Did McDermott want to take over the play calling because of the difference in defense?

Tipster19

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

The people in this thread that thing McDermott took over playcalling duties to save his job are just adorable.

Make no mistake about it, sans a colossal disaster Sean McDermott is not getting fired after the season.  period.  

IMO I think he took over duties because he wasn’t completely satisfied with the job Frazier did this season.  He knows that the Bills have a great chance to go all the way this season, and he’s rather put it all on his shoulders rather than someone else’s

He would be bordering on incompetent or loyal to a fault if he did not move on from Frazier and either answer would have been enough to put him at risk next year if something similar happened. Playing the game of what shade of grey it was is even more adorable than just saying it's grey. 

34 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

Thanks this is what I was looking for. Guess nothing will change after all

Not sure why you said sorry other than trying to be a smart ass.

Read my comment again.

I was saying Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

No.  Unless you're talking a 3-14 season with Allen as the starter.  I think the Pegula's have been enamored with McDermott since their first interview back in 2017.  Two or three more years of being out-coached in the post season elimination game though and they'd pry consider it.

Ok I agree with you.  McDermott is ridiculously safe. 

Vs the Bengals, McD didn't look happy at all after a 6 yard completion on 3rd and 4 where the CB's were all lined up 9 yards off the ball and going backwards at the snap. A couple weeks earlier vs the patriots I think, where the network showed an easy first down on 3rd and nine. They showed and mentioned how all the CB's lined up 15 yards downfield and both Safeties 20 yards back.

:13 seconds the year before could be part of his thinking as well. Now it'll be his defense and his calls every defensive down.

On 6/21/2023 at 10:18 PM, Einstein said:

Im sorry.

Context is key. If this is the season opener against the Broncos following the SB, then Trevor Simian throws an INT to end this drive… might even be on this play. It’s not the SB, because Carolina never had a 7-0 lead. A still photo of how their defense lines up without seeing how the play unfolds is hardly a “gotcha” moment. Sorry. 

Just now, transient said:

Context is key. If this is the season opener against the Broncos following the SB, then Trevor Simian throws an INT to end this drive… 

lol, what? The fact that McD and Frazier called the exact same defensive formation on 3rd and short doesn’t matter because it was an early season game instead of a playoff game?

Grasping at straws level 1,000.

7 minutes ago, Einstein said:

lol, what? The fact that McD and Frazier called the exact same defensive formation on 3rd and short doesn’t matter because it was an early season game instead of a playoff game?

Grasping at straws level 1,000.

Be obtuse all you like. You’re good at it. 

17 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

McDermott still won 4 playoff games. He’s 4-4. 

He's actually 4 - 5

2017 Lost Jacksonville WC
2019 Lost Houston Texans WC

2020 Lost to KC Chiefs
2021 Lost to KC Chiefs
2022 Lost to Cinn Begals

unfortunately those 5 losses eliminated us from the playoffs all 5 times.

The 1st one was forgiveable... After that lots of questions about McDermotts ability to coach a team to a championship.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

He's actually 4 - 5

2017 Lost Jacksonville WC
2019 Lost Houston Texans WC

2020 Lost to KC Chiefs
2021 Lost to KC Chiefs
2022 Lost to Cinn Begals

unfortunately those 5 losses eliminated us from the playoffs all 5 times.

The 1st one was forgiveable... After that lots of questions about McDermotts ability to coach a team to a championship.

Sorry. I don’t even think of the pre-Allen days anymore. Forgot we lost w/ Tyrod. I’m not saying there isn’t questions. It’s just not fair to put him in a Marvin Lewis category bc he does have some playoff wins. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.