The Allen-Diggs Relationship in Decline?

hondo in seattle

36 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I hope you are right.  I really do.  

But why did McD say they all needed some space?   You don't need "space" unless there's some friction.  It was great to see Diggs on the field with his teammates yesterday, but I still worry there might be some residual bad feelings.   Hopefully, Diggs puts those aside and performs.  

I think we may revisit this in 2024 depending on how this season works out.  

I do believe we are in the clear for this upcoming season, but only time will tell

59 minutes ago, Unsavory Peterman said:

What does Mike Schopp say about this?  (Is that guy still around)

He's still around.  He said someone needs to sit Diggs down and straighten him out, because he can't continue to be at odds with the organization.  Or words to that effect.  

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

But why did McD say they all needed some space?   You don't need "space" unless there's some friction.  It was great to see Diggs on the field with his teammates yesterday, but I still worry there might be some residual bad feelings.   Hopefully, Diggs puts those aside and performs.  

But what makes you think the friction is with Allen?  Nothing about this suggested Allen was the source of friction with Diggs.  Fans put a 100 spins on it trying to sew discontent between them because of a frustration moment in a disappointing loss months ago.  

Allen, Diggs agent, Von, etc have all suggested it wasn't that serious.  And there is stuff that sounded like it involved his new positional coach and/or communication.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, NUT said:

Allen doesn't seem as focused as Diggs at winning. That's not a Diggs problem.

Considering Diggs doesn't show up for anything that isn't mandatory, this is a tough sell. All these new receivers that he could help mentor and improve the team and he is a no show. 

Edited by Udubalum07
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I've worked with the same guys for 10+ years. Nobody ever leaves the company. We definitely have friction and need some space at times. Friction and needing space aren't some end of the world thing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

There's friction when there are tough conversations and people say things that are hard to hear.  Then maybe you have some hard to hear stuff you want to say in return.

You process them, you speak in your turn, you calm down, the people you're talking to process and calm down, you all move on.  That's what being a professional means.

The key point is to break off talks before you or someone else speaks what I call "bridge burning words".

Ever hear Allen talk about his contract negotiations, I think it was with Kyle Brandt or maybe Pat McAfee?  When asked how they went, he said (sarcastically) "Oh, Super Smooth.  Nobody sat in a room and got upset.  But it's done now and I'm looking forward to the season."  It was clear there was friction over some issue, but also clear it got worked out.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 4

21 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

But what makes you think the friction is with Allen?  Nothing about this suggested Allen was the source of friction with Diggs.  Fans put a 100 spins on it trying to sew discontent between them because of a frustration moment in a disappointing loss months ago.  

Allen, Diggs agent, Von, etc have all suggested it wasn't that serious.  And there is stuff that sounded like it involved his new positional coach and/or communication.

Obviously, I don't know who the friction is with.  And it might be with more than one person. 

The one thing we do know is that Diggs blew up on Allen on the sideline only a few months ago.  It's only speculation and rumor that Diggs is mad at anyone else.  

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Obviously, I don't know who the friction is with.  And it might be with more than one person. 

The one thing we do know is that Diggs blew up on Allen on the sideline only a few months ago.  It's only speculation and rumor that Diggs is mad at anyone else.  

I get that, just saying its also only speculation or rumor Diggs is even mad at Allen too.  Tensions rise in games all the time between players, teammates, coaches, etc, its not that unusual.  And we don't even know what Diggs was actually specifically frustrated with on those sidelines, even that is all speculation from people who "know a guy, who knows a guy".  

Everyone important played it down as not a serious problem, and I would think if it was a rift between Allen and Diggs that would somewhat serious.

But hey, none of us truly know, all this is our own opinions based on what we know.  So no one is "wrong" or "right" here, just different viewpoints.  And based on what I saw and read, it seemed like it had to do more with some sort communication issues and maybe the new positional coach.  

All that matters now though is that Allen has publicly shown love to Diggs and Diggs has done the same.  So even if there was something with Allen, it appears to be over, even though I personally don't think Diggs missing that first day was about some issue between him and Allen.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I get that, just saying its also only speculation or rumor Diggs is even mad at Allen too.  Tensions rise in games all the time between players, teammates, coaches, etc, its not that unusual.  And we don't even know what Diggs was actually specifically frustrated with on those sidelines, even that is all speculation from people who "know a guy, who knows a guy".  

Everyone important played it down as not a serious problem, and I would think if it was a rift between Allen and Diggs that would somewhat serious.

