NYS DMV offering Western NY themed plates

The Wiz

3 minutes ago, Whites Bay said:

Marketing genius on the part of the DMV.  SO going to get the Bills plates.

The real genius move would be make the bills one the standard state plate to make the fans of other teams have to pay to opt out of that plate 😆

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 6

38 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

it's a waste of money, but I'm probably gonna do it.

It would be great if the extra proceeds went to the area & not go to the city !! You know that those will be more expensive so why not have the extra money stay home where it belongs the city gets more than it's far share as it is ...

• Agree 4

Nice promotion, likely to see a lot of them on cars soon, jmo. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, T master said:

It would be great if the extra proceeds went to the area & not go to the city !! You know that those will be more expensive so why not have the extra money stay home where it belongs the city gets more than it's far share as it is ...

$60 initial fee and then $31 for renewing.  Not exactly going to rake in the money at that cost but I get what you mean.  Who knows if there is some back room deal where Western NY gets $0.25 on the dollar for each of these sold.

Edited by The Wiz

20 minutes ago, T master said:

With due respect, The “city” and it’s immediate surrounding area is the vast majority of the entire state’s revenue, without NYC and it’s surrounding area, western New York is among the poorest states in the country.  The “city” is worth something to the tune of three trillion dollars…, just sayin. 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

5 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

With due respect, The “city” and it’s immediate surrounding area is the vast majority of the entire state’s revenue, without NYC and it’s surrounding area, western New York is among the poorest states in the country.  The “city” is worth something to the tune of three trillion dollars…, just sayin. 

And it cost that & more to keep it a float i bet the city pays out much over their budget every year just to keep it a float . Any time i have ever been there the decay in the city is never fixed roads & bridges are terrible & never get better .

Western NY to those from the city is back wards but a lot of that from the time i was a kid & lived there (from the opinion of most from that area) is because so much tax revenue goes to the city that there is little if any left for the rest that live in the state which is why the Bills we're the last to get funding for a stadium . 50 years to be exact .

Yet the Mets, Yankees, Nets, & it wouldn't surprise me if some of the proceeds that the Giants & Jets got for their teams came from the city when they got their brand new stadium . But maybe that's just me i guess .

With all due respect ! 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, Whites Bay said:

Marketing genius on the part of the DMV.  SO going to get the Bills plates.

I live in the college football land of Atlanta. It’s not just UGA plates around here, you see Auburn, Bama, FSU, UF and so on. Any chance to charge a little extra!  💰 

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Same thing here in Illinois. They all slam Chicago... But the cities keep the state afloat. The country folk think it's the exact opposite though.  /smdh

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

I live in the college football land of Atlanta. It’s not just UGA plates around here, you see Auburn, Bama, FSU, UF and so on. Any chance to charge a little extra!  💰 

My plates in Illinois. Just sayin' 😆 

ilmichcanal.gif

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, T master said:

And it cost that & more to keep it a float i bet the city pays out much over their budget every year just to keep it a float . Any time i have ever been there the decay in the city is never fixed roads & bridges are terrible & never get better .

Western NY to those from the city is back wards but a lot of that from the time i was a kid & lived there (from the opinion of most from that area) is because so much tax revenue goes to the city that there is little if any left for the rest that live in the state which is why the Bills we're the last to get funding for a stadium . 50 years to be exact .

Yet the Mets, Yankees, Nets, & it wouldn't surprise me if some of the proceeds that the Giants & Jets got for their teams came from the city when they got their brand new stadium . But maybe that's just me i guess .

With all due respect ! 

You may also add that in 2005 I built an addition on a house off q in Brooklyn.  The house cost in 2004 475k 1500 Sq st addition was 228k. After remodel that house taxes are lower than mine in Monroe County.

Just checked they still are.

Mine 8500

There's 4700

1 hour ago, T master said:

With all due respect ! 

Yet with all due respect, western NY is is among the poorest states without NYC thrown into the mix, that doesn’t change no matter how one spins it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Here in Virginia you can buy hundreds of specialty plates: including vanity plates, 60 or so military themed plates and 95 college themed plates and god knows how many other weird specialty groups. And yes they sell those stupid "Don't Tread on Me" plates. It's pretty ironic seeing one of those plates on a big-ass SUV or a Tesla. 

Anyway, the extra money from these plates don't go anywhere except Richmond. 

