The Allen-Diggs Relationship in Decline?

hondo in seattle

20 minutes ago, MJS said:

They are voluntary and he chose not to go.

Not a good look given his history in Minnesota and his behavior during and after the Bengals game.  Kinda hard to reconcile the whole “he only acts that way because he’s the fiercest competitor on the planet” narrative with not showing up to workout with his teammates.  Hand waive it away if you want, but he chose not to attend the workouts with his teammates while the guys standing in his way for a ring showed up.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

We all know that Allen and Diggs are/were best friends.  We also all know what happened with Diggs at the end of the last season.

Recently, Allen was asked if his relationship with Diggs was still solid.  He responded, "Absolutely...  Stef's gonng be Stef.  I love the guy. He is one of my favorite people on this planet. He is so fiery, so competitive. He wants the ball in his hands 24/7, and I’m never going to not like a guy like that. He wants what’s best for the team.”

To me, that sounds a lot like coach-speak.  Allen keeps it positive, as he should.  But he never actually says that he and Diggs are still talking, hanging out, playing games together, acting like brothers from different mothers...  And his comment, "I'm never going to dislike a guy like that" came off as a little odd to me.  Who said anything about disliking?  Do you have reasons to dislike Stef that you're overcoming?  

I'm not going to churches, temples, synagogues, and mosques, bawling my eyes out, earnestly praying for divine intervention for them to patch things up.  But I do have some concerns about their relationship this year.  I hope those concerns are wrong.  

I mean, I don't know that they were talking, hanging out, playing games together, acting like 'brothers from different mothers' all offseason the last couple years.  Do you?  One of them spends most of the offseason living and training in Florida.  The other spends most of the off season living and training in Cali.  I'm sure they text from time to time and maybe play the occasional game.

I think they texted and talked and played the occasional game, and I think they quietly got together to throw and catch, but I think the "bromance" thing had its elements of being a media creation.

The part about "Stef's gonna Stef" sounded genuine to me, as did the immediate answer "Absolutely" when asked about his relationship.  It sounded to me as though the two of them had talked things out and come to a mutual understanding.

By the way, the phrase was "I'm never going to not like" not "I'm never going to dislike".  You quoted it then changed it slightly.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Billl said:

Not a good look given his history in Minnesota and his behavior during and after the Bengals game.  Kinda hard to reconcile the whole “he only acts that way because he’s the fiercest competitor on the planet” narrative with not showing up to workout with his teammates.  Hand waive it away if you want, but he chose not to attend the workouts with his teammates while the guys standing in his way for a ring showed up.

Did you feel this way last year when he didn't show up for the first few days of voluntary activities?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Diggs was a first/second round talent that got drafted in the 5th because of his attitude. 
Diggs developed into a number one receiver that Minnesota was glad to trade away because of his attitude. 
Diggs is quickly wearing out his welcome in Buffalo because of his attitude. 
I actually think Gabe Davis is more likely to be on the team in 2024 than Diggs. I hope the bills draft Jack Campbell but if they go receiver in the first I totally understand. They have to keep Diggs on the team this year but can save over 20 million by cutting him. Unfortunately I think this is going in the wrong direction. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

We all know that Allen and Diggs are/were best friends.  We also all know what happened with Diggs at the end of the last season.

Recently, Allen was asked if his relationship with Diggs was still solid.  He responded, "Absolutely...  Stef's gonng be Stef.  I love the guy. He is one of my favorite people on this planet. He is so fiery, so competitive. He wants the ball in his hands 24/7, and I’m never going to not like a guy like that. He wants what’s best for the team.”

To me, that sounds a lot like coach-speak.  Allen keeps it positive, as he should.  But he never actually says that he and Diggs are still talking, hanging out, playing games together, acting like brothers from different mothers...  And his comment, "I'm never going to dislike a guy like that" came off as a little odd to me.  Who said anything about disliking?  Do you have reasons to dislike Stef that you're overcoming?  

I'm not going to churches, temples, synagogues, and mosques, bawling my eyes out, earnestly praying for divine intervention for them to patch things up.  But I do have some concerns about their relationship this year.  I hope those concerns are wrong.  

