Would you rather flip the Offensive investment through Free Agency or the Draft?

SCBills

If given the choice:

Let Poyer and Edmunds walk.  Trade Ed Oliver.  All three Day 1/Day 2 picks used to replace DT, LB and S.

Then, after likely restructures, the Bills become MAJOR players in Free Agency.  We're talking about the ability to sign 2 premier OL Free Agents, along with a WR like OBJ or Meyers.

OR

We likely let Poyer walk regardless, but keep Oliver and re-sign Edmunds.  Maybe have enough money to sign an IOL. 

Draft WR/OL/S on Day 1 and Day 2. 

------

I'd be fine with heavy defensive draft investment if it means getting Allen proven protection and another proven weapon.  We can always draft a WR early next year with Davis in a contract year.  

Hypothetically (or something similar)

Allen

Dawkins - Bates - Morse - Seumalo - McGlinchey (Brown OL6)

Cook - Day 3 Pick - Hines

Knox - Morris

Diggs - OBJ - Davis - Shakir - Beasley

Von - Jones - RD1 Pick - Rousseau

RD2 Pick - Milano 

White - Elam - Taron

RD3 Pick/Benford - Hyde

Enough money to bring back depth guys like Boettger, Jackson, Marlowe, Phillips, Lawson etc.,

-----

I doubt we do this, but I think it's time to pour money into the Offense.  By doing that, I'd be ok with another defense heavy draft.  Allen needs PROVEN protection, and a guy like OBJ on a 2-3 year deal (tied to Von's time here) makes all the sense in the world for us.

Or do we want status quo on Defense and an Offense-heavy draft?

They don't NEED to keep spending day 1 picks on defense.  We don't NEED a top 5 defense every year.  Just going to have to live with an average D and invest the resources to offense.  The rules favor the offense, we have a superhuman at QB, invest in it instead of forcing him to do superhuman things too often.  OLine and WR.  The D is going to get scored on in the playoffs against good offensive teams, we have seen that throughout the playoffs. and from experience. It doesn't matter...rules are titled too heavily to the offense now, stop trying be great at both and focus on being great at the side of the ball where we can benefit the most.  

If McD is such a great defensive coach he should be able to do more with less.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 7

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

They don't NEED to keep spending day 1 picks on defense.  We don't NEED a top 5 defense every year.  Just going to have to live with an average D and invest the resources to offense.  The rules favor the offense, we have a superhuman at QB, invest in it instead of forcing him to do superhuman things too often.  OLine and WR.  The D is going to get scored on in the playoffs against good offensive teams, we have seen that throughout the playoffs. and from experience. It doesn't matter...rules are titled too heavily to the offense now, stop trying be great at both and focus on being great at the side of the ball where we can benefit the most.  

I completely agree, but would be fine taking a stud DT if we get Oliver off the books to sign a premier OL.   DL is where I don't hate the investment, BUT Beane has to do better... and I'm to the point where I'd rather spend/trade for a Von Miller merc every few years while drafting monster DT's.

As far as LB goes, if we let Edmunds walk, given we only play 2 LB's primarily, they are going to draft one early and/or sign a capable mid-tier vet.  I'm fine with that too... IF the Edmunds money goes to Offense.  

Safety is where I start getting beyond frustrated, because we shouldn't need to use a Day 2 pick at Safety... there are going to be places where we aren't top notch on Defense, and I'm completely fine letting Benford and Marlowe go at it for who starts next to Hyde over the summer.  

26 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If given the choice:

Let Poyer and Edmunds walk.  Trade Ed Oliver.  All three Day 1/Day 2 picks used to replace DT, LB and S.

Then, after likely restructures, the Bills become MAJOR players in Free Agency.  We're talking about the ability to sign 2 premier OL Free Agents, along with a WR like OBJ or Meyers.

OR

We likely let Poyer walk regardless, but keep Oliver and re-sign Edmunds.  Maybe have enough money to sign an IOL. 

------

I'd be fine with heavy defensive draft investment if it means getting Allen proven protection and another proven weapon.  We can always draft a WR early next year with Davis in a contract year.  

Allen

Knox - Morris

RD2 Pick - Milano 

White - Elam - Taron

RD3 Pick/Benford - Hyde

Enough money to bring back depth guys like Boettger, Jackson, Marlowe, Phillips, Lawson etc.,

-----

I doubt we do this, but I think it's time to pour money into the Offense.  By doing that, I'd be ok with another defense heavy draft.  Allen needs PROVEN protection, and a guy like OBJ on a 2-3 year deal (tied to Von's time here) makes all the sense in the world for us.

