Buffalo Bills Depth Chart Per ESPN

PrimeTime101

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/buf/buffalo-bills

Take a look Tell me if there is anything you would change. 

Some interesting notes

Some thought Hines would see more RB snaps this year, but CLEARLY they have Hines just as a returner with Cook having the backup.

Cook is slotted at #1 (Could this change at all?)

I think it is interesting that Kincaid is listed #2 TE. Thoughts?

They have Bates at RG, but I think It will not take long for Cyrus to win over that job.

They have Floyd in there for obvious passing downs as a WLB

Klien down the middle LB. Will this change?

And Elam is listed at the #2 CB.

Cam Lewis and Siran Neal as #4's. who is your extremely early surprise rising star and who is your definate camp dropout. 

Any thoughts or changes on these positions? 

• Like (+1) 1

Couple things I think are incorrect:

Leonard Floyd is a pass-rushing DE and will not be playing WLB in our system. The only reason he is listed there is because he played OLB with the Rams.

Tyler Matakevich will not be the direct backup to Milano since he's really just a special teamer.

Taron Johnson will not be Tre's direct backup, but he's only listed there because there is no Nickel CB spot on this depth chart.

Personally, I think the depth charts on OurLads tend to be the most accurate:

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/BUF

• Like (+1) 6

It depends on who at ESPN is doing their team's depth chart. For example, they still have Connor McGovern liated as a starter for the Jets:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/nyj

[Thanks to @JerseyBills for the correction!]

I believe Alaina does ours, and I think she had our D as 4-2-5 last year.

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Couple things I think are incorrect:

Leonard Floyd is a pass-rushing DE and will not be playing WLB in our system. The only reason he is listed there is because he played OLB with the Rams.

Tyler Matakevich will not be the direct backup to Milano since he's really just a special teamer.

Taron Johnson will not be Tre's direct backup, but he's only listed there because there is no Nickel CB spot on this depth chart.

I think Floyd takes the old Lorenzo Alexander role.  He will be used all over the place.  Olb I thinks the proper listing 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Some interesting notes

Some thought Hines would see more RB snaps this year, but CLEARLY they have Hines just as a returner with Cook having the backup.

They have Bates at RG, but I think It will not take long for Cyrus to win over that job.

Cam Lewis and Siran Neal as #4's. who is your extremely early surprise rising star and who is your definate camp dropout. 

This isn’t official or endorsed by the team at all, ESPN has no idea. 

46 minutes ago, chongli said:

It depends on who at ESPN is doing their team's depth chart. For example, they still have Connor McGovern liated as a starter for the Jets:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/nyj

I believe Alaina does ours, and I think she had our D as 4-2-5 last year.

Connor McGovern is or was a Jet last year. We got the guy from Dallas, same name

• Like (+1) 4

Yeah this just lazy and an unveiled listing by of players/roles.

Taron Johnson is a starter. He plays nickel which is our base defense.

Bills play two LBs almost exclusively.  Floyd is not a WLB. He is the starting DE until Miller comes back.

You could have a few different base offenses but it really doesn't matter. Kincaid is either the WR3 in the slot or the TE2. He will have far more snaps than Shakir or any other WR not named Diggs or Davis.

As others said Matakevich will never see the field at MLB. 

If Klein is the starter next to Milano then my guess is Bernard and Williams are the backups with Dodson probably not dressing. 

As for OL, this may be how they start camp but by the end I think O'Cyrus starts at RG and Bates is backup. Brown probably wins the RT job and probably has four weeks to prove he can keep it. If he falters Shell will get a chance to start. Heck Shell might win the job in camp too. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Much better.  This was done by someone who actually knows the team.  The ESPN version was done by some intern who asked ChatGPT.  

The only mistake I saw was that they have some guy named Vacant listed as the defensive coordinator!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mynamemike said:

I think Floyd takes the old Lorenzo Alexander role.  He will be used all over the place.  Olb I thinks the proper listing 

I agree.

I think he’s going to be more than just an edge rusher.  He’s competent dropping back into zone- super athletic and long.  He’s kinda like Edmunds in that way

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Some interesting notes

McD & Dorsey don't like Hines. If his career low usage last year wasn't a clue, not sure what is. He'll play out this year and then move on.

Bates was probably our best lineman last year and he's on a cheap deal. I don't see it likely that a rookie takes his spot unless they plan to trade him.

Not sure why it's interesting that Kincaid is slotted at TE2. Is that not his role?

Klein at MLB is also not a surprise at this time. He's played the role and is the veteran int he room. Maybe he doesn't even make the team, but until someone takes the job, it's his to lose.

Elam at #2 should also be a no-brainer.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Some interesting notes

The way I believe it shakes out is this:

RB: Cook will see extensive work but may or may not be the "starter" based on what formation we start out in. I think Harris sees a lot of work on early downs and snaps Allen takes from under center.

TE: Kincaid will likely be listed as TE2. However in the event of a Knox injury I think Kincaid would stay at his normal spot and the TE3 (Maybe Morris) would start as inline TE.

G: Can easily see Bates (or Edwards) start out as RG until Torrence is pushed in to start due to injury. However, I don't discount Torrence winning the job outright in TC. Either way he will be in early in the season.

Floyd may very well start out as the starter in Vons spot until he comes back. Then be the main guy to rotate Von out and keep snaps down during the regular season. I see them moving him around a bit.

CB is very fluid at the moment. I don't have anyone inked into any spot quite yet. Obviously, if Tre is back to normal he's #1. 

1- Tre

2- Elam/Jackson/Benford

3-(Nickel) Johnson

4- Elam/Jackson/Benford

5- Elam/Jackson/Benford

6- Neal/Lewis/Dantzler/Rookie

I give the edge to Neal for the #6 CB.

