blowing the 27-0 lead at halftime in Jacksonville in the Wild Card round.  Herbert hasn't won a playoff game going into year 4.  I'd pry put them above at least the Bears.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm surprised the Chargers didn't make this list.  Staley is fighting for his job after botching the week 18 game in OT two years ago and then blowing the 27-0 lead at halftime in Jacksonville in the Wild Card round.  Herbert hasn't won a playoff game going into year 4.  I'd pry put them above at least the Bears.

Probably tired of doing this with the Chargers every other season. Plus the AFC East is the sexy division this year.

The Jets went all in on a 2-3 year window by gambling on an 39 year old QB with questionable leadership skills. They have the biggest expectation burden IMO.  If they don’t win the division or make a deep playoff run, good chance Saleh is looking for for another job in 2025/2026.

• Like (+1) 2

This team is stacked. Last year just about everything that could go wrong went wrong. If Cyrus is a legit guard it’s the best o line Allen has had and if Dalton is as good as advertised it might be the best weapons Allen has had. Healthy defense and we should be in the big one

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I agree.

Their are many similarities between the Chargers and the Bills. 

• Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

None at all. Lol. Actually what are the similarities?

Both teams can't win when it counts. 

Both teams can't beat KC in the big game. 

Both teams have a reputation that they choke in the big game. 

Both teams have top tier QBs who have fallen short repeatedly. 

Both teams have coaches that have choked away a playoff game. 

Both fan bases have been disappointed in recent years. 

51 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

This team is stacked. Last year just about everything that could go wrong went wrong. If Cyrus is a legit guard it’s the best o line Allen has had and if Dalton is as good as advertised it might be the best weapons Allen has had. Healthy defense and we should be in the big one

Are they really stacked? Who are the elite players on the team? 

Don't get me wrong the roster looks to be improved and solid. A roster that if healthy should be able to compete with any team. 

• Disagree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Don't get me wrong the roster looks to be improved and solid. A roster that if healthy should be able to compete with any team. 

allen, Diggs, tre Micah poyer milano von 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Chargers have never played the Chiefs "in the big game"

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Chargers have never played the Chiefs "in the big game"

Plenty of big regular season games between the two. Often they had playoff implications for the Chargers. 

The Chargers have squandered just about everyone of those games. 

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

Plenty of big regular season games between the two. Often they had playoff implications for the Chargers. 

It's nothing like a playoff game 

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

The only big game I see the Chargers play was where they blew a huge lead losing to Jacksonville in the wildcard round.

The Chargers also blew multiple regular season games at the end of the 2021 season to miss the playoffs.

The Chargers defense has also underperformed with bad rankings even though they have a defensive coach and spent a lot on defense.

The Chargers are exactly what you THINK the Bills are. That explains a lot!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The only big game I see the Chargers play was where they blew a huge lead losing to Jacksonville in the wildcard round.

The Chargers also blew multiple regular season games at the end of the 2021 season to miss the playoffs.

The Chargers defense has also underperformed with bad rankings even though they have a defensive coach and spent a lot on defense.

The Chargers are exactly what you THINK the Bills are. That explains a lot!

A younger version I might add. 

8 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

A younger version I might add. 

I mean if you’re saying Allen’s year 2 is similar to Herbert’s year 3, I guess. Chargers and Bills both blew double digit leads in the wildcard. That’s about where the comparison ends. Chargers have a long way to go to match the Bills the last 4 years.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, K-9 said:

They were the Vegas favorite to WIN it for the entire preseason and regular season, if I’m not mistaken (which is likely). 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

BINGO

my expectations were high last season. This season they are Just as high. I rate it about equal.

The factor going into this year as you stated was the "on paper"  strengthened roster. And what the additions will bring to the table. AND who steps up in camp.

This post dovetails with the coaching also being a question mark.  How will the Bills play with McDermott calling the defense and not Frazier.

My hopes are that things fall easier than last year.  Last year was a doozie. potential heat strokes in Miami and Los Angeles  in subsequent games. Blizzards. Freak injuries.  All of that. No floods Hallelujah

😙

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Exactly correct. Thank you for this astute distinction. 

It's the very reason why I'm advocating for a coaching change. 

For the Chargers?  sure, couldn't hurt.

