Keenum to hou

Reed83HOF

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Darnold or trubisky.  And they’ll be cheaper than keenum was.  

Mitch has a big contract at Pittsburg, and I understand the owner down there wants to keep him.  Like because he isn't yet sure about Pinkett.  I  think Tomlin makes the  decisions down there, but the money talks as they say.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

I would rather Bills develop a rookie as 3rd QB.

Maybe Bennett

There are plenty of options out there that are relatively inexpensive and don't make me want to throw up in my mouth

Darnold is a decent option

Heinicke is another

Would love Brissett because he can actually play, and is a tough SOB

We're not drafting a QB for as long as Josh Allen wants Matt Barkley as the #3

2 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

It doesn’t matter who the backup is. If Allen is out for any significant time they’d have no chance anyways.

Come on!  Everyone knows that, "with this roster"  both Trubisky AND Keenum "could go 11-6"!!!

3 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Sam Darnold?

3 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Darnold or trubisky.  And they’ll be cheaper than keenum was.  

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Sam isn’t very good, even as BU QBs go, he would likely only be selected because of Josh, not because of his skill set, oh well if it turns out to be Sam,

2 hours ago, Blank Stare said:

This is where I am. Him or Darnold. Plus, if you wanted Brissett could run some of the short yardage QB sneaks to save Josh from those extra hits. 

2 hours ago, wppete said:

How much for Darnold do you think? $2-3 million per year? 

No Darnold

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

There are plenty of options out there that are relatively inexpensive and don't make me want to throw up in my mouth

Darnold is a decent option

Heinicke is another

Would love Brissett because he can actually play, and is a tough SOB

We're not drafting a QB for as long as Josh Allen wants Matt Barkley as the #3

I'd like a Kordell Stewart type of QB.  A player who can take significant snaps as WR as well as back up QB. 

I do not expect him to supplant Josh but he might be able to get Bills a draft pick back in a few years. 

24 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Do you approve?

If not.. What should he do instead? You want to draft someone ?...

I'm down with one of these 26- to 27-year-olds (there are a number of them) to sign to a 2–3-year contract.

Get one who has started some games and try to develop him in the Bills system for a long-term backup.

Minshew, Rypien, Lock, Mullens or Allen.  They are at the junction of their careers knowing they have no real chance at starting.

Get the guy whose head is now set on backup for a long time.

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm down with one of these 26- to 27-year-olds (there are a number of them) to sign to a 2–3-year contract.

Get one who has started some games and try to develop him in the Bills system for a long-term backup.

Minshew, Rypien, Lock, Mullens or Allen.  They are at the junction of their careers knowing they have no real chance at starting.

If  they want to sign a multi year deal for $2-3M a year then great.. , cause thats all we want to pay...

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GolfandBills said:

Lots of better options out there than Keenum.  I was glad they didn’t bring him back 

Yea me too. I liked the pickup last year and I have always thought Case was one of the better backups in the NFL but man when he played in pre-season and the odd bit of mop up last year he looked washed. I'd like them to try and find someone more mobile as well given my level of trust in the oline.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Rypien is garbage. Nick Mullens numbers are a product of Kyle Shanahan. Drew Lock would be great but suspect he will sign a decent deal.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Bills didn’t even trust him enough to play him while Josh was hurt

Not gonna miss

I doubt that even entered their thoughts. More like, does Josh want to play? Can he? OK, we'll play him.

I'm not going to miss him either, but replacing his ability to take over, and doing it as cheaply as possible, will become an important consideration.

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He is a decent enough guy to be a backup. 

I love the guy, mentioned earlier in the offseason I’d like to have him. 

Big question is does he fit in the QB room? Is he a contributor to helping Josh?  Not that he’d be a distraction, but wonder if he’d rather go somewhere he has a chance at playing time?

2 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

I love the guy, mentioned earlier in the offseason I’d like to have him. 

Big question is does he fit in the QB room? Is he a contributor to helping Josh?  Not that he’d be a distraction, but wonder if he’d rather go somewhere he has a chance at playing time?

