Jessie Pegula reveals more about Kim

extrahammer

I'm praying for Kim and all the Pegula's. We're so lucky to have them. When I heard the news, my mind took me today to the press conference with Terry and Kim when they announced Kevin Adams was the new Sabres GM (zoom call due to COVID). I was just totally impressed with their grace that day and their explanations why they went in that direction and how they wanted people who they trust, hence KA (which has proven to be the 100 percent right call). It was another side of them I saw that I was just so impressed with. It's just incredibly sad.    

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Wow!  Glad your doing so well.  

There's some medication that they use that is supposed to be very effective with stroke patients if they can get it into you in the first few hours or maybe even a day.  Since you were in the hospital, I'd bet you got it and that it contributed to what sounds like a great recovery.  I'm happy for it.  

If you don't mind talking about it, could you explain to us how it feels to be aphasic.  I understand the frustration level is huge, because your brain is thinking but you can't find words to say what you're thinking.  

The 'wonder  drug" is TPA (tissue plasminogen activator), a clot buster.  I don't think I got that, but I know I got heparin, a blood thinner. I got injections for several days in my abdomen, which was covered I'n bruises at  the injection site. Burned for a few seconds when injected as I remember it.  Had  a heart monitor on for over a week (had to scrub the adhesive from the leads off mt chest). 

Aphasia- your brain is working ok internally. You know exactly what you want to say but  getting the words out of that spot and to your mouth is what frustrates you. (The "tip of the tongue " phenomenon).bI knew my brain was healing when I tied my shoes with no help the day before I flew back to Buffalo. I did it without thinking that time and almost started cryingwwith happiness. You lay in bed thinking "will I be like this the rest of my life?" About a month after that I was watching Caddyshack on the TV and was repeating the lines as they were on the TV "It's in the hole!, etc.".HAd a little more trouble with names. Example-That fall they had the Snickers commercial on with the Brady Bunch and Steve Buschemi as Jan. I knew he was in Fargo and on the Sopranos but could not remember his name no matter how hard I tried. Asked my sister his name and then repeated it over and over until I could remember it. When I go food shopping for more than 2 or 3 items I need a list to not forget something. Had a mind like a steel trap before the stroke.

P.S.- didn't drive for a year.

Edited by Wacka
Site had a stroke-repeated my post 3X
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

FYI. Docs may not tell you, but being a Bills fan adds 20 points to diastolic and systolic measurements. You may need a different med dosage in season.  

Hey don't laugh. Being a Bills Fan increases blood pressure, stress, blood sugar, heart murmurs, alcoholism 🤪 etc. It's probably well documented. 

• Haha (+1) 2

9 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Hopefully the guy on this board that keeps complaining about "Not wanting to hear how the Bills had to overcome adversity" reads this article.  This goes beyond football, but Kim was a huge part of the organization, even going as far to make the players cookies.  You think that didnt weigh on them?

Keep going Kim.   You have an entire city behind you.  

Am pretty sure the details of Kim’s illness were not shared with the Bills players before so your post about it affecting the players is bit absurd . 

• Like (+1) 1

I have been certified in CPR since the early 1980's.  I have been a CPR Instructor since 1989.

I am 0 for 6 in doing CPR in the field.

For Kim's daughter to be successful in performing CPR on her Mom.....I am in awe!  What a pair of kids Kim and Terry have raised.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

I've been assuming this whole time that she either suffered a drug overdose or a failed suicide attempt.  Those are usually pretty safe bets when a family is extremely tight-lipped about what's going on.  I wish they had just said earlier that she had a heart attack.

That was, in my opinion, a terrible assumption. She’s not a 15-25 year old male. There the odds might have been with you., but it would still be inappropriate , IMO.  The odds were with some type of cardiac event resulting in a long recovery, but I was just fine waiting for the family to make it public. Prayers to all, and get well Kim! 

They have every right to privacy and releasing information on their terms, at their time. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

I am stunned at how many terrible things this team, the staff, the players and sadly even the owner and his family went through last year. It really is beyond belief. What a shtty year! I dont believe in karma but if it exists, I think the Bills and the fans are owed some good fortune for the pain of the last year!