Nah, no need to worry.  They are grown a&* men....  They are also multimillionaires and are also both at the top of their games.  

Diggs does see his window for a superbowl closing though, so there's that frustration with the playoffs for sure.

That final game was a big choke..... and that's all the frustration is about.  

FIX

THE 

O

LINE!

4 minutes ago, Billl said:

IIRC, Stef was a no-show at April OTAs last season. 

And 2021

The first OTAs are pretty restrictive.

Two weeks | Limited to strength and conditioning activities ("dead ball"); only strength and conditioning coaches allowed on field*

90 minute max on the field

Clubs can only specify 2 hours for players to be at the facility

Players choose the other 2 hours for weights, etc.
Contact work is prohibited in all workouts (e.g. "live" blocking, tackling, pass rushing, bump-and-run, etc.)

* Dead Ball Explanation:
-QBs can throw to receivers with no coverage
-Kickers and Punters can kick, but players cannot field the ball and no snappers or holders can be involved
-Long Snappers can snap into a net
-Defensive players may not catch balls at all regardless of who is throwing them.

Diggs works out pretty intensively on his own, and I have the impression he just doesn't find a lot of value to Phase I of OTAs.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, MJS said:

Did you feel this way last year when he didn't show up for the first few days of voluntary activities?

He didn’t end that season yelling at his QB on the field over the quality of his passes, on the sideline about not throwing him the ball enough, or leave the stadium immediately following the game.  He’s a top 15 WR.  He’s also a me-first player.  Both of these things can be true.  You don’t see Mahomes and Kelce skipping voluntary workouts.

If you’re a leader and not just a loud mouth, then you show up even though you don’t want to and don’t have to.  His teammates know who was there and who wasn’t, and they’ll remember who was out there sweating in April and who wasn’t the next time he throws a tantrum on the sideline.

• Dislike 2

6 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Diggs was a first/second round talent that got drafted in the 5th because of his attitude. 
Diggs developed into a number one receiver that Minnesota was glad to trade away because of his attitude. 
I actually think Gabe Davis is more likely to be on the team in 2024 than Diggs. I hope the bills draft Jack Campbell but if they go receiver in the first I totally understand. They have to keep Diggs on the team this year but can save over 20 million by cutting him. Unfortunately I think this is going in the wrong direction. 

I Call Shenanigans. 

Diggs was a former 5-star HS recruit that dropped in the draft for a number of reasons:

1) went to Maryland rather than a top CFB program like Florida, USC, Cal, Auburn etc. 

2) suffered season-ending injuries 2 years in a row in college (broken fibula, lacerated kidney)

3) questions about his ability to release, since he'd played mostly from the slot or outside in space

4) questions about his ability to hold up against physical corners

5) questions about how he would fare against top corners, since he was playing at a lower level of competition

If you have something indicating that Diggs dropped in the draft "because of his attitude", here is your chance: Stand And Deliver

1 minute ago, Billl said:

He didn’t end that season yelling at his QB on the field over the quality of his passes, on the sideline about not throwing him the ball enough, or leave the stadium immediately following the game.  He’s a top 15 WR.  He’s also a me-first player.  Both of these things can be true.  You don’t see Mahomes and Kelce skipping voluntary workouts.

If you’re a leader and not just a loud mouth, then you show up even though you don’t want to and don’t have to.  His teammates know who was there and who wasn’t, and they’ll remember who was out there sweating in April and who wasn’t the next time he throws a tantrum on the sideline.

We Shall See.

Diggs hasn't been there for 3 years now (and the 4th, OTAs were canceled) and his teammates don't seem to have regarded that as a bar to electing him a captain last season.

I do think he may be a me-first player.  If so, that's something the WR coach, OC, and Allen are going to have to better manage this season.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Dropped in the draft because of his attitude? You made that up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Diggs hasn't been there for 3 years now (and the 4th, OTAs were canceled) and his teammates don't seem to have regarded that as a bar to electing him a captain last season

Right, but he also didn’t throw a tantrum the years prior.  Look, I don’t think it’s a huge deal at all that he didn’t go.  I do think that it’s BS to claim that he only did it because he’s the fiercest competitor in the league who is singularly focused on winning when he’s one of only a handful of players to skip the opportunity to work out with his teammates for the first time since the Bengals game.

