Seahawks rescind RFA 1st-refusal tender of $2.63M on S Ryan Neal - any interest?

Beck Water

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/36019987/seahawks-rescind-offer-restricted-free-agent-s-ryan-neal

6'2" or 6'3", ran a 4.47 40. 

Signed with Eagles then Falcons as UDFA, spent a year primarily as a PS member with the Seahawks

Started 10 games for the Seahawks last season

Other than the fact that this guy's contracts have been for the Birds, would he be worth a look as a player we could develop?

He's 27

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 3

9 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

How many safeties do you  need? Bills have Poyer, Hyde Rapp, Hamlin ,Anderson, Mayden.  Talk of Lewis and Lewis maybe playing some safety.

If you can get this guy under 2 mil, it's a steal

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

How many safeties do you  need? Bills have Poyer, Hyde Rapp, Hamlin ,Anderson, Mayden.  Talk of Lewis and Lewis maybe playing some safety.

Poyer and Hyde are 32 years old.  Poyer was gimping around with multiple injuries at the end of last season; Hyde feels great now, but he's recovering from neck surgery and until he's on the field giving and taking hits there will be a question in my mind, "can he still play?"

Rapp is a legit NFL starting-capable backup, no question there.  Good add.

Hamlin played better, I thought, as his playing time increased.  If he comes back at the same level, we're likely set save for a late round pick.  But I felt he was a marginal starter before the whole cardiac episode.  If he does come back will it be at the same level?  Don't know.

So do we need another guy?  If Hamlin comes back and is playing at the same level probably not.  If he comes back and is not playing at the same level, or doesn't come back, probably so.

Mayden is a PS guy from the Eagles going into his 4th season without ever having started a game

Zane Anderson is a special teamer who might be able to lay safety, we don't know.

Neither of them are guys I want to see starting at safety.

Lewis played some safety last season.  I don't wanna see that again.  YMMV.

Edited by Beck Water

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Poyer and Hyde are 32 years old.  Poyer was gimping around with multiple injuries at the end of last season; Hyde feels great now, but he's recovering from neck surgery and until he's on the field giving and taking hits there will be a question in my mind, "can he still play?"

Hamlin played better, I thought, as his playing time increased.  If he comes back at the same level, we're likely set save for a late round pick.  But I felt he was a marginal starter before the whole cardiac episode.  If he does come back will it be at the same level?  Don't know.

So do we need another guy?  If Hamlin comes back and is playing at the same level probably not.  If he comes back and is not playing at the same level, or doesn't come back, probably so.

Mayden is a PS guy from the Eagles going into his 4th season without ever having started a game

Zane Anderson is a special teamer who might be able to lay safety, we don't know.

Christian Benford is also a potential option.

7 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

If there were not a lot of other concerns on the roster and you didn’t have 3 guys who could all start, then sure.  I’d love to have somebody better as a back-up at #4, but let’s be real, that’s not the priority.

Hyde has an Eric Wood type injury. 

Hamlin may never play again.

Well, we will see 

11 hours ago, Herb Nightly said:

Bills have ~56M in cap devoted to DB's for 2023 which leads the NFL.  

But why not? It would be more indication that spending on DB's and sinking more into the defense overall won't work.  

11 hours ago, Beck Water said:

If he's better in coverage than Rapp, I'd get him and move Rapp. Rapp is a box safety only. 

17 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

If he's better in coverage than Rapp, I'd get him and move Rapp. Rapp is a box safety only. 

That isn't what media folks have been saying about him (Rapp) and can cover as well as defend the run. 

Of course they could all be wrong.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

That isn't what media folks have been saying about him (Rapp) and can cover as well as defend the run. 

Of course they could all be wrong.

He's slow (4.77 40), the LA fan board regularly took him to task for being out of position in coverage and lacking recovery speed. Then again, those are fans and in McD's system he could be okay. 

6 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

He's slow (4.77 40), the LA fan board regularly took him to task for being out of position in coverage and lacking recovery speed. Then again, those are fans and in McD's system he could be okay. 

I mean, to listen to fans here Edmunds sucks, was always out of position or choosing the wrong gap.  Guess Eberflus (who coached LB for the Cowboys for 8 yrs before becoming Colts DC then Bears HC) is just stupid about LB talent evaluation, relative to those fans.

There are many positions on the Bills where I have what I think are legit questions about the Bills FO's ability to assess football talent.  OL for example - Cody Ford was a total bust.  It also seems pretty evident that the Bills are not geting great ROI on their DL.

DB is not one of those positions.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I mean, to listen to fans here Edmunds sucks, was always out of position or choosing the wrong gap.  Guess Eberflus (who coached LB for the Cowboys for 8 yrs before becoming Colts DC then Bears HC) is just stupid about LB talent evaluation, relative to those fans.