But hey, none of us truly know, all this is our own opinions based on what we know.  So no one is "wrong" or "right" here, just different viewpoints.  And based on what I saw and read, it seemed like it had to do more with some sort communication issues and maybe the new positional coach.  

All that matters now though is that Allen has publicly shown love to Diggs and Diggs has done the same.  So even if there was something with Allen, it appears to be over, even though I personally don't think Diggs missing that first day was about some issue between him and Allen.  

You're probably right: Diggs missing the first day was probably not a Josh issue.  And I hope you're right that the Diggs-Allen spat is over.  I don't have any inside information.  I don't know what's going on.  But it is something I'm interested enough in to watch closely with some degree of concern. 

I felt more comfortable when we kept hearing about the bromance between the two.  But even if the bromance is over - and maybe it's not - that doesn't mean that the two of them can't tear it up together on the field.  

• Like (+1) 1

No one knows what is going on but these two.  WRs are mercurial and passionate divas (stereotype) and QBs are competitive and focused (another stereotype) so the public takes sides.  IMO it is none of my business.  I have worked with people who rubbed me the wrong way but mission/job came first.  I am not worried because these men are striving for the same goal:  the Super Bowl and winning it. 

On 6/15/2023 at 7:52 PM, Beck Water said:

There's friction when there are tough conversations and people say things that are hard to hear.  Then maybe you have some hard to hear stuff you want to say in return.

You process them, you speak in your turn, you calm down, the people you're talking to process and calm down, you all move on.  That's what being a professional means.

The key point is to break off talks before you or someone else speaks what I call "bridge burning words".

Ever hear Allen talk about his contract negotiations, I think it was with Kyle Brandt or maybe Pat McAfee?  When asked how they went, he said (sarcastically) "Oh, Super Smooth.  Nobody sat in a room and got upset.  But it's done now and I'm looking forward to the season."  It was clear there was friction over some issue, but also clear it got worked out.

Honestly, my wife and I occasionally have friction about different issues and at times (I specifically) need space. It's a fact of human nature that you're not always going to see eye to eye with someone else, especially when there's change involved, and people just process things differently.

At this point it seems more like something to fill the airwaves than anything remotely substantial.  The people who are concerned about it are the same people who think the Bills are gonna fall to the bottom of the AFCE. 

On 6/15/2023 at 11:18 AM, Beck Water said:

Hi John!  Good to see you.  Any chance you'd be willing to Spill that Tea now about the issue to which you alluded last fall?

Nah, I'll speak up.  Wawrow is a good journalist in my book.  Good sources, puts information together to craft clear stories.  Has to be.  AP is a bastion of journalistic standards in an increasingly broad sea of slop

Graham has always written very good feature pieces.  I dislike his Twitter jousting with fans and his attitude of "thou must not criticize moi thou lowly peon" when he was here, and don't think either reflects well on him, but he still writes very good feature pieces.

What was the issue he mentioned?

On 6/15/2023 at 2:50 PM, Nextmanup said:

He's still around.  He said someone needs to sit Diggs down and straighten him out, because he can't continue to be at odds with the organization.  Or words to that effect.  

No he didn't. At least not that I heard. All he Said all week is the whole thing is a nothinburger considering its June and not September 

This might be BS, but Benjamin Albright is now reporting that the Bills are open to trading Diggs.  Another sign of trouble in Paradise?   Maybe.  Maybe not.  

“I talked to some people in Buffalo on the condition of anonymity and they said that, ‘Publicly, we’re not moving him. Privately, we would consider it under the right circumstances.’”

www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/breaking-buffalo-bills-are-privately-open-to-trading-star-wr-stefon-diggs/ar-AA1cTTsE?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=cd10fcc217344e618798895128ba54f7&ei=14

Edited by hondo in seattle

Meanwhile, Robert Griffin III says there's an unresolved issue between Diggs and Allen:

In a June 21 episode of the “Rich Eisen Show,” Griffin reported that “some people close” to Buffalo believe there is some unresolved tension between the team’s two top stars...  “I think it’s clear this is a personal thing between Josh (Allen) and Diggs,” Griffin said.

www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bills-qb-josh-allen-blamed-for-his-role-in-stefon-diggs-drama/ar-AA1cTD6p?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=d0770ac9f77c4fd19f36047b881de0d7&ei=21

27 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

This might be BS, but Benjamin Albright is now reporting that the Bills are open to trading Diggs.  Another sign of trouble in Paradise?   Maybe.  Maybe not.  

“I talked to some people in Buffalo on the condition of anonymity and they said that, ‘Publicly, we’re not moving him. Privately, we would consider it under the right circumstances.’”

www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/breaking-buffalo-bills-are-privately-open-to-trading-star-wr-stefon-diggs/ar-AA1cTTsE?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=cd10fcc217344e618798895128ba54f7&ei=14

His trade scenario for Denver is Sutton and a third. 