11 minutes ago, Billl said:

So did you feel it wasn't a good look any of the previous years when he also didn't go to the 1st "voluntary" activities then too?

Or is it now all of a sudden you think it's a bad look only because he was frustrated how players didn't even show up and at the end of the embarrassing game he showed too much emotion for you're liking....so now all of a sudden you feel it's not a good look for him

Am I spot on here, or close enough?

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I do think he may be a me-first player.  If so, that's something the WR coach, OC, and Allen are going to have to better manage this season.

I dont know if Allen has it in him to manage Diggs - either through off-field words or on-field chatter. For all the good that Allen does on the field, I rarely see him consoling an O player for messing up on a play, egging on the OL for poor protection or having words with divas like Diggs to calm him down. I would have liked to see some more interactivity of Allen with his supporting cast because he has earned the right to give them a talking-to. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Patrick Duffy said:

So did you feel it wasn't a good look any of the previous years when he also didn't go to the 1st "voluntary" activities then too?

Or is it now all of a sudden you think it's a bad look only because he was frustrated how players didn't even show up and at the end of the embarrassing game he showed too much emotion for you're liking....so now all of a sudden you feel it's not a good look for him

Am I spot on here, or close enough?

You’re spot on.  If you’re not going to show up with your teammates, then shut your mouth.  Diggs got 10 targets for 35 yards against the Bengals, and he blamed everyone but himself for the loss.  He was the first to leave after the game, and he’s been the last one to show up each year.  That’s fine as long as he produces and doesn’t show up his coaches and teammates.  He didn’t produce when it mattered most, and he publicly berated his QB and OC before storming out of the stadium.

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Billl said:

Then why wasn’t he at the workouts?  Allen was there.

The troll is back ladies and gents.  An all pro under contract for many seasons isn’t at  pre draft voluntary workouts.  Happens all the time. 

Pat Mahomes was there.  Why wasn’t Chris Jones?  Must be he’s pissed

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

The troll is back ladies and gents.  An all pro under contract for many seasons isn’t at  pre draft voluntary workouts.  Happens all the time. 

Pat Mahomes was there.  Why wasn’t Chris Jones?  Must be he’s pissed

I don’t have any inside information, but I don’t think the Chiefs plan to move Chris Jones to QB, WR, or TE, so that would by my guess as to why he didn’t show up to the workout for QBs, WRs, and TEs.

31 minutes ago, MJS said:

Dropped in the draft because of his attitude? You made that up.

Not only made up, but absolute character slander.

Diggs was a 5th round pick because he played for crappy Maryland. He went to Maryland, instead of taking the scholarship offers at schools such as Ohio State, Florida, USC, etc, because his father had just passed when he was 15, and he wanted to stay home and be there for his mom and brother since he had stepped into the "man of the house" role at such a young age.

Had he ditched them and gone to a big school, he would have been playing with better talent and coaching, and been on the national stage on a weekly basis, and likely gone in the 1st round. But who knows what would have happened to Trevon being left alone at 13. Or when his mom needed someone to help out.

Instead he stuck with his ethics and his responsibility to the people he loves.

And now today, these absolute #######s dare to insult him while at the same time showing they know nothing about him.

Disgusting.

Bills "fans", do better.

This fan base has gone straight to the shitter. Who knew the Mafia was so weak and fragile. Everyone needs to suck it up and move on from last year already. You're all making this not fun anymore.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Billl said:

I don’t have any inside information, but I don’t think the Chiefs plan to move Chris Jones to QB, WR, or TE, so that would by my guess as to why he didn’t show up to the workout for QBs, WRs, and TEs.

A quick google search found me a link from 205 weeks ago-  apologies.  

doesn’t change the fact of why you’re here. In this thread.  Throwing gasoline, because that’s your MO. 

you used to say you were a bills fan.  Now you just troll everyone that says positive things about the Bills. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

A quick google search found me a link from 205 weeks ago-  apologies.  

doesn’t change the fact of why you’re here. In this thread.  Throwing gasoline, because that’s your MO. 

you used to say you were a bills fan.  Now you just troll everyone that says positive things about the Bills. 

