Did McDermott want to take over the play calling because of the difference in defense?

Tipster19

It seems to me that the defense is much different from last year’s. The 2023 defense appears built more on speed than the previous. The addition of Leonard, the speed of Dorian Williams and the re-signing of Oliver makes this defense a whole bunch faster, equating to getting to the QB quicker and more often. 

McDermott knowing or realizing this he may have wanted to be credited with spearheading a defense like this, one that suddenly gain an uptick in turnovers and sacks, would make his image a bit more shiny. 

• Eyeroll 1

The defense folds when if matters so he was given a year to fix it or get lost. Pretty obvious.

if it happens again I seriously doubt they would give McD the opportunity to hire another DC so this is probably it bud. Do or die time.

Edited by Governor
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tipster19 said:

It seems to me that the defense is much different from last year’s. The 2023 defense appears built more on speed than the previous. The addition of Leonard, the speed of Dorian Williams and the re-signing of Oliver makes this defense a whole bunch faster, equating to getting to the QB quicker and more often. 

McDermott knowing or realizing this he may have wanted to be credited with spearheading a defense like this, one that suddenly gain an uptick in turnovers and sacks, would make his image a bit more shiny. 

He took it over because it was becoming clear his job was at risk if what happened in the playoffs happened again. Fans and media would have a field day. Look at them as is. Can you imagine if he let Frazier stay? He was smart in getting ahead of it and it was the right thing to do. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 6
  • Dislike 1

Can’t be true.  A poster here told us that a Carolina fan told him that we’ve been playing the same exact D as McD did at Carolina.  We should expect the same D that we’ve been seeing under Frazier.  

That is, If you believe some rando, that happens to be a figment of a fools imagination 

• Haha (+1) 2

Three straight years of his defense getting beaten up by elite QB's to end the season.  McDermott isn't going to lose his job without first doing what got him the job in the first place.  Plus, I think he missed it.

Can’t wait to see if the Regular Season Hall of Fame Coach can figure out how to keep playoff teams from scoring more points. 

I’ll give him 13 seconds to figure it out. 

Let us pray. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

24 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Can’t wait to see if the Regular Season Hall of Fame Coach can figure out how to keep playoff teams from scoring more points. 

Let us pray. 

What does Marvin Lewis have to do with this?

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Three straight years of his defense getting beaten up by elite QB's to end the season.  McDermott isn't going to lose his job without first doing what got him the job in the first place.  Plus, I think he missed it.

I think he also realized he needs to step out of the offense, this lets him do that.

10 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

No.  Re-signing Oliver does not make the team any faster than before.  The additions of Williams and Leonard both happened after he decided he was taking over play-calling.  And who knows how much Williams will even get on the field over the other LBs on the team.

11 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

McDermott was smart enough to know a faster defense would be a better defense.    knowing or realizing this he may have wanted to be credited with spearheading a defense like this, one that suddenly gain an uptick in turnovers and sacks, would make his image a bit more shiny. 

Fixed it for you.  First paragraph makes sense, but then the 2nd one becomes a whole slant on his ego which none of us really have any idea of the truth.

11 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

What was it based on before if not speed? It certainly wasn't size.

• Like (+1) 1

Even though they've been statistically elite, I think McD had enough and couldn't take how passive the play calling was in big spots

I think he thinks he can elevate the d to another level and just couldn't resist play calling now that he has some HC experience 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, The Wiz said:

How much did he step into the offense other than listening to the analytics guys to decide on going for it in 4th?

I'm more talking about weekly during game plan prep and I would imagine sitting in the offensive meetings and sitting with the coordinators and potentially micro managing on the offensive side of things.

27 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Even though they've been statistically elite, I think McD had enough and couldn't take how passive the play calling was in big spots

I think he thinks he can elevate the d to another level and just couldn't resist play calling now that he has some HC experience 

It’s been McDermott’s defense all along. If he didn’t like something about the play-calling, he would’ve already addressed it and it wouldn’t require Frazier - a subordinate - leaving to do so.

5 minutes ago, Airseven said:

It’s been McDermott’s defense all along. If he didn’t like something about the play-calling, he would’ve already addressed it and it wouldn’t require Frazier - a subordinate - leaving to do so.

It is his defensive philosophy but a huge difference if you're the play caller..

Only heard that one instance where McD took over for a half or game and a half. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

It is his defensive philosophy but a huge difference if you're the play caller..

Only heard that one instance where McD took over for a half or game and a half. 

McDermott game plans for tendencies, scenarios, and personnel packages. There’s a pre-scripted design for what to call and when.

I’ll grant there may be a couple plays per game where McDermott would’ve called something entirely different. But McDermott would certainly weigh in on crucial calls.

Don’t get me wrong, I can appreciate a fan’s tendency to attach hope to this coaching tweak.

2 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

I'm more talking about weekly during game plan prep and I would imagine sitting in the offensive meetings and sitting with the coordinators and potentially micro managing on the offensive side of things.

So basically you have no idea and are just creating a reason to complain.  Got it.

1 hour ago, Airseven said:

McDermott game plans for tendencies, scenarios, and personnel packages. There’s a pre-scripted design for what to call and when.

I’ll grant there may be a couple plays per game where McDermott would’ve called something entirely different. But McDermott would certainly weigh in on crucial calls.

