Future sale of Bills ??????????? (speculation from attention seeking media)

DallasBillsFan1

3 hours ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

I listen to Sirius XM NFL.  On Moving The Chains today with Pat Kirwin and Jim Miller they discussed the sale of the Commanders.  Then the topic turned to potenital sale of other teams and Pat Kirwin mentioned Seattle and BUFFALO.   WHAT?  Kirwin said he heard of that possibility.  Maybe it's a wild rumor but this is the first I've heard anything like this.  It's only been 7 years since the Pegula's purchased the Bills.  The only thing that I could think that would prompt Mr. Pegula to sell the team of was the health of Kim Pegula ... but I am speculating.  Has anyone else heard of this?  Assuming there is any truth to this, what assurances does the county have that the new owner would keep the Bills in WNY (for new stadium)?

If Kirwin said that he's an idiot.  Down here in Cincinnati it's more likley the Bengals will sell if the county doesn't agree to a major upgrade of the existing stadium.  The Bengals lease expires in 2026 and this is a real concern down here as the lease is incredibly favorable to the Brown family and the mood in Hamilton County is that the new lease has to be more evenhanded.

[This is an automated response]

The topic title is potentially misleading. Accurate titles help the community find topics relevant to their interests and avoids reader frustration. Please change the topic title to more accurately reflect content of the original post.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

• Like (+1) 1

• Simon changed the title to [Misleading Title]
2 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Well Kim probably was in the succession plans considering she is almost 20 years younger than Terry, that plan is probably out the window.

So it's possible we should be moderately concerned about longevity of the franchise 

Good point about Kim being the person expected to be the succession plan. It might now depend on the interest level of the daughters. If they don’t want to take over the family businesses, then cashing out right after the new stadium is built would be a smart move. That is a huge additional asset that will raise the value of the team immensely. I’m not saying that it is going to happen, but after what has happened with the family it would not be a surprise. 

4 hours ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

I listen to Sirius XM NFL.  On Moving The Chains today with Pat Kirwin and Jim Miller they discussed the sale of the Commanders.  Then the topic turned to potenital sale of other teams and Pat Kirwin mentioned Seattle and BUFFALO.   WHAT?  Kirwin said he heard of that possibility.  Maybe it's a wild rumor but this is the first I've heard anything like this.  It's only been 7 years since the Pegula's purchased the Bills.  The only thing that I could think that would prompt Mr. Pegula to sell the team of was the health of Kim Pegula ... but I am speculating.  Has anyone else heard of this?  Assuming there is any truth to this, what assurances does the county have that the new owner would keep the Bills in WNY (for new stadium)?

I wouldn't discard the "sell"side of our thought (rumor from some), since Pegulas family dynamics are a big factor, but I would not even entertain the part of "move" in the rumor, tough...

Edited by BuffaL0L0k0

24 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Here’s hoping you’re right. Personally, think Mr. Pegula is heartbroken. He’s 71, Kim was so young and vital.

Billions for the kids without the headache of NFL aggravation would be my gift to them. Bet Mom agrees.

That is what  meant with family dynamics, during illness and pain, thanks for putting the right words to my hump ☺️

2 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Maybe you want to go five years?

I second the motion (his motion...) 

5 hours ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

Kirwan is pretty plugged in but there is no way they are even entertaining a sale in the middle of building a new stadium. Like no chance. Maybe he’s alluding to 10-12 years down the road? 

1 hour ago, I am the egg man said:

Here’s hoping you’re right. Personally, think Mr. Pegula is heartbroken. He’s 71, Kim was so young and vital.

Billions for the kids without the headache of NFL aggravation would be my gift to them. Bet Mom agrees.

Being an NFL owner is so aggravating and such a headache…I bet the Commanders don’t get a single bid.  Who wants to deal with being an NFL owner when its so terrible?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Being an NFL owner is so aggravating and such a headache…I bet the Commanders don’t get a single bid.  Who wants to deal with being an NFL owner when its so terrible?

It's amazing how little it takes to get some to go full on chicken little

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

There is almost no guarantee that the Bills stay here if they were sold. New owners aren’t some measly billionaires like Pegula and his $7-10B. New owners coming forward from this point on will be paying the price for teams that Pegula is worth total. The Jeff Bezos’ of the world. Like how Davis offered Snyder $1B more than the Harris group and topped it off with all cash and guarantees that Snyder would benefit from. 

With all this said, a new owner worth 10s of billions would likely laugh at a $850 buyout that’s in the contract for the Bills to stay in Buffalo. Just add that amount to the sale of the team which would be north of 5-7B would be my guess. 

Selling NFL teams is like the newest QB that gets a new deal. The last one will always be the largest contract signed. Only way a team would sell for over $7B is it was an incredibly small market team, or had some debts to payoff in order to move them. But you could easily see a Bezos type coming in and buying the team with the intent to move them to anywhere that makes more sense. I’m sure the NFL would be begging someone buys a team and moved them to London, or Germany, or Mexico City. Etc. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I am of the opinion that the only reason of this "speculation" is Kim's health.

It wouldn’t shock me.

Ive always been under the impression that Kim would be the full-time owner for the next 30+ years as Terry is in his 70’s.

If Kim does not come back, that leaves the running of the tram to his children. Only 1 of which i’ve ever seen involved with the Bills in any meaningful way.

6 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

these guys don't know Terry Pegula

the way Bills fans do. 

How do we know him? How many times have you met him? I have only once. I don’t know him at all. Reporters likely know him more than fans do. We only see his public persona.

• Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, mrags said:

With all this said, a new owner worth 10s of billions would likely laugh at a $850 buyout that’s in the contract for the Bills to stay in Buffalo.