There are many positions on the Bills where I have what I think are legit questions about the Bills FO's ability to assess football talent.  OL for example - Cody Ford was a total bust.  It also seems pretty evident that the Bills are not geting great ROI on their DL.

I agree their scheme allows for fewer elite athletes in the secondary to be effective.  Last year was riddled with injuries but w/o a near elite pass rush, our secondary was sliced up by good QB's and Burrow in particular. Rapp looks like a more willing tackler but I'm still thinking Tyreek and speed guys will routinely burn him on YAC. We'll see. 

14 hours ago, Beck Water said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/36019987/seahawks-rescind-offer-restricted-free-agent-s-ryan-neal

6'2" or 6'3", ran a 4.47 40. 

Signed with Eagles then Falcons as UDFA, spent a year primarily as a PS member with the Seahawks

Started 10 games for the Seahawks last season

Other than the fact that this guy's contracts have been for the Birds, would he be worth a look as a player we could develop?

He's 27

Can he block for Josh Allen?

13 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

I agree their scheme allows for fewer elite athletes in the secondary to be effective.  Last year was riddled with injuries but w/o a near elite pass rush, our secondary was sliced up by good QB's and Burrow in particular. Rapp looks like a more willing tackler but I'm still thinking Tyreek and speed guys will routinely burn him on YAC. We'll see. 

Tyreek burns literally everyone so yes he would most likely burn Rapp also.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Beck Water said:

o, add a safety NEXT year if you ae worried about depth. Don't forget the PLAYER'S PERSPECTIVE. What if HE sees all these names on the roster and wonders where he fits? Assuming the BILLS even want to talk to him.

Edited by Herb Nightly

16 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

So, one reason I brought up Neal is that pre-draft, he was way faster - 4.47s 40

Not that I think "Pajama Time" is the be-all and end-all metric some seem to think it is - LB and DBs around the league have been learning for years now that Josh Allen plays much faster than his 4.75 40-time would suggest.

On the other hand, Neal was legit faster than Rapp, a 2nd round pick.  Neal was a small school, small conference college player (SIU) who likely legit needed a couple years to adjust to the NFL game.

4 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

o, add a safety NEXT year if you ae worried about depth. Don't forget the PLAYER'S PERSPECTIVE. What if HE sees all these names on the roster and wonders where he fits? Assuming the BILLS even want to talk to him.

Well, that's the question - should the Bills want to talk to him?  In the talking, it's the Bills job to make a case for where he fits, if they're interested.

The Bills are sort of the Safety equivalent of Schroedinger's Cat, we may or may not have a crying need on the roster THIS season, depending upon whether Hamlin returns and how Hyde and Poyer have recovered from injuries/how healthy they can stay.

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So, one reason I brought up Neal is that pre-draft, he was way faster - 4.47s 40

Not that I think "Pajama Time" is the be-all and end-all metric some seem to think it is - LB and DBs around the league have been learning for years now that Josh Allen plays much faster than his 4.75 40-time would suggest.

On the other hand, Neal was legit faster than Rapp, a 2nd round pick.  Neal was a small school, small conference college player (SIU) who likely legit needed a couple years to adjust to the NFL game.

We have the luxury of some vets to allow for that. Getting younger and faster in the secondary is a smart move. It's why I thought we bring him in and if he's better than Rapp, move somebody else. 

20 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Where would he play? You think he wants to come to Buffalo to sit on the bench? Post-draft maybe a better opportunity is available 

8 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Well, we will see 

Maybe those are among the reasons RAPP was signed. I think FA safeties were disappointed in their market this year

9 hours ago, Beck Water said:

although in this case Rapp was signed to be the third safety on a team and not a benchmark for future contracts. 

id venture most of his skills come with disclaimers like “good in space for a…” or “while lacking speed still competently can….”

there’s some clear context in what the nfl thinks of rapp vs Maine 

12 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Well, we will see 

Rapp is good insurance for Hyde.  Hamlin was not great before, I wouldn’t count on him for anything to be honest. I don’t see them adding anybody else though.

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

although in this case Rapp was signed to be the third safety on a team and not a benchmark for future contracts. 

id venture most of his skills come with disclaimers like “good in space for a…” or “while lacking speed still competently can….”

there’s some clear context in what the nfl thinks of rapp vs Maine

The point is, fans of a team on message boards are NOT a good barometer for "what the NFL thinks" of a player.

If they were - Edmunds would never have gotten that $18M/yr contract

I don't think that point is lessened by being applied to a lower-tier FA vs. a top tier - fans will crush a guy even when he gets paid as a legit top player, so they'll crush even harder when a guy is at a lower tier.

And no, I have not seen those disclaimers, but you're welcome to find 'em and link 'em here if you want to demonstrate your own point.

On 4/3/2023 at 8:37 PM, HOUSE said:

Its a waste....Is rather see that money used elsewhere; TE,for example. This guy would be cheap because the safety market seems depressed; that doesn't mean he is worth it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.