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

The real genius move would be make the bills one the standard state plate to make the fans of other teams have to pay to opt out of that plate 😆

DMV Rep: “I’m sorry sir, since the [Jets][Giants] are not actually New York teams, we cannot offer a personalized option for a foreign franchise…but you’re welcome to go with our ‘Zubaz’ themed option, which at least doesn’t say “Bills” directly on it…”

1 hour ago, Steve Billieve said:

Same thing happens to most states when you take away their biggest city. What is your point?

I’ll leave you to think about that, 😁

43 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

FWIIW, the NYS tax burden was primarily via 'Wall Street'.

In recent years, that burden has shifted to 'Main Street'.

Its always been Main Street, that’s why the working class loses 25 percent and more of their income annually…, 

14 minutes ago, chongli said:

It's spoken for (as is "MAAFIA" and "MAFIAA"):

plate.jpg

Could always do the numeric spelling.

M4F14

M4FI4

Or if your a big diggs fan

MAF14

Or a Solomon wilcots fan(I think that's the right announcer): BEELZ

Edited by The Wiz
  • Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Yet with all due respect, western NY is is among the poorest states without NYC thrown into the mix, that doesn’t change no matter how one spins it. 

The city causes the state to focus on it.  WNY might be a poor state without the city, but it would have focused on keeping large businesses that started here and their jobs in state.   Also, revenue needed to keep the rest of the state, WNY operational is much less than with NYC included.  The rest of the state may be able to balance a budget, etc.  

43 minutes ago, LVGrown said:

I'm a little shocked that Bills plates weren't already an option. 

Or is this just a new version?

I know they had a vanity plate for the bills a long time ago because my grandfather had it on his car (probably 25-30 years ago they came out).

This is what it looked like.

buffalo-bills-sample-ny-license-plate_1_

I don't know if they stopped doing it or if they were still available but either way, this is an updated version.

What I didn't know was the DMV offers a bunch of different custom plates already other than the 2-3 that they allow you to pick as the standard plates.

https://dmv.ny.gov/nav/custom-plates

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

DMV Rep: “I’m sorry sir, since the [Jets][Giants] are not actually New York teams, we cannot offer a personalized option for a foreign franchise…but you’re welcome to go with our ‘Zubaz’ themed option, which at least doesn’t say “Bills” directly on it…”

which is why New Jersey needs to start offering Jets and Giants plates.  Seriously

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Can an out of towner score one for say, wall décor purposes?? 🧐

If you have a vehicle registered in NY you can.  

Lets say you already have a vehicle registered in NY with plate number 123ABC.  You order a personalized plate on the Bills background, say "GO BILLS" for the same vehicle.  Now your registration will show both plates for the same vehicle, so you can hang the new one on the wall while keeping the old ones on the vehicle. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LVGrown said:

I'm a little shocked that Bills plates weren't already an option. 

Or is this just a new version?

4 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I know they had a vanity plate for the bills a long time ago because my grandfather had it on his car (probably 25-30 years ago they came out).

This is what it looked like.

buffalo-bills-sample-ny-license-plate_1_

I don't know if they stopped doing it or if they were still available but either way, this is an updated version.

What I didn't know was the DMV offers a bunch of different custom plates already other than the 2-3 that they allow you to pick as the standard plates.

https://dmv.ny.gov/nav/custom-plates

I got vanity plates about 5 years ago and they definitely had Bills plates with a helmet on the left of the plate. 

I couldn’t think of anything personalized that I wanted to do that wasn’t already taken, so I scrapped the idea. 

To get a Bills plate with a personalized number is a double hit to the wallet, too. 

I opted to just do a personalized letter/number combo (Mets related) on one of the blue/gold plates. 

I think it’s an additional $60 every two years, but I could be mistaken. 

If I’d have gone with a Mets plate AND the personalization, it would have been at least double that amount. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, T master said:

The DMV is a NYS government Department.  What are you talking about?

19 hours ago, T master said:

With all due respect ! 

Everything in this post is wrong.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I got vanity plates about 5 years ago and they definitely had Bills plates with a helmet on the left of the plate. 

I couldn’t think of anything personalized that I wanted to do that wasn’t already taken, so I scrapped the idea. 

To get a Bills plate with a personalized number is a double hit to the wallet, too. 

I opted to just do a personalized letter/number combo (Mets related) on one of the blue/gold plates. 

I think it’s an additional $60 every two years, but I could be mistaken. 

If I’d have gone with a Mets plate AND the personalization, it would have been at least double that amount. 

So the vanity plates are $60 and personalized vanity plates are $90 initially with an annual renewal of $30/$60 respectively.

When you think of it like a streaming service you might subscribe to, it's relatively cheap.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.