That would be absolutely insane. 

If we’re taking on an apocalyptic dead cap hit to trade one of the best WR’s in the NFL … telling me Denver is open to offering Sutton and a 3rd Round Pick is absurd. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

Meanwhile, Robert Griffin III says there's an unresolved issue between Diggs and Allen:

In a June 21 episode of the “Rich Eisen Show,” Griffin reported that “some people close” to Buffalo believe there is some unresolved tension between the team’s two top stars...  “I think it’s clear this is a personal thing between Josh (Allen) and Diggs,” Griffin said.

www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bills-qb-josh-allen-blamed-for-his-role-in-stefon-diggs-drama/ar-AA1cTD6p?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=d0770ac9f77c4fd19f36047b881de0d7&ei=21

If there had been....it didn't look like it at practice.... they were doing their usual handshakes, Diggs even posted a pic of them together on his IG

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

His trade scenario for Denver is Sutton and a third. 

That would be absolutely insane. 

If we’re taking on an apocalyptic dead cap hit to trade one of the best WR’s in the NFL … telling me Denver is open to offering Sutton and a 3rd Round Pick is absurd. 

Top 5 route runner in the league (possibly top 3 with Adams and Kupp), for a player who is basically gabe davis on his 2nd contract (sub 60% catch percentage, downfield threat, contested catch WR)... and a 3rd round pick in 2024 that helps 0 for 2023.   Thats a terrible trade.  

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/15/2023 at 1:50 PM, Unsavory Peterman said:

What does Mike Schopp say about this?  (Is that guy still around)

He's patiently waiting for Vegas to release odds on "when will Diggs and Allen argue on the sideline" before he can form an opinion.

• Haha (+1) 1

Relationships without mutual respect aren't really relationships, but rather interactions. Interactions are transactional. Interactions lack investing in the other person. Interactions are giving up something for something else in return, like buying a soda and a convenience store.

Interaction is a job. Relationship is a career. 

I've seen a lot of people mentioned in this thread. Think about how each of these people view their time in Buffalo?

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Pokebball said:

Relationships without mutual respect aren't really relationships, but rather interactions. Interactions are transactional. Interactions lack investing in the other person. Interactions are giving up something for something else in return, like buying a soda and a convenience store.

Interaction is a job. Relationship is a career. 

I've seen a lot of people mentioned in this thread. Think about how each of these people view their time in Buffalo?

So would it be a relationship or an interaction since I responded?

I invested my time to find out even though I don't know you but might care about what your perspective is regarding our status even though I don't think I've responded to one of your posts before.

• Thank you (+1) 1

These reporters have nothing to do this time of year...
 Stephan Diggs is unhappy with his situation and wants out??? Surely he isn't that dumb...where is he going to go where he is in a better situation? Chiefs dont have the Cap, Bengals and Philly don't need a receiver, You're angry about losing in the playoffs so the Cowboys aren't going to change that. San Diego? Jacksonville? can't say that's better. Our Oline should be improved, Kincaid and some other slot additions, better RBs. There's the Bengals game where he got heated sure, but he might have watched some tape and seen that Josh was getting gang rapped every snap. His best scenario is to take that passion and us it to lead, getting on teamates for slacking, dogging, make every rep count.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I should be gloating because the Allen-Diggs problem I suggested, and was criticized for, has only gotten bigger proving I was right to be concerned. 

But...

(1)  I'm a Bills fan and I don't want there to be a problem.

(2) A lot of stuff in the media sounds like nonsense.  Even as someone who suspects there might be a problem, I'm not buying some of the stories circulating right now.  Too much rumor and speculation.  And sometimes, I hate to say, I do think some media guys invent sources to mouth something newsworthy.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

40 million dead cap in 2024 if traded. If that's true, then Diggs will be a Buffalo Bill for at least two years.

The "writer" who dreamed up this scenario didn't do his homework about the cost to the Bills. He could've just as easy pulled a Cooper Kupp or Deebo Samuel scenario out of his butt as well and probably already has.

• Agree 3

22 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I should be gloating because the Allen-Diggs problem I suggested, and was criticized for, has only gotten bigger proving I was right to be concerned. 

But...

(1)  I'm a Bills fan and I don't want there to be a problem.

(2) A lot of stuff in the media sounds like nonsense.  Even as someone who suspects there might be a problem, I'm not buying some of the stories circulating right now.  Too much rumor and speculation.  And sometimes, I hate to say, I do think some media guys invent sources to mouth something newsworthy.  

