RD 7, Pick 252: CB Alex Austin, Oregon State

Chandler#81

• Chandler#81 changed the title to RD 7, Pick 252: CB Alex Austin, Oregon State
2 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Everyone looks good on their highlight video.

I guess. Well, we will just have to see how he plays when the games start. :)

2 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I do like that he can hit tho. Since he's slow, maybe they move him inside.

Hmmm. Maybe!! :)

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Some do not understand that with 7th round team the team chooses where player goes and get a 4 year contract.   With UDFAs player/agent chooses and often the player will get a 3 round allowing player to go to free agency early if play warranted.

Either that or Lightning is terrible at satire.

Add to that agents will tend to steer UDFA towards weaker teams as player then has better chance to make roster, so Bills aren't getting the cream of the crop.  Player drafted typically will get bigger contract and bigger signing bonus and teams will more try to hang onto the guy.

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Some do not understand that with 7th round team the team chooses where player goes and get a 4 year contract.   With UDFAs player/agent chooses and often the player will get a 3 round allowing player to go to free agency early if play warranted.

Either that or Lightning is terrible at satire.

Turn on your satire detector Lime!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JDubya76 said:

I like this kid, he could push someone off the roster. 

push GIF

5 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Everyone looks good on their highlight video. I do like that he can hit tho. Since he's slow, maybe they move him inside.

Are we sure he's slow?

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

Good trash talk and celebration skills

The consensus among most talent evaluators are that his celebration skills are indeed elite.

However NFL.com had him 73rd in trash talking for a cornerback so you might want to reconsider that statement.

Too often people here assume someone with celebration skills are also great trash talkers. That belief is just an oversimplification by those (and it seems to be a growing number) who view the world through a binary lens and can't differentiate the complexity in our world.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

McD has turned these late-round defensive backs into starters pretty consistently. Dane, Levi, Hamlin, Benford. Even Wildgoose was poached and became a starter for the Redskins. 

That reminds me - i have a limited edition Wildgoose Bills jersey for sale, no time wasters please.

Will consider a straight swap for a match-worn Vontae Davis Bills jersey.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

That reminds me - i have a limited edition Wildgoose Bills jersey for sale, no time wasters please.

Will consider a straight swap for a match-worn Vontae Davis Bills jersey.

I have a Vontae jersey and will consider the trade.

Mine is actually autographed but strangely he only signed his first name, then rushed off.

• Haha (+1) 3

Good Size. Can play inside (probably his best position) could take on a position change as well. 

Change of direction is good. Looks a bit stiff and awkward but can change direction decently (this is an issue a lot of times with bigger CBS). Some Yoga should improve this area. 

handsy like alot. In NFL he will get flagged a ton but good player no major complaints taking a CB late. CB is a position group that I think more teams should always draft every year. They tend to be able to offer so much to teams with 5 positions to be able to play on Defense. Then ST. Value with the position grouo is amazing. 

and like Bigger CBs as well. 

instincts and awareness or play recognition (whatever you want to call it) probably his biggest weakness. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, foreboding said:

IKR? Crazy that we didn't grab some kid w/ skills like Tre White in the 7th round. 

I just don’t get the hype over picks past round 3, maybe 4 for this team.  There is almost 0 chance they make the roster, so it’s all pretty much “Meh”, if they stick cool, if not, can’t say I’m surprised.  This roster is pretty good, top to bottom.  I would love to see a few positions have more talent at the top end, but to expect  a late round pick to unseat almost anybody on this roster is getting your hopes up for a lot of nothing.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I just don’t get the hype over picks past round 3, maybe 4 for this team.  There is almost 0 chance they make the roster, so it’s all pretty much “Meh”, if they stick cool, if not, can’t say I’m surprised.  This roster is pretty good, top to bottom.  I would love to see a few positions have more talent at the top end, but to expect  a late round pick to unseat almost anybody on this roster is getting your hopes up for a lot of nothing.

I hear you. That said, most of our late-round DBs seem to make the roster and several of them have started or get a lot of playing time. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

His skillset and physicality seems to point to him being a safety in the NFL. He's at his best when he can face the qb and react.

Yep...looks like he will be in pursuit of the last DB spot on the roster against Cam Lewis. S/CB hybrid who can fill in at both positions if the team is in an injury pinch.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Seems like a good kid, involved in charity work. I'm guessing that if he doesn't make the final 53, he'll be Wildgoosed off the practice squad.

Getting Wildgoosed sure sounds fun, but I did not like it at all! 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Seems like a good kid, involved in charity work. I'm guessing that if he doesn't make the final 53, he'll be Wildgoosed off the practice squad.

Maybe they exaggerate that “bad hammy” or ankle if he looks promising, then get him to the PS without getting much preseason film on him. I love the games they play.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

Am I missing something?

Kid looks like he can play. 

Meaning like why wasn’t he picked earlier? It happens all the time but different teams have different flavors of corner they like. 4.56 forty and he is a zone only corner takes about half the league out of it, so it just happens. But I like his game. I think he pushes for the back end of the roster. To me White, Elam, Benford, Johnson are locks. Outside of that it’s competition between Neal, Jackson, Austin, Cam Lewis. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

It's so nice to see players being happy to be drafted by Buffalo.

Oh, who was the poor guy, can’t name him, who looked like he was going to CRY when he got drafted by the Cheaters*?  I’m guessing he knows someone trapped in Belichick Hell. 

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Good Size. Can play inside (probably his best position) could take on a position change as well. 

Change of direction is good. Looks a bit stiff and awkward but can change direction decently (this is an issue a lot of times with bigger CBS). Some Yoga should improve this area. 

handsy like alot. In NFL he will get flagged a ton but good player no major complaints taking a CB late. CB is a position group that I think more teams should always draft every year. They tend to be able to offer so much to teams with 5 positions to be able to play on Defense. Then ST. Value with the position grouo is amazing. 

and like Bigger CBs as well. 

instincts and awareness or play recognition (whatever you want to call it) probably his biggest weakness. 

I never question this bills organization whenever it comes to corners, they find these guys in the later rounds, and they work them into free agents. They get good contracts

He’s gonna be a good player for us whenever he gets his opportunity

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Meaning like why wasn’t he picked earlier? It happens all the time but different teams have different flavors of corner they like. 4.56 forty and he is a zone only corner takes about half the league out of it, so it just happens. But I like his game. I think he pushes for the back end of the roster. To me White, Elam, Benford, Johnson are locks. Outside of that it’s competition between Neal, Jackson, Austin, Cam Lewis. 

They can always use depth. I hope the kid sticks around. 

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I never question this bills organization whenever it comes to corners, they find these guys in the later rounds, and they work them into free agents. They get good contracts

He’s gonna be a good player for us whenever he gets his opportunity

They need to figure out a way to turn those guys into picks the way they keep printing late round/UDFA corners into solid players.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.