I'm not sure what I believe regarding karma or anything else regarding spirituality .... I just hope this beautiful woman/soul is blessed with continued healing and full recovery.

Edited by Kornfed
  • Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, taglientep said:

same.  She was/ is the leader of the organization.  

Agree. She convinced her husband to buy the Bills.

All over the league we have heard good things about Kim.  None of the back biting others do occasionally with their "complements".

She became very active in the NFL without losing the touch she had with community and fans and the neurosis of Bills Mafia.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RangerDave said:

I have been certified in CPR since the early 1980's.  I have been a CPR Instructor since 1989.

I am 0 for 6 in doing CPR in the field.

For Kim's daughter to be successful in performing CPR on her Mom.....I am in awe!  What a pair of kids Kim and Terry have raised.

Thats not surprising since outside of a hospital,  CPR success rate is really low--around 10% at best.      Its not like the movies.

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Wacka said:

I could  have died 8 years ago if the stroke had happened while I was driving or not in the hospital. This is all bonus time.

ust 

Couldn't just 'Awesome' this post as it would only speak to your awesome outcome and overlook the 'Sad' that it happened and 'Thanks' for sharing your story.  Love the bonus time comment - enjoy every moment, we all should regardless of circumstance. 

WRT Jessica's post, it brought tears to my eyes and I wish the entire Pegula family all the best.

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

I had a similar, but luckily not as bad, experience when I was close to 40.

I was having severe headaches and I NEVER get headaches.  I figured it was just sinuses or something, so I pushed through it.  It got so bad one day, that it literally brought me to tears.  I didn't go to the ER, but I was able to get into the doctors' office.

When the LPN came in to do the normal weigh in, blood pressure, etc., she took my BP and said, "hmmm."  Then she tried it again.  Then she asked if she could try my other arm.  After that, she went to get another LPN, who also took my BP.  At that point, she told me that she was going to get the doctor.

When the doctor came in, she took my BP and told me that it was 225/130 and asked me how I was feeling (other than the headache).  She then did some quick tests to see if I had already suffered any kind of stroke and told me that I was at risk of having either a stroke or a heart attack at any time.

She wrote a script and told me to go directly to the pharmacy.  It was for a pill that would basically crash my BP.  She then set up an appt., to have CT scans, EKGs, etc. done and told me to go to the hospital to get those done.

Knock on wood, I've never had any issues after that (I've been BP medications ever since) and I get checkups done every 6 months.

That day was the first time I'd seen/met that doctor.  I'm 52 now and she's still my doctor.

I got very lucky that day and I maintain that she saved my life and I'll be forever grateful.

I AM SORRY, won’t go into all the details , but practiced about 40 years, (clean license to this day, no actions or suits and do expert testimony in malpractice cases), and  that decision to send you home , unmonitored to take oral meds , WOULD  NOT MEET THE STANDARD OF CARE IN ANY PART OF THE COUNTRY FOR MANY PAST YEARS,( YOUR SCENARIO AS DESCRIBED, usually requires transport by ambulance to an ER for Iv  meds, monitoring, and imaging as you were symptomatic with the worst headaches of your life, which easily COULD HAVE BEEN AN EARLY BLEED THAT NO PHYSICAL EXAM WOULD FIND 100% of the time). Those levels, with those symptoms, require urgent/emergent treatment while supervised.   

In a hypertensive urgency/emergency , BP is slowly lowered by 10 % approximately over several hours to prevent a stroke from too rapid lowering, and NO ONE should be sent home on oral meds unsupervised, without trained monitoring,   ( you become the treating drs responsibility once in the office, but of course you are free to do anything once fully informed /consent is obtained. if you had stroked going to the pharmacy or never took the meds or they weren’t absorbed because of food or other drug interaction, etc, as you can see many bad things were left to chance theoretically .  Thank God you did well )  unless symptom free and after having been treated/monitored in the office /ER and given meds there with immediate follow up within 24 hours ( in your case tho the severe headache could have been an early bleed and a cat scan was needed to be sure you didn’t already bleed etc).  If anything bad had happened, not only would you possibly be disabled or worse, but a malpractice attorney would love a case like that. 