No disrespect but there is literally zero evidence of any kind that there is a “Allen-Diggs” problem, and in fact a ton of evidence suggesting there isn’t.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

11 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No disrespect but there is literally zero evidence of any kind that there is a “Allen-Diggs” problem, and in fact a ton of evidence suggesting there isn’t.  

Cmon bro, haven’t you read the “reports”?  The reports say that Josh and Britt broke up because Josh tried to kiss Stefon and grab his ****.   The reports then say that Diggs didn’t like that and told Britt.  Stef and Britt are now privately engaged, according to the same reports. 

• Haha (+1) 1

shots fired 😂😂

“I’ve loved what I’ve seen from Trent (Sherfield) so far; the dude works extremely hard. He’s one of the hardest-working guys on the team. Doesn’t complain about anything . He’s rolling right now,” Allen said, via Alaina Getzenberg of ESPN.

On 6/22/2023 at 2:13 PM, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Top 5 route runner in the league (possibly top 3 with Adams and Kupp), for a player who is basically gabe davis on his 2nd contract (sub 60% catch percentage, downfield threat, contested catch WR)... and a 3rd round pick in 2024 that helps 0 for 2023.   Thats a terrible trade.  

100% agree.  That would indeed, be a terrible trade.

I know Ben Albright has good connections and knows some Ball but that's actually bad on the level of some of the crazy trade posts we get here, along the lines of "Oliver sucks, let's trade him and a 5th round pick to the Vikings for Justin Jefferson" or the like. (Proposing we trade a player who is disappointing to us, to another team for one of their best players and peanuts in picks.

On 6/22/2023 at 11:48 PM, Pirate Angel said:

These reporters have nothing to do this time of year...
 Stephan Diggs is unhappy with his situation and wants out??? Surely he isn't that dumb...where is he going to go where he is in a better situation? Chiefs dont have the Cap, Bengals and Philly don't need a receiver, You're angry about losing in the playoffs so the Cowboys aren't going to change that. San Diego? Jacksonville? can't say that's better. Our Oline should be improved, Kincaid and some other slot additions, better RBs. There's the Bengals game where he got heated sure, but he might have watched some tape and seen that Josh was getting gang rapped every snap. His best scenario is to take that passion and us it to lead, getting on teamates for slacking, dogging, make every rep count.

If Diggs wants to be helpful,  try riding the players who are underperforming.  Josh is not the problem and no one wants to win it all more than him.  I think the Cincy loss simply exploded bent up emotions from Stefon after dealing with 3 straight years of brutal playoff exits.  This has nothing to do with girlfriends, salary or not enough touches.  If it is about playing somewhere else, Diggs better convince Jerry Jones to give us a ton in a trade.  Beane's not getting fleeced.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

27 minutes ago, arcane said:

Why am I seeing that allen quote all over today? I'm pretty sure he said that like 3 weeks ago? Unless he gave an interview I missed today, despite being nowhere near facilities, and saying the same thing almost exactly word for word

It's from 3 weeks ago, during voluntary OTAs.  You're just seeing it all over today because some pundit used it to suggest Allen was throwing shade at Diggs.

I think it's pretty clear from the original context that it wasn't a "dig" at Diggs, Allen was asked to comment on the new receivers and he gave props to Sherfield.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

It's from 3 weeks ago, during voluntary OTAs.  You're just seeing it all over today because some pundit used it to suggest Allen was throwing shade at Diggs.

I think it's pretty clear from the original context that it wasn't a "dig" at Diggs, Allen was asked to comment on the new receivers and he gave props to Sherfield.

Right, I remember that whole interview having the theme of "I wish Diggs was here but I'm glad i'm getting this time with guys who wouldn't get it if he was here"

So stupid. I never thought highly of nfl pundits but my view of them has tanked this summer

15 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Yeah I'd assume majority of us know it's nonsense and clearly Josh would never do such a thing. There's always someone though lol

59 minutes ago, arcane said:

Right, I remember that whole interview having the theme of "I wish Diggs was here but I'm glad i'm getting this time with guys who wouldn't get it if he was here"

So stupid. I never thought highly of nfl pundits but my view of them has tanked this summer

Have you ever heard of a QB complementing a WR by saying that “he doesn’t complain”, though?  I think he was sending a message to Diggs, and I respect him for it.  As great as Diggs is, he’s Pippen.  Seems like they’ve patched it up, and I don’t think Josh would make that comment today.  It actually makes more sense that he said it three weeks ago.

• Like (+1) 1