I’ve never once claimed to be a Bills fan.  I’m a Chiefs fan.  Have you seen my profile pic?  I’ve always had a soft spot for the Bills on account of sharing a name with them.

Edited by Billl

31 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

There may be more wrong statements in your post, but figured to just address the very first sentence...

His availability was a big reason for falling because he had a good amount of injuries. Also Maryland had a poor passing game which limited him.

https://247sports.com/college/maryland/Article/How-Did-Stefon-Diggs-Fall-to-Fifth-Round-of-NFL-Draft-47607699/

The guy gets frustrated and rightfully so from a playoff game that some players seemed to say ***** it. So for him being frustrated from a crap game and when the embarrassment was finally over and the game ended his emotions likely were the same as what we all as Bills fan had. 

But because it's Diggs some say now he's an attitude problem. smh

Diggs has had an attitude problem where ever he’s been. Everyone knows it. Pretend it doesn’t exist if you want. What he did to JA17 in the Cincinnati game there’s no excuse for. Say what you want there was no reason to embarrass JA17 full stop 🛑

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Billl said:

You’re spot on.  If you’re not going to show up with your teammates, then shut your mouth.  Diggs got 10 targets for 35 yards against the Bengals, and he blamed everyone but himself for the loss.  He was the first to leave after the game, and he’s been the last one to show up each year.  That’s fine as long as he produces and doesn’t show up his coaches and teammates.  He didn’t produce when it mattered most, and he publicly berated his QB and OC before storming out of the stadium.

Shut his mouth about what? I don't know what you think he needs to shut his mouth about? I'm not aware of much of any statements etc from him for him to shut his mouth about? 

Statement doesn't make sense to me here....

Also not sure how you came to the conclusion he blamed everyone but himself for loss?  

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Social media has become the bane of human existence. 

Much ado about nothing.

This...its utterly amazing how much nonsense is spread on Social Media or twisted into something more than it is.  

There is nothing to see here.  Last year Diggs said Josh Allen saved him and his career and that he loves him for that and that hasn't changed because the whole team had a tough outing against Cincy.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think people read into crap that isnt there.  Then they talk about.  It spreads around.  Eventually it becomes fact while it was BS the whole time.

There wont be a problem.  Diggs is a Buffalo Bill.   Allen is his QB.  They will play together and be fine.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Billl said:

Right, but he also didn’t throw a tantrum the years prior.  Look, I don’t think it’s a huge deal at all that he didn’t go.  I do think that it’s BS to claim that he only did it because he’s the fiercest competitor in the league who is singularly focused on winning when he’s one of only a handful of players to skip the opportunity to work out with his teammates for the first time since the Bengals game.

Where is anyone claiming that?

The only point I see people making is there's Nothing to See Here as far as inferring he's skipping Phase I OTAs because of the end of last season or because his relationship with Josh and the team is trashed. 

The evidence for the Nothing to See Here point, is that he hasn't participated in Phase I of OTAs for previous seasons in which he did not end the season with a tantrum. 

Therefore it seems a reasonable inference that whatever his reasons are for missing OTAs, they may be similar to his reasons in previous seasons.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Where is anyone claiming that?

The only point I see people making is there's Nothing to See Here as far as inferring he's skipping Phase I OTAs because of the end of last season or because his relationship with Josh and the team is trashed. 

The evidence for the Nothing to See Here point, is that he hasn't participated in Phase I of OTAs for previous seasons in which he did not end the season with a tantrum. 

Therefore it seems a reasonable inference that whatever his reasons are for missing OTAs, they may be similar to his reasons in previous seasons.

People are claiming it up and down this thread.  

4 hours ago, akcash said:

Diggs even makes me feel guilty for not winning a superbowl. I'm glad that MF is on our team.

4 hours ago, NUT said:

Diggs is the only player I can stomach these days. I'm pissed off just as he is.

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I cannot fault a player for wanting to win

This is not a thing

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

What part don't y'all get?? Diggs wants to win, period!! He doesn't care about the amount of passes he receives as long as they win. I'm wondering if Stef is more pissed with the organization not putting enough around them to win a SB.