Just because you did well does not justify inappropriate treatment or therapy, and I am only posting so those reading this don’t think that was adequate care as described.  Hopefully, things were omitted in posting, because if it is as  exactly stated, had you had any bad consequences, that drs malpractice insurance company would settle and never allow that to go court because as described, it would be hard to defend  with any bad outcome.  

There are times you can orally treat with close , very close follow up, but having someone describe the worst headaches in their life with very severely elevated systolic& diastolic pressures, ( sorry,  fingers hit wrong key on iPad and errantly posted, requiring editing) and I think that was an absolute indication for imaging /IV MEDS/ probable admission for your safety and giving you the best chance a good outcome.   There certainly are nuances in the art of medical practice , so if some steps were not mentioned or forgotten, I apologize, but as posted no one should ever be sent home unmonitored to depend on oral meds in this scenario.  People need to know there are standards of care, and as described, those standards were not met if you were treated without medical monitoring in a safe environment , and just sent to a pharmacy with a script. 

I am happy you did do well , and seems like you have a great relationship with your dr and that’s fantastic!  EVERY DR learns and everyone has made errors in judgement , hopefully things worked out and there was no harm.  I just posted , not to attack or be rude, but hypertension is called a silent killer for a reason, as your only symptom was the severe headaches, but at those BP levels it was a hypertensive urgency/emergency and oral meds alone at home is substandard treatment . Some oral meds can drop a BP PRECIPITOUSLY SO sending one home with those symptoms with a script only is very dangerous.  

I am just going by current standards/guidelines and I know this is not football related , but it’s also  not a good idea  to post dangerous treatments or scenarios, esp given the original thread topic. I have seen the results of mistakes in care , and just wanted to address this common issue so no poster ends up with a terrible outcome facing a hypertensive emergency.  

Respect your great posts, insight regarding the BILLS, and I’m glad you’re here healthy to keep enjoying them!  Best wishes; hope this was received in the spirit it was intended; I’m a little jaded as I’ve seen some bad outcomes that should have never happened. 

Edited by DrPJax
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Thoughts are with the Pegula family, this is the hardest thing to deal with… lost my mother to similar circumstances in Buffalo, 17 years ago.

I loved Kim when she was active, and thought it was so amazing for the Bills and the entire NFL to have a prominent young and energetic owner who happened to be female.

Hopefully she will recover more speaking ability over time.

Jessica is an amazing person, and on top of all of this she is top ten in the world in tennis. 

What a test of strength this year has been for the Bills’ entire organization. Hoping for better times very soon, and thanks to the Pegulas for what they have done for Buffalo. 

• Agree 3

Heartbreaking. 

Administering CPR is a very difficult task to do properly knowing you need to save the life of the person you are working on.  I couldn’t imagine giving CPR to a family member like that, especially if it for the first time on another person.  Kudos to her daughter for being able to do so!

My wife in 2013 had a cardiac ablation to fix her Atrial Fibrillation.  During an ablation they snake a wire through your arteries to the heart and “zap” little parts of the heart muscle to eradicate the irritated areas causing the uneven heartbeat.  During this process, my wife suffered a “mild” stroke.  My wife had left sided weakness and more than moderate expressive aphasia.  It took 6 months of hard work for her to get back to work, and continues to have very mild aphasia to this day, especially when she is tired.  

What scares me is when Jessica wrote “Now we come to the realization that all of that is most likely gone. That she won’t be able to be that person anymore”.  There is a period of recovery where you see the most recovery, and then it levels out.  I hope and pray that Kim will have continued improvement and regain as much of herself as she can.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, RiotAct said:

for sure.

I saw at least a couple people say (with seeming certainty) thay it was a stroke - or even multiple strokes.  Which, reading this, was not the case.

I also heard that. Stroke makes more sense for aphasia. 