I’ve mentioned this before, but people are so stuck on defending anything the Bills do that they refuse to see the problem.

We are spending nearly $1B in taxpayer money for a stadium, PLUS another $100M per year for renovations, PLUS we get downgraded to the smallest stadium (seating capacity) in the NFL, and there is no protection that i’ve seen, stopping a wealthy owner from doing a buyout and moving them.

Its such a bad deal.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

I’ve mentioned this before, but people are so stuck on defending anything the Bills do that they refuse to see the problem.

We are spending nearly $1B in taxpayer money for a stadium, PLUS another $100M per year for renovations, PLUS we get downgraded to the smallest stadium (seating capacity) in the NFL, and there is no protection that i’ve seen, stopping a wealthy owner from doing a buyout and moving them.

Its such a bad deal.

I don’t think we will move. But I do think the $850 is a drop in the bucket to any future  potential NFL team want to be owners. They would work the losses they have into any new stadium deal in any new city that was willing to spend significantly more to get an nfl team. 

again, I don’t think they are going anywhere. Ok just saying I think the deterrent isn’t nearly enough. 

• Like (+1) 2

I wouldn’t put much into it, yet.

From what we can glean,  it does not seem Kim will be able to run the franchise post Terry.  I hope I am wrong and that she recovers.  If not, it depends how they structure ownership. If Terry were to pass, does it stay with Kim? If she is removed from ownership for health reason and he passes it goes to the estate and that is a huge problem with taxes.

When they purchased the franchise, it was the perfect time. NFL franchises were selling for a lot, but not outside the reach of a guy like Terry.  Now, franchises are selling for much more and that will definitely factor in to the Bills if Pegulas can’t keep based on health reasons for Terry and Kim.  Not sure how they could structure a succession to the children without the huge tax burden.  Hope I’m wrong, but seems to be what has been the problem for other NFL owners famalies.

As far as the stadium lease? Most likely isn’t iron clad enough that some Uber rich new owner couldn’t fork over whatever fee to break the lease is.  Paying billions for the franchise is certainly not going to stop them from paying millions to break the lease if they wish.  Again, hope I’m wrong.

7 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Sadly, my feeling is Terry bails. The Bills are back on the market.

The kids are set and may from on high Kim gets well.

It’s not going to be well received on this board, but I can’t help feeling the same way as you. 

12 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

You know, if Mrs. Pegula isn’t doing well and things continue on that path, there is going to be a lot of pain in the building for Mr. Pegula to endure. I could see good reason for him selling. He expected her to bury him, not the other way around. Devastating for their family. 

I could see him selling as well.   His heart may just not be in it anymore without Kim in the building with him.  He may see the team and her over the top work ethic as a cause of her health issues.    I could see it for sure.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

The only thing that I could think that would prompt Mr. Pegula to sell the team of was the health of Kim Pegula .

This is something I thought of when she had her issue last summer.   Terry is older, I think it is hard to pass it down due to taxes.....they could be sold sooner than people are thinking about.

I immediately thought of Kim while reading but I would think that might be more of a reason why Terry would want to keep the Bills/Sabres

With the brand new stadium being built there's just no way I see this happening.  Even if Terry did sell at some point. 

I would think that one of his daughters would want the team especially Jessica who is in athletics and is already 29 years old (on the older side of tennis). She'll probably be retired from tennis in the next 5 years and then can transition into learning the business side of things under Terry and/or his executives. 

To me that makes the most sense as she is a sports driven person to begin with. 

• Agree 2

16 hours ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

got to open your ears man. I listened to the same thing. They were giving examples of more recent sales pertaining to the Commanders compared to teams net worth, Seahawks 200m in 97 compared to Bills for 1 bil and how much 6 bil and they were talking about why it was so much... did you listen to the whole thing the whole time or just bits and pieces and take unfounded assumptions to these forums? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

got to open your ears man. I listened to the same thing. They were giving examples of more recent sales pertaining to the Commanders compared to teams net worth, Seahawks 200m in 97 compared to Bills for 1 bil and how much 6 bil and they were talking about why it was so much... did you listen to the whole thing the whole time or just bits and pieces and take unfounded assumptions to these forums? 

If that's the case, entirely irresponsible and then the gossip and innuendo afterwards; pathetic.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Jesus. So the OP just sparked this off by completely butchering Kirwan’s point? 

Should have known. Seriously a troll purge would be nice around here.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Augie said:

I think you are going to need at least a .00000000001% down payment, and a solid credit score. Maybe @HOUSE can help you?

Cool. That's like a 10 cent down payment if the Bills sell for 10 billion. How do I get in on this action?

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

If that's the case, entirely irresponsible and then the gossip and innuendo afterwards; pathetic.

2 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Jesus. So the OP just sparked this off by completely butchering Kirwan’s point? 

Should have known. Seriously a troll purge would be nice around here.

Guys I just want to add, a talk show like this? you miss 2 minutes? you mine as well turn it off till its over because they also do a lot of what if this or that were the case and not be true but "what if" You can not miss their shows for a minute... cause unlike WGR.. they do not switch topics every 15 minutes. I doubt op is trolling... I just think he missed the bigging or went afk through part of it.

Just making that clear. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Guys I just want to add, a talk show like this? you miss 2 minutes? you mine as well turn it off till its over because they also do a lot of what if this or that were the case and not be true but "what if" You can not miss their shows for a minute... cause unlike WGR.. they do not switch topics every 15 minutes. I doubt op is trolling... I just think he missed the bigging or went afk through part of it.

Just making that clear. 

Thanks - and just for clarification though - did Kirwan ever suggest during one of their what if scenarios that the Bills were a likely sell in the near future?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.