• Eyeroll 1

43 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I believe you're reading into this way too much. If you watched the press conference you see Josh flash a big smile when they ask about Diggs. 

Look, I agree I may be reading too much into it.  

But I find the people attacking me hilarious.  I believe I bring up a legit point.  There were lots of bromance stories last offseason.  But the season ended with tension between the two and now - IMHO - Josh seemed to answer a question in a very politically correct way without any allusions to an ongoing bromance.  Considering Diggs's blowup last year, and the diva stories from his time with the Vikings, it's reasonable to have a concern. 

I'm not condemning anyone.  Not Diggs; not Josh.  But as a Bills fan, I don't assume the world is sunshine and roses.   I've been disabused of that years ago.  There seem to be ugly surprises every season with my favorite team and I hope the Diggs-Allen story doesn't become one of them.  We are after all talking about millionaire twenty-somethings who aren't always maxed out with EQ.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Shut his mouth about what? I don't know what you think he needs to shut his mouth about? I'm not aware of much of any statements etc from him for him to shut his mouth about? 

Statement doesn't make sense to me here....

Also not sure how you came to the conclusion he blamed everyone but himself for loss?  

Seriously?  He was barking at Josh several times during the Bengals game about ball placement.  Then he threw a tantrum on the sidelines before storming out of the stadium instead of joining his team in the locker room.  The guy’s a hell of a player who just happens to be a jackass.  He’s not the first WR to be this way, and he won’t be the last.  It’s odd that so many people here want to pretend that he’s not a malcontent when he so clearly is.  

1 hour ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I dont know if Allen has it in him to manage Diggs - either threw off-field words or on-field chatter. For all the good that Allen does on the field, I rarely see him consoling an O player for messing up on a play, egging on the OL for poor protection or having words with divas like Diggs to calm him down. I would have liked to see some more interactivity of Allen with his supporting cast because he has earned the right to give them a talking-to. 

I enjoy the world of psych profiles. DISC and MBTI are the two I know the best. I do believe they can be fairly accurate on some things. How comfortable people are with confrontation, how comfortable they’re with being assertive among them. I think it’s easy to assume because Josh plays the way he does that he has this quality to him. I don’t think he does at all. I actually think he is rather non confrontational. While Diggs on the other hand is very dominant with his personality. Doesn’t mean Josh can’t be a leader, but I don’t ever see him being like Peyton or Brady where you mess up and he destroys you. He’s playful, goofy even. Not his disposition to be that way. 

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I think people read into crap that isnt there.  Then they talk about.  It spreads around.  Eventually it becomes fact while it was BS the whole time.

There wont be a problem.  Diggs is a Buffalo Bill.   Allen is his QB.  They will play together and be fine.

I think it started back when Vikings traded him and then it was said his attitude was an issue. Then after couple years of being in Buffalo so many here were posting (and I vividly remember this) about Vikings and the attitude issues that got said was B.S. During all that time the attitude talk changed to him being a great leader. 

Last season was last season. This year Diggs will catch some passes and some TDs and everything will be fine. I suspect if we end the season in similarly disappointing fashion Diggs will throw another tantrum. I'll worry about it then. It isn't going to affect the whole season. These are grown men living out their dream. They'll be fine.

Edited by HappyDays

8 minutes ago, Billl said:

Seriously?  He was barking at Josh several times during the Bengals game about ball placement.  Then he threw a tantrum on the sidelines before storming out of the stadium instead of joining his team in the locker room.  The guy’s a hell of a player who just happens to be a jackass.  He’s not the first WR to be this way, and he won’t be the last.  It’s odd that so many people here want to pretend that he’s not a malcontent when he so clearly is.  

What's that got to do with him not attending 1st day of voluntary activity? You said if he's not going to show up then he needs to keep his mouth shut, implying that recently he's done or said something 

Yeah the heat of the moment can get you sometimes.....

5 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Why is it odd? He’s directly replying to people like you that keep trying to create a story about a declining relationship because of a sideline tiff in a major letdown game for the team. 

It was a sideline argument. That’s all - stop making more out of it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1