McD has his problems in the playoffs, but to make an equivalence of the Bills performance since Allen arrived to that of the Chargers since Herbert got there is really an incredibly weak argument.  But you dove in to that empty shallow end of the pool and now you are stuck defending this ridiculous take.  This is always fun to watch... 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Well, the Bills HAVE beaten the Chiefs multiple times in the regular season. And they've won plenty of playoff games.

It is so plain that the Chargers are a huge step below the Bills. Anyone should be able to admit that.  The Bills have had far more success. They are not similar.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Well, the Bills HAVE beaten the Chiefs multiple times in the regular season. And they've won plenty of playoff games.

It is so plain that the Chargers are a huge step below the Bills. Anyone should be able to admit that.  The Bills have had far more success. They are not similar.

The Bills have been better than the Chargers, but the fact that the Chargers have had the Chiefs in their division makes the disparity seem larger than it has been.  Swap the Chiefs for any team in the AFCE, and the Chargers would have more division titles than the Bills.

I hadn’t thought about it before, but I think newcam is right.  They’re very similar.

• Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, Billl said:

The Bills have been better than the Chargers, but the fact that the Chargers have had the Chiefs in their division makes the disparity seem larger than it has been.  Swap the Chiefs for any team in the AFCE, and the Chargers would have more division titles than the Bills.

I hadn’t thought about it before, but I think newcam is right.  They’re very similar.

I mean, the Chargers have 1 playoff appearance in Herbert’s career. And a 27-0 choked lead at that.

If you’re calling that similar, then the Chiefs are similar to the Bears.

11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Staley is what a few of the "realists" here claim McDermott to be. Only doesn't fit their narrative because Staley is "an offensive minded coach".

4 hours ago, MJS said:

There are similarities. I never implied that the Bills aren't a better franchise or haven't accomplished more. I'd be a fool to take that stance. 

• Dislike 1

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

For the Chargers?  sure, couldn't hurt.

McD has his problems in the playoffs, but to make an equivalence of the Bills performance since Allen arrived to that of the Chargers since Herbert got there is really an incredibly weak argument.  But you dove in to that empty shallow end of the pool and now you are stuck defending this ridiculous take.  This is always fun to watch... 

I've stated many of the sumiliarties between the two teams. I'll proudly stand by them. Reread them if you need your memory refreshed. There hasn't been a lot of negative feedback on the specifics. 

What getting lost here is the assumption that I have implied that the Bills haven't accomplished more that LA. People have taken what I said out of context. 

There is a real perception that both franchises can't get it done. That's the major point of contention here. Frankly, I don't see what I said as ridiculous. What's ridiculous is the implication some have made. Is that you? 

Hope that clarifies things for you. 

Edited by newcam2012

17 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Interesting as I've seen the Bills are picked 3rd, 4th 5th, maybe even lower in some polls.  But somehow in the next breath, they have the most expectations on them??  Seems somewhat counter intuitive??

They have built the Bills up in the media, nows the part when they try to tear them down.

Just have to keep the team focused on what's important, football. 

10 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I've stated many of the sumiliarties between the two teams. I'll proudly stand by them. Reread them if you need your memory refreshed. There hasn't been a lot of negative feedback on the specifics. 

What getting lost here is the assumption that I have implied that the Bills haven't accomplished more that LA. People have taken what I said out of context. 

There is a real perception that both franchises can't get it done. That's the major point of contention here. Frankly, I don't see what I said as ridiculous. What's ridiculous is the implication some have made. Is that you? 

Hope that clarifies things for you. 

Atta boy.

Nobody is agreeing with you.  You are comparing the Chargers, with a Coach and QB who have gotten to one playoff game--and lost--with a Coach and QB that has reached the playoffs 4 of the 5 seasons, twice to the Divisional, one of  which they lost infamously, but is considered one of the best games in league history.  The Chargers have achieved nothing.  Anyone who has seen any one of their games likely remembers nothing about it. Yet you insist that "there are many  similarities between these two teams". 

By all means, be very proud of that absolutely ridiculous take.  It suits you.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

I mean, the Chargers have 1 playoff appearance in Herbert’s career. And a 27-0 choked lead at that.

If you’re calling that similar, then the Chiefs are similar to the Bears.

And if the Chargers and Bills had swapped divisions, the Chargers would have won the AFCE every year.  And it's not like Josh's first playoff game didn't involve blowing a big lead.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.