Diggs NOT at mandatory minicamp, McDermott "very concerned" DAY 2 UPDATE: He's back

Process

43 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

So now it sounds like Diggs is either accusing the Head Coach or Quarterback of lying.  Just great.

I was slowly gaining my enthusiasm and optimism back for this upcoming season, and this mess is quickly reminding me of how my spirits were crushed just six months ago.  I swear this team is cursed.

Von also spoke to the media yesterday. I would be curious to hear Poyers take on the situation. He has been all in on Buffalo since day one, and committed to turning this thing around here. I think he likely also signed for under market value for his final deal. 

28 minutes ago, damj said:

I'm also concerned that this will continue to simmer all through the season and continue to be a distraction.

Don't be concerned, just prepare. This will 100% be an issue during the season. We were having talks about Diggs on the sideline on a handful of occasions before the CIN game. I can't imagine that it will suddenly put to bed for the next 6 months. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Just now, StHustle said:

The whole “help you sleep at night thing” Diggs posted and going back to Brit posting “My Husband Would Never” is starting to really make me think Josh did some scumbag stuff. If that is indeed what caused Josh to lead the Bills to only 10 points vs the Bengals, what a huge double whammy. I really hope that if this is true it doesn’t become public as long as Josh is a Bill. 

Yeah, but 5 months later and Diggs still can't get past it. This will probably simmer all season

Just now, Mango said:

Don't be concerned, just prepare. This will 100% be an issue during the season. We were having talks about Diggs on the sideline on a handful of occasions before the CIN game. I can't imagine that it will suddenly put to bed for the next 6 months. 

Especially when they have a bad game or 2, it'll probably flair up again. Bickering Bills part 2.

• Like (+1) 1

So...how does day 2 shape up. Get your predictions in NOW people!

I'm going with:

1: Diggs shows up.

2. Diggs even practices

3. The Diggs supporters go out of their way to say "SEE TOLD YA SO"

4. Diggs meets the media

5. Diggs says some weird stuff that's easy to read into.

6. Diggs detractors go out of their way to say "SEE TOLD YA SO"

Everyone wins. Everyone loses. Rinse repeat until the end of this run of practices.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

I have been so damn busy with my life that I haven’t been reading about anything regarding the Bills.  Seen this on an Athletic pop up.  My guess is he’s pissed that Chad Hall got canned without Diggs blessing while Allen was able to hand pick Dorsey.  I think Diggs is making a power move that he deserves the same treatment as Allen.  He’s also using this leverage due to the fact that the Bills can’t get rid of his contract and they’re stuck with Diggs.  It’s a pure power move IMHO.

11 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

calls are public record boss - you’d have the documentation and not just sketchy comments 

That depends entirely on who was called and how. 

If something did happen, I'd be surprised if a call went to 911 versus a local LEO getting a direct call and responding unofficially.

If it was OP police and not the Erie County Sheriff or the NY State Police, I could easily see that being handled off the record.

We should start a prediction game for the next time an adaptation of the Kelly/Reed rumors can be reinserted into a beef. It worked for Hasek and Nolan, seems to be fitting here too, surprised we didn't have Rex sniffing Whaley's ex's feet or Tim Murray making a play for Mrs. Moulson.

Edited by pocoboy

2 hours ago, Beast said:

What about my statement is not true?

We heard of some issues Diggs had in Minnesota. A lot of us, to include myself, didn’t give a whole lot of credence to perceived issues.

Four years later, one player doesn’t show to a mandatory session. This after the last time we saw him he was flapping his arms on the sidelines like he was going to take flight while yelling at Allen.

Diggs is a great talent. He also appears to be emotionally fragile and doesn’t handle adversity all that well. The social media stuff is down right stupid and further shows the “me” in him. 

A friend who is a Vikings fan said the Diggs stuff was literally cause Cousins was simply throwing the ball to Adam Theilan more than him that’s it. 
You are correct he’s a very fragile guy emotionally that needs to be the center of attention at all times in Josh’s epic game in KC last year he was literally getting upset on the sidelines cause Gabe Davis kept getting the ball. 
He unfollowed the bills on instagram for a reason he says it is non football related. So it means he’s got personal issues with people in the Bills organization. 

• Agree 2

I just find it really difficult to give a crap about Diggs after seeing a guy literally die on the field last year.

There is more to life than to give a crap about a multi-millionaire WR tantrum.  