I think aiming for an above average offensive line is the sweet spot. There’s very little difference between the impact of the 4th and 16th best OLs, but the cost is very different. So I’d like to see the Bills aim to field the 10th-12th best OL while finding a C of the future and maintaining good depth. That should leave enough resources to find another playmaker at WR and still have some leftover for a little defensive help. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I think aiming for an above average offensive line is the sweet spot. There’s very little difference between the impact of the 4th and 16th best OLs, but the cost is very different. So I’d like to see the Bills aim to field the 10th-12th best OL while finding a C of the future and maintaining good depth. That should leave enough resources to find another playmaker at WR and still have some leftover for a little defensive help. 

Potentially true, but it isn't lost on me that the #1 OL and #2 OL played each other in the Super Bowl.  

Also isn't lost on me that the "elite" defense didn't look any different from the average defense in that game.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Bills will keep Oliver because there are higher priorities to address imo.  Poyer is likely gone so that's likely at least a draft pick needed.  Also, even though they like Edmunds I think he's gonna get a huge offer somewhere else.  So losing Edmunds is a huge hole to fill.  Probably sign a veteran LB as a bridge and draft a LB early (first 3 rounds.)  The remaining picks hopefully are used on OL, WR, and a late pick on RB.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Your points are true, but I think it would be foolish to just flat not consider half of the players in the draft because they play defense.  That, I think, would be a recipe for reaches and disappointment.  I understand and agree that if there are relatively equal options available at any given pick on offense and defense that we'd prefer they lean offense, but I think it looks likely that at some of their picks that there could be better options on defense available than on offense.  For instance, I think that there could be a better pass rusher available at pick 27 than the options remaining at OL and WR.  

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Potentially true, but it isn't lost on me that the #1 OL and #2 OL played each other in the Super Bowl.  

Also isn't lost on me that the "elite" defense didn't look any different from the average defense in that game.  

Point taken, although I don’t think I’d have KC’s quite that high. Philly probably had the best in the NFL tho. Maybe Cleveland was with them or better when healthy. 

And good point on the “elite” defenses. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Bills are -$20M without signing Poyer or Edmunds and once you move Saffold and Phillips void year money and replace them on the Top 51.

How much cap in restructuring do you think Beane is going to free up?

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Bills are -$20M without signing Poyer or Edmunds and once you move Saffold and Phillips void year money and replace them on the Top 51.

How much cap in restructuring do you think Beane is going to free up?

The Allen restructure brings us to where we are out of the red.

Bills are likely willing to restructure other guys that have been mentioned in order to free up, say, 12M for Year 1 of an Edmunds deal. 

Trade Ed Oliver.  Gives us around 11M.

Operating on that premise alone, simply letting Edmunds walk and trading Oliver, frees up - at minimum - 23M that the Bills likely had earmarked for those two. 

Edited by SCBills

25 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The Allen restructure brings us to where we are out of the red.

Bills are likely willing to restructure other guys that have been mentioned in order to free up, say, 12M for Year 1 of an Edmunds deal. 

Trade Ed Oliver.  Gives us around 11M.

Operating on that premise alone, simply letting Edmunds walk and trading Oliver, frees up - at minimum - 23M that the Bills likely had earmarked for those two. 

I guess we'll find out about an Oliver trade soon enough.  I just don't see that happening.  You give a lot of options, but money will be tight.

You're cutting McKenzie to keep  Beasley? Don't assume Bills won't consider bringing Crowder back.

Dane Jackson is RFA and they could keep him.

Spencer Brown was banged up early and I wonder of he takes a step this year.

A second TE might help this offense.

And no thanks to OBJ. I'd rather add a young,healthy WR in the draft or free agency.

8 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I guess we'll find out about an Oliver trade soon enough.  I just don't see that happening.  You give a lot of options, but money will be tight.

Honestly, I don't either.  I absolutely loathe the fact Oliver is eating 11M next year.  We have zero DT's locked up beyond next year, but that's a story for another time.  

I think it's such a gross mismanagement of cap to pay him that money while we're all pontificating on how the Bills can scrape together scraps to sign a mid-tier IOL.  

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Honestly, I don't either.  I absolutely loathe the fact Oliver is eating 11M next year.  We have zero DT's locked up beyond next year, but that's a story for another time.  

I think it's such a gross mismanagement of cap to pay him that money while we're all pontificating on how the Bills can scrape together scraps to sign a mid-tier IOL.  

It will no doubt be an interesting year no matter which way Beane turns the team or not.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

If given the choice:

OR

------

Allen

Knox - Morris

RD2 Pick - Milano 

White - Elam - Taron

RD3 Pick/Benford - Hyde

-----

As far as I am concerned, as long as Frazier is here, it almost doesn't matter if we let Edmunds and Poyer walk because the scheme we play is atrocious in the post season against teams like Chiefs and Bengals, who the AFC will be going through for the foreseeable future.  Not to mention other teams are on the rise like Jets, Miami, and Jags.  