7 hours ago, DrPJax said:

I AM SORRY, won’t go into all the details , but practiced about 40 years, (clean license to this day, no actions or suits and do expert testimony in malpractice cases), and  that decision to send you home , unmonitored to take oral meds , WOULD  NOT MEET THE STANDARD OF CARE IN ANY PART OF THE COUNTRY FOR MANY PAST YEARS,( YOUR SCENARIO AS DESCRIBED, usually requires transport by ambulance to an ER for Iv  meds, monitoring, and imaging as you were symptomatic with the worst headaches of your life, which easily COULD HAVE BEEN AN EARLY BLEED THAT NO PHYSICAL EXAM WOULD FIND 100% of the time). Those levels, with those symptoms, require urgent/emergent treatment while supervised.   

In a hypertensive urgency/emergency , BP is slowly lowered by 10 % approximately over several hours to prevent a stroke from too rapid lowering, and NO ONE should be sent home on oral meds unsupervised, without trained monitoring,   ( you become the treating drs responsibility once in the office, but of course you are free to do anything once fully informed /consent is obtained. if you had stroked going to the pharmacy or never took the meds or they weren’t absorbed because of food or other drug interaction, etc, as you can see many bad things were left to chance theoretically .  Thank God you did well )  unless symptom free and after having been treated/monitored in the office /ER and given meds there with immediate follow up within 24 hours ( in your case tho the severe headache could have been an early bleed and a cat scan was needed to be sure you didn’t already bleed etc).  If anything bad had happened, not only would you possibly be disabled or worse, but a malpractice attorney would love a case like that. 

Just because you did well does not justify inappropriate treatment or therapy, and I am only posting so those reading this don’t think that was adequate care as described.  Hopefully, things were omitted in posting, because if it is as  exactly stated, had you had any bad consequences, that drs malpractice insurance company would settle and never allow that to go court because as described, it would be hard to defend  with any bad outcome.  

There are times you can orally treat with close , very close follow up, but having someone describe the worst headaches in their life with very severely elevated systolic& diastolic pressures, ( sorry,  fingers hit wrong key on iPad and errantly posted, requiring editing) and I think that was an absolute indication for imaging /IV MEDS/ probable admission for your safety and giving you the best chance a good outcome.   There certainly are nuances in the art of medical practice , so if some steps were not mentioned or forgotten, I apologize, but as posted no one should ever be sent home unmonitored to depend on oral meds in this scenario.  People need to know there are standards of care, and as described, those standards were not met if you were treated without medical monitoring in a safe environment , and just sent to a pharmacy with a script. 

I am happy you did do well , and seems like you have a great relationship with your dr and that’s fantastic!  EVERY DR learns and everyone has made errors in judgement , hopefully things worked out and there was no harm.  I just posted , not to attack or be rude, but hypertension is called a silent killer for a reason, as your only symptom was the severe headaches, but at those BP levels it was a hypertensive urgency/emergency and oral meds alone at home is substandard treatment . Some oral meds can drop a BP PRECIPITOUSLY SO sending one home with those symptoms with a script only is very dangerous.  

I am just going by current standards/guidelines and I know this is not football related , but it’s also  not a good idea  to post dangerous treatments or scenarios, esp given the original thread topic. I have seen the results of mistakes in care , and just wanted to address this common issue so no poster ends up with a terrible outcome facing a hypertensive emergency.  

Respect your great posts, insight regarding the BILLS, and I’m glad you’re here healthy to keep enjoying them!  Best wishes; hope this was received in the spirit it was intended; I’m a little jaded as I’ve seen some bad outcomes that should have never happened. 

My blood pressure will crash and I pass out. I'm having unrelated surgery soon and went for clearance last week. My BP crashed while I was talking to the nurse and I passed out. When I came to they asked how I got there. I said I drove myself. They said hmm, checked BP a couple more times. It started to drop again. Said ok and sent me on my way. Two local hospitals did the same thing. You might pass out but you're good to drive. 

17 hours ago, Malazan said:

I am glad she is improving.

My mom passed away unexpectedly to a similar cardiac issue on January 1st the day before Damar and it was utterly surreal to see it happen. I can understand how much seeing that would affect them. 

I'm so sorry, Malazan.

My mom passed away on New Year's Eve a little more than 20 years ago.  She died slowly and suffered from cancer.

Some people like to compare, which is easier, slow or quick?