I honestly feel like Diggs has never been satisfied or happy in his life for an extended period of time.  Seems like he is always seeking out the next issue within his mind.  I wish the guy would get some help because he has a great life and needs to enjoy it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

16 minutes ago, boyst said:

Can someone give bullet points and a debrief of this without the drama?

Diggs was there and will be there. He skipped out on 1 minicamp practice (so far). McD completely mishandled discussing it with the press.

Bickering Bills. Super Bowl.

9 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

We should start a prediction game for the next time an adaptation of the Kelly/Reed rumors can be reinserted into a beef. It worked for Hasek and Nolan, seems to be fitting here too, surprised we didn't have Rex sniffing Whaley's ex's feet or Tim Murray making a play for Mrs. Moulson.

It didn't work. If the Sabres won in 99 they would have been maybe the worst overall team to ever with the Stanley Cup. Without Hasek the team would be flat out bad. Bottom 5 in goal differential. I don't give Nolan much credit for riding Haseks coat tails.  That stretch from Dom was probably the greatest individual performance the league has ever seen.

On 2/24/2023 at 3:41 PM, Mango said:

For poops and laughs I was curious what the GAA and Point Differential of that 99 team would be if they just had average goal tending. 

Average Save Percentage league wide was .905 in 98-99. The team saw 2461 shots. Adjusted for average goal tending the Sabres GAA 2.85. Hasek was averaging 1.87. Nearly a goal a game less. An average goaltender would move the Sabres from 2nd over all to 22nd in a league of 27. Their goal differential was +32, it moves to -32 and down to 20th in the league. 

Rolosons S% .909. So pretty similar to the above. 

The only other similar swing I can think of in pro sports in my lifetime are the 2011 Colts without Manning. But even that isn't the same. That Colts team is probably average with anybody better than Curtis Painter and Dan Orlovsky behind center...and actually trying to win games...

13 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

A friend who is a Vikings fan said the Diggs stuff was literally cause Cousins was simply throwing the ball to Adam Theilan more than him that’s it. 
You are correct he’s a very fragile guy emotionally that needs to be the center of attention at all times in Josh’s epic game in KC last year he was literally getting upset on the sidelines cause Gabe Davis kept getting the ball. 
He unfollowed the bills on instagram for a reason he says it is non football related. So it means he’s got personal issues with people in the Bills organization. 

Your Vikings fan is wrong about is own team. Diggs' unhappiness was due to the Vikings adopting an outdated run-first offense in a pass-centric league. And he was right. And all of those coaches were fired shortly after he was traded and they hired a new school, offensive-based, passing coach.

If Diggs wants a seat at the Offensive table and wants some input in regards to X's and O's and coaching changes then the Bills kind of screwed the pooch here by putting him on the outside looking in. Diggs is a captain, and a top experienced player for us. He deserves to be able to have some input....

I would understand Diggs being upset, but this also should have been addressed from January through today, It should not of been an issue and that's on Diggs for not speaking up sooner and letting it fester. This could of been resolved sooner, minus more drama.

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Lmao.. you're funny man. 

This whole bartender thing has never been confirmed, except ppl with these "sources" and who cares if true. And dudes what 26 27 , why wouldn't he be hanging with hot broads. He works his butt off at his craft and is beloved in the locker room. 

Take a chill pill yall

I have no idea if it's true, but if it is it certainly explains why Diggs was so pissed after that game and continues to be so.  I don't think any other explanation really explains why Diggs is pissed / not at practice.

Teams go through a cycle. They start young, everyone is hungry for success, they bond through struggles and see the rewards of what hard work and perseverance will bring. The Bills had that magical moment from the time Diggs arrived until some time last season. Then that idea of everyone pulling in the same direction, everyone sacrificing individual stats/attention for the good of the team started to erode.

I just watched the Nuggets win the NBA championship. They are where the Bills were a couple years ago, but with a better ending to their season. They're my NBA team, and I probably should be more optimistic. But in my head I know that this era of good feeling won't last forever. In fact, if a couple key guys leave for more money this offseason, and things start a little rough next year, the whole Ted Lasso thing will become a distant memory. Just look at this scene from Miami after the Nuggets lost Game 2 at home. "Uncle Jeff" Green, 36 years old, veteran of multiple teams, has the team over to his Miami house for dinner. A magical moment - Peak Nuggets! Everyone pulling together to say it's all right, we got this - that I somehow think won't happen again.

