What does our O-Line look like now?

DrDawkinstein

Dawkins - McGovern - Morse - Torrence - Brown

Quess    - Boettger    - Bates  - Edwards -  Doyle

(Doyle?) - (Broeker?)                                    (Gouraige?)

edit:

Broeker either PS, or in Boettger's spot if Beane pull's off a trade.

I dont know enough about UDFA OT Richard Gouraige yet. He might be able to replace Doyle at backup RT, and Doyle moves to backup LT. He might make the PS. He might just be camp fodder.

That right side could be REAL NASTY if those dudes get their stuff together and develop.

Or does Bates or Edwards have a chance of starting over Torrence, and McGovern plays RG?

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That right side could be REAL NASTY if those dudes get their stuff together and develop.

Or does Bates or Edwards have a chance of starting over Torrence, and McGovern plays RG?

I don't like the idea of Torrence next to Brown. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/29/2023 at 3:17 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

The 6 in bold are the interior lineman, excluding McGovern and Torrence, one of the other 4 will get cut or traded, my bet would be on Boettger as typically teams go with 5 interior and 4 tackles.  Or could they make a more shocking move and cut Morse?

Not 100% certain Torrence will start, could be Bates instead.  But if they were to cut Morse, then Torrence starts at guard and Bates at Center

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I think this is probably right. Hopefully we add another OT once it doesn’t affect the compensatory pick

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

One of those 6 in bold will get cut or traded, my bet would be on Boettger as typically teams go with 5 interior and 4 tackles.  Or could they make a more shocking move and cut Morse?

Not 100% certain Torrence will start, could be Bates instead.  But if they were to cut Morse, then Torrence starts at guard and Bates at Center

I'm interested to see if they would consider Edwards a RT option. He played there in college and a bit in LA his rookie year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I have wanted to see Brown moved inside just to see what it looks like. I feel like that guy might really mess people up in tight spaces. Just mauling guys. Now that ship probably sailed for good. I can see them giving Bates a look at RT early on. Especially if Brown continues to go backwards. I’m really not overly concerned about the line. I think we have some solid pieces to work with. I think the scheme was a bigger issue and I think that’s probably why we haven’t been able to run the ball. I don’t think we are coaching this offense up to run with any success. My biggest fear is that it’s a permanent issue. This season is going to really fall big on Dorsey because last year left a lot to be desired IMO.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I don't like the idea of Torrence next to Brown. 

It seems like you don’t like much the last two days, 😂

• Haha (+1) 2

Boettger was never going to make the team in 2023. They did him right by keeping him on the team to rehab, but he is not in the plans. He was already a replacement level OG at best, and is now coming off the absolute worst injury possible for an NFL player.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

At this point if I suggested Terry Pegula at right tackle I think you'd be willing to give it a chance if it means less Spencer Brown haha.

I’m in the gym packing on the muscle right now!!!  I got this, we don’t need Terry

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Good question. I think pass protection skills win the day but who knows?

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Big Cy, IMO, will sit a year. Beane comments made it sound like they have a diet plan for him. 

They aren’t benching Bates, and nor should they. 

You may be right but I really dislike the idea of another 2nd rd pick being redshirted.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Big Cy, IMO, will sit a year. Beane comments made it sound like they have a diet plan for him. 

They aren’t benching Bates, and nor should they. 

No they didn’t.  Beane mentioned he expected the transition to be like it was for him when he came from Louisana to Florida. He was on the 3rd team….then immediately became starter before the season

17 minutes ago, 947 said:

Boettger was never going to make the team in 2023. They did him right by keeping him on the team to rehab, but he is not in the plans. He was already a replacement level OG at best, and is now coming off the absolute worst injury possible for an NFL player.

Vet practice squad if not scooped up 

• Like (+1) 1

McGovern was insurance - he isn’t starting after the Torrence pick.  I was never a fan of the signing.  I guess a pass pro upgrade over Saffold.  

But this group needs NASTY and to RUN THE BALL IN THE RED ZONE:

Dawkins - Bates - Morse - Torrence - Brown, but the good version.  

McGovern 

Edwards

Mancz 

Ques 

Doyle

55 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

One of those 6 in bold will get cut or traded, my bet would be on Boettger as typically teams go with 5 interior and 4 tackles.  Or could they make a more shocking move and cut Morse?

I doubt they cut Morse.

11 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

McGovern was insurance - he isn’t starting after the Torrence pick.  I was never a fan of the signing.  I guess a pass pro upgrade over Saffold.  

But this group needs NASTY and to RUN THE BALL IN THE RED ZONE:

Dawkins - Bates - Morse - Torrence - Brown, but the good version.  

McGovern 

Edwards

Mancz 

Ques 

Doyle

We arent paying McGovern $7M+/yr to not start. He's pretty much a sure thing.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 5

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

We arent paying McGovern $7M+/yr to not start. He's pretty much a sure thing.

Meh - the rookie drafted in RD 2 makes that salary easy to push down the depth chart to the role he probably belongs at and that’s backup Guard and a solid one.   

Bills' signing of Connor McGovern named among worst free agency decisions in NFL

Here’s PFN’s full breakdown on McGovern’s deal he signed with the Bills:

Had the Bills signed the other Connor McGovern interior offensive lineman, the one they saw twice a year for three years, the $7.5 million average annual value would make sense. He’s played at that level for a number of years now and still has some great football ahead of him.

But the Connor McGovern that played for the Cowboys has not been quite as successful. McGovern was a capable pass blocker last year and played that role at an above-replacement level, but he has always been an enormous liability as a run blocker. Not only that, his success as a pass protector was largely limited to one season, allowing defenders to quickly win off the snap and forcing the quarterback to scramble or get rid of the ball quickly.

McGovern has only had one season as a full-time starter, playing as an injury replacement in other years. In that role, he’s spectacular, and teams could do a lot worse than having him as a depth player along the interior. But as a starter making starting money, it’s a big issue — especially for a team that wants to improve its running game.

McGovern’s contract incurs a $3.6 million cap hit in Year 1, which is in line with his value. But after that, it explodes to a functionally guaranteed second-year cap hit of $7.5 million and hits $8 million in Year 3 — an unguaranteed year but a difficult one to cut because he would incur $4 million in dead cap space.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/31/buffalo-bills-connor-mcgovern-worst-signings-nfl/

• Sad 1
  • Disagree 1

Just now, Doc said:

Where did OCT play in college?

Mainly right guard. He kicked out to OT for a little bit in a pinch, but is really a RG. They moved him to LG for a couple of bad plays in the Senior Bowl, and then moved him right back to RG where he dominated.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah, Brown is nasty like a revolving door 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.