...neither...all we know is that the beautiful women who gave us life are gone.

Peace, and I know you carry here with you every day. 

She knows that, too.

• Like (+1) 4

23 hours ago, Draconator said:

Cardiac Arrest, her other daughter saves Kim's life, but some brain damage. Kim can read, and write and has limited speaking abilities, but is still in recovery in a care facility.

What an ordeal

Article said she is home now

It has been a tough year but at the same time I feel lucky and blessed. I am thankful she is still with us when other families may not have been so lucky. That she even had a chance at recovery when the first week in the hospital seemed so dim. Thankful for the doctors that aided in her recovery. Thankful that she is now home, that she gets to watch the Bills, Sabres, and my tennis matches. She never watched my matches before, because she got too nervous. Now she watches all of them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, DrPJax said:

I reluctantly have to agree with @DrPJax here (not reluctant to agree with him per se, but when someone is happy with their medical care reluctant to criticize it).

But if someone else here has a loved one in that situation - yes, that should require professional monitoring while the BP is brought under control, and the severe headache should have received more follow-up tests to ensure no bleed etc.

To @Gugny Thank God you did well and may you continue healthy and happy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Einstein said:

This honestly has nothing to do with the Bills play on the field and correlating it is kind-of gross. Yes, Kim was loved. But players often have their best games and seasons after their parent has died. Or grandmother. Or owner (in the case of Myra Kraft). 

I think you're missing the point that Kim was not "a parent" or "a grandmother".  She was the hands-on president as well as owner, in the building every day, in meetings, a driver of the organization, a decision maker.

My mom is the president and owner of both the Buffalo Sabres and Buffalo Bills. She loved to work. She did everything and our family constantly told her how she needs to slow down and take time for herself. She was the woman behind my dad’s success and my dad would happily admit that. She jumped into this journey with him and learned many lessons along the way, breaking a lot of barriers. She was the shift in culture, positivity, and the heartbeat of many of the employees. She gave everyone so much of her time and effort. She lived it and loved it, and it was felt by everyone she met.

Take someone like that out of the organizational picture and it definitely leaves a void, because you don't necessarily even realize what they're doing until they stop doing it.

23 hours ago, damj said:

My wife went through a cardiac episode a year ago. She was blessed that we got her treatment immediately and it was caused by a freak thing and no heart disease and she is perfectly healthy since.

Gentlemen, you have no idea how you will react until you are in those shoes.

So glad your wife is OK and all the best to you and her going forward.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, Virgil said:

I had no idea.  That's just terrible.  I can't imagine.

On a side note, I'm honestly impressed that none of this leaked and their privacy was respected.

I had that same thought, because of course the Bills leadership team needed to know what was going on to adjust expectations as far as roles and responsibilities and decision making.  Especially at first, I would imagine Terry was reluctant to make the decision that Kim is out of the picture for good.

Very different organization these days than before the Pegulas took over, when it seemed like every bit of laundry inside the building got taken out and aired in the press immediately.

Edited by Beck Water

23 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I agree.  No way the players knew  the details of her condition. 

They may not have known the details of her condition, but the entire staff and coaches and returning players had to know that a key driver in the organization was gone for medical reasons for an indefinite time.

20 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

The story also explains why Terry did not speak publicly after the Demar Hamlin incident. Obviously, having another cardiac arrest tragedy was more than he could bear. He received a lot of criticism for that at the time, wholly unwarranted.

It does explain in part why Terry reportedly called the UC Hospital and told them he would pay for any care that was needed, above what insurance considers usual.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Thanks, Doc.  Believe me ... you're not the first to express concern about how this was handled.  I remember that day, my aunt (who is a nurse) was downright pissed about it and immediately said that an ambulance should have been called.  I'm very much an "all's well that ends well," kind of guy ... but I also see how this could have gone in a different - and worse - direction.

I appreciate the kind words.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I think you're missing the point that Kim was not "a parent" or "a grandmother".  She was the hands-on president as well as owner, in the building every day

Which, to most people, would mean less (as far as heartbreak goes) than a parent or grandmother dying.

PS, she was at PSE every day. Not One Bills Drive. PSE is in downtown Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.