Don’t get me wrong, I can appreciate a fan’s tendency to attach hope to this coaching tweak.

I'm trying to find a play when McD was DC with this situation. 3rd and 4 and the DBs play 12 yards off the line. If I can find this, then I'll know nothing will change. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

So basically you have no idea and are just creating a reason to complain.  Got it.

You mean how there was reported friction between Dabol and McD?

Also, I'm not complaining at all dude, chill a bit. I think it's showing growth and self scouting by McD...I view it as a positive, got it :)

1 hour ago, HardyBoy said:

You mean how there was reported friction between Dabol and McD?

Also, I'm not complaining at all dude, chill a bit. I think it's showing growth and self scouting by McD...I view it as a positive, got it :)

Sorry.  I didn't have my Snickers this morning.  I'm feeling better now.

I see where you're coming from on the point but I've never actually felt that the "friction" between the two was as bad as everyone seems to think.  Like you said, it's showing growth and self scouting so him being in the meetings with the offense and offering up a defensive perspective when the offensive game plan is being presented would likely cause tension.

22 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Amongst the reasons, but more to the top of the list is that Sean needed more from the Defense than Frazier had the capacity to deliver.  I as well believe that McDermott was thinking he would be damned certain to not have another repeat of a Frazier post season defense falling flat again because of a severe lack of flexibility of scheme and in game adjustments, Imo, Frazier coached himself out of a job, and Sean knows he can do a much better job with this Defense as it is currently comprised. 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Sorry.  I didn't have my Snickers this morning.  I'm feeling better now.

I see where you're coming from on the point but I've never actually felt that the "friction" between the two was as bad as everyone seems to think.  Like you said, it's showing growth and self scouting so him being in the meetings with the offense and offering up a defensive perspective when the offensive game plan is being presented would likely cause tension.

I mean they do a great job keeping things on house.

That's a good point, that defensive perspective is super important!...now if I remember correctly, Dabol was a defensive coach as well.

As you raised, for someone who is so ahead of the curve going for it on 4th down, interesting on why would there be tension...

So let's pretend there actually was tension. What could have caused it? Allen's development and usage maybe? Actually, if I had to guess, McD would have wanted more balance in terms of run pass, or maybe he wanted more play action, but dorsey had less...there are some options though

19 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

You honestly think he’s on the hot seat… 🤣

I think it was always the plan.

Once they decided to fire Leslie Frasier. 

I wonder if they couldnt get a DC that they liked on the market.  So they stood pat.  And/or gave Eric Washington the chance to earn the DC title

Which is probably why he was announced as DC today.  Albeit with a differently-worded title.   He is now officially highest on the depth chart for all defensive coaches.   Reporting directly to the head coach.

Which means, IMO, that Washington is the new Frazier.  The puppet and or personal-assistant to run McD's defense.  I do Not think the D will change this year in any meaningful way.

Edited by maddenboy

21 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

The people in this thread that thing McDermott took over playcalling duties to save his job are just adorable.

Make no mistake about it, sans a colossal disaster Sean McDermott is not getting fired after the season.  period.  

IMO I think he took over duties because he wasn’t completely satisfied with the job Frazier did this season.  He knows that the Bills have a great chance to go all the way this season, and he’s rather put it all on his shoulders rather than someone else’s

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

I guess I get the obsession with speed because it's visibly apparent and flashy.

But for me, if I'm building a team, I'd value size, strength, and football IQ at most positions before speed.  

You can scheme for most speed advantages an opponent may possess.  But you can't really scheme for being physically dominated and mentally outsmarted.  

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

The people in this thread that thing McDermott took over playcalling duties to save his job are just adorable.

Make no mistake about it, sans a colossal disaster Sean McDermott is not getting fired after the season.  period.  

IMO I think he took over duties because he wasn’t completely satisfied with the job Frazier did this season.  He knows that the Bills have a great chance to go all the way this season, and he’s rather put it all on his shoulders rather than someone else’s

What I was suggesting was image enhancing. As far as McDermott getting fired it’s way too early to predict that imo. There has to be a lot more evidence before that happens if it happens at all. McDermott has accomplished major strides for this organization and to think that people can predict his future before the season even starts is ludicrous to me. At the end of the season when the future of the Bills is being evaluated I would say that McDermott would have to have pretty much a total collapse before the higher ups call for his head. I’m hoping that we’ll see a vast improvement in results this year compared to the last few seasons. Btw, it’s not just McDermott who has to step up this season, imo, Dorsey and/or Allen have to step up as well. 

21 hours ago, Gugny said:

Let us pray. 

“Regular Season Hall of Fame Coach” 😂

10 hours ago, Starr Almighty said:

I'm trying to find a play when McD was DC with this situation. 3rd and 4 and the DBs play 12 yards off the line. If I can find this, then I'll know nothing will change. 

Im sorry.

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

On 6/20/2023 at 9:55 PM, Tipster19 said:

Why? Because he's a control freak and they fired the DC.

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

You honestly think he’s on the hot seat… 🤣

No.  Unless you're talking a 3-14 season with Allen as the starter.  I think the Pegula's have been enamored with McDermott since their first interview back in 2017.  Two or three more years of being out-coached in the post season elimination game though and they'd pry consider it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.