So while in the past, I have been keen about keeping both sides of the ball up, this offseason I have flipped to focusing mostly on the offense and start cutting salaries on defense because I have absolutely no faith in Frazier come post season time to be any better or worse despite it.  

There are guys in FA like Al-Shaair from SF who can be had cheaper that can do a lot of the things Edmunds does and there are some options at Safety too.  If I had to pick one to keep though, it would be Poyer for 2 years because he will be a much smaller cap hit than Edmunds.  

I would also trade Oliver just because I have a hard time seeing them shell out big money to keep a guy who has been so inconsistent and dependent on the guys around him to succeed.  I think an interior DL core that is made up of Jones, Phillips and Settle is strong enough that we can afford to trade Oliver and then add another DT in FA or Draft.  

Now spend a lot of that saved money this year and next year (not having to pay Oliver) and our draft picks on revamping the OL and getting another legit receiving weapon and an upgrade at RB.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

I never liked the Oliver pick.  The whole thing in college with the jacket on the sidelines didn't leave a positive impression to begin with, but when his name got called just something about how he rubbed his hands together just screamed to me he was only thinking about the money he make and not that he realized a lifelong dream of getting drafted into the NFL.  Nothing he shows playing or in interviews tells me he loves playing.  Let him cash his checks from another team.

Edited by AuntieEm

11 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

hard to imagine OBJ has much left.  why keep gambling on huge contract shiny objects, failed this year with Von

Not a popular opinion but I'm kinda onboard.    $120m was a lot to spend on Von even given that many DEs continue to produce well into their 30s.   

Now we're in cap hell and don't have the resources to fix our weak position groups and create a SB caliber roster.  

• Agree 1

I need to see what the numbers are for guys like Tremaine Edmunds before I answer this question

In all honesty, I would love to have him back, but I don’t want to have him back at a price point that is going to cripple us being able to make improvements

With poyer I think that’s a situation of getting out a year a year early which would be smart. He got pretty beat up this last year and I love Jordan Poyer just when it’s time it’s time.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Your points are true, but I think it would be foolish to just flat not consider half of the players in the draft because they play defense.  That, I think, would be a recipe for reaches and disappointment.  I understand and agree that if there are relatively equal options available at any given pick on offense and defense that we'd prefer they lean offense, but I think it looks likely that at some of their picks that there could be better options on defense available than on offense.  For instance, I think that there could be a better pass rusher available at pick 27 than the options remaining at OL and WR.  

I can get on board with its foolish to ignore defensive players, but I would counter that with only draft playmakers and freaks for defense early.

Drafting to fill holes in a defense is crazy, sign a FA if the absolute right guy isn't there.

I think we end up keeping Oliver and re-signing Edmunds.  Which are both good moves: Oliver has been great at times, but inconsistent.  I could see him having a big contract year.  And Edmunds is just good. He'd be very tough to replace.

I think I'm at a point where I'd be shocked if 3 out of our first 4 picks are NOT offense. I could get BPA dictating a defensive player at one of the picks - but I think the focus will be strongly O-line, and WR.

We have two coaches Frazier and McDermott who have a combined 40 years coaching defense they can make do with mid round picks. So I want the early picks in the draft to concentrate on offense.

If they can pickup a free agent guard that would be great but if they want to use free agency for the defensive issues fine but the draft must be offense especially receiver since we have no idea how Diggs is going to react after next season and his Diva personality he had in Minny is starting to show up here and we can trade him with less of a cap hit ala what KC did with the Cheetah. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Yes, please.

I have issues with ambiguity
So , I agree.
To the OPs query ? Yes. Both , either, or all the above :)

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

Not a popular opinion but I'm kinda onboard.    $120m was a lot to spend on Von even given that many DEs continue to produce well into their 30s.   

Now we're in cap hell and don't have the resources to fix our weak position groups and create a SB caliber roster.  

Feel a little Russ Brandonish to you when it happened?

Not to take away Millers skillset or proven record. But , that was a lot of money spend to get the fanbase rabid. it worked.
till it didn't
 wait whats the heat under my chair !?  Am going to get flamed for this aren't I  lol

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Those teams that got scored on in the playoffs all have one thing in common. None of them had Von Miller in the lineup. That was a key factor in how the game went this last year.

We don't need more at WR,, though I think they will bring in some, and it would make sense. Not a need, but a logical place for improvement, IMO.

We need OL improvement. And safety. 

And if we create any holes as the OL posited, we'll have new needs there too.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I have issues with ambiguity
So , I agree.
To the OPs query ? Yes. Both , either, or all the above :)

Feel a little Russ Brandonish to you when it happened?