• Like (+1) 1

Diggs is going to cook Sauce in week 1. 9 catches, 183 yards, 2 TD's. All will be forgiven and forgotten. Until we lay an egg in like week 4 and then Diggs posts a picture of him in a Jags uniform on instagram. Everyone freaks out. The rest of the season is up and down but we finish 13-4 and just lose out on the 1 seed. After winning a game that is a little too close in the Wild Card round, we host the red hot Bengals in a snowy OP. The offense is quiet throughout and the defense struggles. But this time we hang around until it's a 27-21 game with just 13 seconds left and we have the ball at our own 43 yard line. Allen hits Diggs on a post route and he splits the safety and corner and takes it to the house for the game winning TD. We going into Arrowhead the next week and blow the Chiefs out to head to the Super Bowl. Then a once in a 100 year virus hits for the 2nd time in 5 years and the Super Bowl gets canceled. 

Edited by stlbills13
  • Haha (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

calls are public record boss - you’d have the documentation and not just sketchy comments 

Umm, “boss,” local police sweep more under the rug than you’d ever believe…

Again, I don’t know whether any of this is true but it came, unsolicited, from two separate sources who don’t know each other but have some tie to local OP police.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Your Vikings fan is wrong about is own team. Diggs' unhappiness was due to the Vikings adopting an outdated run-first offense in a pass-centric league. And he was right. And all of those coaches were fired shortly after he was traded and they hired a new school, offensive-based, passing coach.

Being correct doesn't give you carte blanche to be a wiener. I keep reading, "well he is right" as if that is an excuse. It really isn't. 

• Like (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I'm going with:

2. Diggs even practices

4. Diggs meets the media

Everyone wins. Everyone loses. Rinse repeat until the end of this run of practices.

I don't think it's going to be that simple. I wish it was. 

We have seen the distraction Diggs created in Minn. We have seen a level of immaturity on his part. I'd be pretty surprised if this goes away fast. 

It's likely to calm down and rear it's head several times throughout the season. I've seen this in the works starting last season. 

I don't think Diggs had the maturity level to let things go. Things will likely get worse in my opinion. 

Sadly, both sides really have no outs. 

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I'm going with:

2. Diggs even practices

4. Diggs meets the media

Pretty much.

I posted this yesterday, but this is what will happen: 

I’d be shocked if he is not at minicamp today.

Expect to begin hearing from media sources that this was all a big misunderstanding.

That is the PR team at PSE earning their money.

They will mobilize Sal Capaccio, Chris Brown, Steve Tasker, etc to begin “leaking” that it was not football related, and when asked, McBeane will say it’s in the past and they’re moving on and they will make no further comments.

On the flip side, Diggs agent will begin leaking to other reporters (Schaffer, Rappaport, etc) that Diggs was always willing to practice today but non-football matters kept him away, even though he REALLY wanted to be there.

And it’ll all get swept under the rug.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

I just find it really difficult to give a crap about Diggs after seeing a guy literally die on the field last year.

I honestly feel like Diggs has never been satisfied or happy in his life for an extended period of time.  Seems like he is always seeking out the next issue within his mind.  I wish the guy would get some help because he has a great life and needs to enjoy it.

Come on now. Diggs stayed beyond at the hospital when Damar got hurt. He's not all bad. 

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I wonder if Hopkins is waiting the Diggs situation out.  It’s really the only leverage the Bills have over Diggs.  Once Hopkins signs with someone, Diggs is free to go full Diva.  

I dont think Hopkins has anything to do with anything regarding this situation.

• Agree 2

My source, who is one of the top script writers in thevNFL said the league and his team of writers approached Diggs with a very generous offer to cause drama and add some juice to the off season until training camp

He's very reliable..

Diggs accepted. Boom. It's just part of the script, everyone can relax

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Everything in life is pretty simple. There are always a million variables in every situation. You just have to learn how to prioritize them. 

If there are a "million variables in every situation" to consider then is it really that simple? 

10 minutes ago, eball said:

Umm, “boss,” local police sweep more under the rug than you’d ever believe…

Again, I don’t know whether any of this is true but it came, unsolicited, from two separate sources who don’t know each other but have some tie to local OP police.

It was known in local circles in Orchard Park long before it was ever discussed on this board.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

I agree with this, but not Diggs specifically. 

I still feel some exhaustion from last year. The whole thing just hits different still. I have been leaning into hockey quite a bit more than usual. 

Don't get me wrong, I am still here, and posting, and keeping track of everything. But the whole thing carries a lot less weight with me than it did before. 

19 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You are incorrect he was starting to fade into the background target wise glad I could help  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.