LB: I'm not even sure Klein makes the squad. Solid vet, but could easily be a camp cut.

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

McD & Dorsey don't like Hines. If his career low usage last year wasn't a clue, not sure what is. He'll play out this year and then move on.

Bates was probably our best lineman last year and he's on a cheap deal. I don't see it likely that a rookie takes his spot unless they plan to trade him.

Not sure why it's interesting that Kincaid is slotted at TE2. Is that not his role?

Klein at MLB is also not a surprise at this time. He's played the role and is the veteran int he room. Maybe he doesn't even make the team, but until someone takes the job, it's his to lose.

Elam at #2 should also be a no-brainer.

If they don’t like Hines why did they rework his deal and not just cut him? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

They have Poona Ford as the #3 3-tech, but I have heard he is a 1-tech. 
We need a good 1-tech and I assumed it was Poona….

I think he should be the #2 1-tech.

little help?

I also think we play a ton of four wide like we use to all the time….

But now it’ll be: Diggs, Davis, Shakir and Kincaid (Yes, he’s a WR).

1 hour ago, JDubya76 said:

If Bates keeps Torrence in the bench I will be wildly disappointed, the kid was listed by many as the best pure guard in the draft.

only way it’s not disappointing is if Bates is playing at a really high level that a rookie couldn’t match.  

Edited by RyanC883

6 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Floyd may very well start out as the starter in Von's spot until he comes back. Then be the main guy to rotate Von out and keep snaps down during the regular season. I see them moving him around a bit.

Agree.  It would seem that they fully understand how much better the D played with Miller in there.  

Since Miller's status is dicey, since it's a big IF that he'll still be 100% at 34, it makes sense that Floyd was an insurance policy for Miller.  Floyd at 31 may be able to provide what Miller did at 33.  

3 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

Hot take - our only weakness is backup C and backup LT/RT and backup MLB

How is Ryan Bates a weakness at backup C?! Is it because he's listed only at RG in some arbitrary, cookie-cutter offseason content generated without any authentic analysis?

Even IF Bates wins the RG job, he should still be the primary backup to Morse. We'd have Torrence, and maybe Edwards and/or Boettger, to step into the RG spot. Bates can legitimately back up ALL 5 spots. Even IF he's a starter. I think his greatest value is as the 6th man. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

only way it’s not disappointing is if Bates is playing at a really high level that a rookie couldn’t match.  

Though I do think Bates is a good player, I’m not sure he has another, higher level. I am, however, extremely open to pleasant surprises.

Edited by JDubya76

9 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

They would've saved 1.5 million releasing him so they like him enough to keep him on the roster.  The question is whether he'll be just a return guy or used more in the offense now that he should have a firm grasp on the playbook.  

It's interesting that both depth charts in this thread have Settle as the 2nd DT.  I see him as the odd man out with Oliver, Jones, Ford, and Phillips as the starting four.

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

They would've saved 1.5 million releasing him so they like him enough to keep him on the roster.  The question is whether he'll be just a return guy or used more in the offense now that he should have a firm grasp on the playbook.  

It's interesting that both depth charts in this thread have Settle as the 2nd DT.  I see him as the odd man out with Oliver, Jones, Ford, and Phillips as the starting four.

I agree on Settle.  I’m thinking without injuries he probably won’t make the team.  He was a liability last year too.

The weirdest thing is ESPN has us in a 4-3-4.  Do they really expect us to change from a 4-2-5 or is that just laziness?  Did ESPN standardize all 4 down linemen teams as 4-3-4?  Do they really expect Leonard Floyd to line up as a LB???

They have Kincaid as TE2 and it's reasonable to list him that way.  But clearly, Kincaid's role isn't to be Knox's backup.  I'm excited to see how Dorsey uses him.  

I'm not entirely convinced Shakir starts.  I'm keeping my eyes on Harty and Sherfield.  Plus, you've gotta imagine we'll do more 1-2 this year and that would put Shakir on the bench.   

I'm not convinced that Cook starts.  I think Harris will be the guy we see most often on first-downs.  

The OL is hardly set in stone.  There will be a battle for the guard spots.  And Brown's spot at RT isn't guaranteed if he doesn't play better than last season.

I'm not sure what I expect at MLB this season.  The whole post-Edmunds LB situation gets even more interesting if McD does indeed decide to run 4-3 more often.  It'll be fun watching the LBs this preseason.  

Rapp is an interesting addition.   Will we play big nickel more often?  

22 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Some interesting notes

Hines is listed as the #4 RB. I think he will get RB reps,especially if Harty takes over punt returns. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

after what happened at the end of last year it would be a hard take to take Hines off the returns

True.  But it would also be hard to ignore his speed and playmaking ability.  

Hines averaged 47 catches/year in his five prior NFL seasons.  Then he joined the Bills, a pass-happy team with a desperate need for an outlet receiver, and he hauls in only 5 passes.  It was a criminal waste of talent though, supposedly, his slowness to learn the offense contributed to his lack of use.  

Beane says we'll see him more involved in the offense this year and that, to me, is good news.  I'm indifferent about whether we use Harty or Hines on returns.  

19 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

If they don’t like Hines why did they rework his deal and not just cut him? 

Because Beane likes him and he's a great returner. This isn't the first time coach and GM have been on a different page. Did you not listen to Beane's presser on the topic?

The reference to not liking him is giving him virtually no offensive opportunities when he played a critical offensive role for Indy and has been very good at that role thus far in his career. His stint as a Bill has been the worst stretch of his career production wise and it all comes down to extremely limited usage and poor plays when they do use him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.