Both good points. Not sure a backup QB stealing camp headlines for his outfit is very McBeane. He did go to Philly last year where he surely knew he'd sit.. but if he gets an offer somewhere with a more dicey starter in place maybe that is more attractive?

The other thing for the Bills here is comp pick formula. They need to be really careful not to blow a 3rd next year from Edmunds on backups.

Edited by GunnerBill

10 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Let's face it, if Allen we're to go down, we'd be lucky to win any games with a backup QB.  On the season we'd be lucky to finish 3rd in the division.  

As a team, the other 21 starting positions are weak, and seemingly getting even weaker. 

Winning with a backup QB would require a good all-around team to play well with a mediocre or average-at-best QB.  We don't have that.  

We have a phenominal QB that masks the fact that we do not.  

This is pretty close to all nonsense.

Yeah, Allen is hugely important to this team, and without him we wouldn't be nearly as good.

But the rest of the team, without so many injuries, is also very good. It's not a mistake that we were generally considered one of the top two or three complete rosters in the league.

It's also not a mistake that even when Allen was injured and considerably worse than he normally was, we still won two out of the next three games, despite Allen's very average 84.67 passer rating in those games. And frankly, if we hadn't lost Edmunds in the second half, it would probably have been three out of three. With Edmunds in in the first half the D looked excellent, and in the second half with him out, we looked awful.

We have a good team even without Allen. Allen makes it a great team. With a replacement-level QB we'd still win a bunch. Probably not enough to make the playoffs, though maybe we would have, seeing two teams with only nine wins made the playoffs in the AFC.

"The other 21 starting positions are  weak," you say? That's frankly stupid thinking. You don't get the 4th ranked defense in DVOA, 6th in yards allowed and 2nd in points allowed, and that's with massive amounts of injuries, not with a weak roster. It's just stupid.

We've got a bunch of good players on offense as well, though we certainly also have areas where improvement was absolutely needed, particularly at LG, RT though that may have been due to an injury, and slot.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Both good points. Not sure a backup QB stealing camp headlines for his outfit is very McBeane. He did go to Philly last year where he surely knew he'd sit.. but if he gets an offer somewhere with a more dicey starter in place maybe that is more attractive?

The other thing for the Bills here is comp pick formula. They need to be really careful not to blow a 3rd next year from Edmunds on backups.

Wonder if his stay in Philly was to show he’s a team guy and learn for a year?

As for comp picks. I’d like to get that  3rd round pick, but we do have some big holes to fill at MLB and safety. If we blow it on filling those spots, that’s fine.  Probably not for a backup QB.

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

This is pretty close to all nonsense.

Yeah, Allen is hugely important to this team, and without him we wouldn't be nearly as good.

But the rest of the team, without so many injuries, is also very good. It's not a mistake that we were generally considered one of the top two or three complete rosters in the league.

It's also not a mistake that even when Allen was injured and considerably worse than he normally was, we still won two out of the next three games, despite Allen's very average 84.67 passer rating in those games. And frankly, if we hadn't lost Edmunds in the second half, it would probably have been three out of three. With Edmunds in in the first half the D looked excellent, and in the second half with him out, we looked awful.

We have a good team even without Allen. Allen makes it a great team. With a replacement-level QB we'd still win a bunch. Probably not enough to make the playoffs, though maybe we would have, seeing two teams with only nine wins made the playoffs in the AFC.

What is ironic is the same people that moan about the defense only being good in the regular season say we couldn't win any regular season games with a backup QB. Despite all the injuries the Bills held opponents to 20 points or fewer 10 times in 2022. If you do that you are in position to win a fair few football games even with backup QB play. 

I don't think we'd have won 10 with Keenum (I should be clear) I think he could have gone .500 in those 10 games though. If Josh missed a full season we are in trouble. But if we need a backup to keep us alive for 4 or 5 weeks I have confidence our defense would step up and help that guy (whoever he may be) out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.