Not to take away Millers skillset or proven record. But , that was a lot of money spend to get the fanbase rabid. it worked.
till it didn't
 wait whats the heat under my chair !?  Am going to get flamed for this aren't I  lol

I don’t think 20M AAV / 3 years locked in is a wild overpay for Von.  

We had a Top 5 DL with him.  Bottom third without. 

Pass Rushers can play at a high level well into their 30’s. 

What happened to Von, could have just as easily happened to Chris Jones.. a guy who if taken off KC, completely decimates their DL as well. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

They didn't spend $120M on Von.

The 6th year of that contract, has him getting a salary of $29.645M. Anyone think he's getting that in 2027 at 38 years old?

That contract is a 3 year deal ($17.47M AAV) with reasonable ways to make it a 4 year ($17.475M) or 5 year deal ($17.982) if he's still producing at a high level.

Still not cheap. But Von's loss was a huge blow to our title hopes.

Beane has shown no tendencies to do big FA deals every year. But once every four or five years is a reasonably common blueprint and fits what he did with Miller.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Get rid of Edmunds at all costs. They can't tie up that much money on a player who makes no plays.  Tag and trade would be best but even if they just let him walk for a comp pick it's addition by subtraction.

I don't care one way or another on Poyer.  8 games into 2022 I said bring him back. But he was awful down the stretch.  I'd rather go forward with Hyde and Benford or White at the other safety spot.  

The defenses made one play in the SuperBowl that mattered and there was one awful punt.  Other than that the entire story of the SuperBowl and for that matter both Conference Championships was about the respective offenses.  Give Allen and O-line and another WR.  

Give McD and Dorsey one more year. SuperBowl or bust.  No SuperBowl you need to cut bait and find someone that can win it all.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Mango said:

We don’t have any money. We will have to borrow from 2025 to field a roster. 

Restructuring Allen, which makes completely rational sense to do, gets us out of the red.  

Let Edmunds and Poyer walk.  Don’t have to borrow any money when you’re not spending it. 

Trade Ed Oliver.  There’s 11M in cap without any other restructures.  

Benford/Marlowe at Safety opposite Hyde. 

Phillips back cheap with Jones/Settle and a draft pick.  

Given the Bernard pick seems completely ridiculous, yea… likely have to draft a MLB on Day 2 and/or sign a mid-tier vet. 

It doesn’t need to be so dire…. Just stop spending $$$ and high picks like drunken sailors on defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Those teams that got scored on in the playoffs all have one thing in common. None of them had Von Miller in the lineup. That was a key factor in how the game went this last year.

We don't need more at WR,, though I think they will bring in some, and it would make sense. Not a need, but a logical place for improvement, IMO.

We need OL improvement. And safety. 

And if we create any holes as the OL posited, we'll have new needs there too.

C'mon man...let's stop being silly. The 49ers had Bosa who is better than Von Miller is right now. He just won DPOY. 

The Eagles led the NFL in sacks and came within 2 of tying the all time record of the 85 Bears.

None of that mattered in the playoffs. Having Von Miller wouldn't have made any difference to us getting scored on.

13 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I hope Beane is reading this!

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

Restructuring Allen, which makes completely rational sense to do, gets us out of the red.  

Let Edmunds and Poyer walk.  Don’t have to borrow any money when you’re not spending it. 

Trade Ed Oliver.  There’s 11M in cap without any other restructures.  

Benford/Marlowe at Safety opposite Hyde. 

Phillips back cheap with Jones/Settle and a draft pick.  

Given the Bernard pick seems completely ridiculous, yea… likely have to draft a MLB on Day 2 and/or sign a mid-tier vet. 

It doesn’t need to be so dire…. Just stop spending $$$ and high picks like drunken sailors on defense. 

I agree with everything but  say goodbye to Settle and Bernard.  Sign Vander Esch to a cheap 2 yr deal to replace 49.

On 2/21/2023 at 10:18 PM, SCBills said:

If given the choice:

OR

------

Allen

Knox - Morris

RD2 Pick - Milano 

White - Elam - Taron

RD3 Pick/Benford - Hyde

-----

I doubt OBJ is coming here for less than 10M a year....The Bills don't have the cash to invest on one more expensive FA WR.   They have to hope the draft helps them here.

I like Ed but he hasn't lived up to his draft status & to this point of his career he's not very relevant unless there is someone else helping him out weather it be on the inside like Phillips or Von taking attention away from him .

I would like to see the Bills trade him to free up the cap space & get a much bigger guy inside for better money & maybe more upside . I've always wanted the Bills to try Ed as a edge rusher given his first step is so good but i don't see that ever happening & i think they know his ceiling & it's time for a change .

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.